PDA

View Full Version : Spring Hike in GSMNP in the Spring

TSWisla
12-18-2018, 17:02
When should I go to avoid the "bubble"? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HooKooDooKu
12-18-2018, 17:25
It seems that as more and more thru hikers try to avoid the "bubble", the size (in dates) of the bubble continually grows.
I would estimate that the bulk of the current bubble would be March and April. But the bubble is restricted to the AT. So if you plan a GSMNP hike such that you don't camp at any of the AT shelters, the AT "bubble" won't affect you at all.

Otherwise, as a general comment, a spring hike in GSMNP is probably best between mid-April and mid-May. The trees will have leaves (so sunburn shouldn't be an issue) and the bulk of winter weather will be over yet the heat of summer will not yet have arrived.

TSWisla
12-18-2018, 17:30
I plan on hiking on the AT. The information that you provided is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

johnacraft
12-18-2018, 17:42
When should I go to avoid the "bubble"?

https://wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

If your goal is to avoid overcrowded shelters, the second half of May (after Trail Days and before summer vacations) might be a good window. Avoid the middle section (Icewater Springs to Double Spring) during the weekend.

Dogwood
12-18-2018, 17:49
April.

You can expect possibly being impacted by the AT NoBo bubble even if you plan on not staying at the AT GSMNP shelters. AT NoBo's in April impact resources and GSMNP beyond the immediate AT. The impact overflows to towns, hostels, hotels, small grocery stores/food outlets, TH's, etc. Stay away from the AT in GSMNP in April or limit incorporating the AT on your GSMNP April trip as it's largely an AT NoBo take over. GSMNP offers SO MUCH MORE than the AT!

TNhiker
12-18-2018, 17:59
GSMNP offers SO MUCH MORE than the AT!

what he said.....

so many other options to avoid something that quite honestly cannot be avoided during that time period....

in the spring on the AT in GSMNP----you will see hundreds of people on the trail......

thru hikers, section hikers, spring breakers, and just general hikers.......

another non AT route? that number decreases dramatically.....

MuddyWaters
12-18-2018, 21:45
Its not a bubble anymore
Its a 300 mile long smear

If you want to avoid it, your choice is late may/jube onward

JC13
12-19-2018, 09:19
Its not a bubble anymore
Its a 300 mile long smear

If you want to avoid it, your choice is late may/jube onwardWe went second week of July in 2017 and Mollies Ridge was still at capacity, doing 20 mile days got us ahead of it after that. It is a crap shoot as to when you can go through and it not be crowded.

peakbagger
12-19-2018, 09:59
The bubble doesn't have to be an issue in the smokies as you are not a thru hiker and need to call up and make reservations for the shelters you want on the nights you want. Thru hikers don't need to make reservations and if there is not enough room in the shelter than they get to camp out next to the shelter. That said I would guess mid May on would be the tail end of the bubble. Once you get into school vacation season then there is the summer vacation bubble.

full conditions
12-19-2018, 10:06
There's about a month-long window between the middle of May and mid June when its still relatively springlike but the bulk of the thru-hoard is gone and the summer vacation folks haven't arrived yet. In any case it's the Smokies and its just about always got more folks than I'd prefer - but this is the best spring window that I know of.