PDA

View Full Version : Request for Water Report: Grayson Highlands

carouselambra
11-12-2018, 14:38
I am heading up to Grayson Highlands this weekend (Nov 16-18) and wanted to know if anyone knew if the water is flowing at the springs at Rhododendron Gap and behind the Thomas Knob shelter. I do not see a recent update on Guthooks.

illabelle
11-12-2018, 14:56
Current radar shows widespread rain covering nearly all of Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, and large portions of Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia. Based on that, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of water at Grayson Highlands.

TNhiker
11-12-2018, 15:00
yeah....

its pouring pretty good here in knoxville....

also----basically, this whole year has been good for rain and there really havent been past problems (which usually happens in summer, anyways)....

Gambit McCrae
11-12-2018, 15:42
Don't know if you will be entering from Elk Garden Nobo up mt rogers to get to Thomas knob (Or sobo down Mt Rogers) via the AT but if you are the trail going between Elk Garden and Mt rogers side trail is pretty much always flowing very well in many areas.

There is great water typically at Briers ridge if you would like to take the horse trail down to Elk Garden.

fishbone421
11-13-2018, 11:33
You should be fine. I did a three day trip up over Wilburn ridge this past weekend (11/9-11/11) and water is everywhere. I did not quite make it to Thomas knob but the spring on crest trail just east of there is flowing as strong as I've ever seen it. Every little creek and runoff area is flowing well too.

Slo-go'en
11-13-2018, 13:36
This year, water is the least of your concerns. Except if there is too much water, that could be a concern.

Lone Wolf
11-13-2018, 14:07
plenty of water up there