PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Pinnacle 15 vs. Marmot Sawtooth 15 vs. MH Phantom 15- regular

owlbebak
02-20-2006, 11:54
I have narrowed my new down sleeping bag to these three and would like comments from anyone who may have one.

Pinnacle 15 temp: 800 fill, 21 oz, 6” loft, 2 lb 12 oz, 62” shoulder, 40” foot, 7.5”x 13” per REI

Sawtooth 15 temp: 600 fill, 22 oz, 5” loft, 2 lb, 14 oz, 62” shoulder, 40” foot, 7.5” x 16” per REI

Phantom 15 temp: 800 fill, 20 oz, 6” loft, 1 lb, 15 oz, 60” shoulder, 38” foot, 8” x 14” stuff

Current the prices I have found on sale have the pinnacle and phantom the same with the sawtooth about 88 dollars less.

First of all is the Marmot Pinnacle $88 dollars better than the Sawtooth? They are same temp rating and size and about the same weight.

Second, the MH phantom is slightly narrower (ok for my body) and 13 oz less weight than the pinnacle but has a slightly larger stuff. The less weight is very attractive. I don’t know enough about material type to really understand the differences between the bags. Would the Pinnacle at 13 oz be higher quality bag?

So, if you have an opinion / comments please respond.

Thanks

Kerosene
02-20-2006, 19:13
I purchased the prior version of the Marmot Pinnacle 15 about 5 years ago and loved everything about it except its weight (plus the fact that that version didn't have a DWR cover).

At $300, the Phantom is 10% below MSRP. 13 ounces is a huge weight savings if the bags are really comparable from a temperature standpoint. Relative to the Western Mountaineering ExtremeLite series, the threadcount of the Superlight 15D covering is 359 versus 380 (which I think means that it might not quite as "silky".

If you're hiking from April to October, then I think you could get away with the Phantom given the comparable specs. Most folks go with a 20-degree bag in early Spring/late Fall (wearing a base layer to bed), so even if it's not quite as warm, it's probably good enough.

awol
02-20-2006, 21:17
I own the Sawtooth with no complaints. Slept on Springer last Fri nite in thesnow and lived thru it (I sleep cold) Am departing on Section hike in two days for ten days. That will be the longest time out in the winter with it.:)

owlbebak
02-20-2006, 21:39
Thanks Kerosene,

Since Backcountry.com had a sale on their bags, I picked up the Phantom 15 for $247.46 today. I liked the 13 oz weight savings on the bag. The marmot seemed very attractive too, but they had sold out of the regular size when I made my decision.

In the past week I purchased the REI UL 45 ( for 30 bucks) bag and I am in the lightening up mode. I think the phantom should do fine.