PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Holder Convenience

methodman
12-14-2018, 23:57
I am an older guy, so I just cannot reach the water bottle out of the side of the pack any more. Has anyone heard about Justin Anderson's equipment? I recently purchased some bottle holders of his and they seem to be the best I have ever had. Has anyone tried them and had any problems at all?

Odd Man Out
12-15-2018, 00:22
I have used DIY bottle holders. I just got some thin bungee cord (maybe a couple mm diameter) for a fa ric store. Tied two loops on each shoulder strap. I use Gatorade bottles that have grooves to loop the bungees trough so the bottled don't slide out.

I think that carrying water on the shoulder straps helps balance the load. The most efficient way to carry a load is to have it centered over you spine. Also when I have my bottles in the side pouches I can hear and feel the water slosh around as I walk which i feel represents wasted effort. But on the shoulder straps, the bottles ride much more smootly. The only downside is I have to take the bottles off when I take the pack off, but I don't take my pack off too many times once I get going. Also it does take two hands to put the bottles back (but can be pulled off with one hand).

methodman
12-15-2018, 00:38
The ones I have now can stay on even when the pack is off.

TwoSpirits
12-15-2018, 08:55
I'd be interested to hear more. Can you describe it more, or have a pic or link?

Hatchet_1697
12-15-2018, 09:19
JustinsUL's shop on Etsy https://etsy.me/2CKSoty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Paleolith54
12-15-2018, 10:37
In the meantime: have you tried loosening the strap on that side? Makes it a whole lot easier to reach back. I've noticed that this doesn't occur to everyone.

Pringles
12-15-2018, 10:52
Aquaclips are great, and easy to use, too. I believe Zpacks just started carrying them. An aquaclip holds a Smartwater type bottle around its neck, and slides into strap or a D ring on your shoulder strap. If you go on a day hike, the clip will slide into your pocket. It’s easy and inexpensive, and you don’t have to do contortions to get at your water... just another option.

Durunner
12-15-2018, 11:08
I have two from Zimmerbuilt that are awesome. I carry all my drinking water in the front and cooking water goes in the side pocket then. So happy I went with that setup.

Nanatuk
12-15-2018, 11:10
I have an Aquaclip (https://www.traildesigns.com/products/aquaclip) velcro'd on the right shoulder strap on each of my packs. I modify them slightly. I heat up the bottom of the clip and put a short 90 bend to make a stop and prevent the aqua clip from sliding out from the top of the velcro strap. I add elastic cord loop with a cord toggle to keep the water bottle tight to the strap.

I've been using this for setup for a couple of years and find it very easy to access while I'm walking.

TexasBob
12-15-2018, 11:22
Aquaclips are great, and easy to use, too. I believe Zpacks just started carrying them. An aquaclip holds a Smartwater type bottle around its neck, and slides into strap or a D ring on your shoulder strap. If you go on a day hike, the clip will slide into your pocket. It’s easy and inexpensive, and you don’t have to do contortions to get at your water... just another option.

They are great. Here is a link to their site.

https://www.aquaclip.com/

ldsailor
12-15-2018, 11:51
I have another take on this. Why not use a water bladder that goes in your pack? I use one and it is extremely convenient. I just grab the hose velcroed to my shoulder strap and drink. To fill it, I use a Sawyer filter and have configured the hose with a quick disconnect (available as a kit) to which the Sawyer attaches and then I fill the bladder from a Sawyer squeeze bag. My backpack is never opened to access the bladder. I carry the Sawyer and squeeze bag in the webbing on the back of my Zpack backpack. The amount of time to do a refill is not long at all.

After using this system for three years, I have a pretty good handle on when the bladder is getting low, but if you don't trust yourself to be able to tell when to get more water, bring a small bottle of water as a backup. I sometimes use a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle when I'm on a part of the trail with "iffy" water sources.

TwoSpirits
12-15-2018, 12:01
JustinsUL's shop on Etsy https://etsy.me/2CKSoty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk ProThanks for the link. Nice.

Hatchet_1697
12-15-2018, 12:15
Here’s a similar item...

Handmade Water Bottle Holder, 210D HDPE Gridstop (210D Dyneema X Gridstop), Black, Dark Olive by AlpinePeakDesigns on Etsy https://etsy.me/2Ekeers

I carry two 1L smart water bottles on the sides of my Zpacks Arcblast and have the same issue. My solution was an adapter hose. Lightest functional one with good durability was the Blue Desert SmarTube Hydration System but it might not be available anymore. There are similar ones on Amazon that are a few grams heavier. I replaced the mouthpiece with my preferred one and it works great. Added a Katadyn adapter Kit and by loosening the cap I can fill directly from my BeFree filter without removing the bottles. Easy-peasy.

I have several hundred miles with this setup and no issues... except occasionally forgetting to loosen or retighten the cap when filling, but that’s self inflicted. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

perrymk
12-15-2018, 12:17
I can relate to the loss of agility. I have three approaches for a water bottle holder.

I have an old Camp Trail Adjustable II backpack similar to this one. Very old. The water bottle holder is position on the upper part of the pack so it is convenient to reach even with the pack on. I don't use this as often anymore although it weighs under 4 pounds and is very comfortable.

I made an external frame for my day pack and lower on the frame attached a bicycle water bottle cage to hold a water bottle. Also very convenient.
I also use a bicycle water bottle cage to attach a water bottle to my walk behind lawn mower.

I have this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IR0HO6W/?coliid=I2696BW1O7VQNM&colid=2GVAUGO5T0TNU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it) one attached to my shoulder strap on yet another pack. On the other shoulder strap is a cell phone holder. This last one is becoming my 'go to' approach.

Five Tango
12-16-2018, 11:14
I've got Zimmerbilt's on my ULA Circuit-they work great!Also have a bottle holder that's a carabiner and rubber grommet like job for a belt clip.Amazon is full of bottle carrying devices............

MuddyWaters
12-16-2018, 11:47
Nothing good comes from adding weight on your shoulder straps

Five Tango
12-16-2018, 17:56
I like my water bottles on the straps because it is a bit of a counter weight to what is on my back.No problems so far and it is convenient.Not everybody wants a water hose/bladder to contend with and no way I can reach into a side pocket to retrieve a bottle.

MuddyWaters
12-16-2018, 19:45
I like my water bottles on the straps because it is a bit of a counter weight to what is on my back.No problems so far and it is convenient.Not everybody wants a water hose/bladder to contend with and no way I can reach into a side pocket to retrieve a bottle.

Wt ends up on shoulders

Five Tango
12-16-2018, 20:21
I think the argument could be made that every ounce in the pack rests on the hips,shoulder,and feet.No?
Where do you carry yours?

MuddyWaters
12-16-2018, 20:30
Wt should be on hips as much as possible, for least discomfort.

I have no problem reaching bottles in side pockets. I know some do though. I often don't drink until stopped so taking off pack to get water isnt that big of a deal anyway. But my pack don't weigh that much so it's not trouble to get on and off.

saltysack
12-16-2018, 23:56

On my burn without a hip belt I DO find having some weight up front makes it more comfortable and obviously more accessible...though I agree with a reg framed pack the weight is more comfortable on the hips...I’ve also got [emoji3073] arms so trying to reach back is a pita and hurts my rotator cuff. Typical carries I have a 20 oz Gatorade bother on each side with a 20 oz smart water on one side pocket in the event my evernew dirty water bag ships the bed....yep it’s happened twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deacon
12-17-2018, 07:19

Thank you for saying this.

All these systems are nice, but more weight than I want to carry. I use a flat Evernew flexible bottle that slides nicely into the side pocket of my Arcblast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rhjanes
12-17-2018, 12:03
I have another take on this. Why not use a water bladder that goes in your pack? I use one and it is extremely convenient. I just grab the hose velcroed to my shoulder strap and drink. To fill it, I use a Sawyer filter and have configured the hose with a quick disconnect (available as a kit) to which the Sawyer attaches and then I fill the bladder from a Sawyer squeeze bag. My backpack is never opened to access the bladder. I carry the Sawyer and squeeze bag in the webbing on the back of my Zpack backpack. The amount of time to do a refill is not long at all.

After using this system for three years, I have a pretty good handle on when the bladder is getting low, but if you don't trust yourself to be able to tell when to get more water, bring a small bottle of water as a backup. I sometimes use a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle when I'm on a part of the trail with "iffy" water sources.
It is another option to consider. I tried it for a few years and moved away from it. I don't want to carry an extra bottle as a backup. My problem with the hydration bladder in the pack, was two fold. I could never tell how much I had left and ran out a few times (nothing critical). I found myself "filling up" more than was needed, under the fear of running dry. To do anything with the bladder, meant for me, to remove stuff from the pack, to get the bladder back in. But the quick-coupler for the Sawyer system, is neat and was helpful.
I was hiking with a friend once and to solve the issues I noted, he pulled the bladder out, hooked up the Sawyer inline, then would just strap the bladder to the top of his pack. Easy to see what was left, no filtering at the site and no quick connect gear needed. But the downside was all that weight up near his shoulders.
But you bring up another option for everyone to consider.

Zalman
12-17-2018, 12:20
I was hiking with a friend once and to solve the issues I noted, he pulled the bladder out, hooked up the Sawyer inline, then would just strap the bladder to the top of his pack. Easy to see what was left, no filtering at the site and no quick connect gear needed. But the downside was all that weight up near his shoulders.

Weight up high isn't necessarily a terrible thing, depending on the type of pack one is carrying. With a true pack-frame, weight carried high is also generally much closer to your lateral center of gravity than weight down low.

As to water bottle access in general: Seek Outside offers a nice UL water-bottle holder accessory that fits on the waistbelt of my pack. It sits all the way back, just in front of the side pocket. It carries the bottle wonderfully. However, there are still two issue with this setup: First, it puts the bottle in a position where it hits my elbow when I walk, which is pretty annoying. Second, when the bottle is full it makes donning and removing the pack awkward, as the heavy bottle causes the belt to hang/swing in strange directions.

I'm currently looking into how I can use the side pockets on the pack, but with the bottle in a more horizontal arrangement and the cap pointing mostly forward, which I think may allow easier access while the pack is on.

Ironically, I never cared much about pack-on water bottle access until I had it offered to me. Like others here, I just drop my pack to have some water, because I'm in no hurry. If I were a trail runner, er, I mean thru hiker, I suppose I might want to switch to a bladder, because then I don't even have to slow down to remove the bottle cap!

JPritch
12-17-2018, 13:53
Zimmerbuilt here as well! Though it works best for the 2/3 liter bottles, which is what I prefer to carry up front anyway. Justin's looks to accommodate the 1L bottles better if that's what you want easy access to.

Five Tango
12-17-2018, 17:09
I own a ULA Circuit and an Aarn Load Limo,both were designed for water bottle carry on the straps.Not sayn' it's a bad idea or a good idea,just sayn' it works for me and my shoulders don't hurt at the end of the day.The Aarn website has quite a bit to say about counter balance with front pack carry to center the load over the hips.

It works for me because I have had a back issue before and stooping forward does not help it.

CalebJ
12-17-2018, 17:21
Similar to what Five Tango said above - I won't get into the good/bad debate about hip vs shoulder loading. For me, however, switching to shoulder strap mounted bottles after twenty years of using the pouches on the side of the pack or hydration systems was a massive improvement. No shoulder complaints either.

zelph
12-17-2018, 19:05
Thank you for saying this.

All these systems are nice, but more weight than I want to carry. I use a flat Evernew flexible bottle that slides nicely into the side pocket of my Arcblast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What size fits in that pocket?
https://www.thunderadventurecompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/evernew-water-carriers.jpg

Climber714
12-17-2018, 20:22
I saw a pretty neat video of a fellow who puts a one liter smarter bottle in each side pocket of his pack. He then takes the smart water sport cap, the one that you flip open and it’s got a blue drink spout, and he grounds out the hold a bit such that a hydration bladder tube will fit and inserts it from the shoulder strap to the top of the pack then down side (as opposed to inside to the bladder) into the smart water bottle. When’s he’s out on that side, he takes the pack off and swaps bottles.

Seems like this has all the benefits of the bottle plus the convenience of the tube and quick access to water on the fly. I’m gonna do that this weekend.

JPritch
12-18-2018, 11:47
I'm intrigued, that sounds like a cool idea!

tiptoe
12-18-2018, 14:49
I do something similar (platypus 1L bladder in side pocket of Circuit, with hydration tube attached). I also carry a Powerade bottle or two attached to the front straps. That way I have the best of both worlds: I can drink while hiking and use the bottles for in-camp water.

Feral Bill
12-18-2018, 15:18
I have simple sacks that attache to the hip belt of my packs. They hold a 1 liter Nalgene or similar bottle and are easy to use. Cost about $5. Naturally, they don't seem to be sold anymore. I expect any decent sewer could make one in a few minutes.

methodman
12-18-2018, 15:43
Can you put a picture up showing the bags and their positioning? I can't figure out how they don't get in the way of your legs at least when you're going up and down hills.

Time Zone
12-18-2018, 17:25
Wt ends up on shoulders

Not necessarily, if all your pack weight is on your hips and your shoulder straps are attached slightly above your shoulder level, so that they're only serving to keep the pack from falling backwards.

Time Zone
12-18-2018, 17:38
They are great. Here is a link to their site.

https://www.aquaclip.com/

I'll second ... er, third, the recommendation to try aquaclips. They're not expensive, and at worst, you can give them away, such as at a "dirty Santa" party.

They helped me make good use of an alpine pack that otherwise had no water bottle pockets or even water bladder. I lucked out in a way, because the clips don't easily fit on any buckles or shoulder straps of any other pack - but they did this one, and that's good, because it's now the only pack I have that is >39L. But you can also use them on your hipbelt, pant pocket, etc.

Other comment: I'm not a fan of hydration bladders and would recommend against them on 3 grounds (recognizing that YMMV, however):

1) they steal capacity from inside the pack
2) they're a PITA to clean
3) I usually can't walk and drink at the same time anyway, so it's just not necessary to have a water tube at the ready right near me.
bonus: 4) too often, they leak
OP, you mentioned that you have trouble reaching your water bottle. I do too - it takes some contortion, so even if I can get it, it's often hard or impossible to put back without help or taking off the pack. But why not just loosen one shoulder strap and swing your pack around on the other shoulder, then grab the bottle out, drink, put back, and put the pack back on the rest of the way?

TexasBob
12-18-2018, 18:00
They helped me make good use of an alpine pack that otherwise had no water bottle pockets or even water bladder. I lucked out in a way, because the clips don't easily fit on any buckles or shoulder straps of any other pack - but they did this one, and that's good, because it's now the only pack I have that is >39L. But you can also use them on your hipbelt, pant pocket, etc. ..............

I got a new pack that didn't have a conveniently placed spot to hook the clip on the shoulder strap like my old pack but I was able to weave a zip tie through the outer fabric to make one, works great. I find I drink more often when the water is so easy to get to. I carry a 20oz coke bottle on one shoulder strap so the weight really isn't an issue. I use a loop of shock cord around the bottom of the bottle to keep it from bouncing around and the coke bottle shape keeps the cord from slipping off the bottom of the bottle.

methodman
12-19-2018, 00:23
I appreciate all the interest, but for the time being, I think I will stick with the Justin Andersons.

GaryM
12-19-2018, 13:40
My water bottle hangs from the right shoulder strap via a carabiner. There are so good points about putting weight on the shoulders so I think I will relocate mine to a convenient spot on the pack itself and see how much difference that makes.

tiptoe
12-19-2018, 14:42
I use Aquaclips for dog walking, gardening, and other yard work. Never tried them for backpacking, though. One caveat: if you sit down, the bottle tends to pop out of your back pocket.

Maui Rhino
12-19-2018, 15:51
The system I have come to really like is a pair of 1L bladders mounted on my front straps. However, the simple silny pouch I sewed to hold them isn't attached at a fixed point along the strap. The strap runs through a sleeve on the pouch. In use, the small bladder slides all the way down to where the strap attaches to the pack, just above the hipbelt. I don't think it gives quite the same counterbalance benefits as a bottle mounted near your sternum straps, but it does give some. You may find it hits your elbow sometimes, but I haven't found it to be an issue as the pouch rides very close to and slightly behind the torso. I can easily access the bladders, and yet they're out of the way.

The bladder I use is the Source 1l. I like that it has a leak-proof quick-disconnect for the drinking tube. I carry only one tube and easily switch bladders. The mouthpiece is also QD, and connects right to my Sawyer water filter for quick easy refills.

Since I like to hydrate on the move, and prefer bladders over bottles, this setup works for me. However, it took time for me to settle on it. I suggest you try a few different things and see what works best for you....

Maineiac64
12-19-2018, 20:50
I use aqua clips when its not too hot, but they are a PITA to keep secure to my shoulder straps. When it is hot, I use a bladder with a quick disconnect set-up that allows to easily refill without taking the bladder out. For me, having the bladder translates into much more frequent hydration. My tube has a magnetic clip that reclips after dropping the tube.

The justin anderson option looks interesting.

Nanatuk
12-20-2018, 02:14
I use aqua clips when its not too hot, but they are a PITA to keep secure to my shoulder straps
I attach my aqua clip using a velcro straps, but it kept sliding up and out of the strap. I've found that if you heat up the bottom 1/2 inch of the aquaclip slightly, just enough to get the plastic soft, and bend it 90 degrees so you have about 1/3 of an inch lip, it will stop it from sliding out.

rhjanes
12-20-2018, 12:03
I attach my aqua clip using a velcro straps, but it kept sliding up and out of the strap. I've found that if you heat up the bottom 1/2 inch of the aquaclip slightly, just enough to get the plastic soft, and bend it 90 degrees so you have about 1/3 of an inch lip, it will stop it from sliding out.
Interesting. Could you describe how you remove the bottle to drink from? I have clips, and where you have the orange line, I have elastic. I can simply pull up. The clip slides out of the pack strap and the bottle slides out of the elastic. Now if I fall, there is the issue that the bottle takes off! With your heated and bent end to the Aqua clip, I'm not sure how you (conveniently) remove the bottle.

Nanatuk
12-20-2018, 12:26
Interesting. Could you describe how you remove the bottle to drink from? I have clips, and where you have the orange line, I have elastic. I can simply pull up. The clip slides out of the pack strap and the bottle slides out of the elastic. Now if I fall, there is the issue that the bottle takes off! With your heated and bent end to the Aqua clip, I'm not sure how you (conveniently) remove the bottle.
I remove the bottle from the clip rather than the aquaclip from the pack. I find it very easy to pull the bottle in one motion from the clip when I'm ready to drink. Securing it takes two motions, snap it back into the clip, then pull the orange cord over the bottom of the bottle. All very easy to do while on the move. The orange cord is shock/elastic cord and I usually don't have to readjust it when returning the bottle to the clip. I use the cord toggle only to eliminate any rattles or squeaks.

I heated and bent the bottom of the clip to prevent it from sliding out. That does prevent it from being used separately, but I don't find that to be a problem. If I need to carry bottles to the spring, I usually just use a loop of cord around the necks of the bottles and a carabiner that can be attached to a belt loop.

Zpacks kit include a rubber end cap to slide over the end of the Aquaclip that performs the same function as the bend.

MtDoraDave
12-22-2018, 06:49
I also find it difficult to access side pockets for water, so what I started doing when I first started hiking was to use a water bottle sling. Chico bag? I loop it through the carry/ hanging handle of the pack and let it ride behind my arm. When I want some water, it's easy to get to.

Not sure if I can hotlink...
https://www.chicobag.com/images/product/icon/BSRAM-1.jpg