PDA

View Full Version : Modern language

GolfHiker
11-22-2018, 12:12
I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette. Got me thinking of my last AT hike this past summer, and an issue, concern that’s been building with me for a while. “What’s with the constant use of foul language, by mostly young people on the trail”. Not to generalize too much, not to say it’s all Millenials, and certainly not being a prude as I feel I know the right time and place to let bad language fly, but I sit and listen to these guys and girls talk like they’ve got no idea. Like it’s normal to inject swearing into all discussion, all the time. I understand we all have different norms, times change, all that, but it just feels like supposedly intelligent people have dumbed down too much on the trail. It’s easy to get comfortable with friends on the AT, and from observation, no one seems to care who’s around, who’s listening, who might be offended by bad language.

in the end, I guess I’m mostly concerned at how little people try to speak proper English, making themselves sound less intelligent than I assume they are.

Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me! I don’t expect this “problem” to go away or get any better. I just thought I’d elaborate on a trend I have noticed.

Venchka
11-22-2018, 12:28
Or maybe some of the people dumbed up for the trail?
Or. Like trees falling in the wilderness, does anyone hear what is wrong?
Perhaps backpacking alone is the answer?
Happy Thanksgiving! Have fun!
Wayne

ldsailor
11-22-2018, 12:38
“What’s with the constant use of foul language, by mostly young people on the trail”. Not to generalize too much, not to say it’s all Millenials, and certainly not being a prude as I feel I know the right time and place to let bad language fly, but I sit and listen to these guys and girls talk like they’ve got no idea. Like it’s normal to inject swearing into all discussion, all the time.

Been to a movie lately? Everything is F this and F that. I suppose the writers think it helps the script, but for me, it's just distracting and unnecessary. TV, when you get away from the broadcast channels, is the same. I would like to get into a writers head and find out why they believe the foul language is necessary to advance the story. I've seen some recent movies that had very little foul language and thought the movies were great in spite of the lack of foul language (sarcasm).

It's hard to say whether people are following the movies and TV programs or they are following everyday people, but I just don't see what it does for a conversation other than make me question someones range of vocabulary.

Tipi Walter
11-22-2018, 13:21
When I'm backpacking the AT I try at all costs to avoid the shelter system and certainly when other people are around the shelters---otherwise if it's empty I'll take a break and maybe do a water run.

Conversations are vastly overrated unless I'm talking to Miss Nature who always has something cool to say.

On my last 21 day trip I didn't a single human for the first 15 days and then when I did see a couple backpackers I was stupid chatty cathy for 30 minutes which isn't honorable or needed.

https://media.giphy.com/media/AzM4Ov6RW6qIw/giphy.gif

Deadeye
11-22-2018, 13:23
My mother taught us the way to swear effectively. She told us kids that throwing curse words into every sentence diminished their value, but dropping an f-bomb once a year had an impact - like a bomb.

I'm bothered by the coarsening of our culture, too, but I can't blame it on the young. Last summer I stopped at a fishing area, and there were two adults with two youngsters (10-ish years old) fishing from shore. The adults could have been parents, but looked more like grandparents, and they were dropping f-bombs all over. What do you think those kids have learned?

Deadeye
11-22-2018, 13:27
I also remember the first time I saw Buddy Hackett's stage routine, after seeing him on network TV for years. He was a lot funnier on Ed Sullivan when he couldn't use curse words as a crutch.

And speaking of movies, I just saw "Old Man With a Gun" (Robert Redford), and neither my wife nor I could remember a single swear the entire movie.

FlyPaper
11-22-2018, 13:30
My wife and I went to a stand-up comedy club recently. Sadly, many comedians seem to think if they inject the "F" word randomly into a few sentences it somehow turns a mediocre joke into something funny. Personally I find it insulting, not because my ears are tender, but because they think I'm supposed to snicker at a curse word like some middle school boy. And I agree with the unnecessary cursing in movies. I suppose they think it's more realistic, but movies, by nature are not realistic. It certainly makes the script writers look less intelligent.

MuddyWaters
11-22-2018, 14:16
Simple sign of ignorance

Hear it just walking in walmart from certain people.

zelph
11-22-2018, 14:22
Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me!

Why would you encourage the use of foul language here???:confused::eek:

Tipi Walter
11-22-2018, 14:31
Why would you encourage the use of foul language here???:confused::eek:

Step back from all human "exhalations"---our words---and I better understand why some spiritual devotees take long vows of silence.

What we say or even write is mostly ego-generated---swear words or not---and are attempts to sell "our brand"---promote ourselves.

Captain Panda
11-22-2018, 14:36
Lighten up; actions speak louder than words. Thru hikers have made the trail the modern Woodstock; "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Much more concerned about that than language!!!! The perceived entitlement that thru hikers exude when in trail towns, hostels, etc. is way more damaging to the trail community than four letter words. Who cares !!!

Tipi Walter
11-22-2018, 14:50
Lighten up; actions speak louder than words. Thru hikers have made the trail the modern Woodstock; "sex, drugs, and rock and roll". Much more concerned about that than language!!!! The perceived entitlement that thru hikers exude when in trail towns, hostels, etc. is way more damaging to the trail community than four letter words. Who cares !!!

I agree with the sex, drugs and rock and roll sentiment. Sometimes it's one big party on the Trail.

Not sure about your last point. Is thurhiker entitlement real or perceived to be real in your opinion?

I perceive it to be extraordinarily Real---But it's old news and has been going on for a long time. I call it Holding Court---whereby a vaunted Thruhiker will now take your questions---of course asking none of his/her own from the entourage that has gathered around his picnic table at the shelter.

To repeat, avoiding trail shelters is my solution for avoiding all of the above.

And you're right, four letter words mean little when compared to your other examples.

GolfHiker
11-22-2018, 15:18
I agree with most of what I’m seeing here. I fully understand that poor language skills is not simply an AT ( Thru hiker or not) problem. Society has allowed it to happen, younger generations adopt and accept it. No obvious way to change things...

i was was very lucky, doing a thru with people of all ages, and believe me, there was no appearance of “entitlement” in our group, although I can and did see examples. I take the AT experience for what it is, a great number of people, sharing, enjoying, suffering together to complete a stern test. You will meet all kinds along the way, just like in everyday life.

As for Zelph, “ agree with me, jump on me, swear at me”, that’s my version of humor..

“Who cares?” I guess I do or I would not have started this thread.

MuddyWaters
11-22-2018, 18:37
Language was pretty bad when i was in college 30 yrs ago.

The difference ...people didnt speak that way in public or around strangers.

You can thank tv and what passes for music these people listen to, for desensitizing them to speaking that way in public

TEXMAN
11-22-2018, 21:25
I also remember the first time I saw Buddy Hackett's stage routine, after seeing him on network TV for years. He was a lot funnier on Ed Sullivan when he couldn't use curse words as a crutch.

And speaking of movies, I just saw "Old Man With a Gun" (Robert Redford), and neither my wife nor I could remember a single swear the entire movie.

If you look at the posts on this subject so far you will see that most are from us old folks >> Buddy Hackett? anyone under 35 probably has never heard of him.
I work part time in a pizza place and I can work a whole shift without understanding anything the younger generation is talking about ie. video games, tech, music, movies so I have learned that they have their own language ...so what is offensive to me is simply normal to them

By the way all of us old folks only have ourselves to blame because we started the decline of what stood for morality in the 60's and now we have to accept the consequences

TNhiker
11-22-2018, 21:52
I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette.

not my f***ing thread.....

(sorry.....couldnt resist)

egilbe
11-22-2018, 22:41
Profanity is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly.

Nobody swore as much as my drill instructor. It may be a mitary thing. It's grown tremendously the last 20 years. More people exposed to it.

Nanatuk
11-22-2018, 23:22
I agree with Deadeye's Mom. The rarity of dropping an F-bomb is what makes it effective.

Wise Old Owl
11-23-2018, 00:21
I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette. in the end, I guess I’m mostly concerned at how little people try to speak proper English, making themselves sound less intelligent than I assume they are.
Feel free to agree with me, jump on me, swear at me! I don’t expect this “problem” to go away or get any better. I just thought I’d elaborate on a trend I have noticed.

You are 66 years old. You have choices, you understand when you are among men the language perhaps to put a stamp on it, can be salty. The presence of women can dampen the language you speak of. That was how we were brought up, much of that is gone now. Much like being a CB'er we all got into it and then out of it as truckers were f-bombing all the time. To think that culture is static would be inaccurate. How about taking the high road and say "Hey can we avoid all the f-bombs, I would really appreciate it"...and if that doesn't work feel free to set up a tent elsewhere. Not worth the angst.

u.w.
11-23-2018, 14:33
I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette.

not my f***ing thread.....

(sorry.....couldnt resist)

lmFAo... :)

u.w.

BlackCloud
11-23-2018, 15:10
1. The government schools are doing an increasingly poor job of teaching the citizenry the intricacies and nuances of the English language;
2. Hollywood and the rest of the seditious media oligarchy have irretrievably coarsened the culture; and
3. The mantra of politically correct speech is limiting the bandwidth of expression for those unschooled and otherwise non conversant with the vastness of the language, so many turn to profanity for expression.

Tipi Walter
11-23-2018, 16:07
I have a wreck in my dictum.

Dogwood
11-23-2018, 16:28
I've now been in 49 states interacting on a personal face to face social level extensively. From my observations it's not so much about age but region of the country. The region with the highest degree of profanity overall is the northeast or people of northeast origin particular the tri state area of eastern CT, northern NJ, eastern NY, eastern PA, MD, and MA. WB and the AT is highly representative of north easterners. You don't hear the level of profanity overall on the west coast, midwest, and native south easterners as one does in those above areas.

A digital culture that is wrought with social media non face to face impersonal my feelings matter most attempts at communication plays a strong role in heightening what Tipi said, what we say or even write is mostly ego-generated---swear words or not---and are attempts to sell "our brand"---promoting ourselves. What plays a strong role is a digital based culture where we're led to believe we're more connected when in actuality in some significant aspects results in being less connected/more disconnected), more alienated, and more self absorbed.

GoldenBear
11-23-2018, 19:23
After posting, I realized my hypocrisy, and removed my post.

Deadeye
11-23-2018, 19:43
I have a wreck in my dictum.

...is there a mic-dropping emoji?

TexasBob
11-23-2018, 21:40
1. The government schools are doing an increasingly poor job of teaching the citizenry the intricacies and nuances of the English language....................
At 42 you haven't attended a public school in 24 years so exactly how would you know what goes on in "government schools"? If you have a problem with "government schools" not teaching proper English then take that up with your school board but I can assure you that teachers teach proper English and profanity in the classroom is forbidden whether it is by a teacher or a student.

illabelle
11-23-2018, 23:29
At 42 you haven't attended a public school in 24 years so exactly how would you know what goes on in "government schools"? If you have a problem with "government schools" not teaching proper English then take that up with your school board but I can assure you that teachers teach proper English and profanity in the classroom is forbidden whether it is by a teacher or a student.

Unfortunately this is not always true. :(

Dogwood
11-24-2018, 00:28
Group think is involved too.

BTW, increased intelligence is correlated with less profanity such as in more highly educated scientific circles but I've been in some biz meetings with everyone in the room University educated many with MBA's with rampant profanity. If you don't use profanity and ego you could be deemed weak. So socioeconomic status is not immune from profanity.

Traveler
11-24-2018, 08:37
I guess business meetings plagued by nefarious MBA's in attendance are different in some places than in others. I find most senior level executive meetings are usually staid and polite from my experience. By the description, the caliber of attendees differ greatly from those who are well educated from those who, despite the pedigree of the schools they attended, were not destined to be.

Dan Roper
11-24-2018, 10:29
The abundance of profanity was a topic at our Thanksgiving get together Thursday. Those present included a 96-year-old pastor who served in the Navy during World War II. The youngest present were my sons, age 24 and 21, one of whom is currently a student at a large southern university. He offered that profanity seems to make the user less intelligent and decent, but only if you've grown up in an environment in which profanity is frowned upon. The conversation included a reference to the older movies that lacked vulgarity and profanity yet were far more entertaining than a lot of what has come out from the 70s forward. We noted that the great thinkers and writers of the 18th and 19th century were often educated at home or by tutors - no public (or private) schools with massive curriculums. Some of the greatest thoughts ever put to paper were by those raised on farms or frontiers, and of course never veered into profanity. My family doesn't use profanity at all. We're not shocked or offended by it - we can enjoy a conversation on the AT with folks "who don't know differently." It seems a shame that society is coarsening but that, after 20 years, our abilities to think and communicate seem to have regressed rather than progressed. With the benefit of 175 years of progress in education, shouldn't most of us be able to communicate like Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Payne?

Dan Roper
11-24-2018, 10:30
Edit: I meant to write "after 200 years" our abilities to think and communicate seem to have regressed, etc.

GolfHiker
11-24-2018, 11:19
[QUOTE=Dogwood;2229033]Group think is involved too.

This is is so true. 100% spot on. I’m pretty sure if you take a chronic swearer(?), who has support, feeds on the group, and place said person in a totally non swearing environment you would see a quick change. Another way to say it, would you speak offensively in front of your mom? Probably not.

Tipi Walter
11-24-2018, 12:45
The richest spewing of profanity I ever heard was from a two-tour Vietnam veteran and Green Beret as we drove together to the VA hospital in Winston-Salem in 1984 for some appointments.

It was artfully crafted and spontaneously explosive---and possibly a thing of beauty.

Beyond this, I think the Vietnam War itself elevated the F word to its present popularity. I guess if you could distill in one word the whole Vietnam experience it would be "F***!"

Of course, I wasn't around sailors during WW2 as I hear they swore like . . . uh . . . sailors.

MuddyWaters
11-24-2018, 13:16
Are you @&$#@# $#&@ers still talking about this $#@#ing $@#&?

jefals
11-24-2018, 15:09
Been to a movie lately? Everything is F this and F that.
Yeah. Seems like there's also always
somebody sitting on the pot, standing at the urinal, or puking. Do they really need to show all that?

atraildreamer
11-24-2018, 15:16
Been to a movie lately? Everything is F this and F that. I suppose the writers think it helps the script, but for me, it's just distracting and unnecessary. TV, when you get away from the broadcast channels, is the same. I would like to get into a writers head and find out why they believe the foul language is necessary to advance the story. I've seen some recent movies that had very little foul language and thought the movies were great in spite of the lack of foul language (sarcasm). ...

Case in point: "A Walk in the Woods", much anticipated by the hiking community, would have been a much better movie if they had put a strip of duct tape over Nolte's foul mouth.

i'll never watch it again as it stands, maybe, if they sanitize it for network TV.

Maybe they will do a re-make, use real hikers and include more realistic, and hilarious, hiker experiences.

atraildreamer
11-24-2018, 15:19
Profanity is the attempt of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly.

Nobody swore as much as my drill instructor. It may be a mitary thing. It's grown tremendously the last 20 years. More people exposed to it.

Maybe Sgt. Rock will make a comment...:)

Redbird2
11-24-2018, 16:12
Sadly it is just part of the modern culture. Certainly not restricted to young people. Wouldn't it be great if all people were more courteous and thought of others more highly than themselves?

fiddlehead
11-25-2018, 08:42
I blame Hollywood.
I live as an expat in Asia and many of my friends are from England, Australia, and Europe.
I rarely hear it from them.
But once I'm back in the USA, yes, it's much too prevalent.
Doesn't say much for our culture.

Traveler
11-25-2018, 08:52
Lets continue to blame anything but ourselves for this turn of culture, it feels better to have a villain and is far easier than looking internally.

KnightErrant
11-25-2018, 14:02
Ever heard this quote? "Intellectual laziness and the hurry of the age have produced a craving for . The torpid brain has grown too weak for sustained thought. There never was an age in which so many people were able to write badly."

The specific profanity element aside, that's what this conversation reminds me of.

The funny thing is, that quote is from the year 1891.

Xkcd did a wonderful collection of these timeless "The useless youths don't take the time to talk proper!!" rants from the turn of the 20th century to illustrate that [I]every generation believes the following generation is failing at communication and life in general. You can read them here: https://xkcd.com/1227/ Personally, I think this is a natural result of the fact that we tend to judge our generation based on ourselves and our friends, while judging other generations-- particularly younger ones-- based on the worst examples that we observe (in person or on tv/internet/etc). Combine that with the fact that language is constantly and quickly evolving and an older person might not understand the language that young people are using to communicate among themselves, and you have older people convinced that the English language is positively doomed. Of course, there are stupid and careless people of every generation, so sometimes people really do use language poorly. But in general, sit back and relax, folks. The kids are alright.

But regarding the original topic of profanity, I do think it's partially regional. I met two women from Boston on the AT this year and felt myself literally flinch a couple of times when I first met them and heard them cussing people out over mundane things. It took a mutual trail friend to talk about how nice they were before I realized that the profanity was just a normal part of their speech and that it didn't mean they were angry or insulting, and in fact they were nice ladies. I also think it relates to how most popular TV shows these days are not network shows that censor profanity. Instead it's all Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc. where there's almost a competition over who can be the most profane and "edgy". I think sparsely-used profanity can pack a meaningful punch in conversation or in comedy, but when practically every noun in a sentence is modified by the adjective "f*****g" the words just become noise. Not a fan. There were definitely people like that out on the trail this year, but I didn't observe it to be a generational thing.

Puddlefish
11-25-2018, 14:36
You can tell your own kids not to swear, you can lie to them and tell them that it's a sign of lack of intelligence, of poor vocabulary, whatever your prudish reason is. What is comes down to is that there's no actual connection between curse words and intelligence or vocabulary no matter how much your parents might have told you this. Language evolves, old people yell at clouds and think fondly of days that never were, generations make wild generalizations about each other. This has been going on since the dawn of history.

The great thing about being on the trail, is that you get to talk to all different kinds of people, you meet people you wouldn't have otherwise met. Accept them for what they are. Overcome language differences, overcome cultural differences, overcome generational differences. Don't look for a reason to be offended.

Dogwood
11-25-2018, 15:01
I have a question for those that have done thru hikes. Did you find those somewhere into their thru hikes especially nearing the end using less profanity than early on? On two AT NOBO's even when I was among those from the northeast with angrier attitudes using copious profanity I recognized later on these people less prone to using profanity. On a 08 PCT NOBO and on several later LONG PCT LASHes profanity was almost unheard. I too on that first AT NOBO found myself less prone to using profanity the further I went. I take from this culture and GroupSpeak having a profound influence on using profanity. I take from these observations sobering up outside of culture to have great benefits we aren't fully aware of until we're outside of it.

putts
11-25-2018, 20:44
You can tell your own kids not to swear, you can lie to them and tell them that it's a sign of lack of intelligence, of poor vocabulary, whatever your prudish reason is. What is comes down to is that there's no actual connection between curse words and intelligence or vocabulary no matter how much your parents might have told you this. Language evolves, old people yell at clouds and think fondly of days that never were, generations make wild generalizations about each other. This has been going on since the dawn of history.

The great thing about being on the trail, is that you get to talk to all different kinds of people, you meet people you wouldn't have otherwise met. Accept them for what they are. Overcome language differences, overcome cultural differences, overcome generational differences. Don't look for a reason to be offended.

I agree with this.

...And I'm reminded of the man who I met on my SOBO thru hike. He was in his 60's, cussed constantly, very "rough around the edges". In fact, I was just talking to a friend about him because we spent Thanksgiving on the trail together. He was EXTREMELY intelligent, and the words between the cuss words were filled with so much wisdom. Not silly trail B.S. ---oh no! I said S!!!-- He spoke from a heart of gold about life, ups, downs, love, struggle, turmoil, peace - He was a blessing to listen to.

perdidochas
11-26-2018, 18:56
I have followed TNhiker’s thread, Campfire Etiquette. Got me thinking of my last AT hike this past summer, and an issue, concern that’s been building with me for a while. “What’s with the constant use of foul language, by mostly young people on the trail”. Not to generalize too much, not to say it’s all Millenials, and certainly not being a prude as I feel I know the right time and place to let bad language fly, but I sit and listen to these guys and girls talk like they’ve got no idea. Like it’s normal to inject swearing into all discussion, all the time. I understand we all have different norms, times change, all that, but it just feels like supposedly intelligent people have dumbed down too much on the trail. It’s easy to get comfortable with friends on the AT, and from observation, no one seems to care who’s around, who’s listening, who might be offended by bad language.

in the end, I guess I’m mostly concerned at how little people try to speak proper English, making themselves sound less intelligent than I assume they are.

It's an age thing. I remember being in my early 20s back in the late 1980s, and for a while I was cursing like a sailor (I could use the F-bomb as most parts of speech--interjection, adverb, adjective, noun and verb (couldn't use it as a conjunction). Visited home, and almost dropped the f-bomb around my mom, and then realized that I had to fix my vocabulary. Now, about the only time I use profanity is when I hurt myself.

perdidochas
11-26-2018, 18:57

I agree in terms of comics--most are better without swear words. Eddie Murphy's greatest comedic work was when he was on SNL and had TV censorship.

perdidochas
11-26-2018, 19:01
Ever heard this quote? "Intellectual laziness and the hurry of the age have produced a craving for . The torpid brain has grown too weak for sustained thought. There never was an age in which so many people were able to write badly."

The specific profanity element aside, that's what this conversation reminds me of.

The funny thing is, that quote is from the year 1891.

Xkcd did a wonderful collection of these timeless "The useless youths don't take the time to talk proper!!" rants from the turn of the 20th century to illustrate that [I]every generation believes the following generation is failing at communication and life in general. You can read them here: https://xkcd.com/1227/ Personally, I think this is a natural result of the fact that we tend to judge our generation based on ourselves and our friends, while judging other generations-- particularly younger ones-- based on the worst examples that we observe (in person or on tv/internet/etc). Combine that with the fact that language is constantly and quickly evolving and an older person might not understand the language that young people are using to communicate among themselves, and you have older people convinced that the English language is positively doomed. Of course, there are stupid and careless people of every generation, so sometimes people really do use language poorly. But in general, sit back and relax, folks. The kids are alright.

But regarding the original topic of profanity, I do think it's partially regional. I met two women from Boston on the AT this year and felt myself literally flinch a couple of times when I first met them and heard them cussing people out over mundane things. It took a mutual trail friend to talk about how nice they were before I realized that the profanity was just a normal part of their speech and that it didn't mean they were angry or insulting, and in fact they were nice ladies. I also think it relates to how most popular TV shows these days are not network shows that censor profanity. Instead it's all Netflix, HBO, Hulu, etc. where there's almost a competition over who can be the most profane and "edgy". I think sparsely-used profanity can pack a meaningful punch in conversation or in comedy, but when practically every noun in a sentence is modified by the adjective "f*****g" the words just become noise. Not a fan. There were definitely people like that out on the trail this year, but I didn't observe it to be a generational thing.

I understand that, I used to have a roommate from the Boston area. He prided himself in creative use of the F-bomb.

chknfngrs
11-28-2018, 13:30
I am honestly trying to eliminate the use of profane language, but struggle when surrounded by people who continue to use it. I told myself I would not swear today but already have slipped because of a colleague’s use of it when describing his thanksgiving holiday. Still my fault because I can’t isolate myself much as I try

Dogwood
11-28-2018, 15:39
Have you tried clothespins? :D

Astro
11-28-2018, 18:24
Have you tried clothespins? :D

We used vinegar with our children. :)

greensleep
11-28-2018, 19:20
Edit: I meant to write "after 200 years" our abilities to think and communicate seem to have regressed, etc.
So, like, you know, like, literally, like, hashtag "I think to myself", like, 24/7; god bless. Like.

putts
11-28-2018, 19:34
So, like, you know, like, literally, like, hashtag "I think to myself", like, 24/7; god bless. Like.

OMG u literally forgot the tidepod emoji

Dogwood
11-28-2018, 20:06
One of my nieces talks like that...and she's not even, like, you know, like from the Valley.

rickb
11-28-2018, 20:16
I understand that, I used to have a roommate from the Boston area. He prided himself in creative use of the F-bomb.
It’s Big Pappi’s fault.

:);):eek:

TNhiker
11-28-2018, 20:40
We used vinegar with our children. :)

does it make them taste better?

pickled?

Astro
11-29-2018, 00:37
does it make them taste better?

pickled?

Well it did improve their vocabulary.

perrymk
11-29-2018, 06:53
http://www.shoecomics.com/archives/shoe_daily/shoe_daily112818.jpg

English Stu
11-29-2018, 07:40
The F word is poverty of vocabulary, bad to hear even worse to see written down.

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:52
i've had some insane conversations with people on the trail. some of the things i've heard were enough to make me push on an extra 8+ miles to avoid future interactions.

Rift Zone
12-22-2018, 09:16
What properties give such notorious words their curious status? What is it about them that makes them taboo? Our language has a profusion of combinations of sounds, but somehow a few select combinations can freak people out by nature of their utterance alone? What kind of bull**** is that? -is what you should be asking yourselves. The answer is simply culture. Somewhere in your cultural lineage someone pulled some bull**** straight out of their ass, all about that word is bad, and shouldn't be used. Okay, fair enough. I'm cool with that. But you can stop right now with thinking you occupy some moral high ground because your culture pulled some bull**** straight out of its ass, while other cultural lineages to do not bear that property. Realize it is simply culture/environment on both sides.
[which is to say: if you make it mean more than environmental convention, then you are deluding yourself.]

Furthermore, run a search on "profanity and intelligence". You will find psychology overwhelmingly supports the notion cussing mofo's are smarter than the ones who pay close attention to some bull**** pulled straight out of someone's ass. -go figure.

[which is to say: let's not go there, as if swearing was a mark of diminished capacity... I've seen that hinted at. The truth is bright people cuss too.]

RockDoc
12-22-2018, 13:57
Sure, there are a lot of potty mouths out there, and all seemingly damn proud of it.

Don't get David Goggins started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tSTk1083VY

And here's a bad one, Juli Bauer http://paleomg.com/paleomg-uncensored/

(http://paleomg.com/paleomg-uncensored/)too bad that both people have a good message

Rift Zone
12-22-2018, 18:46
too bad that both people have a good message

But you couldn't hear them? Or others can't? A "wrong" sequence of syllables renders the content inconsequential or beyond access? Something like that? Pardon me for saying so, but in my view that doesn't make the audience enlightened or righteous, more like willfully defective, actively placing themselves beneath the characteristics humans pride ourselves on (advanced rational thought for instance). -it seems wearing asinine badges of honor happens on both sides. Being too good for a message because it was "spelled" "wrong" is, in fact, just as lame if not more so than proud profuse cussers. Make no mistake about it: that approach is scarcely different from "the sky is falling" type of hysteria we laughed at on Saturday morning cartoons.

bottom line is it fundamentally means nothing. As for some of the focus of the conversation here: I fully agree cussers don't need to be dicks about it. If that's your approach to language than cool, but if you flaunt it -it sincerely is some low class trailer trash bull****, child. And those with other approaches to language; not sure if I can safely say some of those antics are bear much maturity either. Just try to chill on it... it doesn't mean anything.

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 20:29
i've had some insane conversations with people on the trail. some of the things i've heard were enough to make me push on an extra 8+ miles to avoid future interactions.

Did we meet on trail? Wishing to avoid other cocoa birds is why I stealth camp often. I go on hikes to keep the straight jacket people from coming to get me. :D