PDA

View Full Version : Hammock camping studies?

freefall
02-22-2006, 06:19
Does anyone know of any existing or current studies involving hammocks and backcountry? Haven't been able to find any myself. I know the industry, as well as many users puport it to be low impact( to the environment) . Just wondering if it is true or not.

neo
02-22-2006, 08:47
Does anyone know of any existing or current studies involving hammocks and backcountry? Haven't been able to find any myself. I know the industry, as well as many users puport it to be low impact( to the environment) . Just wondering if it is true or not.

may someone will start one:cool: neo

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 11:02
There was a big discussion about this on the Yahoo hammockcamping list. They were talking mostly about what the ropes do to the trees, though...someone here at WB mentioned that more impact may come from walking around the campsite rather than actually putting a tent on the ground. I guess both should be included in an impact study.

IIRC, no one found any true studies (systematic, objective, etc). Lots of opinions out there, even in the park service, but I guess it hasn't been a big enough issue for anyone to actually fund a study.

Maybe you should petition the NPS for a grant and start one!

freefall
02-22-2006, 20:04
There was a big discussion about this on the Yahoo hammockcamping list. They were talking mostly about what the ropes do to the trees, though...someone here at WB mentioned that more impact may come from walking around the campsite rather than actually putting a tent on the ground. I guess both should be included in an impact study.

IIRC, no one found any true studies (systematic, objective, etc). Lots of opinions out there, even in the park service, but I guess it hasn't been a big enough issue for anyone to actually fund a study.

Maybe you should petition the NPS for a grant and start one!

This is actually something I have been pondering. I don't think it has been looked at simply because it is relatively new. But with the rapid gain in popularity, it seems a good time to take a look.
My biggest concern is effect on trees. Just one hammocker hanging one night on two trees wouldn't seem to have an adverse effect. But the choice of location, especially on high use sections, would tend to be used by several in succession, and could have an impact. :rolleyes:

Just Jeff
02-22-2006, 20:08
Some parks have outlawed hanging anything from trees because of special moss growing on the bark, or because of snails that live on the trees, etc. But that's specific to those locations as far as I know.

Even using straps, I've noticed some compression on thick-barked trees. Not bad and nothing that even came close to harming the living part of tree, but it's still damage. Seems counter-intuitive, but I've never seen any damage from thin-barked trees when I used straps.

Certainly deserves a good study.