PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Thru-Hikers

lbbrown
02-22-2006, 10:42
What kind of stuff would a thru-hiker appreciate as a send-off gift?:-?

Jaybird
02-22-2006, 10:45
What kind of stuff would a thru-hiker appreciate as a send-off gift?:-?

CASH always works (or money orders):D

kyhipo
02-22-2006, 10:45
socks, homemade cookies,money pictures and cards of support.:sun ky

Chef2000
02-22-2006, 10:52
Money, Remember anything you send to a hiker in the mail has to be carried. I started my hike at about 55 lbs, Cash has no weight.

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 10:55
Cash. Calling cards.

Brock
02-22-2006, 11:35
chocolate
helium/hydrogen balloons
a picture of family/friends
a letter from family/friends

Pacific Tortuga
02-22-2006, 22:50
Does Walasi-Yi sell a store gift card (food included)? I would think every thru-hiker would love one and how about a hostel pre-paid stay,good for six months as long as they have vacancys and one can never get too many REI cash cards .:D

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 23:12
Does Walasi-Yi sell a store gift card (food included)? I would think every thru-hiker would love one and how about a hostel pre-paid stay,good for six months as long as they have vacancys and one can never get too many REI cash cards .:D

Not to be rude, but these cards already exist....They're called credit cards...which get paid with CASH.

bfitz
02-22-2006, 23:38
Mabye a chip loaded with mp3s you picked out for their mp3 player (the modern equivalent of a mix tape....)

Pacific Tortuga
02-22-2006, 23:40
Not to be rude, but these cards already exist....They're called credit cards...which get paid with CASH.

I don't think your rude, just a small problem understanding the original question. :rolleyes:

Rendezvous01
02-22-2006, 23:47
Best gifts I received before and during my hike were phone cards and notes of encouragement.
Oh, and a small vial of sunscreen. Worth every bit of that extra ounce. Well-meant added gear went home asap, and the extra weight wasn't much enjoyed over those first 30 miles.
Further along the Trail, homemade goodies such as cookies were much appreciated, although in small quantities. Don't send more than two dozen cookies, because your hiker will only eat the first 12 or 15 and then have to carry the rest of them for at least the first hour.

River Runner
02-22-2006, 23:51
A foot masseuse waiting at Walasi-Yi (or better yet the first night's shelter!)

hustler
02-22-2006, 23:56
I would give the hiker a nice piece of gear, like a ti-pot 1 1/2 quart, super feet, or specta-line. Just think of something more useful and lighter than what this person already has.

general
02-23-2006, 18:53
beer! nothing like startin' out of the gate with a killer hangover.

khaynie
02-23-2006, 19:00
A good book.

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2006, 19:01
You shouldn't buy clothing or gear unless you know EXACTLY what the hiker wants....model, style, size, color, etc.

Lone Wolf nailed it pretty good.....cash is always nice, and phone cards are a good way to make sure the hiker calls you.

About the best surprises I got on the Trail was arriving in a town to discover someone sent me a card with 20 bucks in it, with a note saying "Take your best friend out for pizza and a couple of beers" and that's exactly what we did. On a few other occasions, I arrived at a hostel and discovered that friends had pre-paid for my stay, which was also very nice.

Another nice gift idea, especially for hikers on a budget, is to offer to buy them their map set, which a lot of folks skip altogether in order to save money. Or offer to pay transport costs to or from Springer or Katahdin, which is very uiseful to folks on a budget.

saimyoji
02-23-2006, 20:33
I don't think your rude, just a small problem understanding the original question. :rolleyes:

So, by providing the hiker with a 'gift card' to whatever establishment, they have the equivalent of cash that can be used at that establishment, but they don't have to repay it later, like you would have to with a credit card? So this is trully a 'gift' whereas a hiker bringing a credit card is not really giving themself a gift?

I think I got it now. Thanks for setting me straight. ;)