PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Section Hike for May 2019

hildebrand1944
12-29-2018, 13:39
Plan to hike between Harper's Ferry and Fayetteville PA in May of 2019. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in that area in May? Any suggestion for a shuttle driver? Is there heavy bear activity in that area? Wondering about food storage - do the shelters have bear cables or boxes?:-?

I just ordered the White Blaze Pages for 2019 so some of my questions may be answered.

Thank You,
Hildy:)

Slo-go'en
12-29-2018, 21:20
Depends on when in May. It can still be quite chilly (and rainy) in early May and down right beastly hot at the end of May. I don't think there is much of a bear problem in that area. I forget what, if any on site food storage there might be. Been a couple of years since was last down that way. I suspect there wasn't any to speak of.

Slow Trek
12-29-2018, 22:44
Was there in June,no cables or boxes. Also saw no bears. The problem this year was flooding,hope that is not the case for you.

Teacher & Snacktime
12-29-2018, 23:14
It starts getting hot in MD by mid April....it's hot in May. The shelters have no boxes that I saw nor cables, though Dahlgren Campground has hanging poles (a must stop by the way if for no other reason than a hot shower). We saw no signs of bear but did spot a cougar print (no lie) near Rocky Ridge Shelter!
For a shuttle I highly recommend Bob "Junker" Freeman....He's listed in WB Shuttle providers in Fayettville PA, and Lauren from Teahorse Hostel in HF (her son owns hostel now but she still runs shuttles).

Furlough
12-30-2018, 07:43
From the Tea Horse Hostel website IRT shuttles:
Shuttling from Shenandoah National Park to Pen-Mar, Trail Boss can be reached at 703-967-2226.
Shuttling from Waynesboro, VA to Duncannon, PA and Harpers Ferry to Dulles Airport, Mark "Strings" Cusic can be reached at 304-433-0028.