PDA

View Full Version : Different Trail Magic???

Glenn
02-22-2006, 15:36
I am unable to carry a pack so I do the trail magic thing and day hike. Besides food and rides to town what else could I do that costs me nothing? I already thought of collecting garbage. For those who don't like planned trail magic, only 3 hikers have turned down my magic in 8 years.

neo
02-22-2006, 15:44
I am unable to carry a pack so I do the trail magic thing and day hike. Besides food and rides to town what else could I do that costs me nothing? I already thought of collecting garbage. For those who don't like planned trail magic, only 3 hikers have turned down my magic in 8 years.

thanks glenn for your love of hiking and helping hikers:cool: neo

Gray Blazer
02-22-2006, 15:49
Hey Glenn, that's cool. I live in Gainesville, FL. Come join us on Rocky Bald on Mar 25-26 in the Nantahalas. We'll be doing an all day hiker feed and I could use some help.

Lion King
02-22-2006, 17:00
You guys all rock.

:D

jlb2012
02-22-2006, 17:21
Glenn - if you are capable of it doing trail maintenance is good "magic" - also stopping by the various hostels and lending a hand cleaning and maintaining them would be good too.

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 18:32
Glenn- You stated that 'other than rides and food, what can I do that costs me nothing?"

How do you manage to give rides that cost you nothing with today's gas prices? How do you get food for free to give to hikers? It seems to me this is costing you something already.

But mucho gusto for your trail travajo!!! :)

SalParadise
02-22-2006, 19:14
sugared Kool-Aid, it's cheap, though that would obviously cost something.

but thank you thank you thank you thank you. You guys are all the best.

slaphappy
02-22-2006, 19:23
A massage (especially a foot massage if you're brave enough to give one) would make any hiker's day.

timhines
02-22-2006, 23:41
this isn't free, but it's cheap.
Buy a pack of local postcards and put stamps on them. If you are doing a day hike or what not offer to give one to a thru hiker. Let them fill out a small message and then you can offer to drop it in your mail box.

That would be trail magic for the hiker and for the family back home.

Total cost would be less than $1 per hiker.

Rendezvous01
02-23-2006, 00:04
Sometimes the simplest gestures have the most impact on hikers.
I like Tim's idea.
Just a friendly smile, how's-it-goin', can-I-email-your-folks-back-home-how-you're-doing? thirty second visit can give a tired hiker the extra oomph to make it up the next mountain. My first day on the approach trail a local named Gene out for a day hike gave me his walking stick ('looks like you need this more'n I do') plus an encouraging word that helped me out much more than a cold Coke would have.

mambo_tango
02-23-2006, 01:56
this isn't free, but it's cheap.
Buy a pack of local postcards and put stamps on them. If you are doing a day hike or what not offer to give one to a thru hiker. Let them fill out a small message and then you can offer to drop it in your mail box.

That would be trail magic for the hiker and for the family back home.

Total cost would be less than $1 per hiker.

Hey that is a really good idea! I like it!

LIhikers
02-23-2006, 08:05
First let me thank you for what you do for hikers...THANK YOU :)
If there's a dry section of trail in your area you could leave water during the heat of summer.

Mountain Maiden
02-23-2006, 10:43
Hi Glenn, as a former thru-hiker, I appreciated TM of ANY kind. It is an unselfish and time consuming act. Did you like the postcard idea? If so, I would be glad to have some of those AT postcards sent to your home along with postage. I am not near the Trail so cannot do TM directly. PM or email me if you are interested. THANKS! :sun

Rough
02-23-2006, 11:14
Glenn, if you have a digital camera, offer to take a photo and e-mail it to a hiker's friend or family (or to the hiker's own e-mail). There's nothing like a current photo to stay in touch with those who are thinking about their favorite hiker.

Mountain Maiden
02-23-2006, 11:22
Rough--What a cool idea!!

D'Artagnan
02-23-2006, 13:46
It would definitely be a lot of work, but if you're near shelters, how about rounding up small quantities of firewood? That sure is a welcome sight at the end of a long day. The postcard and digital photo ideas are great and I plan to incorporate them into my weekending this Spring, Summer and Fall.

Thank you for all you and others do to make the AT what it is.

SalParadise
02-23-2006, 19:06
really like the postcard idea. plus I (and most) hikers always carried a little change and some cash that it probably wouldn't be a problem for most hikers to pay for the stamp or donate to the cause.

Or if you're on a long stretch between town stops, bringing a garbage bag and taking out peoples' trash is helpful.

jlb2012
02-23-2006, 19:15
if you happen to run into hikers at shelters or other campsites offer to pack out their trash

saimyoji
02-23-2006, 19:47
if you happen to run into hikers at shelters or other campsites offer to pack out their trash

Maybe not such a great idea...I can picture some hikers getting "Glenn-customated" to not packing out their trash, thinking the ridge-runner or other 'custodial' person will do it for them. I personally would decline the offer to take my trash. I am embarrassed when someone has to clean up after me.

My wife usually makes me feel this way! :D