PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather thermometer

sethd513
12-10-2018, 21:14
What do you folks use to check the temperature? I want something accurate below 0 but don’t want to spend a ton. Opinions? Reviews? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
12-10-2018, 21:29
The Suunto Core off my wrist for a while reads down to -5F.

Tundracamper
12-10-2018, 22:43
I have a wireless sensor that connects to my watch. It’s about the size of three stacked quarters. All Garmin gear.

The Kestrel Drop D1 hangs from your backpack and will log temps over an entire hike. Pretty cool little device.

https://www.extrememeters.com/products/kestrel-drop-d1-wireless-smart-data-logger

Slo-go'en
12-10-2018, 23:35
Digital meat thermometer. I have one which claims to go down to -58F.

Feral Bill
12-11-2018, 00:08
I use a cheap zipper tag thermometer/compass. It's accurate enough.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2018, 01:53
I guesstimate

Im a pretty good guesser.

Usually within a couple degrees

But real low humidity can fool me below freezing.

Leo L.
12-11-2018, 03:32
Isn't the smartphones temperature sensor good enough?

lucky luke
12-11-2018, 05:10
Isn't the smartphones temperature sensor good enough?
:-? like smartphone dead ----> very cold
?

Leo L.
12-11-2018, 05:32
Not sure what the cold does to the charge state of the battery, but I've done it repeatedly for gear backyard testing in the sub-freezing regions without any problem.
While it would be feasable during sleeping to keep the smartphone laying aside the sleeping bag, it would be more difficult during hiking.
But then there are advantages doing it with the phone, as there are many apps that can do much more than just a simple display the temperature. There can be tracking of temp over the whole night, als well as a (virtual) drag indicator, and more.

sethd513
12-11-2018, 06:12
Thanks for all the intel. My sunnto watch seems to loose the screen around 2 degrees. Cell phone stay in the bag on a charger all night. I’m lucky to keep it powered during the day if it’s cold enough. I was looking at the cheap zipper ones but reviews say they can be 10-25* off and I can guesstimate better then that. I’ll looking into the meat thermometer but sounds bulky and sharp haha. I also have a house thermometer that’s very small and does inside/outside temp with a small whip that goes outside. I don’t know if something like that is worth it as it can stay inside the bag and the sensor can go outside. But then I see myself all wrapped up in it possibly.

Leo L.
12-11-2018, 06:55
If the temps drop seriously, I can't imagine to take the additional hassle of wires going through the bag (either through the opening you breath through, or through the lower end of the zipper?).
Its already a real task to wrap up yourself, including all the thermals, clothes, hat, balaclava, bag liner, take care of the bag itself, the drawstrings of hood and collar, take extra care to not slip off the pad, etc, and meanwhile still find some restful sleep.

I'd rather suggest to get something cheap, standalone, analog, old-school for to get the outside temperature.
My wife is famous for ice-swimming, and she got a cheap plastic thermometer she uses to get the water temp for the record of it.
Something like this:
https://www.powerhaus24.de/thermometer-mit-schwimmkopf-und-befestigungskordel-fuer-pool-oder-spa-118
Cheap enough to not go bankrupt if lost.
If you need higher accuracy, you could compare the real-life values to a professional thermometer and note the difference.

MuddyWaters
12-11-2018, 07:37
I did bring wireless thermometer on scout car camping years ago. Put part outside shelter, readout inside.

This confirmed the temp gain in a tent. 1 p in 2 p tent was about 3 f. 2 p would be 5-7f.

Kind of heavy for hiking though

soumodeler
12-11-2018, 09:38
Walmart thermometer/compass. Compass is worthless, thermometer is fairly accurate.

TexasBob
12-11-2018, 10:21
........I was looking at the cheap zipper ones but reviews say they can be 10-25* off and I can guesstimate better then that............Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy a cheap zipper one and test it at home. If it is off 10-25* then get something else.

Deadeye
12-11-2018, 10:23

Same here. At zero degrees, give or take 5-10 degrees doesn't matter. Frickin' cold is frickin' cold.

soumodeler
12-11-2018, 10:27
Same here. At zero degrees, give or take 5-10 degrees doesn't matter. Frickin' cold is frickin' cold.

The one I bought at Walmart was within 1-2*F when I checked it against a quality thermometer at the house. For $2, I really can't expect more...

Slo-go'en
12-11-2018, 12:03
I guesstimate

Im a pretty good guesser.

Usually within a couple degrees
But real low humidity can fool me below freezing.

Do you carry a thermometer to check how accurate your guesses are?

Slo-go'en
12-11-2018, 12:08
I’ll looking into the meat thermometer but sounds bulky and sharp haha.
Not very bulky and very light, 0.5 oz according to my scale. The probe is 5" long and pointy at the end, so you would want to put a piece of tape over it. But the long skinny probe makes it easy to attach somewhere on the pack.

Venchka
12-11-2018, 12:14
Same here. Mine has a Coleman logo and cost about a $ buck at Dick’s.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
12-11-2018, 14:22
Do you carry a thermometer to check how accurate your guesses are?
Nope.

But at home , where spend 99% of time, im within 2-3 f most of time.

gpburdelljr
12-11-2018, 15:38
The Barefoot Sisters judged how cold it was by how tightly the rhododendron leaves curled up.

Venchka
12-11-2018, 15:38
As for thermometer accuracy, who really cares?
What are you going to do? Turn on the heater?
In my sleeping bag. In my tent. On the backside of nowhere. The $1 Coleman or North Face zipper pull thermometers are close enough.
Wayne

CalebJ
12-11-2018, 15:54
What are you going to do? Turn on the heater?
In my sleeping bag. In my tent. On the backside of nowhere. The $1 Coleman or North Face zipper pull thermometers are close enough.
Wayne

Among other things, it's useful for evaluating a trip afterwards. For example, if I know it was 10* but I was cold in my 0* bag, I would consider that carefully when packing for the next trip under similar conditions.

Leo L.
12-11-2018, 16:51
But then there are many more factors than just the temperature when it comes to spend a night out in the cold.
Wind, humidity and insulation off the ground are the biggest, but there are more, like nutrition, hydration, exhaustion etc.

CalebJ
12-11-2018, 17:01
But then there are many more factors than just the temperature when it comes to spend a night out in the cold.
Wind, humidity and insulation off the ground are the biggest, but there are more, like nutrition, hydration, exhaustion etc.
Of course. It's only one piece of the puzzle, but it's an important one.

Rain Man
12-11-2018, 18:50
La Crosse digital solar-powered. Weather resistant.

Venchka
12-11-2018, 21:13
Among other things, it's useful for evaluating a trip afterwards. For example, if I know it was 10* but I was cold in my 0* bag, I would consider that carefully when packing for the next trip under similar conditions.
I do critical testing with an accurate thermometer in my backyard. Last winter we had mornings from 6 to 15 degrees. Good enough for any trips that I might entertain. The Coleman thermometer in the tent was easily within 5 degrees. Good enough for my OCD.
Wayne

Southeast
12-12-2018, 01:40
Shug is a hammocker in Minnesota that regularly goes below zero.

Here’s what he uses. Goes down to -40 according to Shug.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ThermoPro-TP60-Wireless-Thermometer-Indoor-Outdoor-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-Humidity-Monitor-Meter-200ft-60m-Range/162671535

Whiskyjo
12-12-2018, 04:40
I found a boy scout thermometer 25 years ago in the GSMNP and it's still hanging on the outside of my backpack. I think it's go to minus 30. I saw minus 12 at Mt Leconte one morning in the shelter.

HooKooDooKu
12-12-2018, 15:07
These things are so tiny, yet have a temperature range exceeding 100ºF. Seems like you can only get to within about 5ºF of figuring out what the temperature is.

What I like carrying is a plastic reptile thermometer... got this one (https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Thermometer-Celsius-Fahrenheit/dp/B0002604WQ) for about $5. Crazy light weight, no batteries required, and easy to read to 1ºF. This particular one has a mounting nut protruding out the back that can be turned with a pair of pliers to calibrate the needle.

For the OP, if you want something similar, I would suggest shopping for freezer/refrigerator thermometers (https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic-Fridge-Freezer-Thermometer/dp/B000BPE88E). They are likely to be made of metal, so they will weight more than the plastic one linked above, but the price will be about the same as will the ease of reading the temperature to about read to 1ºF (seems like most of these range from -20ºF to about 80ºF).

scope
12-12-2018, 18:13

OCD people do, of course. I'm curious about weather things anyway, so it sort of matters only in the sense that I want to know - I don't really need to know. But I suppose it helps in the future to know where you've been and how you dealt with that and how it might affect future trip decisions?

Brutalguyracing
12-12-2018, 20:34
Accurite about $7
Works great

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

sethd513
12-13-2018, 21:10
OCD people do, of course. I'm curious about weather things anyway, so it sort of matters only in the sense that I want to know - I don't really need to know. But I suppose it helps in the future to know where you've been and how you dealt with that and how it might affect future trip decisions?

That sums it up

Venchka
12-13-2018, 23:14
Accurite about $7
Works great

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Not shown on AcuRite web page. Is it still available?
Wayne

Nanatuk
12-13-2018, 23:38
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Suction-Cup-Thermometer-White/dp/B004V1XJ7U/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1544758636&sr=8-20&keywords=acurite+thermometer#

Venchka
12-13-2018, 23:52
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Suction-Cup-Thermometer-White/dp/B004V1XJ7U/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1544758636&sr=8-20&keywords=acurite+thermometer#
Thanks. I found that after my post above.
Low Temperature: -4 F. No thanks.
Why bother? My Coleman analog reads to -20 F. At which point I would hopefully be indoors.
I’ve relied on zipper pull analog thermometers since forever. I’ll stay with them.
Thanks everyone! Merry Christmas!
Wayne

Obiwan
12-14-2018, 13:52
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V1XJDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

scrabbler
12-14-2018, 13:59
Check the weather history on internet when you get home. You'll also get rainfalls, windspeeds, humidity, UV index, etc.

Rain Man
12-14-2018, 14:17
I've owned a couple of the little Accu-Rites, which are NOT weather-proof nor even weather-resistant in my experience. The battery compartments became wet and rusted. Not really designed nor built for outdoor use, in my estimation. Just FYI.

Thus my switch to La Crosse.

Trail Lady
12-15-2018, 22:47
deleted due to harassing messages sent and emails

The Cleaner
12-16-2018, 14:33
Here's what I've been using for about 30 years, I lost 2 over the years and just got a new one. Made by Taylor. https://express.google.com/u/0/product/Taylor-21418-1J-Mercury-Filled-Thermometer-w-Pocket-Case-0-to-220-F-Degrees/11035223349487059290_135932240886440441_4803525

nsherry61
12-16-2018, 15:16
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a year or so now, but haven't pulled the trigger. They look great.

On the general topic of backpacking thermometers, I like the idea of having the thermometer that tracks the day's high and low temperatures instead of having to wake up, turn on a light and look in the middle of the night, or stop and look in the middle of the day.

The Cleaner
12-16-2018, 15:27
I've been thinking about getting one of these for a year or so now, but haven't pulled the trigger. They look great.

On the general topic of backpacking thermometers, I like the idea of having the thermometer that tracks the day's high and low temperatures instead of having to wake up, turn on a light and look in the middle of the night, or stop and look in the middle of the day. At on time Taylor made a maximum-minimum reading version by inserting a small needle like piece inside the thermometer. The only issue with this is that it had to be kept laying flat to read correctly. Might still be able to find one.

OwenM
12-20-2018, 14:04
I've been using a little keyring/zipper pull thermometer for maybe a decade(from the old Happy Hiker shop in Gatlinburg, TN:)). It reads the exact same as my friend's fancy digital one down to single digits, so I've never felt the need for something "better".
Digital showed 4F. Sure looks like 4F on my cheapie...