PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail

Quik
12-18-2018, 09:20
I did a quick search and didn't find much on WB for the FHT, lots of info on the FHT website and I picked up a map at REI yesterday.

From reading it sounds like an easy trail, 76-miles end-to-end. My buddy and I are leaving Sunday, parking at Oconee SP and shuttling to Tablerock SP. Other than downed trees from the winter storm earlier this month it all sounds good, downed trees aren't a problem and maybe carry a little extra water over Sassafrass Mtn, that appears to be the longest section without water

Is the loop around to Ellicott Rock worth taking?

https://foothillstrail.org/trail-conditions/

Traffic Jam
12-18-2018, 10:22
There’s lots of info here on the FHT. Do a google search instead of WB search and you’ll find links to WB threads. Also, Dogwood is a good resource.

Im headed there in early January, let me know how it goes. I’m only doing half.

scope
12-18-2018, 14:46
Ha! All up and down, but different from AT up and down. Some long easy stretches. Some straight up and downs, mostly with stairs. I started at Burrells Ford and took the Chatooga trail to the Fork Mt trail and hooked up with the FHT at Hwy 107 Sloan Bridge and finished at Hwy 178 Laurel Valley. So I missed some easy hiking at first and some of the toughest hiking at the end. Took 4 nights for me (short days on the ends). Lots of bridges, both large and foot bridges, along with many steps, which you don't get a lot of on the AT. Also unlike the AT, there aren't flat tent campsites everywhere as there are larger sites where you're supposed to camp. Kind of makes logistics a bit harder. Its a much better trail for hammocks, which is what I did.

I didn't find Ellicott Rock to be worth it much. The Fork Mt. trail intersects very close to there and there are some great campsites south of there as you get to and around where E.Fork comes into the Chatooga. You can also take the dirt road down to the Fish Hatchery and from there take the E.Fork trail to the Chatooga trail that intersects at a large camp area - nicer "beach" site about a half mile further down. From there to Burrells Ford is easy hiking as is the rest of it to Oconee SP I believe.

Dogwood
12-18-2018, 17:15
Scope added pertinent info. Scope nailed it.

The FHT is easy in most ways. Looking at the elev profile it's more gradual starting out at O SP compared to starting at Table Rock SP.

It's a well watered trail all yr round. The FHT is known for its waterfalls.

If you like history and added exploration finding Ellicott Rock can be desirable. Even though Elllicott Rock is no longer the exact spot where GA, SC, and NC all meet it might offer some appeal sayin' you stood in all three states at once. Be prepared to get wet to do so.

As Scope stated FHT has acceptable alternates. One is following the Chattooga River Tr further north to the Fork Mt Tr reconnecting with the FHT at Sloan Bridge. Personally, I like mixing scenery taking alternates and hiking and camping along a tumbling scenic river like the Chattooga on some FHT hikes. The FHT is largely a forest hike. It is fine for hanging but also camping although you're not going to find the plethora of regularly spaced beaten down CS's as one will on the AT.

The FHT is actually a named segment of a larger interconnected trail system that far surpasses 76 miles.

There have been several detailed FHT threads on WB. Also at REI are sold the FHT Guidebooks acceptable for on trail use but not WP unless it's changed. Sales of the FHT Guidebooks and FHT map support the trail something we all desire to participate as members of the hiking community. The Guidebooks offer significant details on spurs, mileage, water sources, CS's, bridges, TH access locations, alternates, etc.

Personally, even though based in N GA I immensely enjoy times backpacking in upstate SC where it borders NC. There's a lot of history, diversity, people are nice, hikes can still offer uncrowded solitude, and the FHT isn't the only show in the area.

Dogwood
12-18-2018, 17:23
BTW, "thru hiking" the FHT in winter is certainly doable. I usually get to thru the FHT or an extended FHT in the mix trip in Dec-Feb. One thing to note is there are thickly vegetated low elev CS's next to streams or rivers or in forests where the colder air settles. In winter I try to avoid sleeping in those places.

Quik
12-18-2018, 22:23
Scope and Dogwood thanks for the info. We can wait until we get to the trail junction cutting off to Ellicott Rock before deciding on hiking that direction or continuing on the main FHT. We also know starting out from TRSP will have a decent climb shortly into the hike nothing technical or too difficult and finishing at OSP will be a much flatter finish.

Neither of us ever camp next to water no matter what the season is. We use tarp shelters and much prefer finding a small flat spot at a slightly higher elevation to avoid dampness.

I looked at the trail guide while at REI, didn't really care for the way is was done and the map I have is the same one the FHT sells on the website.

saltysack
12-19-2018, 00:00
Scope and Dogwood thanks for the info. We can wait until we get to the trail junction cutting off to Ellicott Rock before deciding on hiking that direction or continuing on the main FHT. We also know starting out from TRSP will have a decent climb shortly into the hike nothing technical or too difficult and finishing at OSP will be a much flatter finish.

Neither of us ever camp next to water no matter what the season is. We use tarp shelters and much prefer finding a small flat spot at a slightly higher elevation to avoid dampness.

I looked at the trail guide while at REI, didn't really care for the way is was done and the map I have is the same one the FHT sells on the website.

Great trail...winter should be perfect as did late March and had ideal temps etc..fun 3.5 day hike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quik
12-19-2018, 08:34
Great trail...winter should be perfect as did late March and had ideal temps etc..fun 3.5 day hike...

3.5 days is what I estimated, maybe a full 4 days with shorter daylight hours, we're both up and hiking as soon as we can see where our feet are without headlamps, and there is no need to hike after dark when there's no deadline.

saltysack
12-19-2018, 09:09
3.5 days is what I estimated, maybe a full 4 days with shorter daylight hours, we're both up and hiking as soon as we can see where our feet are without headlamps, and there is no need to hike after dark when there's no deadline.

I started late around 4 the first day and night hiked to the BF campground where I had it to myself, finished mid day on fourth day. I found very well graded except for the stairs....they were kind of tedious...enjoy

Coffee
12-25-2018, 19:55
It's a beautiful trail. I thru hiked from Oconee to Table Rock in February 2015. I had to cancel a return trip this year but would like to do it again, this time adding Cesar's head state park. I found it easy to do in four days despite the short days. I saw very few hikers and had lots of solitude. It is one of the best maintained trails I've hiked and has a great trail association with shuttles available from nice and helpful people. I'd seriously consider this area for eventual retirement if I opt for the east but I probably love the Sierra Nevada too much to retire in the east.

cneill13
12-26-2018, 09:46
FHT is one of my favorite hiking trails. There are some easier parts but don't be fooled because there are other sections that will test even the most seasoned hiker.

The one thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to finish it in 3 or 4 days. I realize the hike your own hike mantra but this is a trail to be savored, like a fine wine. To rush through it just to finish seems like such a waste.

Don't forget to visit every waterfall possible. You will not be disappointed.

cneill13
12-26-2018, 09:49
I forgot to add, if you need an expert and highly reliable shuttle for the FHT, give Jim Simpson a call at 864-431-0447.

Coffee
12-26-2018, 11:18
Jim provided my shuttle. Great guy and knew all about the trail and surrounding area.

Five Tango
12-26-2018, 11:22
I forgot to add, if you need an expert and highly reliable shuttle for the FHT, give Jim Simpson a call at 864-431-0447.

Thanks for the info.I've only done an overnighter on the FHT but will definitely be going back.

FreeGoldRush
12-26-2018, 14:35
The one thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to finish it in 3 or 4 days. I realize the hike your own hike mantra but this is a trail to be savored, like a fine wine. To rush through it just to finish seems like such a waste.
Hike it faster if you want to test your fitness level and do a realistic AT thru hike shakedown. Hike it slow if fitness level isn't a concern. I'm considering doing this trail in 4 days just to say I did. But slower hikes are nice too.

Quik
12-26-2018, 21:26
We finished in 3-days the last 2-miles in the dark under a bright moon. It's an easy trail all the way with lots of water and waterfalls. We saw 2-bears, 7-deer, several wild turkeys and a really fat raccoon came through camp Sunday night, it thought about joining Tom under his tarp, that thought lasted about 2-seconds.

FHT is one of my favorite hiking trails. There are some easier parts but don't be fooled because there are other sections that will test even the most seasoned hiker.

Don't forget to visit every waterfall possible. You will not be disappointed.

Why do you think we rushed? We didn't, we're both in great shape, we're up and packed before sunrise, hike until dark, set camp, eat, sleep, repeat. It's what we enjoy and we do it because we can, and we're both older than you are.

Hike it faster if you want to test your fitness level and do a realistic AT thru hike shakedown. Hike it slow if fitness level isn't a concern. I'm considering doing this trail in 4 days just to say I did. But slower hikes are nice too.

Do it!

Traffic Jam
12-26-2018, 21:33
We finished in 3-days the last 2-miles in the dark under a bright moon. It's an easy trail all the way with lots of water and waterfalls. We saw 2-bears, 7-deer, several wild turkeys and a really fat raccoon came through camp Sunday night, it thought about joining Tom under his tarp, that thought lasted about 2-seconds.

Why do you think we rushed? We didn't, we're both in great shape, we're up and packed before sunrise, hike until dark, set camp, eat, sleep, repeat. It's what we enjoy and we do it because we can, and we're both older than you are.

Do it!

Nice! I can’t wait. What campsites did you stay at?

Dogwood
12-26-2018, 21:51
TJ, did you get the email I sent about the Jan 5 FHT trail maintenance on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment?

Traffic Jam
12-26-2018, 22:42
TJ, did you get the email I sent about the Jan 5 FHT trail maintenance on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment?

I don’t think so, but thanks for letting me know. :)

Dogwood
12-26-2018, 22:48
TJ, make some mailbox space. I'll resend it.

Traffic Jam
12-26-2018, 23:07
TJ, make some mailbox space. I'll resend it.

Ok, done ...

saltysack
12-27-2018, 14:37

Do it!

I agree...I normally go solo and prefer to hike not camp...maybe it’s my adhd kicking in....also enjoy night hiking as well. Great trail, I also saw a bear on fht in the Chattooga River...

Quik
12-27-2018, 16:58
Nice! I can’t wait. What campsites did you stay at?

We started at Table Rock camped the first night 2-3 miles west of Laurel Valley, second night near Bad Creek

blw2
12-27-2018, 23:21
....The one thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to finish it in 3 or 4 days. I realize the hike your own hike mantra but this is a trail to be savored, like a fine wine. To rush through it just to finish seems like such a waste.

only a guess...and I certainly don't know if this is true for anyone else...but I think it might have something to do with available time....weekend warriors with limited vacation time, family demands, etc... That's my deal anyway. I haven't hiked it but I have been trying to figure out when I can go try at least some of it. The trail seems like a great option for me... the closest trail I know of to me that has some terrain, waterfalls, etc...
And between limited vacation and a constant pull for any free time I have to be spent with the family, I figure about the most I'll be able to pull off is a 4 day weekend...with the better part of two of those days travelling back and forth.

Mr. Bumpy
12-27-2018, 23:58
Do it!

Hey there. 3 days is fast time for this time of year, and I think it is fast time for any time of year. I like to do it as a five night trip with short hiking days on the first and last days.

I'm wondering how the blow downs were in general and if you did the Fork Mt spur (if you did was that trail clear)? I'll be out there starting 1/7 or 8 doing the FHT for the second time.

Dogwood
12-28-2018, 02:00
The FHTC will be on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment removing brush and blow downs on Jan 5. We could use assistance. Show up at Sloan Bridge at 9 a.m.

I haven't done the Fork Mt Tr in the last 24 months. In the past there were a few blowdowns that were left and easy to step over.

Coffee
12-28-2018, 11:09
Like others have said, it is not a difficult trail overall, so you can hike a lot of miles if so inclined. I personally prefer to spend a lot of time on the trail and my pace is reasonably fast so I naturally will hike 20 miles per day or more if daylight allows. On my hike, daylight was the main limiting factor and I didn't have a need to hike at night given that I had four days to do the hike.

Quik
12-28-2018, 20:51
Like others have said, it is not a difficult trail overall, so you can hike a lot of miles if so inclined. I personally prefer to spend a lot of time on the trail and my pace is reasonably fast so I naturally will hike 20 miles per day or more if daylight allows. On my hike, daylight was the main limiting factor and I didn't have a need to hike at night given that I had four days to do the hike.

Coffee- I'm with you on 4-days, this is probably average for the FHT, I too average 20-per day on other trails. We originally planned for 3.5 then on the second night decided to push on through just to see if we could. We almost camped by the river but ate dinner and hiked on. And there's something special about hiking under a bright moon.

Traffic Jam
12-31-2018, 06:13
Any reports of flooding or flash flood warnings along the trail? Thanks.

THEDON
12-31-2018, 09:57
Thinking of doing may 1st. T shirts and shorts? or would you need something warmer? Other option is GA section of the AT, but same clothing question. Thanks

FreeGoldRush
12-31-2018, 11:35
Would like to do this trail as my first solo and also an AT shakedown hike. I enjoy 15 to 20 mile days. Is it reasonable to hike until near dark and then find a place to camp? I'll be hammocking. Also would like to do during nice weather in mid/late February or early March, so daylight will be short. This makes hitting the designated campsites a bit more difficult. However, the designated camping areas look inviting.

scope
12-31-2018, 18:58
Thinking of doing may 1st. T shirts and shorts? or would you need something warmer? Other option is GA section of the AT, but same clothing question. Thanks

Neither for that wardrobe that early. Each is possible, but also probable that you need much more at night.

scope
12-31-2018, 19:00
Would like to do this trail as my first solo and also an AT shakedown hike. I enjoy 15 to 20 mile days. Is it reasonable to hike until near dark and then find a place to camp? I'll be hammocking. Also would like to do during nice weather in mid/late February or early March, so daylight will be short. This makes hitting the designated campsites a bit more difficult. However, the designated camping areas look inviting.

Yes, I did that with hammock, stayed at sites 2 nights, and where I stopped hiking 2 nights that were not tent sites.

Dogwood
12-31-2018, 22:22
Any reports of flooding or flash flood warnings along the trail? Thanks.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5188436

https://www.google.com/search?q=sc+usfs&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=33937681,-81838889,58727&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwi12cjawsvfAhXGVN8KHY6PCFwQtgN6BAgEEAQ&tbs=lrf:!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rldoc=1&rlfi=hd:;si:15740662022160793006,l,CgdzYyB1c2ZzIgO IAQFaBgoEdXNmcw;mv:!1m2!1d35.39429934245891!2d-81.59874653193117!2m2!1d34.49715066138133!2d-83.61473774286867!4m2!1d34.94695210613498!2d-82.60674213739992!5i10

Dogwood
12-31-2018, 22:58
Ask about Bearcamp Crk area(the trail along the old FS logging road and the road floods to ankle deep, walk the partial gravel road, it's usually boggy in this area anyway as it's temperate rain forest), Horsepasture River, Chattooga River, and Whitewater River. I've seen the Horsepasture and Whitewater overflow their banks affecting the FHT where the trail skirts Lake Jocassasee as it goes over Rock Cr and at the FHT steel bridge that crosses Whitewater and in the bottomlands NO Camping Zone along the Whitewater. The FHT can be prone to boggy travel where it gets close to the shore of the Chattooga at the lowest elevations. Going to be muddy on some segments but that can be the character of high rainfall areas. If you can safely get to experience these rivers and the FHT waterfalls during high flow with the waterfalls pumping at their max I'd do it. To me it's similar to hiking the Hoh rain Forest during the rainy season. Be ready for wet weather and some mush. You'll see things most dont in person. Nature in it's raw powerful state. Remember this is on or near the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Obviously, water flows down off the BRE creating these gorges with rivers.

Traffic Jam
01-01-2019, 10:03
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5188436

https://www.google.com/search?q=sc+usfs&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=33937681,-81838889,58727&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwi12cjawsvfAhXGVN8KHY6PCFwQtgN6BAgEEAQ&tbs=lrf:!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rldoc=1&rlfi=hd:;si:15740662022160793006,l,CgdzYyB1c2ZzIgO IAQFaBgoEdXNmcw;mv:!1m2!1d35.39429934245891!2d-81.59874653193117!2m2!1d34.49715066138133!2d-83.61473774286867!4m2!1d34.94695210613498!2d-82.60674213739992!5i10

The .gov site isn’t being updated d/t shutdown.

I found warnings related to chatooga river but wasn’t certain where in relation to FHT. Called OSP yesterday and they had nothing pertinent to say.

Found a water table chart that showed the river peaked on the 28th then receded. My main concern is camping in a low area and the river rising during the night.

Traffic Jam
01-01-2019, 10:09
Ask about Bearcamp Crk area(the trail along the old FS logging road and the road floods to ankle deep, walk the partial gravel road, it's usually boggy in this area anyway as it's temperate rain forest), Horsepasture River, Chattooga River, and Whitewater River. I've seen the Horsepasture and Whitewater overflow their banks affecting the FHT where the trail skirts Lake Jocassasee as it goes over Rock Cr and at the FHT steel bridge that crosses Whitewater and in the bottomlands NO Camping Zone along the Whitewater. The FHT can be prone to boggy travel where it gets close to the shore of the Chattooga at the lowest elevations. Going to be muddy on some segments but that can be the character of high rainfall areas. If you can safely get to experience these rivers and the FHT waterfalls during high flow with the waterfalls pumping at their max I'd do it. To me it's similar to hiking the Hoh rain Forest during the rainy season. Be ready for wet weather and some mush. You'll see things most dont in person. Nature in it's raw powerful state. Remember this is on or near the Blue Ridge Escarpment. Obviously, water flows down off the BRE creating these gorges with rivers.
Thank you!

Can you describe the stream crossings on the Canebrake to Bad Creek section?

scope
01-01-2019, 12:16
Thank you!

All bridges, even the small streams

Dogwood
01-01-2019, 12:44
Thank you!

I'm away, on Hilton Head about to go for a beach hike and then swim with the dolphins. Happy New year. Celebrated last night at 12:30 a.m. by frolicking in the ocean with about 30 other crazies. Great times.

Skyline
01-01-2019, 13:25
The Foothills Trail Conference was very helpful to me and at least two friends who have hiked all or part of it. Good maps and guidebook, too.

I parked and started at Sassafras Mt. in 2005. Made it to about Whitewater Falls. Took a break, restarted and finished at Oconee; got a ride with other hikers I met on-trail to Table Rock, camped at a campground that night, then finished back at Sassafras.

Sassafras has undergone some major changes since then, and is busier now with dayhikers and tourists but still part of the trail.

I think the FHT is very easy in places, but not everywhere. In areas where switchbacking would have made it easier (and longer), the trail builders seem to have preferred steep wooden steps -- some of which never seem to end. There is also some brief incidental bouldering in a few places. (But doable. Not as difficult as Mahoosuc Notch or other places in NH or ME.)

There are no AT-style shelters, but there are ample rustic backcountry campsites. If you've hiked the AT and depended on shelters, you may need to develop some new skills on the FHT.

A huge fire in 2017 destroyed a lot of wooden steps and decking in the Whitewater Falls area. I'm happy to report that a friend who thru-hiked the FHT in November 2018 reported that has all been repaired or replaced. Whitewater Falls is the scenic gem of the FHT (there are plenty of others, too, but you may not encounter those every day you're thru-hiking).

If you'd rather dayhike or section hike the FHT, there are ample places to get on or off the trail. Some days will be necessarily longer than others.

Pondjumpr
01-02-2019, 17:34
I have done all but two sections of the FHT. Both times I have done multi-day hikes, I/we started on Friday afternoon and hiked until Sunday. 24 miles the first time and just over 30 the second. One thing I would mention is that there are several marked campsites on the trail map but although they looked very remote on the map, there are parking areas or fire service roads with fairly easy access to those other than backpackers. We ended up hiking several extra unplanned miles both Friday nights because the camp sites we planned to stop at were crowded with people who drove in (nearby) or boated in and set up for the weekend. There are also not a ton of suitable campsites for more than one tent for much of the trail. The ones that are suitable are very large and have great water access but they never seemed to work out with our planned pace.
As mentioned, the Jocassee Gorges area (NC) has several sections with stairs, one of which is 300 makeshift stairs. It is a beautiful trail and one I plan to complete this Spring.

Traffic Jam
03-19-2019, 18:26
The FHTC will be on the Sloan Bridge - Fish Hatchery Rd segment removing brush and blow downs on Jan 5. We could use assistance. Show up at Sloan Bridge at 9 a.m.

I haven't done the Fork Mt Tr in the last 24 months. In the past there were a few blowdowns that were left and easy to step over.

Does anyone know if the Sloan bridge-Fish Hatchery section got cleaned up? If I recall, the weather was bad on the weekend of Jan 5.

(I found this section to be in pretty bad shape and had a bum knee so couldn’t crawl under the blowdowns and had to turn back. Oh yeah...I also stepped in human excrement behind the restroom. Not my most favorite trip but hope to make it up in a few weeks.)

devoidapop
03-19-2019, 20:28
Does anyone know if the Sloan bridge-Fish Hatchery section got cleaned up? If I recall, the weather was bad on the weekend of Jan 5.

I did Oconee to Burrel's Ford on Saturday. Lots of freshly chainsawed blowdowns in that section. Only had to belly crawl under one. Unfortunately, my hiking partner got injured and we did not continue, so not sure about the next section. One of the shuttle drivers told me he heard about blowdowns in the Toxaway area but was uncertain about whether or not they had been cleared. Chatooga River was running big and beautiful.

FreeGoldRush
03-19-2019, 20:48
It did. I hiked the trail end-to-end during 4 days at the end of February (Oconee to Table Rock). Many areas had tons of cleaned up blow downs. Excellent trail maintenance out there. There are still a number of significant blown downs all along the trail. Too many to recall. Nothing presented a serious problem; just took a little patience. One short section at the Chattogga River was under water.

By the way, this trail easily compares to the southern AT in terms of difficulty. It has plenty of gentle sections, but the ups and downs are steep with few switchbacks. Thousands of slippery steps. As soon as you get into a good pace and start doing good mileage you are presented with another brutal incline that slows you to a crawl. It's a beautiful trail with hardly any traffic. I saw only two other backpackers in 4 days.

Highly recommend this trail.

Dogwood
03-20-2019, 00:16
Never know what you might experience behind restrooms. Best to not get close. The pic tables and day spot down behind them is nice though next to the steam for a shady spot for a stop.

Yes it got cleaned up. The FHT conference did a clean up. It might need more if ice or snow or a storm still hits which isn't outta the question. If you start at the Hatchery Rd Th hiking towards O NP good to go. If injured the last 20 around O NP is some of the fattest and cleanest. I'm going out to end to end starting in Mt Bridge Wilderness next wk so ask after I'll give ya a latest. :)

Traffic Jam
03-20-2019, 16:44
Never know what you might experience behind restrooms. Best to not get close. The pic tables and day spot down behind them is nice though next to the steam for a shady spot for a stop.

Yes it got cleaned up. The FHT conference did a clean up. It might need more if ice or snow or a storm still hits which isn't outta the question. If you start at the Hatchery Rd Th hiking towards O NP good to go. If injured the last 20 around O NP is some of the fattest and cleanest. I'm going out to end to end starting in Mt Bridge Wilderness next wk so ask after I'll give ya a latest. :)

It wasn’t literally behind the bathroom but on the trail behind the bathroom area, next to the stream and more than one pile. This was during govt shut down. Pissed me off.

No current injuries. Had a hard fall before that hike but now healed.

I just might see you out there...might even beat you to the finish. :)

Traffic Jam
03-20-2019, 16:44
Thanks everyone for the info.

FreeGoldRush
03-20-2019, 21:46
..might even beat you to the finish. :)
Is there an FKT or something like that for this trail?

Dogwood
03-21-2019, 01:08
https://fastestknowntime.com/route/foothills-trail-nc-sc

Dogwood
03-21-2019, 01:17
Figured Mat Kirk was in the books. He did a sub 17 hr in 05. Current FKT is sub 15 hrs set in 2012. Something like a 5.35 MPG avg?

Let me know if you're serious about attempting the FKT and I can help in any way?

Traffic Jam
04-01-2019, 16:16
It wasn’t literally behind the bathroom but on the trail behind the bathroom area, next to the stream and more than one pile. This was during govt shut down. Pissed me off.

No current injuries. Had a hard fall before that hike but now healed.

I just might see you out there...might even beat you to the finish. :)
Had a great hike from Sloan Bridge to OSP. Camped at Burrells Ford and was glad I didn’t go further on the first day as most cs’s along the river were taken. Hiked on to OSP the next day. I’m not used to hiking on weekends and was surprised at the amount of hikers and fishermen that were out. Beautiful weather and awesome trail.

Highly recommend Jim the shuttle driver.

Dogwood, did you do your planned hike?

Dogwood
04-01-2019, 17:02
Got back yesterday afternoon. Started in Jones Gap SP took the pinnacle pass, nature land trust to caesars head spur.called it since PT was debilitating. Damn last two pr of trail runners and my too quick embrace of zero drop screwed my feet up going on 6 months.

Dogwood
04-01-2019, 17:13
Weather was gorgeous and the trails taken were largely void of people.

Taking the fork alternates can provide for diversity of scenery and fewer folks. Area around Burrells is usually busy on breaking warm spring weather days.

The 10 or so miles around oconee are some of my least fav if staying on the FHT. The best parts are the O Belles in bloom, CCC built structures in O SP, and the shower and ice cream at the camp store.

How about you? What did you enjoy?

Traffic Jam
04-01-2019, 17:55
Meal
Weather was gorgeous and the trails taken were largely void of people.

Taking the fork alternates can provide for diversity of scenery and fewer folks. Area around Burrells is usually busy on breaking warm spring weather days.

The 10 or so miles around oconee are some of my least fav if staying on the FHT. The best parts are the O Belles in bloom, CCC built structures in O SP, and the shower and ice cream at the camp store.

How about you? What did you enjoy?

I really enjoyed my birthday meal by the river...best one ever. I loved seeing all the little kids at Burrells Ford out camping with their parents. Loved the scenery and waterfalls and really appreciated that there weren’t any miles-long, 3000’ climbs.

Traffic Jam
04-01-2019, 18:13
...but I prefer more solitude and will definitely explore the side trails once I’m finished with the FHT.

(didn’t mean to post the photo of the flowers, can’t ever figure out how to do photos on WB. I thought they were O Belles but a quick google makes me think they’re not...I’m not good with plant ID)

OwenM
04-03-2019, 00:46
Crap, I'm kinda jealous. Was thinking of doing the FHT last month, but the weather was sucking. Ended up taking two 4 day "weekends"(off days midweek) and roaming around the Cumberland Plateau. Still want to do it, but not after the trail traffic picks up.

Traffic Jam
04-03-2019, 12:06
Crap, I'm kinda jealous. Was thinking of doing the FHT last month, but the weather was sucking. Ended up taking two 4 day "weekends"(off days midweek) and roaming around the Cumberland Plateau. Still want to do it, but not after the trail traffic picks up.

This is a trail that makes me want to linger at waterfalls and take long breaks on river beaches. It’s a lot more fun to do that in good weather.

Where on the Cumberland plateau do you hike?

OwenM
04-03-2019, 16:33
Where on the Cumberland plateau do you hike?
Oh, now you've started something.
Everywhere, and I recommend it ALL!:D
Not joking. I'm in Alabama, but Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard only take about 1.5hr longer to get to than Cheaha and the Pinhoti, so I actually hike more in TN than AL. In late fall through early spring, I'm up there midweek about 3x per month, and have places almost completely to myself.
Virgin Falls is a favorite, too, and Scotts Gulf/Bridgestone-Firestone Centennial Wilderness is right across the street. I take some vacation time every December to spend a week around Big South Fork, with Pickett State Park and Pogue Creek Canyon SNA right there on the east side, and Daniel Boone NF just north. The past few months I've been combining an overnighter or two at a time with quick visits to places that don't have much mileage, just to see more waterfalls(LOVE waterfalls). Frozen Head, Laurel-Snow, Fall Creek Falls, stops at Ozone Falls, Piney Falls SNA, Burgess Falls, Rock Island, stuff like that. I love the terrain, and the hiking in the whole area from the AL/TN line up into KY is just glorious. I'd be up there screwing around right now, except for covering 3 extra shifts while a guy's on vacation this week.

But I've seen most of that many times over, and have only briefly hiked on parts of the FHT, like at Table Rock SP and around Whitewater Falls, so I want to do all that. I like a lot of places in SC/NC, but only get up there once every couple of years, since it's quite a drive and I have to save vacation time for trips out West.

Traffic Jam
04-03-2019, 17:29
Oh, now you've started something.
Everywhere, and I recommend it ALL!:D
Not joking. I'm in Alabama, but Savage Gulf and Fiery Gizzard only take about 1.5hr longer to get to than Cheaha and the Pinhoti, so I actually hike more in TN than AL. In late fall through early spring, I'm up there midweek about 3x per month, and have places almost completely to myself.
Virgin Falls is a favorite, too, and Scotts Gulf/Bridgestone-Firestone Centennial Wilderness is right across the street. I take some vacation time every December to spend a week around Big South Fork, with Pickett State Park and Pogue Creek Canyon SNA right there on the east side, and Daniel Boone NF just north. The past few months I've been combining an overnighter or two at a time with quick visits to places that don't have much mileage, just to see more waterfalls(LOVE waterfalls). Frozen Head, Laurel-Snow, Fall Creek Falls, stops at Ozone Falls, Piney Falls SNA, Burgess Falls, Rock Island, stuff like that. I love the terrain, and the hiking in the whole area from the AL/TN line up into KY is just glorious. I'd be up there screwing around right now, except for covering 3 extra shifts while a guy's on vacation this week.

But I've seen most of that many times over, and have only briefly hiked on parts of the FHT, like at Table Rock SP and around Whitewater Falls, so I want to do all that. I like a lot of places in SC/NC, but only get up there once every couple of years, since it's quite a drive and I have to save vacation time for trips out West.

Awesome! I know who to go to with questions. Piney River is at the top of my list for upcoming hikes.

So you’ve been hiking the Cumberland Trail? I’m going to hike a few more sections then no more, at least not until there’s better maintenance and support for hikers. I’ve become very frustrated with the CT.

Have you hiked at Obed Wild and Scenic River?

BILLK
04-03-2019, 17:32
I enjoyed the "eastatoe narrows spur off the Foothills Trail, easy logging road most of the hike then sharp drop down to narrows / falls. The ferns that line the walls only grow there and Jamaica
in North America.

Dogwood
04-04-2019, 00:14
I enjoyed the "eastatoe narrows spur off the Foothills Trail, easy logging road most of the hike then sharp drop down to narrows / falls. The ferns that line the walls only grow there and Jamaica
in North America.

Are coming off the FHT or doing it coming down the abandoned logging road on the east side south of Rocky Bottom off 178? PM me if you're coming from 178.

OwenM
04-04-2019, 01:55
Awesome! I know who to go to with questions. Piney River is at the top of my list for upcoming hikes.

So you’ve been hiking the Cumberland Trail? I’m going to hike a few more sections then no more, at least not until there’s better maintenance and support for hikers. I’ve become very frustrated with the CT.

Have you hiked at Obed Wild and Scenic River?
No and no on those.
Several places I named fall on the Cumberland Trail route, but last I checked it was not complete and had a lot of gaps.
I read about Obed, but think there was just a short hike up to a point, and maybe something along the river for a ways(?), so kind of dismissed it.
I haven't been keeping up, though. Said I was up there all the time, but wasn't thinking. Until a CO trip last fall got me fired up about backpacking again, I'd mostly been mountain biking the last couple years(even skipped Big South Fork winter before last), and have just gotten back to my "normal" hiking habits of the previous 6yrs or so since then.