PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb shuttle need in next few weeks...any recommendations?

saltysack
12-05-2018, 11:58
Planning a leisurely 3 day hike of ALT in need of shuttle....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
12-05-2018, 12:10
Salty: Not a lot of options for the ALT

1- I used the local outfitter/ trout fishing guide store. They were on time, and professional. Good conversation. They met us at the Davidson River and drove us up to the boy scout camp. I think it was about $125 to $150 for 3 of us. I don't think it was based on a per person basis.

other points of interest:
During winter, your only open road access is a FS road about halfway thru that is gravel. The BRP is intersected at Black Balsam Road and is closed during the winter/ snow.

I didn't like the taste of the water thru the entirety of this trip - which was interesting to me

Thread: (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123271-Completion-of-the-Art-Loeb-Trail-Things-I-wish-I-knew-before-Hand)Completion of the Art Loeb Trail - Things I wish I knew before Hand (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123271-Completion-of-the-Art-Loeb-Trail-Things-I-wish-I-knew-before-Hand)

Edit: As well - IF you are not concerned with a COMPLETION of the ALT then I would suggest investing your time from Black Balsam Road to the base of Cold mountain (campsite there) and back to Black Balsam road. This would save you a shuttle cost and give you more time in the best part of the trail. If you plan to do this hike in winter and like my suggestion, you can park at the boy scout camp and hike up to black balsam and then back to the car as the BRP will be closed.

I think most of these are posted in my Trail Review but if not- these were all taken between Boy Scout Camp and Black Balsam Road

Gambit McCrae
12-05-2018, 16:33
Sunset Motel
Walk to downtown from this kitschy, clean, quaint and affordable vintage gem. Recently renovated, the motel has an apartment, cottage and 18 rooms – all differently decorated. Smoke-free with modern amenities.

ALT Sections List (https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5347114.pdf)

SC_Forester
12-05-2018, 23:23
You can try http://pvadventures.com/adventures/art-loeb-trail-shuttle/ I have never used them but its an option. Pilot Mtn is the climb that never ends and once your in the shinning rock wilderness area the trails get confusing. Once I come down black balsam I take the Ivestor gap trail to shinning rock Its more scenic. Also i believe they are requiring a hard sided bear canister once you get past the park way.

saltysack
12-05-2018, 23:39
Salty: Not a lot of options for the ALT

1- I used the local outfitter/ trout fishing guide store. They were on time, and professional. Good conversation. They met us at the Davidson River and drove us up to the boy scout camp. I think it was about $125 to $150 for 3 of us. I don't think it was based on a per person basis.

other points of interest:
During winter, your only open road access is a FS road about halfway thru that is gravel. The BRP is intersected at Black Balsam Road and is closed during the winter/ snow.

I didn't like the taste of the water thru the entirety of this trip - which was interesting to me

Thread: (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123271-Completion-of-the-Art-Loeb-Trail-Things-I-wish-I-knew-before-Hand)Completion of the Art Loeb Trail - Things I wish I knew before Hand (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/123271-Completion-of-the-Art-Loeb-Trail-Things-I-wish-I-knew-before-Hand)

Edit: As well - IF you are not concerned with a COMPLETION of the ALT then I would suggest investing your time from Black Balsam Road to the base of Cold mountain (campsite there) and back to Black Balsam road. This would save you a shuttle cost and give you more time in the best part of the trail. If you plan to do this hike in winter and like my suggestion, you can park at the boy scout camp and hike up to black balsam and then back to the car as the BRP will be closed.

I think most of these are posted in my Trail Review but if not- these were all taken between Boy Scout Camp and Black Balsam Road

Thx so much for the great info! My cousin has a cabin very close Boy Scout camp so we hoped to shuttle to other end and hike back. How well was it marked and what map set you recommend as I’ve been spoiled by the guthook apps which isn’t avail for ALT. Appreciate the tip on water, I’ll make sure to bring Gatorade powder etc....nice pics!

SC_Forester
12-06-2018, 00:35
I never had a problem with the water. You could try Avenza for your maps. Its a good app some maps are free some you pay for. But Its no gut hook. What you get is a Geo-referenced PDF of a paper map that you can see your location on. If you know what your doing you can even create and up load your own maps.

Gambit McCrae
12-06-2018, 08:53
Salty I use GAIA GPS app. Its 20 bucks but then you can download maps offline for it and overlay that to your real time location once on the trail, in airplane mode similar to Guthooks. And the trail is not marked as the ALT from what I remember. As well I think the bear canister is only required on the 12 miles or so on the boyscout side of the trail.

johnacraft
12-06-2018, 11:23
Also i believe they are requiring a hard sided bear canister once you get past the park way.

As well I think the bear canister is only required on the 12 miles or so on the boyscout side of the trail.

We camped on Black Balsam a few months ago, and found a lot of conflicting and out of date information on the bear canister requirement. This (https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprd3832543) seems to be the most current information:

PISGAH FOREST, N.C., January 20, 2017 - Bear canisters are still required in the Shining Rock Wilderness, Black Balsam, Sam’s Knob and Flat Laurel Creek Areas of the Pisgah Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest.

A camping closure in Graveyard Fields area is still in effect, though the area remains open for day use.

“We’ve had numerous reports of bears having success in acquiring improperly stored as well as hung food, reinforcing that bear canisters are the best way to deter hungry bears,” said Pisgah District Ranger Derek Ibarguen. “Visitor safety is of the utmost importance and canisters are the most effective way to safely store food and reduce bear-human conflicts.”

These regulations, issued in consultation with the N.C. Wildlife Commission, were implemented due to human safety concerns after a bear entered a tent and removed a hiker’s backpack earlier this year.

All bear canisters must be commercially made; constructed of solid, non-pliable material manufactured for the specific purpose of resisting entry by bears.

Please ‘Be Bear Aware’

Do not Store Food in Tents
Properly Store Food by Using a bear proof container
Clean up food or garbage around fire rings, grills, or other areas of your campsite
Do not leave food unattended

How well was it marked

This is the marker where the trail crosses Black Balsam Knob Road and begins the climb to Black Balsam Knob:

I believe this is in the Ivestor Gap area:

Beyond Ivestor Gap there are no trail signs.

Gambit McCrae
12-06-2018, 11:26
I think that the trail from Black balsam Rd to the Campsite at the base of Cold Mountain is one of the best hidden gems of the East Coast. Truly amazing terrain thru there

saltysack
12-06-2018, 11:45
Salty I use GAIA GPS app. Its 20 bucks but then you can download maps offline for it and overlay that to your real time location once on the trail, in airplane mode similar to Guthooks. And the trail is not marked as the ALT from what I remember. As well I think the bear canister is only required on the 12 miles or so on the boyscout side of the trail.

Perfect...

SC_Forester
12-06-2018, 21:48
I think that the trail from Black balsam Rd to the Campsite at the base of Cold Mountain is one of the best hidden gems of the East Coast. Truly amazing terrain thru there

I agree, I started backpacking in this area, 1995ish, and 90% of my trail time has been in Pisgah. It's just been recent that I even stepped foot on the AT. Sadly the area is getting loved to death IMO.