PDA

View Full Version : looking for a 3+ season tent

srestrepo
12-07-2018, 14:52
Hello All.

i'm in search of a tent that isn't an expedition grade tent like say black diamond fitzroy or the north face Ve-25 but that will still hold up to the weather at or below treeline in new england i.e. strong winds and snow loads in sheltered campsites. i plan on hiking mostly around the whites and the AT near me in massachusetts. currently, i hammock camp for most of the year however, for winter time, i found that i have to make a substantial investment in insulation for hammocking that i'm not willing to make at this moment - hammocking suits my needs for three seasons that aren't called winter. i would like a tent for winter.

I was thinking of the following tents:
REI Arete ASL 2
Marmot Fortress 2 P
Alps Mountaineering Tasmanian 2

i dont currently use trekking poles so most trekking poles tents are out. i have an exped downmat 9 and a good 0 degree bag and some other quilts i can use to supplement but i'm also under a bit of a budget constraint. i dont think i can justify any of the hillebergs and i certainly dont want to chance it on any of the Geertop knock offs on amazing (especially not in inclement weather).

i know this question comes up sometimes and it becomes an argument between get the right tool for the job and buy a hilleberg, or, screw it and just go out there with a big agnes seedhouse to see what happens. i hope that there's a happy medium.

i am hopeful that someone has used the above tents or can provide a recommendation for something that they do use that i could purchase in reasonable to new condition for under $300 that wouldn't collapse under most condition that the winter time in new england might bring about.

thanks

Gambit McCrae
12-07-2018, 14:56
There is a nice freestanding hilleberg on ebay rn for $250

srestrepo
12-07-2018, 15:04
i was looking for a two person tent for me and my friend. i know it will be cramped. it's cool. just to be able to split the weight is the reason why.

if it's the Unna - that's a nice looking tent but, its an auction and will likely sell for much more and it's one person.

Thanks though.

soumodeler
12-07-2018, 15:11
The TarpTent Scarp 2 is on sale right now for $339 with the solid inner and crossing poles. It is a good middle ground between a full winter tent and a 3 season.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-2/

srestrepo
12-07-2018, 15:22
The TarpTent Scarp 2 is on sale right now for $339 with the solid inner and crossing poles. It is a good middle ground between a full winter tent and a 3 season.

whipped out the credit card and went right to the site.

the crossing poles and mesh interior are sold out.

can't win sometimes.

thanks though.

CalebJ
12-07-2018, 15:28
Try again - I had no problem adding them to cart just now and it specifically indicated they had 2 in stock.

soumodeler
12-07-2018, 15:38
Call TT and see if they can swap a pole set over to the solid inner from a mesh inner for you.

They have 2 mesh with poles in stock, and 2 solid without poles in stock.

Venchka
12-07-2018, 18:04

Beat me to it. Folks in the UK use the Scarp year round. They have videos even.
Wayne

Venchka
12-07-2018, 18:07
Call Henry. Perhaps he will sell the tent now and ship the crossing poles later. You do want the solid inner tent. Really.
Wayne

hootyhoo
12-25-2018, 11:12
I am selling an Exped Venus 2. As far as 4 season and livability go I think it’s hard to beat for the weight without getting into the Hilleberg money.
here is the craigslist I have on it.
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/spo/d/knoxville-exped-venus-2-extreme/6768624343.html

[email protected]

BowGal
12-31-2018, 14:41
I have a Marmot Tungsten 2P UL that I’d be interested in selling. Used a dozen times, great condition.
Have the footprint as well, never used.

Tipi Walter
12-31-2018, 15:52
I was gonna say look at the MSR Fury tent---excellent little thing---but dangit the MSR honchos discontinued the model. Disappearing tent models are a big problem nowadays---so if you find something your really like---buy four of them.

For two people (heck I use it for all my solo trips) I highly recommend the Hilleberg Keron 3. Expensive, sure. Perfect for two people. Comes in at 8 lb 10ozs---perfect weight for two people and perfect for a solo backpacker who can handle the weight. Here's a pic of the Keron in action during a recent trip---