PDA

View Full Version : Lack of DWR finish important?

dla
02-22-2006, 12:30
I noticed that the Campmor down bags lack DWR finish. Appears that is true with the Kelty Light year and Slumberjack Baffin as well. It may just be a general truism for the "China" bags. How important is the DWR finish? Has anyone had a bad experience with their Campmor bag getting soggy?

Also, can you just spray your down bag with Campdry to get the same results as a factory DWR finish?

Sly
02-23-2006, 00:13
A DWR finish on a Campmor bag would probably double the cost. I've owned one for 6 years now and in 6,000 miles it's only got "soggy" once. It still kept me warm wearing my Frogg Togg rain gear.

I've applied a spray repellent and it seemed to work somewhat, but ideally good practice in wet condiditons and sun drying or airing your bag daily should suffice.

dla
02-23-2006, 01:58
So is the concern about lack of DWR misplaced? Somehow I know that campers survived without DWR years ago. But even synthetics have DWR nowadays. Only the China bags seem to lack this.

I want to pick up a couple of entry-level down bags and I noticed that none of them - not just Campmor - mentioned DWR.