PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze 100% clogged after storage

soumodeler
11-04-2018, 20:22
Went out on an overnighter this weekend and something told me to check my filter before I packed it. Sure enough, it was 100% clogged. This is the second one that has done that - works fine on the trail, next trip its completely blocked. This one hasn't been used in at least 10 months, probably longer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep this from happening?

Any suggestions on reviving this one?

egilbe
11-04-2018, 20:43
Backflush it before storing it? Clean with bleachy water to sterilize, then rinse with clean water. Let it soak in water before taking it out after long term storage. I've been using my Sawyer squeeze fo four or five years now.

MuddyWaters
11-04-2018, 20:45
Do....not.....let.....it....dry......out

Thats my advice.

My very first one, tried on tap water, was impressed
Put away
6 mo later....no work
Called sawyer, they said soak it in water, soak it in vinegar,
Nope, still only get a trickle thru

Subsequent ones
Double ziplock with wet paper towel
Check every month or two

No issues.

FreeGoldRush
11-04-2018, 22:35
If mine sits a few weeks it always does this. I turn it vertical and pour vinegar into the end where the water enters. Takes about 20 minutes and you will get vinegar slowly dripping through filter. Then I rinse thoroughly with water and it works fine.

Maybe it's mineral deposits. Don't know. Not even sure if vinegar is a safe way to clean them. can anyone comment?

Rex Clifton
11-04-2018, 23:00
When that happens to mine, I screw the filter onto a smartwater bottle and set it upside down for a few days. Eventually the water will start to flow.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

methodman
11-04-2018, 23:58
Good thing I read this thread! Last time I used my Sawyer Squeeze, I back flushed it , cleaned it and sanitized it. It was locked up pretty good and I am going hiking in a few days. I have the water running thru it now. Thanks for reminding old folks!

Maui Rhino
11-05-2018, 02:12
After your hike, and before storage, backflush with distilled water. Tap water will have minerals that will crystalize in your filter and clog it. Vinegar can help restore flow after it's clogged, but the key to preventing problems in the first place, is distilled water....

DuneElliot
11-05-2018, 04:06
The reason this happens is because of hard water. When the filter dries out it leaves the normal minerals behind that we see in bathtubs and shower that build up over time. This doesn't affect our home pipes for a long, long time but due to the minute nature of the filter's holes it doesn't take much for it to become clogged from these mineral deposits.
I discovered this the hard way too and after every trip I back flush with clean water and THEN I back flush with vinegar a couple of times and only then do I put it away. This approach prevents the water from evaporating and leaving the deposits behind. The only bad thing about this approach....forgetting to rinse the vinegar out of the filter before drinking the water you just filtered...it's very stomach churning to take a big swig of that!

HooKooDooKu
11-05-2018, 09:58
After your hike, and before storage, backflush with distilled water. Tap water will have minerals that will crystalize in your filter and clog it. Vinegar can help restore flow after it's clogged, but the key to preventing problems in the first place, is distilled water....
I've been theorizing for a few years now that mineral deposits cause flow issues with Sawyer.

The theory started after I noticed that a brand new filter was slowly decreasing flow rate over the course of a JMT thru hike. Given the amount of granite and volcanic material you're hiking over, I figure the water is likely very hard with minerals, and the air is very dry. That likely meant (compared to my usual hikes in the moist Smokey Mountains) the water in the filter was drying out and must have been leaving behind mineral deposits.

After my last Sawyer Squeeze became practically unusable after winter storage, I now always back flush after each trip with distilled water mixed with vinegar, followed by a back flush with distilled water.

rmitchell
11-05-2018, 09:58
Kind of like a drip coffee maker.

I wonder if storing it wet might invite mold or mildew?

HooKooDooKu
11-05-2018, 10:37
Kind of like a drip coffee maker.

I wonder if storing it wet might invite mold or mildew?
From what I understand, mold/mildew needs moisture (or very high humidity) and something organic to feed on.
My guess is that if you've back flushed the filter, there isn't going to be anything inside the filter for mold to feed on.

Jayne
11-05-2018, 11:56
Hike more often! Use the filter every month!

soumodeler
11-05-2018, 13:23
Hike more often! Use the filter every month!
That is the plan!

Unfortunately, due to work and a move, I was not able to get out and go backpacking from late January until this past weekend. Luckily, now that I am settled in I am planning on getting out a lot more. It also doesn't hurt that I have a nearly endless supply of trails within 2 hours of me!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will get some distilled water for backflushing and some vinegar.

HooKooDooKu
11-05-2018, 14:34
When that happens to mine, I screw the filter onto a smartwater bottle and set it upside down for a few days. Eventually the water will start to flow.
Once clogged, I don't see the point in trying to unclog a Sawyer (unless you don't discover it's clogged until you're on the trail). You can buy replacements crazy cheap (compared to what water filtration cost only a decade ago).

As of 11/5/2018 on Amazon
Sawyer Mini for as low as $16.69 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2) (select Blue Single)
Sawyer Squeez for as low as $19.99 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze/dp/B0797KBCFL) (select the 'Facuet Adapter' version)
New Sawyer Micro Squeeze for $28.99 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBMC32Y) (the filter on top of the new Sawyer Select Series of foam filter bottles)

soumodeler
11-05-2018, 15:30
Once clogged, I don't see the point in trying to unclog a Sawyer (unless you don't discover it's clogged until you're on the trail). You can buy replacements crazy cheap (compared to what water filtration cost only a decade ago).

As of 11/5/2018 on Amazon
Sawyer Mini for as low as $16.69 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2) (select Blue Single)
Sawyer Squeez for as low as $19.99 (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP131-PointOne-Squeeze/dp/B0797KBCFL) (select the 'Facuet Adapter' version)
New Sawyer Micro Squeeze for $28.99 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBMC32Y) (the filter on top of the new Sawyer Select Series of foam filter bottles)
Thanks for those links. The last time I had checked Amazon, they were a little higher priced than Walmart, where the Mini was $20 and the Squeeze was $30. If I need to order a new one I'll happily save the extra money! Thanks!

MuddyWaters
11-05-2018, 15:35

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

My 1st one was sucked full to remove air, then immersed for weeks. No change.

Imo.. something irreversible happens. Not sure what. I have some doubts its as simple as solids plugging pores, that would be a partial plugge it seems. Mind pasded nothing by squeezing, i could barely suck thru it.

Rex Clifton
11-05-2018, 16:03
Thanks for those links. The last time I had checked Amazon, they were a little higher priced than Walmart, where the Mini was $20 and the Squeeze was $30. If I need to order a new one I'll happily save the extra money! Thanks!

I’m gonna get that Micro Squeeze. It’s small enough to leave on a SmartWater bottle and filter directly. You can do this with the Mini but the flow rate sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AllDownhillFromHere
11-05-2018, 16:18
Once clogged, I don't see the point in trying to unclog a Sawyer (unless you don't discover it's clogged until you're on the trail). You can buy replacements crazy cheap (compared to what water filtration cost only a decade ago)...

I imagine you throw away your car when it needs an oil change?

D2maine
11-05-2018, 16:48

while i agree with your point - that is a horrible analogy the relative value of a filter and a car are not in the same economic universe...

CalebJ
11-05-2018, 16:49

Hardly a reasonable comparison. If my car was $20, completely sealed from any and all maintenance, was showing life/safety related concerns like a failing water filter, and small enough to have minimal impact on a landfill - YES.

HooKooDooKu
11-05-2018, 17:26
I’m gonna get that Micro Squeeze. It’s small enough to leave on a SmartWater bottle and filter directly. You can do this with the Mini but the flow rate sucks.
I've got a Micro Squeeze on order (should arrive before the end of the week). Any word on what its flow rate is like?

I'm purchasing the Micro Squeeze because I like using the Sawyer in gravity mode, and the Mini has a fixed oversize output nipple. The Squeeze has a slightly smaller output nipple under the push/pull cap, and the cap can be replaced with the female half of the Inline Hydration Pack Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Inline-Hydration-Adapter/dp/B008JX0QP4).

For a brief while, I was interested in the One-Gallon Gravity Water Filtration System (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZVBSMX), simply because it included a Dual-Threaded Mini (that I've never seen available in anything other than this package).

Rex Clifton
11-05-2018, 17:28
I've got a Micro Squeeze on order (should arrive before the end of the week). Any word on what its flow rate is like?

I'm purchasing the Micro Squeeze because I like using the Sawyer in gravity mode, and the Mini has a fixed oversize output nipple. The Squeeze has a slightly smaller output nipple under the push/pull cap, and the cap can be replaced with the female half of the Inline Hydration Pack Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Inline-Hydration-Adapter/dp/B008JX0QP4).

It is my understanding that the flow rate is the same as the regular Squeeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Five Tango
11-05-2018, 18:35
Are you guys running straight vinegar thru the Sawyer Squeeze or a water/vinegar mixture?If a mixture,what's the ratio?

lonehiker
11-05-2018, 18:58
Sawyer told me to run straight vinegar through it.

gbolt
11-05-2018, 19:56
Sawyer told me to run straight vinegar through it.

Told me the same and after soaking and flushing with Vineger it was as good as new! Lasted a whole Thru Hike!

MuddyWaters
11-05-2018, 21:28

I worked with girl that traded car in because needed brakes. Wasnt going to put $500 into 3 yr old car, when could put it toward new.

Five Tango
11-06-2018, 16:40
Thanks,Everybody,for the vinegar info!

GreatLakesBackpacker
09-11-2020, 18:03
Wow! I know this is an old post but I am so happy I stumbled across it.

I have now had two, count them, two, Sawyer Squeezes that clogged like this on me. Never once were either of them used to filter high iron content water or silty water.

The first one I used on the Pemi loop in NH. The next year, on my first night on the Beaten Path in Montana I discovered that the filter was clogged almost completely. Fortunately, after several backflushes it was workable but still very bad. At home I backflushed many, many times but was never able to make an improvement in the water flow so I got a new one.

Used the new filter the next year on a trip and, again, it worked flawlessly. Got home, ran the correct ratio of bleach water through then several rinses with clean water and put it away for the year.
Fast forward to now. I am about to leave for a backpacking trip on the LHHT in Pennsylvania in three days. After the last fiasco with my Sawyer Squeeze I decided to try it before leaving. Unfortunately, and to my surprise, this one had the same issue.

After too many backflushes to even count, I was able to get it to trickle water out but only with a very considerable force being applied to the bag. That was obviously not going to be acceptable on a 5-day trip, so... got a new filter.

I am pretty anal with my gear and the proper care and cleaning after every trip but I figured I was doing something wrong. I live in a city of about 80,000 residents with a very good city water source so I wouldn't have thought it was a mineral / calcium problem but, I must be wrong.
From now on I will be using a bleach disinfectant rinse, a vinegar rinse, then a distilled water rinse and backflush because I don't want to deal with more clogged filters.

Thanks a lot for all the questions and possible solutions!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Five Tango
09-11-2020, 19:02
I have switched over to the Hydo Blue Versa Flow filters.I like the size,cost,weight,profile,and color coded ends.The one downside is that the filter does not make a tight enough seal for Smart Water back flushing but it will with an Acqua Fina bottle just fine without unfiltered water getting around the threads like when you do it with a Smart Water bottle.I have seen on YT where Dasanni and standard soda bottles and CNOC water bags make a leak proof seal.

I use a product called One Step,made for home brewers to clean their bottles and lines,to treat my bags,bottles,and filter.So far no problems but I ALWAYS test the filter before departure plus I carry a brand new unused one at 1.9 oz in my pack just in case the primary filter were to clog.

The first water filter I ever owned was about 20 years ago,a MSR ceramic filter,and I think the whole thing weighed in a little over two pounds so I laugh out loud carrying two filters at 1.9 oz each.A friend of mine had a very unpleasant trip when his Sawyer mini plugged up on trail and did not respond to his best efforts to back flush.Filter worked at such a trickle that it was essentially worthless...........

GreatLakesBackpacker
09-11-2020, 20:56
Interesting to know about that OneStep product. I may look into that.

Funny... I also owned one of those MSR ceramic filters; it was so heavy and bulky. I'm glad I finally upgraded to better technology.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
09-11-2020, 21:39
I've started cleaning my Sawyer at home first with a back flush of distilled water, then let some vinegar sit in it for a while, then backflush again with distilled water.
But at the start of my last trip, I still felt the filter was flowing at sub-par. So I'm now going to try to go the other way... after the flush routine, I'm filling it with distilled water and then storing it in a ziplok bag to the water won't evaporate.

Deacon
09-12-2020, 08:51
Here's a YOutube video from Sawyer with their recommended cleaning procedure.
https://youtu.be/0KeLHMUfEtY?t=139

ldsailor
09-12-2020, 10:50
My Sawyer filter clogs up every year even though I follow the storage instructions precisely. The first time this happened, I didn't discover the problem until I was on the trail and went to filter my first water. Since then, I have come up with a way to unclog it and have it come back to at least 90% flow when filtering. I soak it vinegar for a couple of hours and backflush it. Then i soak it in a mixture of bleach and hot water (not too hot) for a couple of hours. I backflush it and the filter is good to go. Be sure to squeeze the vinegar into the filter and the same with the bleach before you let the filter soak.

Longboysfan
09-17-2020, 09:18
Thank you for the reminder - I went and checked mine - all good.
Going on a section hike next month.

Time Zone
09-17-2020, 12:02
My Sawyer Mini is not quite outside my circle of trust. But checking it before each trip is now (unfortunately) part of my routine, as I no longer trust it if unchecked.

ChrisMek
09-17-2020, 15:41
I'm glad I read this post! I'm leaving for a section hike in 3 days. I tried my Sawyer Squeeze and could only get a trickle through it! I just bought a new one.

mclaught
09-17-2020, 18:40
I'm glad I read this post! I'm leaving for a section hike in 3 days. I tried my Sawyer Squeeze and could only get a trickle through it! I just bought a new one.

After not checking and having a clogged squeeze on the trail, and then next time having a slow squeeze after doing the vinegar, hot water and all that stuff, I just buy a new one before each trip now also. Out of all the money I spend getting to the trail and everything else involved in a section hike, I figure what's another 30 bucks once or twice a year to not have to worry about it.

RadioFreq
09-17-2020, 22:27
Here's a YOutube video from Sawyer with their recommended cleaning procedure.
https://youtu.be/0KeLHMUfEtY?t=139

That link took me to a Bigfoot filter comparison video. Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KeLHMUfEtY

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2020, 00:16
Yeah... two things that make the Sawyer really nice is that a whole replacement doesn't cost that much, and WalMart even carries them... making them very accessible.

Five Tango
09-18-2020, 09:20
One reason I switched over to Hydro Blue Versa Flow was there are no gaskets required.I actually found a Sawyer gasket on the trail once and remember thinking "somebody is going to be unhappy with their filter now."

I still carry a spare gasket in my kit bag for a Sawyer in the event someone should ever need one as most of my hiking partners are still invested in their Sawyers.

wccanoe
09-13-2021, 13:54
I have what I think is a brand new Sawyer Squeeze. I bought it before Covid and didn't get out. The only water it may have seen is an initial try with tap water, but I can't recall trying it or not. Anyway, I got out for a long weekend and I could only get drips out of the filter. I soaked it, tried multiple times etc. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this product. The bags are another issue, but I won't go there today.

I seriously doubt there is any calcium buildup on a practically new filter, but I will give vinegar a try. Any other tips? Anyone one else have disappointing first time experiences with this filter?

CalebJ
09-13-2021, 14:14
So no matter how long it was soaked, it never began to allow water to pass through?

Time Zone
09-14-2021, 12:39
I seriously doubt there is any calcium buildup on a practically new filter, but I will give vinegar a try. Any other tips? Anyone one else have disappointing first time experiences with this filter?

Please report back about how the vinegar does for you. Perhaps you have hard water and your (maybe) initial try with tap water was enough to cause issues. Longshot but who knows. It's worked for me.

FWIW my routine is to always test it with distilled water before going, and take it wet. If packed fully dry, even after being cleaned, it can be quite slow to get started. It's a high-maintenance item IMO, but nice and small.

CalebJ
09-14-2021, 14:01
The 'slow to get started' thing hit me the last time I went to use my BeFree. I had totally forgotten to soak it the night before and it had been several months since the previous use. It did -nothing- for several minutes, then only very slowly began to drip and increase to a decent salad.

HooKooDooKu
09-14-2021, 14:32
I have what I think is a brand new Sawyer Squeeze. I bought it before Covid and didn't get out. The only water it may have seen is an initial try with tap water, but I can't recall trying it or not. Anyway, I got out for a long weekend and I could only get drips out of the filter. I soaked it, tried multiple times etc. Needless to say, I am disappointed in this product. The bags are another issue, but I won't go there today.

If water has passed thru the filter, it's no longer "brand new".
Keep in mind these filters work by literally having microscopic holes in tubing... holes small enough that they mechanically filter out protozoa by making the holes too small for these single-cell life forms to pass thru.
So it doesn't take much in the way of mineral deposits to close up those tiny holes.

I've made the mistake of back flushing my Sawyer filter with tap water and then storing it for the winter. The next season, my filter behaved exactly as you describe (but I didn't find out until I was on the trail).
So now when I get home, I backflush with vinegar and then tap water before returning the filter to storage.

ldsailor
09-15-2021, 11:43
I have had the Sawyer Squeeze clog up on me several times. Once, I hit the trail without testing it first. Imagine my surprise when I tried to filter water the first time. I have since figured out how to resolve the issue. As mentioned in a previous post, run vinegar through the filter and let it sit in vinegar for an hour or more with the vinegar in the filter. I have also run bleach through the filter and let it sit for an hour or more. To clean out the vinegar and bleach, I backflush with about a liter of water. Without fail, the Sawyer comes back and gives me a steady stream when filtering water.

Do yourself a favor and get Sawyer Coupler (https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP150-Coupling-Filtration/dp/B018NJC1A6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=22G3GE54QF4K0&dchild=1&keywords=sawyer+filter+coupler&qid=1631720400&sprefix=sawyer+filter+coup%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-1) and use a Smart Water bottle to backflush water, vinegar and bleach through the filter. That syringe Sawyer provides isn't enough.

By the way, this clog has happened even after I followed the Sawyer instructions on storage for long term.

tflaris
09-16-2021, 15:13
Soak overnight in white Vinegar is what Sawyer told me to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OwenM
09-17-2021, 02:16
So now when I get home, I backflush with vinegar and then tap water before returning the filter to storage.
Not sure the tap water is a great idea. After a couple months of training hikes with no overnights or filter use, my Sawyer Micro would barely let any water through.
I do have hard water, but also have a filter on the tap at home whose water I use for backflushing the filter, so...I don't know. When it was getting used almost weekly last fall through spring, it didn't have any problems.
After the vinegar and distilled water flushes, I'm storing it in a freezer bag full of distilled water to see how that goes.
Don't know when I'll use it again, as I'm trying out a BeFree a friend gave me.

Five Tango
09-17-2021, 09:15
I have tried all the Sawyer products,BeFree,and Hydroblu Versa Flow.My preference is the Versa Flow at $22.95 Prime delivery or the standard Sawyer squeeze.Versa flow has no washer to get lost,has a great flow rate,a slim profile and weighs in at roughly 2 oz.I carry a spare as cheap insurance as I really like clean water.The Versa Flow has color coded caps on the inlet/outlet which think is a nice feature,can be used as an inline,squeeze,or gravity filter and a little simple back flush with filtered water on the trail is easy to do.

If you want to use your bottle as a dirty water container it needs to be an AcquaFina bottle as the Smart water bottle is not quite leak proof.I always filter from an Evernew bag to a Smart Water bottle with no issues though......

BAG "o" TRICKS
09-18-2021, 21:04
If after using your filter and you don't plan to use it again for a while I wonder what would happen if you backflush it with distilled water and then store it totally immersed in a sterilized glass jar filled with distilled water. I'm sure it would solve the problem of the filter drying out but not sure about bacteria on the filter housing from growing inside the storage jar over time?

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2021, 22:10
Not sure the tap water is a great idea. After a couple months of training hikes with no overnights or filter use, my Sawyer Micro would barely let any water through.
I do have hard water, but also have a filter on the tap at home whose water I use for backflushing the filter, so...I don't know. When it was getting used almost weekly last fall through spring, it didn't have any problems.
After the vinegar and distilled water flushes, I'm storing it in a freezer bag full of distilled water to see how that goes.
Don't know when I'll use it again, as I'm trying out a BeFree a friend gave me.
No idea why I said tap water... I meant to say DISTILLED water

901john
10-25-2021, 19:57
After getting burned by a 100% clogged Sawyer Squeeze on the Ouachita Trail last spring (thank goodness for backup Aquamira), I used a 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts warm water mixture to bring it back to life. Backflushed with the solution first, then soaked the filter in the solution for an hour. Restored the flow pretty well.

GreatLakesBackpacker
10-25-2021, 20:24
After getting burned by a 100% clogged Sawyer Squeeze on the Ouachita Trail last spring (thank goodness for backup Aquamira), I used a 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts warm water mixture to bring it back to life. Backflushed with the solution first, then soaked the filter in the solution for an hour. Restored the flow pretty well.It is good to hear that actually worked for you. I'll have to remember that in case it ever happens to me again.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

GreatLakesBackpacker
11-07-2021, 01:16
Preventing Off-Season Clogging (Video)
https://youtu.be/nD6n6Xj2nwEhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211107/e34d2cd0f1e67020d8a8d28765d7bafa.jpg

Five Tango
11-07-2021, 08:48
FWIW,I have always had great results using a product that home brewers use known as One Step.I run it thru my bags,hose,and filter after back flushing the filter with clean tap water which in my case is well water that has been run thru a salt operated water softener.The night before heading out I will test the filter and have never had a problem but at only 1.9 ounces for my filter I do carry a spare just in case there is a filter failure and someone needs one.YMMV

MtDoraDave
11-14-2021, 18:42
Preventing Off-Season Clogging (Video)
https://youtu.be/nD6n6Xj2nwEhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211107/e34d2cd0f1e67020d8a8d28765d7bafa.jpg

Excellent video.
I need to go get some distilled water.

GreatLakesBackpacker
11-14-2021, 19:10
Excellent video.
I need to go get some distilled water.Thanks! I'm happy to hear that it was helpful.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2021, 00:57
[QUOTE=Five Tango;2289580]I have tried all the Sawyer products,BeFree,and Hydroblu Versa Flow.My preference is the Versa Flow at $22.]

And add that since both ends are threaded, you can back flush with no syringe and no adapter.

GreatLakesBackpacker
11-15-2021, 07:34
[QUOTE=Five Tango;2289580]And add that since both ends are threaded, you can back flush with no syringe and no adapter.

That's good to know.

Odd Man Out
11-15-2021, 14:04
[QUOTE=Odd Man Out;2291127]
That's good to know.
What I do is attach a bladder of dirty water to the dirty side and an empty clean bladder to the clean side. (1 L Evernew water bags).
I have attached a short loop of spectra cord and a mini biner to the dirty bag so I can hang it from a tree limb (This cord also lets me know which bag is clean and which is dirty). Let it hand and do camp chores. When I come back, the dirty bag is empty and the clean bag is full. I remove the dirty bag and squeeze a bit of water back through the filter from the full clean bag. This way you can back flush every time with no extra time or work to speak of.

chknfngrs
01-17-2022, 16:46
Left my sawyer in my pack in the back of my buddys pickup for 4 hours at 19°. Think it’s toast??

GreatLakesBackpacker
01-17-2022, 18:05
Left my sawyer in my pack in the back of my buddys pickup for 4 hours at 19°. Think it’s toast??Hmm... that's a difficult one. Where was it before it ended up in the truck? Was it in a warmer environment or was it already cold? If it was inside your pack then I am guessing it was fairly well insulated, unless it was in an outside pocket. If it was insulated from the cold then maybe it would be ok.

HooKooDooKu
01-18-2022, 12:33
Left my sawyer in my pack in the back of my buddys pickup for 4 hours at 19°. Think it’s toast??
Per the Sawyer website, there is no way to field test a Sawyer filter to determine if it has been compromised.
Given how cheap a Sawyer filter is, there's no reason to ever "risk" using a filter that has the possibility it has been compromised.
Just buy a new one.

Fallesafe
01-19-2022, 01:27
I finished my AT hike on Dec 3 of this year. By the 20th of December (after just sitting around in my apartment for a few weeks), my Katadyn filter was already shot and would barely pass water. The same thing actually happened to my Big Berkee filter (at home) while I was away on the hike. I came home to find that $250 worth of filters on my home system were useless as well. I guess its just an annoying filter thing that once you put water through it, you have to keep it wet or it turns into a paperweight. *sigh*

Traveler
01-19-2022, 08:11
It takes approximately 3-hours for a cup of water to freeze in 18-degree temperatures. When secured in a pack the insulation value of the gear surrounding it would likely add another 30-minutes to an hour, perhaps more if its inside clothing.

That said, I typically use the "if there's a doubt, there is no doubt" philosophy and would agree with HooKooDooKu. Given the low cost of the Sawyer filters if one has a doubt the device is working properly, get a replacement to eliminate the risk.