PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Reservations for Baxter State Park

rickb
02-22-2006, 12:28
Just wondering if you SOBOs are having any trouble getting reservations for a campsite (which also insures access at the gate) under the 4-month rolling reservation system?

I imagine the spaces will start filling up rather fast since school vacations start about 4 months from today.

hammock engineer
02-22-2006, 13:17
Other than the enterance at the gate, is there any advantages between staying in town at the hotel vs staying at the campground? I am having my parents drop me off and was planning for 2 days at the hotel, my mom isn't a big camping fan.

If they will not let the car I am riding in at the gate, is hitching a ride with someone else, or walking feasible? My parents are not going to hike up Katahdin with me, just drop me off and pick me up later that day. Then drop me off the following day to start my hike.

I was thinking of starting mid week in order to miss a lot of the weekenders.

TJ aka Teej
02-22-2006, 15:21
"Advantages" No showers, restaurants, trash cans, soft beds at KSC. It doesn't rain inside a motel.
On a weekday, the lot might not fill up before 7AM. If you get there late, they'll let your parents drive in if the parking lot is full at KSC if you tell them you're just being dropped off. KSC is several miles from the gatehouse - you'll need a hitch. Probably not hard to get.
On day two, consider having the Taxi take you to KSC instead of your parents.

TJ aka Teej
02-22-2006, 20:18
Just wondering if you SOBOs are having any trouble getting reservations for a campsite (which also insures access at the gate) under the 4-month rolling reservation system?
BSP rolling reservation chart showing when you can get what:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/chart.htm

hammock engineer
02-22-2006, 22:47
Thanks for the info.

RITBlake
02-23-2006, 18:31
Hey Teej

I love the fact that BSP has no garbage cans, electicity etc. I think its amazing and it shouldn't change a bit. But don't you think there is an easier way to make your reservations? Does mailing in a reservation somehow weed out people who make reservations and then don't show up?

What's your opinion?

weary
02-23-2006, 19:48
Hey Teej

I love the fact that BSP has no garbage cans, electicity etc. I think its amazing and it shouldn't change a bit. But don't you think there is an easier way to make your reservations? Does mailing in a reservation somehow weed out people who make reservations and then don't show up?

What's your opinion?
TJ can answer for himself. But no reservation system can avoid such problems, I suspect. My solution is to abandon reservations. I would move the parking lots progressively further away making people walk to all the campgrounds. When willing walkers exceed the carrying capacity of the park, just move the parking area another mile or so further away.

Yeah. That poses a problem for old guys like me. But I'll struggle through some way. How about you TJ?

Weary

TJ aka Teej
02-23-2006, 19:56
Hey Teej

...don't you think there is an easier way to make your reservations? Does mailing in a reservation somehow weed out people who make reservations and then don't show up?

I think the shoeboxes, inkpads, and huge hardbound registers are quaint. They only put away the quills, arm bands, and green eyeshades just a few years ago :D If they could find a low cost, efficient system that would fit their model I'm sure they try a beta run, especially now that they've a new Director. The rolling res plan has helped open up the Park to people who weren't able to campout in January at HQ. The ten-day-by-phone-with-credit-card plan has helped them sell the held-in-reserve for Mainer spots. There's no reason for the Park to weed out the no-shows, they already have banked the fee and offer no refunds - they don't really care if no one uses the site. That's good for some of us - many times I've stayed late in the Park and copped a site that no one came to use. The Park gets a double fee when that happens!

TJ aka Teej
02-23-2006, 23:18
How about you TJ?
I'd stop cutting new trails, end the lumber operations, tear down the cabins, restore the early 70s AT route, and ban all hunting. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the Park.

DLANOIE
02-25-2006, 01:22
I went up to Millinocket on Jan. 17 and stood outside in line all night to get the sites I wanted for my SOBO hike this year. I only had a 20 % chance of getting exactly what site I wanted for when I wanted it. But there were only about 60 people there and I was like #10 in the line. I got what I was looking for and that was a great moment! Once I had those reservation papers I felt like it was actually going to happen! SOBO 2006:D

Man was it friggin' cold that night.

P.S. There is a quaint little bar there with a nice bartender. Cant recall her name or the name of the place, but a good place to warm up for a while:sun

Marta
02-25-2006, 08:58
I just sent off my request for a couple of days in early July. We'll see what happens. I have also made reservations at a motel in Millinocket for those same dates. So one way or another, I've got a place to stay. Now all I have to do is start hiking....

Marta
03-06-2006, 22:07
I won the lottery! I got the reservation confirmation today in the mail.