PDA

View Full Version : NOC to Fontana Dam

VashFive
12-21-2018, 12:29
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on hiking from NOC to Fontana Dam in mid Jan.

I'm thinking it'll be cold and wet. Is this a bad idea? I'm good for cold weather gear and have hiked in cold wet conditions before (Eastern GSM in Feb). I've not done this section of the AT yet, and don't have much free time.

Am I overreaching? Looking for some beta on the trail during this time of year.

best,

- Vash.

TNhiker
12-21-2018, 12:41
it also could be mild and dry.....

but i would prepare for both......

Slo-go'en
12-21-2018, 13:31
Who knows with the way this winter is going so far. One day it's sub zero, the next it's in the 50's. You won't know for sure until a few days before the trip and even that can be iffy. You'll want a nice day to hike up that big hill coming out of NOC or you'll be hurting for sure.

FlyPaper
12-21-2018, 13:32
it also could be mild and dry.....

but i would prepare for both......

Since this is a 3-4 day hike, you'll have a fairly accurate weather report before you leave. Probably you're going to have a > 0% chance of rain, but packing can vary quite a bit between a 10% chance of rain and 100% chance of rain. With 10% chance of rain, perhaps just a cheap emergency poncho. With 100% chance of rain, invest in some good rain gear.

daddytwosticks
12-21-2018, 15:22
Definitely check the forecast right before leaving and prepare accordingly. I live less than a 30 minute drive from the NOC. It has been a cool, wet early winter so far. :)

Slo-go'en
12-21-2018, 15:30
Definitely check the forecast right before leaving and prepare accordingly. I live less than a 30 minute drive from the NOC. It has been a cool, wet early winter so far. :)

Yea, you guys have been getting a LOT of rain lately. Just wish it would turn into snow when it gets here.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2018, 17:43
Well, for many it would be an overnight hike, 2 days.30 mi.

So you should be able to pick your conditions/days.

I cant imagine it taking 3-4 days for average persons. Literally you need 1.5 days food, about 2.5 lb.

Maybe 2.5 days due to length of daylight then

MtDoraDave
12-22-2018, 06:38
I wouldn't want to do that section in icy conditions!