PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent's new tent...

MtDoraDave
12-10-2018, 21:47
Single wall dyneema, one person, one trekking pole, one pound.

They put up a short video on their Facebook page, so I'm sure it's on their website now.

Of course, for pricing: "stay tuned".

Decibel
12-11-2018, 01:46
Looks like my Altaplex might get upgraded.

MtDoraDave
12-11-2018, 07:59
The Aeon Li

https://www.tarptent.com/whats-new/

Gambit McCrae
12-11-2018, 09:48
I am excited for TT to take the plunge to these changes. The worst part about tents, especially in todays fast changing times is that more neat stuff comes out than I have time to wear out old gear. I will keep my duplex until I either get tired of the lack of head space or I put 2k miles on it. I guess I will get a new tent after about 1600 miles of the PCT

Just Tom
12-11-2018, 09:55
I like the extra venting in the corners. Making the most of their corner strut system (whatever TT calls them). I'd still like to pick up the updated Moment DW some day, but this one looks great too.

soumodeler
12-11-2018, 10:10
I am excited for TT to take the plunge to these changes. The worst part about tents, especially in todays fast changing times is that more neat stuff comes out than I have time to wear out old gear. I will keep my duplex until I either get tired of the lack of head space or I put 2k miles on it. I guess I will get a new tent after about 1600 miles of the PCT

So true. Lots of new tents that all have advantages, but my Duplex is still going strong. I can't justify a new 3 season tent until it dies.

Deadeye
12-11-2018, 15:19
So true. Lots of new tents that all have advantages, but my Duplex is still going strong. I can't justify a new 3 season tent until it dies.

That's what kids are for. Here, son, you look like you need a new tent... and now Dad needs a new one, too!

DuneElliot
12-11-2018, 15:27

I sold my Duplex just so I could buy the SS Li...it was my dream tent.

Franco
12-11-2018, 15:55
More info here :
https://www.tarptent.com/product/aeon-li/

TNhiker
12-11-2018, 16:00
More info here :
https://www.tarptent.com/product/aeon-li/

any general idea of the price range for this one?

Franco
12-11-2018, 19:19
not yet, we are waiting for the factory to tell us.

Rex Clifton
12-11-2018, 19:21
any general idea of the price range for this one?

I would guess $550-$600. Can’t go much higher than that since the Plexamid is at $550 and the Duplex $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

martinb
12-16-2018, 11:00
Really liking the floor space. Might be parting with my Notch Li.

lonehiker
12-16-2018, 12:04
It appears that you still need to purchase handle adapter to use poles handle side up and I am anxious to hear how the magnetic closures on vestibule, when rolled up, will handle heavy wind. Those observations aside, this tent will be on my shortlist next time I upgrade tents.

martinb
12-16-2018, 14:36
It appears that you still need to purchase handle adapter to use poles handle side up and I am anxious to hear how the magnetic closures on vestibule, when rolled up, will handle heavy wind. Those observations aside, this tent will be on my shortlist next time I upgrade tents.
FYI, wind at approximately 20-25 mph does not affect the magnetic tabs on my Notch.

Franco
12-16-2018, 16:47
No need for handle adaptor for the Aeon. Works pretty much like a typical mid.
Those handle adaptors were designed for users that had problems setting up the Notch handle up. I can do it without them but some find it difficult to do.
BTW, TT posted a new photo yesterday showing how it can be set up high (49") as well as low down to 43".
franco@tarptent

MtDoraDave
12-17-2018, 08:00
No need for handle adaptor for the Aeon. Works pretty much like a typical mid.
Those handle adaptors were designed for users that had problems setting up the Notch handle up. I can do it without them but some find it difficult to do.
BTW, TT posted a new photo yesterday showing how it can be set up high (49") as well as low down to 43".
franco@tarptent

Terrible comparison photo. It doesn't really show anything very well.
The photographer should have held the camera lower to the ground to show the difference in height and, perhaps more importantly, vestibule height from the ground.

hshires
12-17-2018, 13:02
Sorry that doesn't work for you. Here's another one showing the difference between a 120cm pole and a 110cm pole. Changing the pole height causes the Aeon Li to rotate, up or down, around the rear struts -->

OwenM
12-20-2018, 14:42
Really liking the floor space. Might be parting with my Notch Li.
LOVE the floor space/width, my only real complaint with the Notch. I'd like to see heavier material, particularly for the floor(edit: Never mind that. Proto pics are see-through, but specs say 1oz/yd-excellent.), but this is the first shelter that's caught my interest in quite a while.

The Dyneema, and corresponding price point, will require some thought, but I'd buy that in silnylon with no floor or netting in a heartbeat.

Franco
12-21-2018, 04:25
Here is a better comparison photo

Rex Clifton
12-21-2018, 07:31
I’m really liking this tent, but before I sell me Duplex and pull the trigger, there are a couple of problems I see with the design. Look at the pic below, there are no pulls on the end panels, see how the walls curve in. Even with the tent zipped up, the end walls look as if they will curve in dramatically in a stiff wind. Also, the corner vent looks like it has slats, meaning the tent won’t be stuffable without the hassle of removing them.

https://www.tarptent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/aeon_aerial.jpg

MtDoraDave
12-21-2018, 09:20
Here is a better comparison photo

Yes. Thank you Henry/ Franco.

I've been surprised how dry everything stays under the Notch without having to lower it down to storm mode.
*edit* Meaning that lowering it down to "storm mode" may be an option people wish to have prior to making the decision to buy the tent, but after purchase and use, they will discover it is rarely necessary to actually do.

hshires
12-21-2018, 12:42
I’m really liking this tent, but before I sell me Duplex and pull the trigger, there are a couple of problems I see with the design. Look at the pic below, there are no pulls on the end panels, see how the walls curve in. Even with the tent zipped up, the end walls look as if they will curve in dramatically in a stiff wind. Also, the corner vent looks like it has slats, meaning the tent won’t be stuffable without the hassle of removing them.

https://www.tarptent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/aeon_aerial.jpg

Here's a photo taken yesterday with the vestibule fully deployed (and pole set to 107cm but not including the apex guyline). It's a very strong pitch and, unlike your current shelter, wont flap around in the wind due to extra mid panel guylines which distort the panels and make it impossible to tighten the fabric. It is true that there are integrated 14in struts and that's what gives the design so much volume and strength. They can be removed but "stuffable" is never a good idea for Dyneema unless you want to dramatically decrease its lifespan.

Rex Clifton
12-21-2018, 13:59
Here's a photo taken yesterday with the vestibule fully deployed (and pole set to 107cm but not including the apex guyline). It's a very strong pitch and, unlike your current shelter, wont flap around in the wind due to extra mid panel guylines which distort the panels and make it impossible to tighten the fabric. It is true that there are integrated 14in struts and that's what gives the design so much volume and strength. They can be removed but "stuffable" is never a good idea for Dyneema unless you want to dramatically decrease its lifespan.

Yeah, I was just kvetching about the struts, I never stuff my Duplex, too bulky. This photo really makes the point about the pitch, in fact, it looks as if the struts help in keeping everything taut!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

martinb
01-06-2019, 19:44
Henry/franco, any pics of the interior mesh setup? From out side it looks like only the entry/exit area has mesh. Correct?

Franco
01-06-2019, 20:52
Hi,
Yes , it's a real tarp tent , so not two walls but a fly with the floor attached to the walls via mesh (for air flow) and a mesh door panel.

shelb
01-07-2019, 00:26
Hope this isn't too off-topic...
Regarding the Duplex, how does it handle consistently wet weather? (My - OLDER - Rainbow's bathtub floor doesn't keep out the wetness enough... Looking to get a new tent that I can use - and have my husband join me in for the 1-2 days a year he is with me in a tent...

DuneElliot
01-07-2019, 04:30
Hope this isn't too off-topic...
Regarding the Duplex, how does it handle consistently wet weather? (My - OLDER - Rainbow's bathtub floor doesn't keep out the wetness enough... Looking to get a new tent that I can use - and have my husband join me in for the 1-2 days a year he is with me in a tent...

There are plenty of posts covering this but DCF (what the Duplex is made of) is completely waterproof.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2019, 13:56
I would like to see TT transfer to some different weight and color materials. I cant stand the "natural" dynama transparency which is another reason I like the spruce green. I also just like the name spruce green :)

If TT made a spruce green SS2 Li I would probably fork out the chedder. Until then, just another excuse to keep using the paid for duplex.

martinb
01-08-2019, 16:20
Hi,
Yes , it's a real tarp tent , so not two walls but a fly with the floor attached to the walls via mesh (for air flow) and a mesh door panel.

Thanks for the description.

Lnj
01-08-2019, 17:36
I have a TT Double Moment (2016?) and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I can't do without the double wall. It's perfect space for just me and all my stuff without touching walls with plenty of vestibule space, but I can also sleep with my husband in there too and not be cramped. That's THE tent. Glad they upgraded it but it will probably be many more years before I need another one.

Franco
01-22-2019, 16:12
$535 for the Aeon.

wordstew
01-22-2019, 19:18
Yup $535.....

Zalman
01-31-2019, 14:00
Some pretty impressive specs up for this tent. For 17.5oz total you get:

- 30in x 88in of usable (as in arms-flailing around) space to a height of about 36"
- full weather, bug, and ground protection
- single-component shelter setup ease
- single-pole pitch -- so even lighter overall if you don't happen to already carry two poles.
- stakes and stuff sack
- supposedly doors that can be opened and closed without adjusting guylines (if I'm understanding this right)

That's a serious weight-to-functionality ratio.

martinb
02-05-2019, 16:41
This tent draws me like a manatee to a spring in the winter but, plenty of condensation concerns given that it's a single wall. If anyone here happens to get one please let us know how well it handles the damp stuff.

Feral Bill
02-05-2019, 17:15
Some pretty impressive specs up for this tent. For 17.5oz total you get:

- 30in x 88in of usable (as in arms-flailing around) space to a height of about 36"
- full weather, bug, and ground protection
- single-component shelter setup ease
- single-pole pitch -- so even lighter overall if you don't happen to already carry two poles.
- stakes and stuff sack
- supposedly doors that can be opened and closed without adjusting guylines (if I'm understanding this right)

That's a serious weight-to-functionality ratio. Sounds like a Dynema coffin to me.

martinb
02-05-2019, 19:26
Sounds like a Dynema coffin to me.

There's a 7' dude in the tarptent video for this model. He doesn't look cramped.

Dogwood
02-05-2019, 19:43
I would guess $550-$600. Can’t go much higher than that since the Plexamid is at $550 and the Duplex $600.

Assuming ZPacks should be the standard to look to by the outdoor community to set the market price for DCF gear is IMHO problematic!

Dogwood
02-05-2019, 19:47
The Aeon Li

https://www.tarptent.com/whats-new/

Could have named it The Pharaoh or Pyramid Code or 'Walk like an Egyptian.'

Dogwood
02-05-2019, 20:14
Noted improvements in possible greater wind worthiness and interior volume. Still the back side(non door side) needs to be set up facing into the prevailing wind direction. I'd like to know if it can be set up with a bit more mesh space between the top of the bathtub and outside edge of the tent other than the triangular corner cut outs? If that slight adjustment option exists I can see greater cross ventilation at ground level resulting in less risk of condensation in condensation prone situations. ZP's designs offer that.

As a 6'4" tall ectomorph I like the head room and length to stretch out without possibly touching the interior walls of a SW shelter. That was a concern in most of ZP's designs.

I didn't see noted if the floor was removable or integrated? Franco?

https://www.tarptent.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/aeon_flatvest.jpg

Lot of stress placed on the top apex spacer bar and DCF. That was one of the issues with some SMD designs, apex fabric wear through even when heavier material and double facing and triple stitching/double bonding seaming were done. Also more stress on the two front door panel corner tie outs if this set up was chosen for a tight campsite in swirling winds. That's some wind shear on the fact front door pulling on the door panel stakes. I like it gets you into a smaller CS but I see that as downside in that set up with swirling wind.

Dogwood
02-05-2019, 20:15
Integrated floor, got it. :)

Franco
02-05-2019, 22:53
as explained in the caption of that photo, the flat front is only if you have to, in other words something you can do but don't have to (most tents of that type need the front guyline to stand up )
Otherwise , this is how it would be set up

Zalman
02-26-2019, 15:33
The first 20 are on sale now, if you can get through on the website. More coming in April.

Franco
02-26-2019, 21:39
The first lot was sold a couple of weeks ago. (I think 120, sold in a day or so) Those 20 from this morning were from another small run, all gone, but they are trying for a much larger run soon.

beefsmack
02-27-2019, 15:50
Thanks for the update.

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2019, 19:16
Nice tent. Not that I need another tent but i am curious about further reviews. Those corner holes won’t let reflected splash into the tent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franco
02-27-2019, 19:19
from the product page :

Zalman
02-27-2019, 19:21
Nice tent. Not that I need another tent but i am curious about further reviews. Those corner holes won’t let reflected splash into the tent?

The corner vents have storm covers.

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2019, 19:48
How does a storm cover prevent water reflecting from the ground up?

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2019, 19:49
Aah i see. They close completely. Cool.

martinb
03-21-2019, 09:04
Anyone get to try one yet? How is the condensation?

BradMT
03-21-2019, 09:41
Anyone get to try one yet? How is the condensation?

Indeed, I'm curious about condensation as well...

BradMT
03-23-2019, 14:25
A good review including comments on condensation:

https://www.thehikinglife.com/2019/02/gear-review-tarptent-aeon-li/

Ventilation and Condensation: "Like all single wall shelters, condensation can be an issue with the Aeon Li in certain environments. This can be mitigated to a certain degree by savvy campsite selection leaving the vestibule door/s open when conditions permit, and setting the height of your trekking pole as high as practical in order to increase ventilation under the sides of the tent. The Aeon Li also sports a top peak vent and PitchLoc corners, which can be left open when conditions are fine, or closed up via the adjustable storm flaps when the weather is coming in. While I think the corners can contribute to increased ventilation, practically speaking I’m not sure the small top peak vent makes too much of a difference."

martinb
03-24-2019, 17:14
Thanks for that link. Since I camp primarily in the SE I'm wary about single walls. My notch Li has been great at limiting condensation but two doors with rolled up vestibules, hard to get any condensation in that configuration.

BradMT
03-25-2019, 09:43
Thanks for that link. Since I camp primarily in the SE I'm wary about single walls. My notch Li has been great at limiting condensation but two doors with rolled up vestibules, hard to get any condensation in that configuration.

Even though I'm in the relatively dry state of Montana, the Rainbow I owned was nothing but an incredible condensation collector, which led me to finally sell it. Having said that, the Aeon seems capable of more significant ventilation than the Rainbow.

Zalman
03-31-2019, 11:35
A nice video breakdown of the Aeon Li (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5AfnCFbmAA&list=WL&index=4&t=0s), including a point-by-point comparison to the Plexamid.

martinb
04-01-2019, 14:52
Nice vid, thanks for posting the link.