PDA

View Full Version : First-ever solo, unsupported, unaided crossing of the Antarctica

petedelisio
12-27-2018, 11:14
Cool.
American Colin O’Brady has completed the first-ever solo, unsupported, unaided crossing of the Antarctica. According to his website, which has been tracking his GPS signal since he departed November 3, he has arrived at the Ross Ice Shelf on the Pacific Ocean.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/explorer-completes-historic-antarctic-trek/ar-BBRsJRc?ocid=spartandhp

Rift Zone
12-27-2018, 12:34
Hard core. Well done man!

HooKooDooKu
12-27-2018, 12:48
Read the news story on NBC News this morning. Apparently there is another trekker currently attempting the same feat in honor of someone who died trying previously. I believe the new story said O'Brady was currently staying in Antarctica in hopes of meeting the 2nd trekker when he finishes.

D2maine
12-27-2018, 16:07
meh its not like he was planning a section hiking the whites in December...
:-?

HandyRandy
12-27-2018, 16:54
meh its not like he was planning a section hiking the whites in December...
:-?

Now you’re just yanking our chain! No one would ever consider doing something so foolish! After seeing this guy though, I suppose it could be done if they picked the perfect window of opportunity.[emoji848]

squeezebox
01-05-2019, 01:03
The 2nd guy finished too. And Colin waited at the end for , I think, 3 days to congratelate the 2nd guy. I hope they took some video.

chknfngrs
01-05-2019, 15:45
Saw this article on FaceSpace. Nuts, right?

https://roam.media/antarctica-solo-unsupported-mike-horn/

HandyRandy
01-05-2019, 20:41
Sounds like fun except for the whole lack of resupply part. That’s a lot of food and fuel to be hauling. I wonder what stove he used.

HandyRandy
02-14-2019, 18:09
He was on Joe Rogan’s show the other day.
https://youtu.be/1Gtrg6R7b3w

Venchka
02-14-2019, 20:34
Sounds like fun except for the whole lack of resupply part. That’s a lot of food and fuel to be hauling. I wonder what stove he used.
Alcohol. Definitely! LOL.
Years ago I saw a great video about a small group who crossed the Patagonia ice field. They used white gas. Somehow the white gas contaminated tubs of butter and they were on reduced rations.
Whatever stove he used it worked.
Wayne

carouselambra
02-15-2019, 13:50
I am currently reading the book Endurance about Shackleton's expedition. It takes a special physical and mental mindset to perform in those conditions.

Maineiac64
02-15-2019, 14:03
Years ago I saw a great video about a small group who crossed the Patagonia ice field. They used white gas. Somehow the white gas contaminated tubs of butter and they were on reduced rations.
Wayne
He used white gas, the joe rogan interview was great. He went to incredible lengths planning and executing this feat. He had to boil snow for his water like 2 hours per day and poop in his tent vestibule.

HandyRandy
02-15-2019, 14:03
Wayne

Yeah, I forgot to look out for the answer to that, but I think I remember him saying he had about 6 liters of fuel and ate one hot freeze dried meal every day.

Venchka
02-15-2019, 17:11
I am currently reading the book Endurance about Shackleton's expedition. It takes a special physical and mental mindset to perform in those conditions.
Quite possibly the greatest achievement in the annals of exploration and survival. I'll save the spoilers for later.
Wayne

HandyRandy
02-17-2019, 14:14
I think I would like to go and climb some mountains there. A thousand miles of flatland sounds a bit too monotonous to me.