PDA

View Full Version : Final Section: Bennington VT to Mt. K

Hikerj53
11-26-2018, 18:22
This will be my last section hike of the AT, about 580 miles. I hope to start from Bennington, VT and finish at Mt. K. I plan on starting on or about 5-7 August 2019 (after
black fly season).
This summer I completed the Colorado Trail and averaged out to about 18 miles a day including town days and one zero day. I know there are portions of this section of the AT
where 12 miles a day will be a good day.
I will be flying in from Texas and will stay in a local hotel before heading out the next day. I will be 66 years old at the start of this section hike. Long hikes being what they are,
we may not finish together but it would be nice to have a hiking partner for part of the hike.
Happy trails,
LoneStar

Gambit McCrae
11-27-2018, 11:41
I was int he VT area this year first 2 weeks of September. It was still shorts and tshirt weather except for a 3 day cold front. I will be doing another 2 weeks starting September 1st to knock out NH. I found there to be SOME people on the trail up there in September but not ALOT. I would see 1-6 backpackers a day, with more concentration along the LT portion of the VT stretch.

I personally prefer to have a hiking partner as well however I know I can physically do it on my own, mentally I like a buddy to share the experience with.

ldsailor
11-27-2018, 12:19
I was NOBO in Vermont at the end of June. I didn't think the black flies were all that bad. In fact, I didn't even notice them. You have some tough trail ahead in New Hampshire and Maine. Starting in August as you plan to do should get you finished before the end of September, but IMO you can start earlier with some assurance that the weather in Maine will be better than what you might expect with a later start. Just my opinion. There are some Maine residents on the forum who I'm sure will come in with other information.

ADK Walker
11-27-2018, 13:57
I did the stretch on the LT near Stratton over Father's Day weekend this year and there were no Black flies present. Each year could be different but wanted to throw that out there if the flies were a bigger factor in when you are planning your time on the trail. Good Luck!

TJ aka Teej
11-27-2018, 18:34
starting on or about 5-7 August
When does that get you to Katahdin?

map man
11-27-2018, 19:34
When does that get you to Katahdin?
Given his 18 mile per day average on the Colorado Trail it would be realistic for him to take six weeks (42 days) to complete his 580 miles (that would be between 13 and 14 miles per day) and that would have him finishing at Katahdin in mid-September.

LazyLightning
11-27-2018, 20:01
I would say most thru hikers (with trail legs, ect.) would consider any 10 mile day in the whites a good day, and a good portion of southern Maine is not much easier. It is the best part of the trail though. I was going through the 100 mile wilderness first-second week of Oct at peak leaf season and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. This does come with it's downfalls though.... ice cold fords, potential for cold rain through tough terrain and exposed areas, possible nights below freezing, snow when you get to Katahdin and I'm sure there's plenty more. It was worth it to me but I would shoot for finishing by Oct 10th if I ever did it again.... I would try to get close to the 10th though to see those leaves again.

Jeff
11-29-2018, 11:18
This will be my last section hike of the AT, about 580 miles. I hope to start from Bennington, VT and finish at Mt. K. I plan on starting on or about 5-7 August 2019 (after
black fly season).
This summer I completed the Colorado Trail and averaged out to about 18 miles a day including town days and one zero day. I know there are portions of this section of the AT
where 12 miles a day will be a good day.
I will be flying in from Texas and will stay in a local hotel before heading out the next day. I will be 66 years old at the start of this section hike. Long hikes being what they are,
we may not finish together but it would be nice to have a hiking partner for part of the hike.
Happy trails,
LoneStar

You are starting at the absolute peak for thruhikers passing though Vermont. You will not be lonely.

Come stay with us at Green Mountain House in Manchester. We will keep your body weight up with lots of Ben and Jerrys !!!!

ldsailor
11-29-2018, 11:49
You are starting at the absolute peak for thruhikers passing though Vermont. You will not be lonely.

Come stay with us at Green Mountain House in Manchester. We will keep your body weight up with lots of Ben and Jerrys !!!!

I can attest to this. Great Place Green Mountain House and a great deal on Ben and Jerrys - $1 as I recall.

Gambit McCrae
11-29-2018, 12:48

The Stay at Green Mountain House in Manchester is one to not be missed

Review of GMH (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/130752-Green-Mountain-House-Hostel-A?highlight=) <<Click Here

Hikerj53
11-29-2018, 16:23
Will certainly try and stop at the Green Mountain House. Thanks for the invitation.

Gambit McCrae
11-30-2018, 09:15
You will be starting in Bennington and if I remember correctly you said you will be staying there for a night?
The town from reviews I read seems to not be of the best hiker towns. A lot of motels that do not know how to support hikers needs. I understand that since it is the beginning of your trip you will not need much more then just a bed, but if it helps, I stayed at the catamount motel up in town. Simple single story motor lodge, nothing fancy what so ever but the owner/ manager was extremely nice and helpful. VT had a heat wave when I went thru there(has happened to me on every new England trip I have been on...) but the AC in my room sucked, I told him about it and his response was: "we don't typically get heat like this, I guess our AC just isn't used to it" LOL

They do offer a free ride to and from the trail and he was happy to stop at the dollar general for me to get some items. I would probably stay there again.

ldsailor
11-30-2018, 11:39
I found Bennington and the Catamount Hotel very accommodating. I was there June 19 and 20 of this year. The motel manager picks up hikers at the trail head if they call ahead and drops them off when they are ready to return to the trail. He also washed my clothes for me. I found the room clean. There is a gas station convenience store next door and a number of restaurants within walking distance. I enjoyed it so much, I took a zero day there (had a cold, so needed some extra time to recuperate).

bigcranky
11-30-2018, 22:57
We did our LT e2e hike starting July 4 and didn't have any black flies. Depending on the year you could start in mid July, I think, if you decide you need the time. August in Maine is pretty sweet :)

Sounds like a great hike, enjoy.

Hikerj53
12-05-2018, 08:52
Thanks again to everyone for the very helpful information. Happy trails, LoneStar