PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

cjordan
02-22-2006, 14:56
I'm getting ready for my first 3 day/2 night hike on the AT from Amicalola to Neels Gap this May. Hopefully my first of many section hikes.
I've posted quit a few times in this forum and received a lot of good advice which I appreciate very much.
My current question has to do with bear bags. Since I'm only going to be camping for 2 nights I would like to pitch a tent away from the shelters (to get the full outdoor experience). I'm assuming I should still hang my food, but should I hang my entire pack as well?
Also, can someone describe the best/proper way to do this?

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more questions before my trip.

Allen

Lone Wolf
02-22-2006, 15:08
No need to hang either if you're not tenting near a shelter. Just my opinion.

rickb
02-22-2006, 15:23
While I tend to agree with LW, putting up a bear bag is still considered "the right thing to do". This sketch shows how to put up a food bag in a way that might actually work should a bear come around.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?do=searchresults&searchid=1826

The vast majority of food bags put up in trees would only slow down the dumbest of bears, IMHO. But if they help people sleep better, I guess they serve a good purpose.

No need to hang your pack though. But conventional wisdom suggests that you put stuff with an odor like toothpaste, soaps, candy wrappers etc. up in your food bag. Perhaps even your cooking pots and utensils.

bigmac_in
02-22-2006, 16:33
I'm getting ready for my first 3 day/2 night hike on the AT from Amicalola to Neels Gap this May. Hopefully my first of many section hikes.
I've posted quit a few times in this forum and received a lot of good advice which I appreciate very much.
My current question has to do with bear bags. Since I'm only going to be camping for 2 nights I would like to pitch a tent away from the shelters (to get the full outdoor experience). I'm assuming I should still hang my food, but should I hang my entire pack as well?
Also, can someone describe the best/proper way to do this?

Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more questions before my trip.

Allen

What dates in May will you be hiking? A friend and I will be there in May as well. We are fairly new section hikers on the AT, but have some experience in other areas. Just wondering in case we bump into each other.

BTW, I hang my food as well as other items as mentioned. I'd rather see a bear in a tree nearby than have its nose in my tent. L. Wolf is probably right, the chances are slim, but why chance it when it isn't that hard to hang the bag.

BigMac

cjordan
02-22-2006, 17:08
My first day on the AT will be May 9.

anneandbenhike
02-23-2006, 12:02
This method from Backpacking light is the method we use and it is great. You definitely have to go try it as the diagram is a bit confusing just to look at. Do it a time or two and you will be convinced that it is the easiest method and you do not have to worry about your food.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html