PDA

View Full Version : NJ AT Unsupported FKT Attempt

brauda02
12-22-2018, 00:38
Hey all,

I'm considering going for the unsupported FKT on the 72 mile New Jersey AT section. As far as I can tell from my research there is no current unsupported FKT for this section. The supported FKT is 15:36:29 (https://fastestknowntime.com/fkt/ryan-thorpe-nj-appalachian-trail-nj-2017-09-02). I'd like to do it on December 31-January 1, but my schedule is flexible and will only attempt it when I have a good weather window.

So two questions, 1) does anyone know of an unsupported FKT for this section? and 2) what is a good source for current trail conditions? Long term forecast is not calling for any major snowstorms so I'm hoping the trail is mostly dry.

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 02:16
https://weather.com/weather/today/l/High+Point+State+Park+6028:19:US

https://www.webcamgalore.com/webcam/USA/Wantage-New-Jersey/12682.html The Wantage NJ web cam is near High Pt SP.

On the southern end are weather forecasts for DWG and Strudsburg PA. https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Delaware+Water+Gap+PA+18327:4:US

https://www.the-webcam-network.com/Pennsylvania-USA/Delaware-Water-Gap/2908185.html I don't know if one can still access the cams at DWG but here's access to some nearby.

What's the plan SOBO, but dependent on more known detailed conditions? Curious, why Dec 31-Jan 1 timeframe? Do you want to share how you're being supported?

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 02:17
There are traffic cams @ DWG. I can't tell you how to access these...legally.

tdoczi
12-22-2018, 08:25
over a series of multiple day hikes in 2005 i hiked all of NJ. these were all unsupported.i hereby claim the unsupported FKT. lets call it 4 months.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2018, 11:27
I'd wait for a better time of year. It's rained a lot recently and some parts of the trail in NJ go underwater when it rains a lot. While snow probably won't be a factor, ice may well be. While most of NJ is fairly level and easy, they do put a few obstacles in the way and those will come at the end of the day when your tired and it's dark. To beat the FKT you cite, you'll have to do better then 5 MPH - although if there is no record for unsupported, I guess it doesn't matter. All you got to do is beat tdoczi's 4 months :)

You cite your location as Colorado. Have you been on the AT in NJ before? A lot of western trail runners who come out east to run the AT comment how much harder the AT is compared to what their used to.

tdoczi
12-22-2018, 11:36
All you got to do is beat tdoczi's 4 months :)

my hikes were all out and back. even if he succeeds at doing it end to end i will still hold a record.

maybe i should find an unclaimed FKT and actually go out and try and establish a time. i mean it seems like someone beat me to NJ but i probably could have gone out and done it in 3 days and had that called the record until someone cared enough to beat it.

is there an FKT for MA? I could probably do that over a long weekend too. except i really dont wnt to hike MA again.

tdoczi
12-22-2018, 11:40
my hikes were all out and back. even if he succeeds at doing it end to end i will still hold a record.

maybe i should find an unclaimed FKT and actually go out and try and establish a time. i mean it seems like someone beat me to NJ but i probably could have gone out and done it in 3 days and had that called the record until someone cared enough to beat it.

is there an FKT for MA? I could probably do that over a long weekend too. except i really dont wnt to hike MA again.

scratch that. i forgot, i dont want to deal with the whole "where is the border" routine doing an FKT to MA would involve.

similarly that eliminates NY/CT from the running. this is harder than it seems. i really should have done NJ while I had the chance.

MuddyWaters
12-22-2018, 12:41
over a series of multiple day hikes in 2005 i hiked all of NJ. these were all unsupported.i hereby claim the unsupported FKT. lets call it 4 months.
Im betting you got in car and blew the unsupported, unless walked to trail each time. I bet you had pizza too.

no_1
12-22-2018, 13:28
Im betting you got in car and blew the unsupported, unless walked to trail each time. I bet you had pizza too.

Remember, if you can't be an athlete
please be an athletic supporter. :)

Slo-go'en
12-22-2018, 13:38
Looks like it took me 6 days to do NJ. Definitely dragged my feet through my old home state. Plus we were still recuperating from being beat up in PA. A 5 mile day into and then another 5 mile day out of Vernon definitely slowed down the pace. But hey, it was cold and it had been raining most of the last week and we needed resupply. Most thru hikers probably do NJ in about 3 days.

tdoczi
12-22-2018, 14:52
dang, you're right

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 16:30
I'd wait for a better time of year. It's rained a lot recently and some parts of the trail in NJ go underwater when it rains a lot. While snow probably won't be a factor, ice may well be. While most of NJ is fairly level and easy, they do put a few obstacles in the way and those will come at the end of the day when your tired and it's dark. To beat the FKT you cite, you'll have to do better then 5 MPH - although if there is no record for unsupported, I guess it doesn't matter. All you got to do is beat tdoczi's 4 months :)

You cite your location as Colorado. Have you been on the AT in NJ before? A lot of western trail runners who come out east to run the AT comment how much harder the AT is compared to what their used to.
If Brouda runs trails in CO, which I'd assume he does, I'd also assume after a NJ AT FKT he'd rather have solid frozen ground even if it means some ice spots rather than mud to slog through hence might have chosen those dates partly for the solid ground and no one on the NJ AT for the most part. Most during that time are gorging on food and drink, shopping, doing returns, engaged in holiday activities, and glued to TV. Could be a great time for a CO trail runner to bag a FKT as his way to experience holiday activities. What a way to spend that time of the yr ringing out last yr and ringing in the new yr in style.

@ Brouda All My Best. I sincerely hope you get the weather window you're seeking and attain your goal.

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 16:34
Brouda, I suggest asking the moderators to transfer your thread to the more focused Speed Hiking and Trail Running Forum from the General Forum in a PM.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2018, 17:20
If Brouda runs trails in CO, which I'd assume he does, I'd also assume after a NJ AT FKT he'd rather have solid frozen ground even if it means some ice spots rather than mud to slog through hence might have chosen those dates partly for the solid ground and no one on the NJ AT for the most part. Most during that time are gorging on food and drink, shopping, doing returns, engaged in holiday activities, and glued to TV. Could be a great time for a CO trail runner to bag a FKT as his way to experience holiday activities. What a way to spend that time of the yr ringing out last yr and ringing in the new yr in style. @ Brouda All My Best. I sincerely hope you get the weather window you're seeking and attain your goal.

Granted there won't be much other traffic on the trail then, but a fair number of people like to go out for New Years. Christmas is different, then you stay in and gorge. Most likely he's out here visiting relatives or something and this is the time window he has.

I would expect trail conditions to be very sloppy, possibly ankle deep in places. The forecast for Vernon, NJ this coming week doesn't look good. More rain on the weekend, then showers lingering through the New Year. Temps dip just below freezing at night and go just above during the day. In a word, raw.

It's not clear to me if he wants to do this all in one none stop go or with at least one overnighter. Two 30+ mile days would be more manageable then one 72 mile day, despite the need to carry the extra overnight gear. He apparently wants to do a 70 day thru hike, so these are the kind of days he'll have to pull off on a consistent bases. I guess this would be a good test run.

Dogwood
12-22-2018, 18:23
Yeah. If it is as said, "no existing unsupported NJ AT FKT" simply doing it as a first gets you the FKT, overnighter or just one minimalist kit 20 hr or so push. I've mused many times about achieving FKT's simply by coming up with a first attempt because it stands as the record. Then, I could announce to the world look I was a FKT record holder. ;) :rolleyes: :D Wanna race shopping carts to the checkout? :D

Durunner
12-22-2018, 21:32
As others said, it will be very muddy. Where there isn't lots of mud, probably a lot more rocks than you are used to. It has been a weird weather season. We actually had T-storms here last night. What kind of time are you looking at?

RiverbirchHiker
12-22-2018, 22:10
Granted there won't be much other traffic on the trail then, but a fair number of people like to go out for New Years. Christmas is different, then you stay in and gorge. Most likely he's out here visiting relatives or something and this is the time window he has.
I would expect trail conditions to be very sloppy, possibly ankle deep in places. The forecast for Vernon, NJ this coming week doesn't look good. More rain on the weekend, then showers lingering through the New Year. Temps dip just below freezing at night and go just above during the day. In a word, raw.
It's not clear to me if he wants to do this all in one none stop go or with at least one overnighter. Two 30+ mile days would be more manageable then one 72 mile day, despite the need to carry the extra overnight gear. He apparently wants to do a 70 day thru hike, so these are the kind of days he'll have to pull off on a consistent bases. I guess this would be a good test run.
Those are all good points. I've encountered slow-going hikers on NY Day--more interested in getting outside on day #1 of the New Year than covering miles. They'd be something to get around if you're tryin' to establish a record.

As for the raw weather, that makes carrying a bit more gear essential for an overnight. You've gotta carry enough for a restful night's sleep in temps. hovering around freezing. It's easier in warmer temps. to get away with carrying very little...

brauda02
12-22-2018, 22:11
Hey all,

Thank you for all the responses.

Here are answers to some of the questions posed above:

I hiked from the Del Water Gap to Bear Mountain Bridge in 4 days last June as a final shakeout hike for the Colorado Trail.

I plan to go SOBO to take advantage of some of the more runnable sections while my legs are fresher. I.e. the boardwalk, rolling pastures, etc.

I'm estimating this will be a 20 hour effort.

As far as mud goes, I'm hoping that a few cold days in a row will freeze anything soupy. I'll have micro-spikes in my pack for ice.

Why this time of year? I'm from NJ and visiting family for the holidays. My window for this attempt is the 27th to the 3rd though I'd like to start it on the 31st because that would be a great way to celebrate the New Year.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's feedback. I will post on here if/when I announce a date for the attempt and follow up with the outcome regardless of its success.

RiverbirchHiker
12-22-2018, 22:28
Wishing you well!! Thanks for posting here and sharing your hike with us.

Who knows? By establishing the record, you may spur others to try and break it. You might be back here doing this again in a year or two....setting a new BKT!

franky
12-23-2018, 03:07
Hey all,

I'm from NJ and visiting family for the holidays.

That's exactly what I thought! I'm from Dirty Jersey too, but never moving back!

Malto
12-23-2018, 19:35
I did it in under 48 hours so maybe I hold the FKT. I want a trophy!!!!!! Don’t get a winter FKT attempt, that is stacking the deck against you from the start.

brauda02
12-29-2018, 12:28
Hi all,

I will be starting my unsupported FKT tomorrow around 1pm SOBO. Hoping to be at DWG by 9am on Monday.

Slo-go'en
12-29-2018, 13:32
Hi all,

I will be starting my unsupported FKT tomorrow around 1pm SOBO. Hoping to be at DWG by 9am on Monday.

Good luck, hopefully not too much of the trail will be under water after all that rain yesterday. Or the cold front doesn't get that far south and turn it all into ice.

Slo-go'en
12-29-2018, 21:11
Hum, Vernon township is under flood watch until 10 pm tonight. That could mean the boardwalks are under water, since that area frequently floods. At least it won't get quite cold enough, long enough to create much ice. The trail will be slick and muddy for sure. Can't wait for the report!

brauda02
12-29-2018, 23:03
Hum, Vernon township is under flood watch until 10 pm tonight. That could mean the boardwalks are under water, since that area frequently floods. At least it won't get quite cold enough, long enough to create much ice. The trail will be slick and muddy for sure. Can't wait for the report!

hmmm... I can deal with some mud but not a swim. Where did you see that Vernon is under a flood watch? I'm also concerned about the Walkill Nature Preserve. It rained a lot on Friday, but was warm and sunny today so hopefully things dried out a bit. Forecast is supposed to dry through Monday morning and I won't hit the boardwalk til around sunset tomorrow.

Slo-go'en
12-30-2018, 02:17
hmmm... I can deal with some mud but not a swim. Where did you see that Vernon is under a flood watch? I'm also concerned about the Walkill Nature Preserve. It rained a lot on Friday, but was warm and sunny today so hopefully things dried out a bit. Forecast is supposed to dry through Monday morning and I won't hit the boardwalk til around sunset tomorrow.

I checked the weather for Vernon Township and a flood warning banner come up. Several of the rivers in the township were cresting at well above flood level IIRC. I guess you won't know if that impacts the trail or not until you get there. That nature preserve floods easy too. Hard to say if anything will dry out in a day, the ground is saturated so it all has to run off. I hope you have someone you can call and rescue you if need be.

tdoczi
12-30-2018, 09:00
I checked the weather for Vernon Township and a flood warning banner come up. Several of the rivers in the township were cresting at well above flood level IIRC. I guess you won't know if that impacts the trail or not until you get there. That nature preserve floods easy too. Hard to say if anything will dry out in a day, the ground is saturated so it all has to run off. I hope you have someone you can call and rescue you if need be.

even at 2am on saturday night slo?

tdoczi
12-30-2018, 09:31
I hope you have someone you can call and rescue you if need be.
and why would someone out hiking call someone and offer to rescue them? and from what?

brauda02
12-30-2018, 09:49
and why would someone out hiking call someone and offer to rescue them? and from what?

Think Slo-go'en means that if say I get to the boardwalk and it's completely submerged I can call someone to pick me up at HWY94. Yes I do. Or anywhere else along the trail.

tdoczi
12-30-2018, 11:34
Think Slo-go'en means that if say I get to the boardwalk and it's completely submerged I can call someone to pick me up at HWY94. Yes I do. Or anywhere else along the trail.
i know what he means, i just like to indulge in some good natured mocking with him when he starts with the pronouncements of doom aimed at other people's hikes.

i was out hiking yesterday not super far from where you're at. nothing is underwater, though things are wet and sloppy. i don't anticipate you needing to be rescued.

brauda02
12-30-2018, 11:47
i was out hiking yesterday not super far from where you're at. nothing is underwater, though things are wet and sloppy. i don't anticipate you needing to be rescued.

That's reassuring. Getting a ride up to the stateline trail in a few hours.

LazyLightning
12-30-2018, 13:17
good luck

I imagine Stringbean would hold the record if he was keeping track in NJ, which I doubt... but others could of did it faster that didn't do the entire thing faster overall.

I'm slow but I remember hitting NJ and the first half felt like a continuation of the rocks in PA still slowing me down, it was a beautiful state though. I liked all those boardwalks and stuff, even the ones completely overgrown walking through vegetation taller then you...

tdoczi
12-31-2018, 15:51
Hi all,

starting to think he didnt make it? maybe slo' was right.

also realized kind of late.... start at 1pm and finish at 9am? a night hike? interesting approach.

brauda02
12-31-2018, 17:05
Finished today around 12:30pm for a time of 22 hours 41 minutes.

Strava https://www.strava.com/activities/2047030651

Thanks all for the tips and support! Trip report coming.

u.w.
12-31-2018, 17:44

Huge Congratulations! and Great Job! Looking forward to the trip report.

u.w.

brauda02
01-02-2019, 19:57
Here is my video and race report from my FKT:

https://youtu.be/jyfpcEPQFbo

chknfngrs
01-03-2019, 10:52
good job bob!

petedelisio
01-03-2019, 11:33
Nice...

Dont' know if you mentioned any later in the vid, but you beat the heat, snakes, and most bears by your winter run choice.

Do bears scat quicker when they hear a runner plodding down the trail?

Dogwood
01-03-2019, 12:37

Goal realized. Not a pretender. Comes back with public thanks/appreciation to others and reports back. Concise and rich content. Aaawhesome? :cool: Way cool! Top shelf.

^^

CalebJ
01-03-2019, 13:21
Goal realized. Not a pretender. Comes back with public thanks/appreciation to others and reports back. Concise and rich content. Aaawhesome? :cool: Way cool! Top shelf.

^^
Amen. Well played.

chknfngrs
01-03-2019, 13:54
How one pronounces “Aaawhesome” will make or break one’s day. I am totally stealing this spelling because, welp, it’s so aawhesome.

Kaptainkriz
01-03-2019, 18:48
Most excellent! :D