PDA

View Full Version : Lost River Gorge, NH

illabelle
11-09-2018, 22:45
Planning hikes for 2019-2020...
I read in the AT Guide that Lost River Gorge near Kinsmans Notch is a rock jumble like Mahoosuc Notch. Maybe it would be a fun way to spend half a day while we're in the area. Or maybe it's just a dumb tourist trap. With all the rocks and roots and climbs and twists and turns on the AT, is this place worth $21 admission?

I think I'm talking myself out of it.

tdoczi
11-10-2018, 08:24
ive been once. it was fun. i dont remember paying $21 for it though and if i were there again i def dont think i'd pay $21 to see it a second time.

its also more like 2 hours than a half a day. on the plus side, you dont have to pay to get in to go to the snack bar if you happen to be hiking by on the AT.

another idea, perhaps better and cheaper, would be the flume gorge down the hill in the state park if you havent been.

VT-Mike
11-10-2018, 09:14
Both are fun if you like geology. It really displays the power of water and time. The River Gorge is pretty dependent on amount of rainfall too little and its not as dramatic and too much areas are closed. Both are just a couple or three hours walk through, depending on crowds.
I'd say both are worth it, displaying the uniqueness of the area you don't fully get on the AT itself.

peakbagger
11-10-2018, 09:18
It is run by the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests which was a key group early on who saved Franconia Notch from development. Its not a tourist trap as much as an accessible adventure. They have taken a natural feature and made it safe for folks who typically would not be able or motivated to visit. Probably a good option to introduce kids or relatives to an interesting area. If you want more of a tourist trap experience, then Polar Caves in Plymouth (or Rumney) NH is probably the place to go. The Flume gorge is wider and has more conventional boardwalks through it. No real boulder scrambling required. It is nice spot to go in winter as ice climbers climb in it once things freeze up.

If you are willing to hike a bit there are couple of free places to go in the whites. For boulder caves similar to Mahoosuc Notch, the Subway in Kings Ravine in Randolph NH is a half day hike and if you haven't been to Kings Ravine its worth the trip. Note you can also climb Mt Adams from the Ravine but all the exit trails from the base of the ravine where the Subway is located are very steep. There are two other similar locations in the northern whites, the boulders are smaller so there is less underground. One of them is Ice Gulch in Randolph. It has traces of snow and ice year round and is a great place to go on a hot summer day. Its a 4 hour loop. The other spot is Devil's Hopyard in Stark off the Kilkenny ridge trail.

illabelle
11-10-2018, 11:35
Thanks folks, this is helpful info.
:)

imscotty
11-10-2018, 20:31
Even though it was 50 years ago, my family still has laughs about the time we all had to push our older chubby sister through the 'Lemon Squeeze' at Lost River. It is good family fun in a pretty location if you can get a deal on the admission.