PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola or Springer?

Simpers
12-15-2018, 17:56
Hi all. I'm thru hiking NOBO March 2019. I'm travelling from Ireland to Atlanta and want to hire a shuttle. I need to stop at outfitters as there are certain things I cant buy here or take on plane. Can anyone recommend a good shuttle? Also, is there any benefit in starting at Amicolola or should I take shuttle straight to Springer?
Thanks

MuddyWaters
12-15-2018, 18:08
You can ship anything you cant bring to a shuttler to hold for you. And most will sell you fuel too. No need to stop anywhere.

Although the only thing you cant bring is fuel really. Everything else in checked bag, lighter matches li batteries in carryon.

Good outfitter at mile 30 on trail. Trail actually goes thru building.

Endless pointless debate for starting at springer vs amicalola. Do what you like. I will only say the amicalola falls are a highlight of Georgia, especially after rain.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2018, 18:47
Your probably going to want to spend at least one night someplace for a good nights sleep before you head out and the Lodge at Amicalola is a nice place to do that. You get to start out rested with a hot breakfast in you. The hike up the approach trail is not bad from the Lodge and is a good warm up to stretch the legs. Once you get to the top of Springer it's an easy 2.8 to Stover Creek shelter which is a nice place to stay. That sets you up to be 2 1/2 days from Neel Gap at a moderate pace. It's also kind of nice knowing you got to the top more or less from the bottom on your own. So, I'm in with the do the approach group.

Get reservations though, the Lodge does tend to fill up at that time of year, especially if the day you show up the weather is nasty and no one wants to go outside and play.

LazyLightning
12-15-2018, 21:16
I know a lot of people would probably laugh at it taking more then 2.5 days from Stover Creek to Neel Gap but I sure wasn't making that happen. I was slow but a lot of people were even slower then me in the beginning. A lot of people like 7-8 mile days starting off, so you might want to give yourself a little extra time and not plan out how long from point A to point B exactly till you get going a little. I still never planned that out exactly my entire hike but that's just me.

I do recommend Amicalola and a short bit after starting the AT theres a few short side trails to some smaller falls that are worth checking out.

fastfoxengineering
12-16-2018, 14:10
There's a fair amount of shuttle info with a quick search. Most will let you ship gear to them and offer fuel to buy.

I used the further shuttle. Private ride from ATL to amicalola and they stopped at an outfitter bought a fuel can and gave it to me as part of my cost.

All in all it was like $90 for a private ride and a large fuel can. Considering what I heard other people paying for shared shuttle and no fuel I would say I got a better deal than most.

The only people who will ever entertain the springer vs amicalola debate are people who have never thru hiked.

Go to amicalola. The state park alone is like a proper welcome to the Appalachian Trail. Enjoy the hike, chill out on springer. Take a deep breath, then walk to the first shelter, set up camp and enjoy the company. Avoid/ignore the gotta get to maine attitude right off the bat.

Everyone was talking about maine those first 30 miles. Its funny how quickly that talk dissipates a few weeks into the trail.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

tarheelrunner
12-16-2018, 14:46
If you decide to stay at the Lodge (top of the falls), you may want to slackpack from the bottom, just to say you did the WHOLE approach trail. Starting at the bottom with a fully loaded pack may tempt you to quit before you even start.

Another option would be to stay in the shelter behind the Welcome Center at the bottom of the falls and start from there. Hike your own hike.

map man
12-16-2018, 15:03
Can anyone recommend a good shuttle?

Ron Brown has an outstanding reputation as a shuttler. He is near the top of the page at this link for AT shuttlers:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/at-shuttles.php

I started at Amicolola on my section hike covering everything south of Franklin NC and was glad I did. Amicolola Falls are worth seeing in my opinion.

tiptoe
12-16-2018, 16:48
Amicalola. The falls are spectacular. Springer Mtn. isn't.

LazyLightning
12-16-2018, 19:16
The worst thing about the stairs is you can't use your poles and the railings are a little high to get good support... but it really isn't that bad. There's even a few places to sit down on the way up the stairs if you need a break or two.

bigcranky
12-16-2018, 21:47
It's going to be difficult/expensive to ship gear from Ireland, and the OP did say there are things they want that can't be purchased there anyway.

Most of the shuttlers who will pick up in Atlanta can stop at REI, a very large outfitter that is basically on the way. I second the suggestion to spend a night at the Amicalola Lodge, in the state park. It's basically at the start of the climb up the Approach Trail. It's not cheap, but it's worthwhile in my opinion. My partner and I stayed there on a long section and enjoyed it. This way you can relax a little bit as you stop at the outfitter and get your gear together, then get a good night's sleep and a great breakfast in the morning. Then walk out the door and start walking north :)

Good luck and happy trails.

Lauriep
12-16-2018, 22:24
Other benefits to starting at Amicalola:

You can pick up your 2019 A.T. backpack tag there (ideally register your thru-hike start date before you get there at www.atcamp.org)
Sign the official thru-hiker register
Weigh your pack (Yeah, you've weighed it before you left home, but who hasn't made some last-minute adjustments?)
Avoid potential problems with mud or ice on the Forest Service roads to Springer
Help reduce crowding at Springer (hiking only once between the parking lot and the summit, instead of backtracking and doubling the traffic)
Receive a brief thru-hiker orientation from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy ridgerunner; even if you're experienced hiker, you might hear some useful updates.
Learn how to do a proper PCT bear hang (if you're not carrying a bear canister). The ridgerunner does a demo right outside the visitor center and gives you a chance to practice.
Iconic photo op at the stone arch, a fitting beginning - if you're on social media tag your photo #startatthearch

Also, the stairs force you to start with a slow pace. Hopefully it can help you set a pattern from the beginning to learn to stop and rest frequently and enjoy the view. Learn to pay attention to your breathing and heart rate, listen to your body and drink frequently.

If you're truly not ready to begin a thru-hike (that's probably not you Simpers, since you are clearly thinking carefully in advance about what you need to do to prepare) you'll realize it quickly while you're still close to civilization, and save yourself and not-so-local rescuers having to haul you out of a remote area. I don't know the number of would-be thru-hikers that have to be rescued every year in Georgia, but it's not an insignificant number.

Laurie P.
ATC

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:46
Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will go to Amicolola then. Good news I don't have to stop at an outfitters. Contacted shuttle and they will provide the fuel.

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:48
Thank you so much for your reply. I will get the lodge booked once I get my flights organised. Much appreciated. Sara. :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:51
Amicalola it is then! Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it as it's my first time doing the AT and there is only so much a guide book or Youtube can tell you. It's so useful talking to other thru hikers. Thank you. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:55
Brilliant advice. Thanks so much for your reply. Will go to Amicalola. Good to talk to other thru hikers as most people over here haven't even heard of the AT so i've had to do a lot of research online but it's worth gold talking to people who have thru hiked it. Much appreciated. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:56
Thanks so much for your reply. Advice taken on board. Will definitely start at Amicalola! Sara :-)

Starchild
12-17-2018, 08:56
IMHO it doesn't matter, either way you will be hiking the AT. Pick a plan for one or the other, but I'd say go with the flow. You might find a easy ride to one, I'd take that unless I really wanted to do the other.

The trail will guide you and not mislead you, if you can listen to her. One can thrive on the AT when one is open to her teachings.

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:58
Thanks so much for your reply. Emailed Ron and he replied straight away. He's even bringing fuel for me. Much appreciated!! Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 08:58
Thanks so much for your reply. Amicalola it is ! Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 09:00
Thanks so much for your reply. I'll probably need a few breaks at the start til I get going so appreciate the advice. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 09:05
Thanks so much for your reply. Amicalola it is ! The only thing I cant get over here is a bear bag (due to absence of bears here) haha. And I contacted the shuttle who will be bring me fuel. Can't take a pocket knife on plane as carrying backpack on but I'm sure I'll manage til I get to the next outfitters. So its just the bear bag really I need. Ordered my backpack and quilt etc from zpacks but the tax and customs charges were extortionate so that's why I'm not shipping anything else over. Much appreciated. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-17-2018, 09:23
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice. I've been researching and preparing for the most part of a year but with being in Ireland, there is only so much I can learn from books and youtube. It's been so helpful talking to hikers/thru-hikers that know the AT. I'm delighted to hear about the information and facilities available at Amicalola, especially the bear bag hang demo. I can't even buy a bear bag here, they're not available anywhere or online here or in UK. So that's comforting to know. That was very useful and very much appreciated. Sara :-)

fastfoxengineering
12-17-2018, 09:53
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice. I've been researching and preparing for the most part of a year but with being in Ireland, there is only so much I can learn from books and youtube. It's been so helpful talking to hikers/thru-hikers that know the AT. I'm delighted to hear about the information and facilities available at Amicalola, especially the bear bag hang demo. I can't even buy a bear bag here, they're not available anywhere or online here or in UK. So that's comforting to know. That was very useful and very much appreciated. Sara :-)Honestly, if you got decent enough gear to get you to trail days... you could purchase some awesome gear at great deals. Just a thought. By then youll know what you want as well.

Im sure you could outfit yourself with what you need in ireland and then get some awesome cottage ultralight gear here at that time.

Do you have a gear list typed up? We can help

fastfoxengineering
12-17-2018, 09:59
You could buy whatever you wanted online and have it shipped to your shuttle driver or a trail angel. They're good people! And understand your situation. Just ask them if theyd be willing to help you out. Hell, you could even have a mail drop at Mountain Crossings.

What exactly do you need for gear?

Slo-go'en
12-17-2018, 11:24
There is nothing magical about a bear bag. It's simply your nylon stuff sack which you put your food in with a cord attached to it. You toss the end of the cord over a tree branch (10-15 feet off the ground and about the same from the side of the tree) and pull up the bag of food.

Tossing the end of the cord over the tree branch is the hard part. For a throwing weight, I use a 20 oz soda bottle (my water bottle) about 1/4 full of water. Attach the cord around the neck of the bottle and toss underhand. The shape and size of the bottle keeps it from wrapping around the branch or getting snagged on the way down. It takes some practice and never works on the first (or third) toss.

But, since all the shelters in Georgia have bear poles or cables, you don't have to toss ropes over tree branches very often, so long as you stay at designated sites. Slowly every shelter along the AT is getting outfitted with bear resistant food storage, be it poles, cables or steel boxes.

Starchild
12-17-2018, 13:22
There is nothing magical about a bear bag. It's simply your nylon stuff sack which you put your food in with a cord attached to it. You toss the end of the cord over a tree branch (10-15 feet off the ground and about the same from the side of the tree) and pull up the bag of food.....
He might be talking about a UR sack, IDK. Either way, on the AT one needs a bag (I like to use a drybag), and a cord.

lonehiker
12-17-2018, 15:51
Flip a coin. That is how relevant this decision is to the success of your hike.

Simpers
12-19-2018, 15:35
Thanks so much for your reply and advice. Much appreciated, Sara :-)

Simpers
12-19-2018, 15:39
Thanks so much for your reply. I ordered everything from zpacks and Big Agnes but the tax and customs to here were really expensive. Have nearly everything now except the bear bag but I've been offered advice below on what to buy. Should have enough to do til outfitters on trail. Many thanks. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-19-2018, 15:41
Thanks so much for your reply. Have received some great advice and think I have nearly everything now. Contacted my shuttle driver too who was very helpful. Many thanks. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-19-2018, 15:46
Thank you so much for this !!! I've been researching and buying gear for months and this was my main concern. I like the water bottle idea. Means I can just buy the nylon stuff sack and cord and practice at home. And that's good news about Georgia. What size stuff sack do you recommend and do you use a particular type of cord? Much appreciated, Sara :-)

Simpers
12-19-2018, 15:46
Thanks for your reply :-)

Simpers
12-20-2018, 06:37
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to order a dry sack today. Can you recommend what size and what type/length of cord I should order? Much appreciated, Sara.

lonehiker
12-20-2018, 09:50
Zpacks Bear Bag Kit.

bigcranky
12-20-2018, 11:52
+1 on the Zpacks bear bag kit.

If you don't go with the kit, you'll want 40-50 feet of cord to hang the bag. It should *not* be the thinnest, lightest cord you can find, nor does "parachute" cord work well (too stretchy.) I prefer Spectra cord, slightly thicker, as it's very light, does not stretch, and glides over the tree limb instead of cutting into it. You'll *definitely* want to learn the "PCT Method" for hanging.

(Yes the Zpacks kit is pricey, but it's a good deal all together. I got my bear line years ago from Backpackinglight, it's a specialized Spectra cord that was, um, $40.)

fastfoxengineering
12-20-2018, 12:15
Are you actually going to hang your food properly over the duration of the trip? Or are you going to sleep with it?

Simpers
12-20-2018, 14:23
That's great. I'll get that ordered this evening online. Have had a look at PCT method online so once I get my kit I can have a go at it before I arrive. Sara :-)

Simpers
12-20-2018, 14:24
I have never been to the AT or indeed been in bear country so I thought I would hang it. What's your thoughts on this? Any advice welcome. Much appreciated, Sara

fastfoxengineering
12-20-2018, 15:50
I have never been to the AT or indeed been in bear country so I thought I would hang it. What's your thoughts on this? Any advice welcome. Much appreciated, Sara

This is one of the touchiest subjects in the backpacking world. It's a lot like politics, people on both ends of the extremes and a few sane people in the middle.

Here's is what you'll encounter on the AT.

For LOTS of the trail, when around designated camp sites, there will be bear lockers, cables, and poles at your disposal. So if you camp at these designated spots or shelters, it is highly advisable to use these resources. In fact, it's required in some areas. In order to use the cables or poles, you need a bag you can hang. Something like the Zpacks food bag. When camped away from these spots, it is advised that you hang your food properly. You'll need some bear line. However, your going to find it is a pain in the butt to find good tress to hang your food PROPERLY. And a crappy bear hang is pointless. Lots of people hang their food because of the "mini bears" and don't worry about real bears. Which in reality, is more of a concern. Squirrels, mice, porcupines, racoons are your biggest concern. But a bear is certainly the most intimidating.

However, the reality of it is... after seeing thousands of every kind of hiker on the AT, the majority of them sleep with their food. Some are careless about it and are just taking the risk, while others take preventative measures to ensure safety of wildlife, themselves, and their food. If your going to sleep with your food, I HIGHLY recommend taking an approach to odor proof it.

Andrew Skurka explains it very well.

https://andrewskurka.com/2011/food-protection-techniques-in-bear-country/

Many hikers just use whatever food bag they bought and sleep with their food. Imo, this is a bad approach. If your going to sleep with your food. Take measures to odor proof it.

It really just comes down to whether or not your going to hang your food. If you think your going to be one of the hikers that actually takes the time to hang their food every night, then any dry bag type food sack will do.

If your going to sleep with it, at least be smart about it and take greater preventative measures to protect the wildlife.

In order to have the best of both worlds... Mountain Laurel Designs food bag kit is pretty ideal. A nice DCF dry bag for hanging, and an OPsak to line it. Best of both worlds at a price of pack weight.

These also get good reviews...to line the inside of a Zpacks Food bag per say.

https://www.amazon.com/BaseCamp-F232335-Basecamp-Odor-Barrier-Assorted/dp/B00GHH5GK4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1545335056&sr=8-9&keywords=odor+proof+bags

You have the mentality of every new hiker. "I thought I would hang it" ... if you get tired of doing so and decide your gonna cozy up with it as many, many hikers do. Then its best to educate yourself a little and maybe pick up some Odor Proof Bags while your out there and practice Skurka's techniques.

Fun Fact. I slept with my food once on the entire AT. I was sleeping on a patch at elevation. Never had any problems with animals.

LazyLightning
12-20-2018, 17:30
I mentioned this in other threads but I will here to, the only reason I stopped hanging my food in Maine is because of the flying squirrels... in my experience along the trail, the only time I couldn't make a hang work that I was satisfied with was at high elevations with low/dense pine and other alpine trees. It could be a pain sometimes and require getting creative or going more then 100 feet from camp to find a hang. You may have to look further then that perfect branch you can see from your camp site. There are some really bad hangs along the AT and a lot right next to peoples tents.

When I stopped hanging my food I would put my food bag inside of a waterproof stuff sack, put that in a bigger waterproof stuff sack, wrap it in my contractor bag and then close it all up in my pack which was next to me in my tent. I did not feel good about this but I had no $ or means left to get a bear canister at that point of the trail. There were stretches I would have been screwed if I lost my food and I wasn't giving those damn flying squirrels one more chance at it.

I wont go on another backpacking trip without a bear canister but most people will laugh at the idea. No hang hassle, no worry about any rodents (or bears) and a piece of mind not having food next to you. I just can't completely trust the odorproffness of those bags and then feel fine with it next to me at night.

Slo-go'en
12-20-2018, 18:12
One day I got lazy and didn't hang my food. Heck, it was raining. I put my food bag outside the tent, under the vestible and sure enough, a mouse found it and did some damage. If I had it in my tent, I'd probably have a hole in both my tent and my food bag.

Simpers
12-21-2018, 16:02
Perfect. Will check out that link now and peruse this info. I need to research bags that will be delivered in UK as it cost so much to get my zpacks gear delivered due to tax and customs charges. Thank you !

Simpers
12-21-2018, 17:01
Yes i see what you mean. It's my lack of experience with bear country that makes me worry about bears/rhodents. I know my bear bag hanging skills will not be sufficient, yet I feel nervous about sleeping with my food. I think I'll use provided cables in Georgia and attempt to odour proof my food bag as best I can and sleep with it where none are available. And if that doesn't work out, stop at the nearest outfitter on trail.

fastfoxengineering
12-21-2018, 17:35
Yes i see what you mean. It's my lack of experience with bear country that makes me worry about bears/rhodents. I know my bear bag hanging skills will not be sufficient, yet I feel nervous about sleeping with my food. I think I'll use provided cables in Georgia and attempt to odour proof my food bag as best I can and sleep with it where none are available. And if that doesn't work out, stop at the nearest outfitter on trail.Yeah I was just trying to get you reading about food protection.

Theres more to it than just hangin your food in a sack. Glad you learned something

Slugg
12-21-2018, 19:11
One cool reason to hike the approach trail, is that you can say that you hiked from the Piedmont geographical region into the Blue Ridge geographical region to begin your hike.