PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoeing Vail

devoidapop
12-13-2018, 10:22
I'm headed to Vail with my family in January. I don't ski, so will have plenty of time to snowshoe. I saw that there are guided tours at the science center, so I'll take advantage of that. What is the best trail map for Vail/Minturn? How tough is the Booth Falls Trail in snowshoes? I'd have little kids in tow for that.

MuddyWaters
12-13-2018, 11:01
Have you considered learning to ski?

I brought my parents with us to crested butte one year when kids were little. I paid for everything. Got a bigger condo because of it. I thought I was going to get a little free babysitting that would off set daycare cost then.

I was wrong.

Still glad I did it.

My parents did try skiing though. They gave it one day. My dad kept falling down and my mom's nose wouldn't quit running so they called it quits and amused themselves in other ways, none of which included watching my kids.

devoidapop
12-13-2018, 11:30
Have you considered learning to ski?

I brought my parents with us to crested butte one year when kids were little. I paid for everything. Got a bigger condo because of it. I thought I was going to get a little free babysitting that would off set daycare cost then.

I was wrong.

Still glad I did it.

My parents did try skiing though. They gave it one day. My dad kept falling down and my mom's nose wouldn't quit running so they called it quits and amused themselves in other ways, none of which included watching my kids.

I skied occasionally as a kid in MD, VA, and WV. I was never any good and in Vail I just fall down the mountain. I'll be happy to take walk through the snowy woods this time.

swisscross
12-13-2018, 13:40
try snowboarding. I could never ski worth a darn and my knees hurt for weeks after just one day. Snowboarding was easy on my knees and it is easier to learn.

devoidapop
12-13-2018, 15:28
I'm actually excited about snowshoeing everyday and not doing any downhill activities. no offense to the skiers and snowboarders, it's just not for me.

So, does anybody have suggestions on which trail map to get or a can't miss hike in Vail or Minturn?

Venchka
12-13-2018, 18:04
The trailheads out of Minturn are on a bad road in late summer. You’re never going to get up there in the winter.
Cross country skiing on groomed trails in Vail?
Have fun.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
12-13-2018, 18:53
Id ask at the nordic center.

Venchka
12-14-2018, 00:11
I was right. Sounds like fun!
http://vailclubhouse.com/nordic-center/
Wayne

RJones
12-14-2018, 00:32
Minturn Forest Service can help you at 970-827-5715.

Night Train
12-14-2018, 13:18
All Trails app. Google Store.

devoidapop
01-22-2019, 17:14
so, we've only been here a couple days but already found some gems.
Grouse Creek Trail in Minturn
Squaw Creek Trail in Edwards

Gonna hit the Gore Creek Trail early tomorrow morning.

walkingmountains.org does educational backcountry tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. we went with them today and had a fantastic time. I highly recommend them.

chknfngrs
01-22-2019, 17:46
So cool thanks for sharing!