PDA

View Full Version : Some members of our AT family can use some emotional support right now.

oldwetherman
11-05-2018, 23:26
Several years ago Liz and Fred Nichols moved to the Hot Springs NC area. They knew nothing about the AT or all the hikers that come through town. When they learned about the AT and saw all the hikers they wanted to do something kind for them. They didn't want to financially compete with the restaurants or lodging facilities so they started a facility and called it Hiker Ridge Ministry. It's located between the Post Office and Spring Creek. Hiker Ridge is open 7 days a week from 9AM until 5PM during the north bound thru hiker season and it's a place for hikers to relax during the day. Everything in the facility is FREE....paid for by Liz and Fred....They supply soft drinks, coffee, fresh baked (homemade by Liz) cookies, WIFI, oven, stove, bathroom facility, kitchen facility and plenty of space to relax, repack after resupply, store packs and gear while you enjoy Hot Springs, repack drop boxes. They provide packaging materials and trash disposal and a home cooked supper meal every Sunday afternoon-all FREE. I have the pleasure of volunteering there several days a week.
Now...the reason for my post. Liz was just diagnosed with a serious health condition and her prognosis is not very encouraging. Liz and Fred are kind, generous, caring people and can truly use some cheering up right now.
If you have it in your heart to take a few minutes to send a Get Well card with a nice note, it would mean the world to them. Their address is Liz and Fred Nichols 4407 Chapel Hill Road Marshall, NC 28753

KnightErrant
11-06-2018, 13:52
I have some thank you card / summit pic postcards left over from sending them out last week to the various hostels and trail angels that helped me out along the way. I did get some free cookies and fresh fruit from that nice little spot when I passed through Hot Springs, but I had forgotten to include them on my list. I remember being amazed that they welcomed stinky hikers on their nice upholstered furniture! I can pop a card in the mail for them this week. Thanks for the heads up!