PDA

View Full Version : evaporated milk uses ...

fivefour
02-21-2006, 13:16
does anyone have any great ideas for use of evaporated milk on the trail ?

neo
02-21-2006, 13:20
yeah to heavy,leave it at home:cool: neo

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 13:25
Um...I'd probably find some way to ingest it. Though I'm sure someone will probably find a way to make it multi-use. Form it into a sleeping bag or something. You could probably substitute it for breadcrumbs to mark your trail as long as it doesn't rain.

fivefour
02-21-2006, 13:25
ahhh, a paper weight or a door stop then .... gotcha ;)

fivefour
02-21-2006, 13:26
Um...I'd probably find some way to ingest it. Though I'm sure someone will probably find a way to make it multi-use. Form it into a sleeping bag or something. You could probably substitute it for breadcrumbs to mark your trail as long as it doesn't rain.

i would be afraid of the calves that would try to follow me :eek:

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 13:27
Your tent needs a doorstop? That's quality gear! :)

fivefour
02-21-2006, 13:29
Your tent needs a doorstop? That's quality gear! :)

now how else would i keep the cows out ?

Gray Blazer
02-21-2006, 13:30
Leave it spread out in a shelter and tell everyone it's anthrax. Then you'll have the shelter to yourself.:rolleyes:

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 13:31
I think you got it! Evaporated milk is MUCH lighter than a calf. Leave a trail, let the calf follow...fresh beef for dinner... :o

Watch out for mama - I almost had a cow ram my Jeep because the trail went between her and baby. She lowered her head and got that look in her eye...we sped outta there another 20 yards pretty quick. I'm not sure my hammock could handle something like that! But if your tent needs a doorstop you might be better equipped for that event than I am...

fivefour
02-21-2006, 13:31
Leave it spread out in a shelter and tell everyone it's anthrax. Then you'll have the shelter to yourself.:rolleyes:

i already do that with gold bond ... but if i run out that could be a back up idea.:)

weary
02-21-2006, 13:56
does anyone have any great ideas for use of evaporated milk on the trail ?
No. But powdered milk is a good light weight source of protein. I add it to most any meal, especially those that have cheese or call for milk -- and of course cereal.

It's best to add powdered milk mixed with a little water at the last minute, since it tends to scorch easily if cooked for more than a moment or two.

Weary

fishinfred
02-21-2006, 14:06
I personally havent used it yet but my friend Gatoraid makes up plastic bags /cereal and powdered milk (just add water when ready to eat ) and has one every morning for breakfast.It looked to be good too.I guess if you're just packing a few days worth it wouldnt be that heavy and like Weary said it is a good source of protein.
FF

fivefour
02-21-2006, 14:15
i have tried mixing powered milk at home and i don't think i can drink it. maybe in recipes ... but the smell i guess is something you just have to get use to.

dje97001
02-21-2006, 14:35
with instant pudding -- pre-mix the instant milk and you've got it all in one convenient pouch.

jlb2012
02-21-2006, 14:41
i have tried mixing powered milk at home and i don't think i can drink it. maybe in recipes ... but the smell i guess is something you just have to get use to.

look for a product called Nido in the Hispanic section of the store - much better tasting powdered _whole_ mike

Just Jeff
02-21-2006, 14:54
I hear it's better if you let it sit overnight. Mix it up at bedtime and stick it in the snow, in a stream, or just with the rest of your food if it's cold enough. Supposed to taste more like milk the next morning.

fivefour
02-21-2006, 14:59
i will try the Nido and thanks for the suggestions. ;)

JoeHiker
02-21-2006, 15:26
I love cereal so I always bring big ziploc bags full of it plus powdered milk. Great meal to start the day

allie
02-21-2006, 15:49
I have used evaporated milk in those box meals that call for milk (most likely the meals that have a cheese flavor to them). I take the meals out of the boxes and carry just the ingredients, decent food plus it's light weight

TN_Hiker
02-21-2006, 15:52
Are you sure you meant condensed milk? Doesn't condensed milk come in cans only?

Tim Rich
02-21-2006, 16:03
I've taken one envelope of it for a week's hike for two, adding a bit to morning oatmeal and evening's hot chocolate.

Hana_Hanger
02-21-2006, 17:11
I like Colin Fletchers hints on using it in a small squirt bottle, he used Carnation dry nonfat powdered milk on all his hikes.
If you have the book it shows he carried 1 lb 6 oz of the stuff for all his cooking.
Mostly to go with cereal and his tea!

hiker5
02-21-2006, 17:27
Sounds like there is a general confusion of what constitutes evaporated, condensed, and powdered milk.

Both evaporated milk and condensed milk come canned and in liquid form (approx 60% of water content removed). The condensed milk has been sweeted.

Both of these are different from the powdered milk I think most hikers are more familiar with. As the name implies, it is found in powder form.

hiker5
02-21-2006, 17:30
The vanashing edit button strikes again!
Clearly (or not so clearly) "sweeted" should have been "sweetened".

fivefour
02-21-2006, 18:04
Sounds like there is a general confusion of what constitutes evaporated, condensed, and powdered milk.

Both evaporated milk and condensed milk come canned and in liquid form (approx 60% of water content removed). The condensed milk has been sweeted.

Both of these are different from the powdered milk I think most hikers are more familiar with. As the name implies, it is found in powder form.

i was asking about the canned variety. i am still not sure that i can stomach the powdered, but i am willing to try with the suggestions you guys have given. i also thought about dehydrating a can myself to see if my results were any better tasting but i assume there is a certain burn factor that is probably best dealt with by the powdered manufacturers. so yes, to end the confusion, i was talking about the canned but have found your powdered comments more along the lines of what i am looking for.

thanks and sorry for the confusion. i can promise that i will confuse you guys and myself here again soon.

starvingmusician
02-21-2006, 18:27
i was asking about the canned variety. i am still not sure that i can stomach the powdered, but i am willing to try with the suggestions you guys have given.

Evaporated vs. powdered... neither comes close to the real stuff, but I prefer the canned stuff even though it tastes -- canned. I throw one (or two) of those teeny tiny cans in my panniers when bicycling. My 12 year old daughter doesn't like the powdered stuff in her coffee, and it's a nice treat to put into (onto) oatmeal. I don't think I'd carry one backpacking -- no one to share it with, and the last can didn't burn too well in the fire pit... :D (sorry guys, couldn't resist)

I'll try some of the suggestions you guys have given as well...

Thanks

weary
02-21-2006, 18:38
Clearly (or not so clearly) "sweeted" should have been "sweetened".
Only $10 gets it back!

timhines
02-21-2006, 20:48
i hate to thread cap, but if you want something as an alternative to Cocoa you should try Abuelta, it's also in the "spanish" section of the grocery store. Verry good. It's like cocoa with cinnamon. Yum!

Tinker
02-21-2006, 20:58
Made by Nestle, it comes in 400g. (14.1 oz.) cans, makes approx. 13 one cup servings, 150 calories per serving, 80 from fat. I have a can sitting in front of me. Used some in August, the rest was stored in a dark, relatively cool, cupboard since then. I used some just the other day when we ran out of "Half and Half" coffee creamer.

I was surprised to find that it's still good.

It is to fresh, whole milk what Mountain House Lasagna is to the real thing - much better than nothing, but not as good as the real thing.

T

Cuffs
02-21-2006, 21:21
I just returned a book to the library... "Simple Food for the Pack." Over all, not the greatest book. With the ingredient lists that they have, you'd have to have a donkey carry the load!
On the other hand, there are several great recipes that I just photocopied out of it for later use. Many were simple dry ingredients that just needed water added and cooked. There were several recipes that called for Evap. Milk that sounded good!

sarbar
02-21-2006, 21:42
with instant pudding -- pre-mix the instant milk and you've got it all in one convenient pouch.
You don't even have to pre-mix! Just take a quart zip bag, throw in one pacjakeg instant pudding mix, and 2/3 cup od instant milk (ie..dry).
When ready add 1 3/4 to 2 cups cold water and seal, Shake for a couple minutes. If possible let sit in cold lake or stream to chill. Sets up in 5 minutes or so. Doesn't taste any different than using milk at home.

sarbar
02-21-2006, 21:45
I should add that, yes, dry milk works well in many recipes-it can add protien and calories easily, and it makes stuff creamier.
If you eat stuff like Liptons that calls for milk, well, for every cup called for, add 1/3 cup dry milk.
Oatmeal for breakfast? Throw in a couple Tbls of it.
In most recipes I do, if it is creamy, I add milk powder.

Cuffs
02-21-2006, 21:53
I just returned a book to the library... "Simple Food for the Pack." Over all, not the greatest book. With the ingredient lists that they have, you'd have to have a donkey carry the load!
On the other hand, there are several great recipes that I just photocopied out of it for later use. Many were simple dry ingredients that just needed water added and cooked. There were several recipes that called for Evap. Milk that sounded good!

I oops'd myself! The recipes I was indicating call for powdered milk not evaporated milk... Sorry

hiker5
02-21-2006, 22:42

Only $10 gets it back!

So was this apart of the whole member/subscriber upgrade? I've not stayed terrible current with some of the goings-on here at WB. Thanks for filling me in weary.

hiker5
02-21-2006, 22:42

Only $10 gets it back!

So was this apart of the whole member/subscriber upgrade? I've not stayed terrible current with some of the goings-on here at WB. Thanks for filling me in weary.

Rendezvous01
02-21-2006, 23:45
My two uses of evaporated milk:
First, I add it to my energy bars that I make prior to heading out (other ingredients including butter, honey, marshmallows, peanut butter, granola or high protein cereal, and mini M & M's)--adds protein, as mentioned above, and improves the consistency so they don't melt in the pack.
Second, to make pudding. I carry a lightweight, 20 oz. bowl with tight fitting lid. In morning, mix pudding mix and powdered milk together, add fresh cold water from a spring (filtering first if appropriate), stir, insert in pack insulated by sleeping bag (here is where the tight fitting lid is critical), and enjoy cold pudding for lunch, envied by your fellow hikers. I have also made it after supper and enjoyed it for breakfast or at lunch for an afternoon snack. The longer the milk has to absorb the flavor of the pudding, the less it tastes powdered.

I don't like to make the effort to heat water for breakfast, but I guess that the powdered milk might make instant oatmeal slightly more tolerable. Maybe.
You could also add powdered milk to pasta/sauce dishes like the ubiquitous mac n cheese, once again to improve the protein content.

Most hikers don't get enough protein on the trail, which can eventually lead to loss of muscle mass. I've read of many hikers needing to add powdered protein supplements during the second half of their thru-hikes, due to excessive weight loss. Avoid this by choosing high protein foods (tuna, canned or dehydrated meats, cheeses for example) when you are shopping along the trail, and not just the high-carb pasta meals.

april2006
02-23-2006, 19:45
First, I add it to my energy bars that I make prior to heading out (other ingredients including butter, honey, marshmallows, peanut butter, granola or high protein cereal, and mini M & M's)--

Care to list the recipe...this sounds delicious!!

Rendezvous01
02-23-2006, 23:42
Sure.
The recipe is always variable, but here is the gist of it:
Rendezvous's Trail Energy Bars
18 oz. jar of peanut butter
1 cup honey
1 stick butter
1/2 bag of marshmallows
Melt together and bring to rolling boil, boil for about two minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in about 1-1.5 cups instant powdered milk until absorbed.
Add one box of favorite cereal--I've used granola, but for nutrition I prefer Kashi Go-Lean Crunch or anything else with higher protein content.
Spread in 9 x 13 pan lined with wax paper. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes, then spread 1 cup of mini M & M's over the top and squish in and flatten out, using a piece of wax paper or a rubber spatula.
Cool for another half hour, cut into bars, allow to cool completely, break into bars and package individually in snack-size zip storage bags.
If anyone wants a more thorough recipe, with variations and tricks born of experience, you can PM me and I will gladly email it to you.
--Rendezvous

Skidsteer
02-23-2006, 23:48
Sure.
1 cup honey
1 stick butter
1/2 bag of marshmallows
Melt together and bring to rolling boil, boil for about two minutes. Remove from heat.
Add one box of favorite cereal--I've used granola, but for nutrition I prefer Kashi Go-Lean Crunch or anything else with higher protein content.
Spread in 9 x 13 pan lined with wax paper. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes, then spread 1 cup of mini M & M's over the top and squish in and flatten out, using a piece of wax paper or a rubber spatula.
Cool for another half hour, cut into bars, allow to cool completely, break into bars and package individually in snack-size zip storage bags.
If anyone wants a more thorough recipe, with variations and tricks born of experience, you can PM me and I will gladly email it to you.
--Rendezvous

WooHoo! That's some high-powered stuff! I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter(I'm not fond of PB). Thanks for sharing the recipe!

sarbar
02-24-2006, 11:09
WooHoo! That's some high-powered stuff! I'm thinking of substituting Nutella for the peanut butter(I'm not fond of PB). Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I bet cashew butter would rock....
Awesoem recipe though..they sound good!

Rendezvous01
02-24-2006, 11:14
It's around 9000 calories for the pan, so, depending on the size you cut them into, you get about 300 calories per. The nutrient ratio is about 4:2:1 for grams of carb:fat:protein using the Kashi cereal, so you get some quick energy as well as some slower fuel burn.

Rendezvous01
02-24-2006, 11:15
Hmmm.
That's supposed to be fat colon protein. Darn emoticons.

Just Jeff
02-24-2006, 11:19

weary
02-24-2006, 11:20
Sure.
1 cup honey
1 stick butter
1/2 bag of marshmallows
--Rendezvous
An excellent recipe -- and one that in its essential form has been around for decades. I first heard it around the mid 60's though with crushed "common" crackers replacing the cereal, and minus the M&Ms and marshmallows, if I remember rightly.

Weary

fivefour
02-28-2006, 13:13
i hate to thread cap, but if you want something as an alternative to Cocoa you should try Abuelta, it's also in the "spanish" section of the grocery store. Verry good. It's like cocoa with cinnamon. Yum!

i recently tried "horchata" for the first time. a delicious rice drink mix that tastes like a vanilla, cinnamon shake. tastey ! also from the "spanish" section.

Forestescapes
03-21-2006, 06:58
Condensed milk here down under comes in tubes as well as cans(similar to toothpaste style tubes) we can also buy "Nestles Coffee and Milk" (condensed)in a tube! If you have been walking without these items...especially the coffee version, I feel sad for you. They are absolute staples!!! Other than your -10deg sleeping bag, they are the most important addition to your pack!!!
As for powdered (and I'm assuming that is what you mean by evaporated?) milk...a good friend of mine always covers his breakfast cereal with it and then adds hot water to make a fairy eatable start to the hiking day!! (I prefer toast!) Hope this helps.
dc

jlb2012
03-21-2006, 09:03
it took a bit to find a US supplier of Nestle Coffee & Milk but for those who might be interested it appears to be available from : http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_food/groceries/hot_beverages/nestles_coffee__milk

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 09:07
it took a bit to find a US supplier of Nestle Coffee & Milk but for those who might be interested it appears to be available from : http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_food/groceries/hot_beverages/nestles_coffee__milk

Interesting.
Forestescapes, can you tell us how many @ servings in a tube?

If we could find one with flouride it'd be a great multi-use item. Drink a cup, then brush your teeth.:D

boulder
03-21-2006, 09:38
Several years ago while biking the south island of New Zealand, I discovered condensed milk in a tube. It was fabulous. Light and easy to store, I relished a dab in my otherwise less than tasty instant coffee. One tube lasted me about one week. Of course, that is dependent upon use. I would have liked to have it as an option for hiking, though carrying out the garbage would have been a drag. Like others I used the powdered variety for pudding, ceral, liptons and coffee. Haven't tried the Nido, but will certainly plan to use it for my next walkabout.

jlb2012
03-21-2006, 13:22
Interesting.
Forestescapes, can you tell us how many @ servings in a tube?

If we could find one with flouride it'd be a great multi-use item. Drink a cup, then brush your teeth.:D

From the Nestle site in Aus. product details indicate a serving size of 25 g. - with 190 g. net in a tube it looks to be 7-8 servings per tube - probably closer to 7 than 8 unless you split the tube to get the last little bit out..

I also was struck by the idea of just "mainlining" it on the trail - open tube and suck it down sort of like what some hikers do with squeeze Parkay.

uncas
03-21-2006, 13:35
Hellos,

Rendezous, bars sound great! What is in the "thorough" recipe. How do you pack them. Any idea how long they last, for thru-hike purposes?

Thanks,

Deerleg
03-21-2006, 17:14
i was asking about the canned variety. i am still not sure that i can stomach the powdered, but i am willing to try with the suggestions you guys have given.

Don’t know about the calories or protein, but sense I go out only a week at a time I use Coffee creamer to sub for milk powder…it tastes a lot better to me. I have added it to pasta, multi grain cereal, coffee:rolleyes: , and it works great.

Skidsteer
03-21-2006, 18:09
I also was struck by the idea of just "mainlining" it on the trail - open tube and suck it down sort of like what some hikers do with squeeze Parkay.

Oh yes, I see. Perhaps keep it in a side pocket and upend a portion or two right before a hellish ascent. As I said before, interesting.

fivefour
03-23-2006, 09:18
:eek: squeeze parkay ? never heard that one before ...

jlb2012
03-23-2006, 09:40
I think eating squeeze Parkay straight from the bottle was mentioned by Model-T in his book _Walking on the Happy Side of Misery_ amoung other places.

fivefour
03-23-2006, 10:40
instant calories i guess.