PDA

View Full Version : Where to live

Wesgoat
11-17-2018, 14:31
I got into backpacking 3 years ago. I live in South Florida and there are not alot of opportunities for hiking here. Yes, i know about the Florida trail and have hiked a small portion of it. But, it's not the same as being in the mountains.

What I decided to do.....3 years ago..... was work here in Florida thru the winter months then go hiking in the summer.

I am a 57 year old male.....grew up in WV..... and am exploring the idea of moving closer.....permantly maybe....to hiking areas. At least then I could get out on weekends and be around others that hike also.

I have googled and read about places such as Chattanooga, Johnson City, Roanoke, Knoxville. I would like to stay in southeast but maybe Vermont, or new Hampshire or upstate New York.

Would like to get some thoughts from people that live in places that are hiking friendly. Real life experience if you will. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

methodman
11-17-2018, 14:48
Virginia, young man, Virginia!

Dogwood
11-17-2018, 14:51
The area between Asheville NC, Brevard NC, and Greenville SC. Hiking and a variety of outdoor activities and lifestyle options. In this area many full lifetimes of basically an infinite number of options exist...well beyond just the AT. I live in the Hotlanta area and most times go here regionally.

Feral Bill
11-17-2018, 16:03
I'm biased because I live here, but the inland northwest has great opportunities. A wilder experience, often. Frolic with the grizzlies.

hikermiker
11-17-2018, 16:14
I live in CT. It is terribly expensive but CT has 850 miles of "blue trails", many towns have local trails, and there are 50 or so miles of the AT + the AT has 85 miles in MA and 52 miles of the AT in NY east of the Hudson River. I am retired so I get to go hiking every day.

Tipi Walter
11-17-2018, 16:19
Morganton NC is the gateway to the Wilson Creek backcountry including Steels Creek, Upper Creek, Raider Camp Creek, Harper/North Harper, Lost Cove Creek, Gragg Prong etc. And Linville Gorge is nearby.

Boone NC is close to Mt Rogers and the AT and not far from the mentioned Wilson Creek areas.

Robbinsville NC/or/Tellico Plains TN are very close to some outstanding backpacking destinations. Snowbird, Citico, Slickrock, Bald River etc.

Cleveland TN is close to Big Frog and Cohutta wilderness---the biggest wilderness in the East.

daddytwosticks
11-17-2018, 17:32
I live in rural western NC and love this area. If you want a more urban area, but still be very close to hiking opportunities, I'd consider Asheville, NC.

Dan Roper
11-17-2018, 18:59
I grew up in Florida and came to Georgia (Athens) in 1979. I've stayed in North Georgia, well outside Atlanta (heaven help the poor residents of that place) ever since.

I've camped and hiked from California to Maine, though the great majority of my outdoor time has been spent in the Southern Appalachians.

There are many nice places to live between Roanoke and North Georgia, and certainly many more to the north, but those I'm unfamiliar with. But of all the cities I've visited in the good ol' USA in the past 57 years (I'm your age), Chattanooga is the only one I'd live in. Big enough to be a city but with amazine access to all kinds of outdoor adventures within an hour or two - the Cumberland Mountains, Lookout Mountain, the Cohutta Wilderness, lots of rivers and creeks, lots of rock climbing and spectacular caving, hang gliding heaven, terrific bicycling and mountain biking, wonderful weather year around, great national monuments including Chickamauga, which is superb, and nice people.

Other places can put together a long list of amenities, but Chattanooga is like a perfect storm. (P.S. I live an hour south of Chattanooga, so my opinion isn't biased by residence there.)

importman77
11-17-2018, 22:00
I'd say western NC. Bryson City, Franklin, Sylva, Waynesville, and Maggie Valley are all favorites of mine. I hope to have a vacation place in one of those areas within the next five years.

bigcranky
11-17-2018, 22:02
Western NC, eastern TN, anywhere in Virginia up from the southwest through the Shenandoah valley, North Georgia. Basically anywhere in the Southern Appalachians. Why stay in the South? Because you can hike year-round. Yeah, it's cold in the winter and there can be some snow, but the trails are passable and it's not -40F with 100mph gusts like, say, New Hampshire (no offense.....) Much longer hiking season, good variety of trails, friendly people.

Coffee
11-17-2018, 22:13
I enjoyed Shenandoah National Park when I lived in DC and thought the little towns on the eastern side could be great retirement places - I'm thinking of the secondary access routes to the park like near Old Rag. Virginia has great hiking and I miss it quite a bit.

illabelle
11-17-2018, 22:54
Western NC, eastern TN, anywhere in Virginia up from the southwest through the Shenandoah valley, North Georgia. Basically anywhere in the Southern Appalachians. Why stay in the South? Because you can hike year-round. Yeah, it's cold in the winter and there can be some snow, but the trails are passable and it's not -40F with 100mph gusts like, say, New Hampshire (no offense.....) Much longer hiking season, good variety of trails, friendly people.
Big Cranky says it best. We all tend to favor the places where we live, but really ANYWHERE in the Southern Appalachians is hiker heaven. So make your decision based on proximity to other stuff: family, work, whatever.

Dogwood
11-18-2018, 00:37

Big Cranky says it best. We all tend to favor the places where we live, but really ANYWHERE in the Southern Appalachians is hiker heaven. So make your decision based on proximity to other stuff: family, work, whatever.
The south isn't the only place to hike yr round! The immediate western coast is warmer in winter than the the east coast. One can spend a lifetime hiking yr round from Olympic NP/SW Canada along the Pacific Ocean all the way south along the Oregon and Cali coasts. When warmer explore inland. Some of my most memorable winter backpacking has been on the west coast in winter along the coasts.

In my at one time more limited mindset I said to those in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Montana "what do you hikers do in winter?" They said they bundle up and throw on ski, skates, and snowshoes. They go on hikes with special shoes called umm, snowshoes. They hike out on foot in boots on the ice of a frozen Lake Superior along Pictured Rocks National Seashore and elsewhere on the Great Lakes to view spectacular ice formations. There are those that also do it in Nev around Lake Tahoe on the TRT. Looking inland out on the ice on foot while hiking along seashores/lake shores is a great experience not available during the warmest months.

If you want to get out on foot you get out. You don't have to be in the south to do it.

illabelle
11-18-2018, 06:13
The south isn't the only place to hike yr round! ...... If you want to get out on foot you get out. You don't have to be in the south to do it.

The area between Asheville NC, Brevard NC, and Greenville SC. Hiking and a variety of outdoor activities and lifestyle options. In this area many full lifetimes of basically an infinite number of options exist...well beyond just the AT. I live in the Hotlanta area and most times go here regionally.

Just sayin'

peakbagger
11-18-2018, 07:50
What do you do for a living?. Is it a profession that is transportable? That really factors in on where you can afford to live. There are some lower cost areas up in Maine along the trail but they are remote form civilization

The other aspect to consider is do you like four seasons?. Cold and snow keeps many a southerner from moving up north. More than a few folks move up in the spring and enjoy the summer and fall but sometimes after Christmas they pull up the shallow roots they started putting in and headed south. The bummer is if they hung around until February as winter hiking and snowshoeing is great but it does require some skills that have to be learned. I know a few folks who have done it but far more that didnt.

My area in the Whites has many hiker friendly towns. My town has access to a daily bus route to Boston and the AMC Shuttle system. Lots of tourist season jobs but you will not earn a living or find benefits unless you are real lucky.

perrymk
11-18-2018, 08:59
Let's not overlook north Florida. I've put together a list of 30 or so day hiking trails in and around Tallahassee.

I had a work assignment years ago in Knoxville and while the area was incredible, it was crowded. Sometimes finding a place to park near a trailhead was a challenge. Maybe its different now.

Another low cost of living area is Alabama. The Talladega National Forest / Cheaha State Park is sometimes described as all the beauty of the Appalachians without the crowds. Only an hour or so from a couple of cities and probably less than two hours from Atlanta for those times when one needs/wants a city and its amenities. When I lived in Alabama (grad school) the joke was they could double the property taxes and still have the lowest in the country. However Alabama does have a state income tax. Somehow the government will get the money it needs to function.

As for me, I sometimes debate moving when I retire (in less than 3 years) with some of the same criteria as yourself. I am likely to stay along the I10 corridor in Florida. Nice hiking, nice beaches, the trails in Alabama and Georgia are only a weekend trip away, no income tax, low property tax outside the cities, and one can garden all year long.

Wesgoat
11-18-2018, 09:13
Appreciate all the info. Definetly would like to stay in the southern Appalachians. I have a few months yet to decide. My work is easily transferable. I am also semi retired. I will also visit these places and spend a few days there first. Do my homework if you will.

I will be leaving Florida in May or June to finish the AT. I have hiked to Pawling, NY in two different LASH. Might start back at DWG just to give myself a little more time before the Whites.

Then after that I will decide. Florida has become my home but at the same time I wish i could be hiking right now in the mountains. I just feel better when i am.

What's funny....to me anyway.....is that I'm thinking about basically retiring in the mountains when most people come to Florida to retire.

Thanks again for all the info.

Wesgoat
11-18-2018, 09:16
Perrymk.....yes north florida is defintely a thought. It has a lotta upside to what im looking for.

StubbleJumper
11-18-2018, 09:56
This question might be considered somewhat indiscreet, but do you have adequate wealth to pay for two homes? It strikes me that owning a home in the north for use during the summer, and a second home in the south for the winter would be ideal. That way, you avoid the excessive heat during the summer and you don't need to deal with 4 feet of snow when you want to hike in the winter.

peakbagger
11-18-2018, 10:25
I have run into several folks over the years that do something like the two homes thing but they use a motorhome. They have a pad with power, a well and septic system down south in the rural areas where land is cheap and the same setup north. They usually have a shed at each place and leave their seasonal stuff in it. They spend a lot of time at either spot with a lot of traveling in between. I have also know a few "gypsies" that travel around in a motor home with no fixed home. Many only do it for a few years and get it out of their system. At some point they get lonely and want a sense of place and despite having met many folks the friendships are shallow. A lot of them end up traveling several years and ending up selling the motorhome if they have the assets or just parking it one day in one spot when the money and motivation run out. If there is a spouse involved its usually that one of the other has a serious medical condition or just plain has gotten more infirm than the other one.

If you are in good physical condition you are probably looking at being retired for as long as you have worked. I see many folks active on the trails into the mid seventies but attrition starts to kick in the later into the seventies they get. Somehow you need to have plan for what comes after hiking but many folks transitioning to early retirement (like myself) are mostly focused on getting out of the rat race.

ldsailor
11-18-2018, 13:57
I will be leaving Florida in May or June to finish the AT. I have hiked to Pawling, NY in two different LASH. Might start back at DWG just to give myself a little more time before the Whites.

Then after that I will decide. Florida has become my home but at the same time I wish i could be hiking right now in the mountains. I just feel better when i am.

What's funny....to me anyway.....is that I'm thinking about basically retiring in the mountains when most people come to Florida to retire.

Great thread. I too live in Florida and have lived here for 45 years, but in the last year, I have been contemplating a move to somewhere where there is better hiking. Thanks for starting the thread.

Good luck finishing the AT next year. That's my goal, too. All I have left is Maine.

rmitchell
11-18-2018, 15:28
Perrymk mentioned state income tax. New York, Georgia, Alabama and Virginia have state income tax.

Tennessee does not have a state income tax on earned income but does have a tax on unearned income ( interest and dividends). There is a rather hefty sales tax. Property tax and wheel taxes vary widely from county to county.

Not sure about North Carolina or others.

greensleep
11-18-2018, 17:03
[QUOTE=Wesgoat;2228576]I got into backpacking 3 years ago. I live in South Florida and there are not alot of opportunities for hiking here. Yes, i know about the Florida trail and have hiked a small portion of it. But, it's not the same as being in the mountains.
Wesgoat,
I lived on Ft Myers Beach for 10 years, Punta Gorda for a couple years, and have been in the northern Florida area(not far from Alabama) for 17 years. I have recently retired and, like yourself, would like to be nearer to or in mountains. But, living on a fixed income, I need to keep the finances in mind. Were I to sell my home, I'd have enough to purchase a smaller home on a good sized lot in or near mountains. Florida is one of only 9 states that don't tax Social Security. Every other state at which I've looked taxes SS and that is a good portion of my income, covering most of my "nut". I'd have to live more frugally elsewhere, but haven't checked out relative property tax rates yet. I would love to be able to not worry about hurricanes, formosan termites, and a long drive or flight to mountain hiking!
good luck in your decision!

]

Crushed Grapes
11-18-2018, 18:00
Virginia, young man, Virginia!
+1
Also some very affordable small towns to live in

Venchka
11-18-2018, 18:32
Craft beer. Food Trucks. Live music.
Asheville. Definitely Asheville!
Wayne

Venchka
11-18-2018, 18:36
Perrymk mentioned state income tax. New York, Georgia, Alabama and Virginia have state income tax.

Tennessee does not have a state income tax on earned income but does have a tax on unearned income ( interest and dividends). There is a rather hefty sales tax. Property tax and wheel taxes vary widely from county to county.

Not sure about North Carolina or others.
Somewhere online is a 50 state list of total tax bight.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
11-18-2018, 18:53
You could think outside the box and go to Sweden or Norway. These countries have constitutionally guaranteed right to hike and camp on all undeveloped land.

Wesgoat
11-18-2018, 18:54
Hey guys appreciate all the responses. Can you guys get a little more specific about why and where. Methodman.....crushed grapes.....you guys say virginia......which i loved hiking thru couple years ago. Why? Where? Wayne you mentioned asheville.....which is definetly on my radar.....why? Other than food trucks and music. I live in Naples and i get that here.

Anything more specific would be appreciated. Dan roper talking about chattanooga was great.

Yes, taxes are a thought but not the end of the world. I have lived in Florida for 35 years.....other than 2 years in Vegas. No state income tax is nice. Tennessee, North Florida, fits that.....but at same time that is not the first thing I'm looking for. I want to be close to backpacking opportunities. Interesting and different types of hikes. I just want to explore. It's all about experiences.

Once again, i appreciate all the info and i am already learning more. Thanks to all

Wesgoat
11-18-2018, 18:56
Odd man out......actually I have a friend that lives in Scotland. That is a thought, but probably at least 3-5 years away. Want to explore more of the USA first

Rain Man
11-18-2018, 19:26
Somewhere online is a 50 state list of total tax bight.
Wayne

Looking at "taxes" is like looking at only half of a math equation. To do it right, gotta look at both sides. What services does the jurisdiction offer (or fail to provide/offer) its residents?

To the OP, you've gotten lots of good suggestions. Per your post request, I'll second the suggestion of Chattanooga. I live in Nashville, which is somewhat centrally-located for good weekend hiking trips all over the Southeast, but Chattanooga is even better-located. It's a happenin' town (a la Asheville), with city-owned high-speed Internet system, plus a big river and plenty of TVA lakes if that's your thing too. It's not too big, not too small, but is close to Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham. And it now has its very own REI. :)

Chattanooga is also in TAG Country for cavers. That's Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia. Some of the most-caves-per-square-mile of any area of the world.

Finally, not far from several cities on the Atlantic Ocean nor the Gulf of Mexico.

A downside is I-75 traffic (all those Yankees retiring to Florida clog it up).

illabelle
11-18-2018, 19:41
Craft beer. Food Trucks. Live music.
Asheville. Definitely Asheville!
Wayne
I love Asheville, maybe cuz I was born there! :banana
The Smokies, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Pisgah, Chimney Rock.
Beautiful place to live.

Crushed Grapes
11-18-2018, 19:52
You could think outside the box and go to Sweden or Norway. These countries have constitutionally guaranteed right to hike and camp on all undeveloped land.

Only problem with the Scandinavian countries is the possible high cost of living, but I'm sure with much research you could live on the cheap.

Gambit McCrae
11-18-2018, 20:17
These areas are primo!!!

Pringles
11-18-2018, 20:40
I lived in Knoxville for a bit. Fell in love with the Smokys.. But then I lived near Lake Superior for a couple of decades, and added sea kayaking to my backpacking addiction. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore was busy in the summer, but the shoulder seasons were fantastic. Now I live in a basin/valley, between Yellowstone and the Beartooths and the Bighorn’s and the Absarokas and within weekend paddling in the Tetons. Pick a spot. Enjoy an extended “vacation” or “work stay,” and move along.

DownYonder
11-18-2018, 21:42
Take a look at Ashe County, NC in the Lansing area. Low property taxes, very affordable housing, 15 minute drive to Greyson Highlands, New River for canoeing, 60 minutes to Boone & Abingdon, VA, 45 from Damascus. Beautiful area but the winters can be cold and wet.

Paleolith54
11-19-2018, 09:07
Hey guys appreciate all the responses. Can you guys get a little more specific about why and where. Methodman.....crushed grapes.....you guys say virginia......which i loved hiking thru couple years ago. Why? Where? Wayne you mentioned asheville.....which is definetly on my radar.....why? Other than food trucks and music. I live in Naples and i get that here.

Anything more specific would be appreciated. Dan roper talking about chattanooga was great.

Yes, taxes are a thought but not the end of the world. I have lived in Florida for 35 years.....other than 2 years in Vegas. No state income tax is nice. Tennessee, North Florida, fits that.....but at same time that is not the first thing I'm looking for. I want to be close to backpacking opportunities. Interesting and different types of hikes. I just want to explore. It's all about experiences.

Once again, i appreciate all the info and i am already learning more. Thanks to all

I lived in Knoxville for many years, and I think it is perfectly situated for what you say you want. I hiked and paddled all the areas folks have described here, for years.

Venchka
11-19-2018, 10:08
Take a look at Ashe County, NC in the Lansing area. Low property taxes, very affordable housing, 15 minute drive to Greyson Highlands, New River for canoeing, 60 minutes to Boone & Abingdon, VA, 45 from Damascus. Beautiful area but the winters can be cold and wet.
Shhhhhhhh! If you tell them they will come. 😄
Cold. Wet. Colder! Wetter! An understatement. But you get used to it. I suppose. The recent ice storm was beautiful. I’m glad it happened after we left West Jefferson. Someday the rebuilding of US 221 will be completed. Cheers!
Wayne

Speakeasy TN
11-19-2018, 11:09
Chattanooga needs to be your western boundry! I am looking to relocate to parts north and east of here. I may stay as close as Cleveland TN but I sure love the real Trail corridor soo.... Chattanooga looks good on a map but I'm 2 hrs from the bottom 150 trail miles.

Tipi Walter
11-19-2018, 11:39

I spent a great summer living in a Tipi in Laurel Springs next to a little creek---I called it Medicine Creek---and not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. This was around 1994. We set up "Tribal Grounds" of the Southern Metis and had pow wows by the creek and even ran sweat lodges. One time in a rainstorm the little creek jumped its banks and my tent got swamped under 2 feet of water . . . so I bailed.

Old Grouse
11-19-2018, 12:28
With apologies to Hikermiker in Post #5, I'm afraid Connecticut eliminates itself on the tax front. All income, including Social Security, is taxed. No realistic change is on the horizon.

peakbagger
11-19-2018, 14:15
No Sales Tax, no income tax, local property tax can be steep but very dependent on which town you end up in. There is a small dividends and capital gains tax but with tax planning if can be a minimal issue.

fiddlehead
11-19-2018, 14:37
Go west young man.
If you haven't been, you owe to yourself to at least check it out before moving somewhere in the east.
Colorado is probably the best but CA, OR, ID, MT, UT, are all also good.
I've hiked in most all the states and would pick CO or CA as my first choice if I choose to move.
I'm pretty happy in Thailand though although the hikings not so great. But lots of good stuff nearby (hiked in 9 different countries in the past 15 months)

futureatwalker
11-19-2018, 15:40
Odd man out......actually I have a friend that lives in Scotland. That is a thought, but probably at least 3-5 years away. Want to explore more of the USA first

Ahh! A topic I can provide an informed opinion on (though I am not retired at this point).

From a hiking perspective, Scotland has a lot to offer. There is the right to roam - so you hike and can camp where you wish in the hills (with a few minor exceptions along Loch Lomond), just as long as you are respectful of people's property. You can't camp in someone's backyard, etc.

The terrain is somewhat similar to New England, but without as much forest. So, you have a lot of mountains with clear views. These are called Munros (> 3000 ft), and people collect these (all 248). It's like the 4000 footers in New Hampshire.

There are some long distance paths: the West Highland Way, and the Southern Upland Way are the two I am most familiar with.

OK, it is a tad dark in the winter, and it does rain a bit... but there are some nice pubs for these times. I'd heartily recommend the Clachaig Inn, in Glen Coe.

Odd Man Out
11-19-2018, 16:45
Only problem with the Scandinavian countries is the possible high cost of living, but I'm sure with much research you could live on the cheap.

True. Norway is probably worse than Sweden. Also, you probably won't be eligible to get a visa that would allow you to work, so you basically would need to have a pretty generous retirement pension saved up to make this one work.

Venchka
11-19-2018, 16:58
Here’s a list for you:
Places, States, etc. not mentioned so far on these pages.
States adjoining states mentioned. Lower population. Lower taxes. You get the idea.
Places that haven’t been included on “Places to live” lists. By the time a community or region makes one of those lists it’s too late. They are on their way to, or have already been, “discovered”. Or ruined.
Be a pioneer. An explorer. Find your “Own Private Idaho.”
Wayne

DownYonder
11-19-2018, 20:13
Shhhhhhhh! If you tell them they will come. 😄
Cold. Wet. Colder! Wetter! An understatement. But you get used to it. I suppose. The recent ice storm was beautiful. I’m glad it happened after we left West Jefferson. Someday the rebuilding of US 221 will be completed. Cheers!
Wayne

On second thought, the locals are all on drugs, the sheriff is on the take, schools are horrible, no good restaurants and property values are going down, so any investment will yield negative returns. Probably should scratch it off the list!!

Venchka
11-19-2018, 20:36
On second thought, the locals are all on drugs, the sheriff is on the take, schools are horrible, no good restaurants and property values are going down, so any investment will yield negative returns. Probably should scratch it off the list!!
Tell it like it is Brother! Grinning.
My daughter lives in Ashe County. We were there in October. We’ll be back.
Wayne

Coffee
11-20-2018, 17:20
Go west young man.
If you haven't been, you owe to yourself to at least check it out before moving somewhere in the east.
I've hiked in most all the states and would pick CO or CA as my first choice if I choose to move.
I'm pretty happy in Thailand though although the hikings not so great. But lots of good stuff nearby (hiked in 9 different countries in the past 15 months)

If I were to choose a place to live with no consideration for taxes or cost of living, I would most likely choose Bishop, CA.

Out west, I also really like Colorado. The small towns I went through on the Colorado Trail that I could see myself living in include Lake City and Leadville.

Crushed Grapes
11-20-2018, 17:40
True. Norway is probably worse than Sweden. Also, you probably won't be eligible to get a visa that would allow you to work, so you basically would need to have a pretty generous retirement pension saved up to make this one work.

Yep, I've been researching for quite sometime on moving to Iceland. Not an easy task for a U.S. citizen.

Bubblehead
11-23-2018, 09:54
Hey Wesgoat...alot of your plans this year are similar to mine. I too live in Florida, Port Orange just south of Daytona Beach. I have also hiked two LASHes....Springer Approach to Pearisburg, VA and Pearisburg to just south of Mt. Everett in Mass. This year (2019) I hope to finish up the trail beginning May 3rd, but I'm starting just south of DWG, giving me time and distance to get the legs in the best shape before hitting the Whites....I believe this will give me the best chance to finish the trail. Flying Sanford, FL. to Lehigh Valley direct on May 3rd. Can't wait! Maybe I'll see ya on the trail!

Wesgoat
11-23-2018, 17:47
Hey bubblehead. Yea man, probably will see ya. I havent made concrete plans yet but feeling the same thing about starting near DWG to give me more time before the Whites. Didn't know about direct flights into lehigh valley. Will check that out! Was planning on starting same week as you. Good luck on your hike man

Shutterbug
11-29-2018, 23:04
I have lived pretty well all over the U.S. and I suggest that Denver, CO is as good as it gets for hiking. Even during the winter, there is hiking in the foothills. When it warms up a bit, there is unlimited hiking in the Rocky Mountains.

Greenlight
12-02-2018, 15:20
I moved from Indiana, which has it's own slate of excellent hiking trails, mostly in the southern part of the state, but my heart (and my pocketbook) wanted to be closer to the AT. I took a job in Arlington, VA and moved to Manassas so I'm only about 40 miles from The Trail. When I partially retire in five years, I'm probably only going as far as Front Royal, VA or perhaps the neighborhood of Winchester, VA or Harpers Ferry, WV. The wife and I plan on downgrading the house $ and upgrading to a nice C Class RV with tipouts to tour the hiking and biking trails across the country. It'll give us the flexibility to visit grandkids without being a burden on the kids, and experience the full range of American natural beauty from the old growth forests and trails up and down the West Coast, Rocky Mountains, Appalachian Mountains, as well as the ever growing mileage of converted rail lines that are now fantastic biking trails.

Wesgoat
12-02-2018, 18:48
Hey green light. Thanks for the info. I took a zero in front royal a couple years ago. Stayed at the mountain house hostel. I think that is what it is called. Right off the trail. Nice place.

I am defintely looking at eastern tennessee, western nc, or places in va. I will definetly visit some before deciding. But, even then it might not be permanent. I can always move around if need be for awhile.

Just want to be closer to trails. That's all.

Wesgoat
12-02-2018, 18:54
So, let's get a little more specific. When I hiked thru virginia on the AT a couple years ago I really enjoyed it. I liked the people , liked the views. It was good hiking. To all of those living and hiking in Virginia tell me more about your area.

Maineiac64
12-02-2018, 20:20
Go west young man.

I agree, west is where I would go. Add AZ to the list.

Greenlight
12-02-2018, 22:29
Hey green light. Thanks for the info. I took a zero in front royal a couple years ago. Stayed at the mountain house hostel. I think that is what it is called. Right off the trail. Nice place.

I am defintely looking at eastern tennessee, western nc, or places in va. I will definetly visit some before deciding. But, even then it might not be permanent. I can always move around if need be for awhile.

Just want to be closer to trails. That's all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk44188
You mean this crazy little spot? We parked our cars and hung out here after doing the northern half of Shenandoah this past summer. Great place, great proprietor.

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:50
i second the Virginia vote.

Venchka
01-01-2020, 23:51

Tell it like it is Brother! Grinning.
My daughter lives in Ashe County. We were there in October. We’ll be back.
Wayne
Alleghany County, NC is in our future.
Moving in 3 weeks.
We’re never going to be ready!
Wayne

Hoofit
01-02-2020, 08:41
I live in Flagler Beach, north Florida and also really miss the mountains so every few months, we pack the car up and leave early, about five in the morning, and make it to Asheville by lunchtime, about eight hours, for a beer, or two, at the 'Jack o' the Woods'.
So much good hiking and a city with lots of cool vibes....worth checking out ....but unfortunately, it has been 'discovered', so the prices have gone up a lot in recent years.

JNI64
01-02-2020, 08:59
I have lived pretty well all over the U.S. and I suggest that Denver, CO is as good as it gets for hiking. Even during the winter, there is hiking in the foothills. When it warms up a bit, there is unlimited hiking in the Rocky Mountains.

I concur 100% , that's my plan. ( or somewhere around there ) .

BradMT
01-03-2020, 10:38
The West is not for everyone... reading between the lines, I'm thinking you belong in Virginia.

Tipi Walter
01-03-2020, 12:50
The main question is not where you can live to go hiking---heck most cities have Greenways for hiking---but where you can live which is close to unrestricted backpacking opportunities. "Unrestricted" is the keyword.

No permits, no fees, no reservations, no designated You Must Camp Here madness etc---find these areas and have at it. The TN/NC mountains are still loaded with unrestricted trails and backpacking and camping opportunities---go where you want for however long you want.

JPritch
01-03-2020, 12:55
I have designs on Utah. My wife wants to stay put in our little town in VA. Not much middle ground there.

colorado_rob
01-04-2020, 10:03

I concur 100% , that's my plan. ( or somewhere around there ) . Well, sure, Denver is great in terms of access to mountain hiking, skiing, etc, but it is a big crowded city. We live here though only because we have lots of kids and grandkids here. We (or at least, I) would prefer to live in a smaller "mountain" town, such as Salida or Buena Vista (pronounced by residents bee-une-a-vista!?). Salida is particularly attractive to an old fart like myself because it has a full size, full-service hospital right near town. I search land listings near Salida on a regular basis, and have a cabin plan all ready to go when the time comes. Lots of other really cool towns, like Lake City, Ouray, etc, but we like closer access to Denver (2:15 drive from Salida)

Not sure what Tipi means by "restrictions", but if there are any restrictions to hiking/camping/backpacking in most of CO, I sure don't know of any. Zillions of acres of wilderness (no mechanized anything) and National forests. Except of course in the national parks, which are crowded and need permits, but are cool to visit now and then, but a small percentage of CO hiking terrain. One advantage of having these 4 national parks is that they concentrate the tourists. 90% of the time when we're travelling out of state, and it comes up in conversation that we're from CO, the folks will say: "Yeah! We LOVE Estes Park", meaning they love Rocky Mountain National Park, confusing the little tourist city of Estes Park with RMNP.

Another advantage of CO is that it is centrally located for visiting WY, UT and NM, which all have their charms, especially Utah. Can't say enough good things about southern Utah, except the extreme politics.

A big disadvantage of CO these days, for a good part of the sate (and surrounding states), is the prevalence of beetle kill for pine trees. The good news is the huge percentage of great hiking terrain that is above treeline, but of course you can see the dead forests from there still.

foodbag
01-05-2020, 19:32
New York State has a ton of opportunities for every outdoor activity imaginable. It also has winter, which is something to consider when moving there from Florida. That being said, I moved to Florida from New York 7 years ago, and if my other half ever decides that she wants to go back, well, I'm outta here. I always took the outdoors for granted when I lived in New York, but never again. I miss it.

Venchka
01-05-2020, 21:55
New York State has a ton of opportunities for every outdoor activity imaginable. It also has winter, which is something to consider when moving there from Florida. That being said, I moved to Florida from New York 7 years ago, and if my other half ever decides that she wants to go back, well, I'm outta here. I always took the outdoors for granted when I lived in New York, but never again. I miss it.
Think Idaho. Several lifetimes of outdoor activities. The neighboring states and provinces aren’t too shabby either.
And. It’s not New York State. 👍
Cheers!
Wayne