PDA

View Full Version : Tell this dummy about using down

timhines
02-21-2006, 12:39
I've been seeing a lot about down quilts,bags, etc.

I know it compresses pretty small, but when you aren't using it, should you take it out of stuff sacks/compression bags and store it laid out in full?

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 13:07
Yes. You should do that with synthetic bags, too.

Many of them come with a large cloth storage bag about the size of a yard waste bag (40 gallons, maybe). That's probably good enough if you can't lay it out flat or hang it up somewhere.

neo
02-21-2006, 13:12
I've been seeing a lot about down quilts,bags, etc.

I know it compresses pretty small, but when you aren't using it, should you take it out of stuff sacks/compression bags and store it laid out in full?
you are 100 % correct:cool: neo

neo
02-21-2006, 13:13
Yes. You should do that with synthetic bags, too.

Many of them come with a large cloth storage bag about the size of a yard waste bag (40 gallons, maybe). That's probably good enough if you can't lay it out flat or hang it up somewhere.

100% correct:cool: neo

Seeker
02-21-2006, 17:32
some people lay them out under their beds. others hang them over a big thick coathanger in a closet or attic. one poster awhile back mentioned using it unzipped on her bed as a comforter for daily use.

bottom line is, leave it unstuffed for longer life.

Fiddler
02-21-2006, 18:26
Easiest and best way I have found is get a pants hanger (the kind with 2 spring gripper clips) and hang full length in the closet. Like Just Jeff said, do it for down or synthetic.

hammock engineer
02-22-2006, 01:23
Here is a link on how to make your own quilt. He also going into a little detail on down.

Do some google searches, plenty of info out there.

http://www.newsushi.net/quilt.html

peter_pan
02-22-2006, 09:10
Store your down bag/quilt uncompressed.... better yet use your quilt every day as a bed cover, sofa throw or longe wrap... you'll be pleasantly surprise at its usefulness... add to that, keeping the thermostat 2-4 degrees lower and it will pay for itself in one season of significantly reduced heat bills.

Pan