PDA

View Full Version : Cook pot size/brand for two people?

mkroberts96
12-05-2018, 17:37
I'm looking for advice about what size pot we should bring for a thru-hike with two people. One being myself (I eat an average amount), one being my boyfriend (usually eats larger meals). Are there certain brands/types of pots that y'all like? Would we be better off bringing two one-person pots and just cooking our meals in sequence?

Starchild
12-05-2018, 18:20
For two people I really like the jetboil (or similar). The Jetboil's extra weight is diluted by 2 people carrying one stove and hot water is very fast, meaning both eat at the same time, even if one may have a 2 minute head start at times. Using other cooking methods if multiple boils are needed it takes 6+ minutes and as long as 10 or more, which is eating separately.

Efficiency and dependability also comes into play here as the Jetboil with a full small canister is over 10 L of boiled water (I find about 12L, but count on 10L ). That would give you the pot size as it is part of their system.

If not using a jetboil or like high efficiency system, I would opt for a larger pot then the Jetboil if you want to cook and eat together. Enough for 4 cups with extra room for boilover and to comfortably fill, stir and use. In the Jetboil it really takes so little time to heat some more water one can get away with a smaller amount of water and top off with the second batch of boiled water, not so with other systems (expect other high efficiency rapid cook systems).

I would typically boil up water in the Jetboil and split it between me and my SO in 2 freezedried packs. It was not enough water, but enough to get it started. Quickly boil some more water and top it off. I would really need a larger pot with a slower system.

Venchka
12-05-2018, 18:29
I agree. I own multiple stoves. The JetBoil replaced all of them.
However, there are multiple pot sizes in the various JetBoil models. Choose wisely.
Wayne

zelph
12-05-2018, 19:42
Toaks 1300ml pot with titanium pot support/windscreen

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/zelphs-toaks-ti-1300ml-with-bail-handle-kit.php

MuddyWaters
12-05-2018, 19:49
Evernew 1.3 if doing fbc

mkroberts96
12-05-2018, 20:52
I agree. I own multiple stoves. The JetBoil replaced all of them.
However, there are multiple pot sizes in the various JetBoil models. Choose wisely.
Wayne

We already own a pocket rocket and were planning on using that. Are the Jetboil pots only compatible with the Jetboil stoves? Or could they be used on a pocket rocket too?

Starchild
12-05-2018, 21:17
We already own a pocket rocket and were planning on using that. Are the Jetboil pots only compatible with the Jetboil stoves? Or could they be used on a pocket rocket too?

It's a crapshoot, it may work or not. Perhaps you can bring it into the store and try to see if it works. Don't expect it to lock however. There are other high efficiency pots also.

zelph
12-05-2018, 21:40
Use this pot in conjuntion with your pocket rocket:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5L-Portable-Heat-Collecting-Exchanger-Pot-Outdoor-Camping-Pot-Kettle-US-G7W3-/163246081024?oid=322553056168
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UboAAOSwq9Zbkzk1/s-l64.jpg

Lots of info on heat exchanger pots Here:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/pots-with-heat-exchangers/

ADK Walker
12-05-2018, 21:53
For two people we use either a Jet Boil Minimo or a Pocket Rocket 2 with an Evernew 1.3 Ti pot. Jet boil is very easy/minimal fuss but the PR2 and pot is lighter.

We also have a 1oz. zippered insulated soft "mini cooler" that we use as a coozie (found it in a thrift store). It's basically a small cube and fits our 1.3 liter pot full of rehydrating food but would also fit two MH bags of dinners or two freezer bags if we went that direction. We can also fit our two Zip-Lock 16oz screw top containers in there as well if we are using them to rehydrate something that needs to keep the heat in. Lots of flexability in that 1oz piece of gear. Also would work nicely to carry out something from town that you wanted to keep on the cool side like a Sub or your favorite IPA.

HooKooDooKu
12-05-2018, 22:09
The thing about a Jetboil stove is that the pot attaches to the stove for better stability. The pots on a Pocket Rocket are pretty unstable (I think that is there #1 complain in reviews I've seen over the years.

GankenBerry
12-06-2018, 17:35
are you both planning to eat out of the same pot or are you just using it to boil water/cook enough food for two people then separate it?

mkroberts96
12-06-2018, 17:51
are you both planning to eat out of the same pot or are you just using it to boil water/cook enough food for two people then separate it?

We were planning on cooking a double serving of whatever we're eating in the same pot and then splitting into our own respective bowls to eat. We might kill each other if we had to physically eat together out of one vessel :p but we also don't want to go the freezer bag cooking route. Seems a bit too wasteful and trash-generating for our preferences.

memphistiger02
12-07-2018, 10:40
The evernew pasta pot Medium is a good size for me and my wife.

QiWiz
12-07-2018, 10:51
Lots of options, but personally would go with the 1.3 L Evernew if I was eating/sharing the same meals as a hiking partner. Burner could be a Caldera Cone, a canister stove if you prefer that, or even a woodburner with Esbit backup if you want to go UL with fuel weight.

CalebJ
12-07-2018, 10:54
The Olicamp XTS is another good option. Inexpensive and very fuel efficient. Probably big enough for two people to use.

D2maine
12-07-2018, 12:18
wife and i have been using one of these for years...remove the lid handle and use a small piece of aluminum tape folded over and stuck to the lid that is left over from making the pot cozy...

https://www.amazon.com/Stanco-GS1200-Non-Stick-Grease-Strainer/dp/B000MVTIOQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544199398&sr=8-4&keywords=grease+pot

LIhikers
12-08-2018, 16:24
My wife and I have been using the same pot recommended by D2maine for years now.
We just take turns eatting out of the pot
We left the lid handle and just cut a small hole in the cozy cover
It works well, is cheap and lasts a long time.
What's not to like?

Zalman
12-08-2018, 16:49
We were planning on cooking a double serving of whatever we're eating in the same pot and then splitting into our own respective bowls to eat. We might kill each other if we had to physically eat together out of one vessel :p but we also don't want to go the freezer bag cooking route. Seems a bit too wasteful and trash-generating for our preferences.

Even if you eschew sharing from the pot, one of you can eat directly from the pot, saving the weight of a 2nd bowl.

Odd Man Out
12-08-2018, 19:21
The Olicamp XTS is another good option. Inexpensive and very fuel efficient. Probably big enough for two people to use.

I like my Olicamp XTS. I use it with a high power alcohol stove. It's a 1L pot so a bit smaller than the ones listed above. You can decide if it's big enough for two. I use it for solo trips. Air bigger than I need for one. I wish they made a slightly smaller size.

Time Zone
12-08-2018, 21:28
It works well, is cheap and lasts a long time.
What's not to like?

I've got one too, but I wonder about the aluminum being hard to clean, if you do more than boil water in it. I haven't used aluminum at home in years and I think that's the reason. Any tricks for dealing with it in the field? Just make everything really soupy?

D2maine
12-08-2018, 23:30
I've got one too, but I wonder about the aluminum being hard to clean, if you do more than boil water in it. I haven't used aluminum at home in years and I think that's the reason. Any tricks for dealing with it in the field? Just make everything really soupy?

i just eat out of it then add a little water and scrape with my plastic spoon till its clean and drink up...any thing beyond that i clean with a small 1 inch square scrubby.

LIhikers
12-09-2018, 20:18

We eat out of the pot then boil more water to make tea.
That cleans the food remnants from the pot pretty well.

Odd Man Out
12-09-2018, 21:18
I cook in my pot my Olicamp XTS but it's anodized so it's pretty easy to clean. Not been a problem. But on the other hand, I just bring the food and water to boil in the pot and then put in a pot cozy to finish, so the food is very soupy while the burner is on (although not necessarily when it's done).

Feral Bill
12-09-2018, 22:15
Even with a cheap aluminum pot, it's not that hard to cook without a mess sticking to the pot. I use two pots, either 1 and 2 liter or 2 and 3, depending on group size and menu. Cook in the smaller one (carefully), boil water after in the larger one for hot drinks and cleanup. It works fine, with a modest cost in weight. My cooking gear is several decades old, for a very low cost per meal of usage. Of course, non cook is an option too, at least in warm weather.

OCDave
12-10-2018, 00:30
I'm looking for advice about what size pot we should bring for a thru-hike with two people. One being myself (I eat an average amount), one being my boyfriend (usually eats larger meals). Are there certain brands/types of pots that y'all like? Would we be better off bringing two one-person pots and just cooking our meals in sequence?

I am not a thru hiker. I only occasionally have to share my pot but, there isn't a better value than the IMUSA 12 cm cup. https://www.walmart.com/ip/IMUSA-USA-Aluminum-Mug-1-25-Quart-Silver/15040697

It is perfect for everything you'd want to do with your MSR stove. Two cups H20 boils quickly. Great size for simmering. Venture toward dry baking if you'd like.
An 8 oz fuel canister fits inside perfectly.

A If you are lucky enough to find them in stock at a local retailer, it will list for less than $5. Buying one online will cost more in shipping than the cost of the product.

Tinny at Minibull Design makes a nice $10 lid to fit it. https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=10

Good Luck

Time Zone
12-10-2018, 08:47
That pot looks much like the Mainstays (WM) or IMUSA (Target) grease dispenser that sells locally for about $7, with lid. Same capacity, and I've noticed too that a 220g fuel canister fits nicely.

In reply to those upthread, yes, I've done the "clean with water and drink the grey water" thing. Having tried some Skurka meals at home first, before going into the field, I can advise, be very very careful about parmesan! Whoa nellie, what a sticky mess if it melts onto the inside of your pot - extraordinarily hard to clean at home, can't imagine doing so on the trail. Allegedly avoidable if you mix it in at sufficiently low temps, but I'll tell ya, once bitten twice shy.

Odd Man Out
12-10-2018, 11:53
I always have a piece of a plastic net bag that onions come in to use as a pot scrubber for cleaning.

OCDave
12-10-2018, 13:19
That pot looks much like the Mainstays (WM) or IMUSA (Target) grease dispenser that sells locally for about $7, with lid. Same capacity, and I've noticed too that a 220g fuel canister fits nicely. ...

The IMUSA cup is a heavier gauge metal with a stronger handle. The cup is more robust than the grease pot. Also simpler lines make the Cup easier to clean.

A second option to consider might be the Deep Alipine Banks Fry Bake pan. https://frybake.com

I got mine for canoe tripping and frying fish over a wood fire but, it could function as the sole pan/pot for a hiking duo. The Alpine size an ideal diameter if you decide to fry eggs or pancakes. The Deep version holds enough to add some veggies to your ramen. It is a spendy option and significantly heavier than other proposed options but not too heavy to earn a spot in your pack.

Gambit McCrae
12-10-2018, 13:32
I am a long time evernew fan. Light & simple. I have used the .75 & 1 liter pasta pot for years now. 1 what I would consider the last remaining original pieces of gear I have. I enjoy the strainer on top, and the only thing I boil in it would be ramen. The 1 liter was far too large for me as a single hiker, but I think even the .75 L would be more than enough for simply boiling water.