PDA

View Full Version : Conjugal visits on the Trail

CampTim
02-22-2006, 16:52
I'm thru-hiking this year, and leaving a sad and lonely girlfriend at home. We want to plan to meet up at some point along the trail (ok, so we're not married and therefore it's not technically conjugal, it just made for a good thread title). She lives in Philadlephia, and will likely come see me at Delaware Water Gap, but I wanted to see if anyone had any info about areas, preferably in VA that she might be able to joing me for a few days hiking. The biggest problem being that she probably won't have a car. Is there a spot where it's relatively easy to reach the Trail by train/bus and then to get back to that spot after a couple days of hiking (presumably by hitching)? I was thinking of Shenandoah since it's so heavily trafficked? Any suggestions/thoughts will be most appreciated.

Twofifteen
02-22-2006, 17:02
She could fly into Roanoke and catch a taxi to Dragon's Tooth Parking Area. It's probably 20 minutes by taxi. The two of you could spend a couple or three nights in the McAfee Knob / Tinker Cliffs Area. You could spend a night in one of several motels in the Daleville area and she could taxi back to the airport. That'd be another 20-25 minute taxi ride.

The section from Dragon's Tooth to Daleville is about 25 miles if I remember correctly.

papa john
02-22-2006, 17:29
She could go into Washington DC and catch the commuter train out to Harpers Ferry.

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 18:29
Isn't there a train stop directly on the AT in NY?

QHShowoman
02-22-2006, 18:58
Yes, Metro North's Harlem Line has an AT stop, although the schedule is very infrequent (as I recall, only on weekends ...).

bfitz
02-22-2006, 20:22
The Bus stops in waynesboro VA walking distance from the YMCA campground where hikers stay for free, just pryor to the beautiful and easy stretch of the shenandoah that has blackberry milkshakes like every 10 miles...

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 20:58
Hell, to help a fellow hiker with some trail nookie, gimme a call. If she can get to Allentown, I'll shuttle her to any trailhead (no pun intended) within 50 mi.

lbbrown
02-22-2006, 21:12
I'm thru-hiking this year, and leaving a sad and lonely girlfriend at home. We want to plan to meet up at some point along the trail (ok, so we're not married and therefore it's not technically conjugal, it just made for a good thread title). She lives in Philadlephia, and will likely come see me at Delaware Water Gap, but I wanted to see if anyone had any info about areas, preferably in VA that she might be able to joing me for a few days hiking. The biggest problem being that she probably won't have a car. Is there a spot where it's relatively easy to reach the Trail by train/bus and then to get back to that spot after a couple days of hiking (presumably by hitching)? I was thinking of Shenandoah since it's so heavily trafficked? Any suggestions/thoughts will be most appreciated.

As a member of the Philly Hikerz, your spouse or significant other may be transported by a volunteer member to meet you on the trail. How about Pine Grove Furnace which is the halfway point? The Doyle Hotel,Port Clinton, Eckville maybe even Billville (not). Use a train or bus for Harpers Ferry or Damascus but in Pa. we can help you out!:-?

neo
02-22-2006, 21:15

cool thread:cool: neo

bigmac_in
02-22-2006, 21:17
Hell, to help a fellow hiker with some trail nookie, gimme a call. If she can get to Allentown, I'll shuttle her to any trailhead (no pun intended) within 50 mi.

LMAO :D - Saimyoji you're a real saint......

saimyoji
02-22-2006, 21:25
PM me when your 'ready!"

Old Spice
02-22-2006, 21:36
cool thread:cool: neo

i'll second that.

CampTim
02-23-2006, 11:40
Wow, didn't think this would get such an outpouring of support. You guys are awesome, if perhaps a little twisted? In a good way, of course! In that way that creates the wonderful community that are hikers.
Twofifteen, what you described sounds absolutely perfect, thanks for the help. We're going to try to meet up earlier in the hike, so VA is what we're looking for I think. Once I get towards PA, I might just take some of you up on your offers for rides. Hooray for some sweet loving on the Trail! Although she did threaten that I better be at least mildly clean before she even came near me... Better be a nice cold stream nearby our meeting spot.

Twofifteen
02-23-2006, 14:07
Camp Tim,

Glad to help. I'll PM you more info.

Megabite
02-23-2006, 20:22
Regardless of the where, when, how, and for how long - make time to see other people while you're on the trail... it's worth it (for several reasons!).

Don't ever come to the conclusion that it's just too hard logistically - figure out how to make it work.

-- MB

CampTim
02-23-2006, 20:44
Good advice, Megabite. I've got a number of meet-ups scheduled along my hike, and I know I'll appreciate the familiar company.

Moxie00
02-23-2006, 21:02
Great thread, my wife never met me until New York. We both felt that if we got together sooner I might just want to come home but by New York I would be committed. I don't know if I would have been tempted to quit by a visit but I do know that after nearly 4 months, no way. A woman who I hiked most of the way had her husband join her at least once a month. Anyhow, once you get to Maine either I or any member of my hiking club will shuttle any hiker about anywhere on the trail. You can reach me through Whiteblaze and if I can't shuttle you several members of "The Maine Gang" will be willing to.

Jester2000
02-24-2006, 14:36
The Doyle Hotel,Port Clinton, Eckville maybe even Billville (not).

Why "not?" Is not Billville the most romantic place on the Trail?

the goat
02-24-2006, 15:15

i don't know a/b billville, but the honeymoon suite at the doyle is posh (as far as trail accomodations go). i can tell you, the springs on the "bed" are definitely worn out, though:D

lbbrown
02-24-2006, 16:26
I think of Billville as a "state of mind"? Kinda like "home is where the heart is" or "home is where you hang your hat" or better yet " if you can't be with the one you love, then love the one you're with":-?

Ridge
02-24-2006, 20:55
If the hammock is rocking don't come a knocking OR If the tent is hopping don't come a knocking, just get out of the way.

I can recommend a book on the subject: "Rustle In The Bush's" by Willie Getit.

digger51
02-24-2006, 21:47
I often hoped for a conjugal visit while on the trail but no conjugals would visit me.

Panzer1
02-24-2006, 23:01
She could take the train from center city Philly to West trenton NJ, then take NJ transit to Penn station NY, then walk/taxie/subway to Gran Central Station NY and then take the Metro North train to the Appalachian trail train station(only Saturday/Sunday)(you must transfer trains at Bruster North station)to Applachian Trail train station NY(trail mile 1428) , which is right on the trail, and then hike 125 niles north to Dalton MA, and get the Amtrak back to center city Philly.
Or take the Amtrak from Dalton to Grand Central Station NY, and then to save money switch to NJ transit (Penn Station) regional train to Trenton NJ and then take SEPTA train into Philly.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/Harlem_WE.pdf

See guide book for bus options.

Panzer

dperry
02-25-2006, 15:07
http://http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/trancode.html
She could take the train from center city Philly to West trenton NJ, then take NJ transit to Penn station NY, then walk/taxie/subway to Gran Central Station NY and then take the Metro North train to the Appalachian trail train station(only Saturday/Sunday)(you must transfer trains at Bruster North station)to Applachian Trail train station NY(trail mile 1428) , which is right on the trail, and then hike 125 niles north to Dalton MA, and get the Amtrak back to center city Philly.
Or take the Amtrak from Dalton to Grand Central Station NY, and then to save money switch to NJ transit (Penn Station) regional train to Trenton NJ and then take SEPTA train into Philly.

http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/Harlem_WE.pdf

See guide book for bus options.

Panzer

Two corrections:

1. Catch the train from Center City Philadelphia (the R7, by the way) to Trenton, NJ. The only train you're connecting to in West Trenton will be a freight, and hoboing is dangerous. :D
2. Brewster North station has apparently changed its name to Southeast (who knows why).

Also, check out http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/no-car.html and http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/trancode.html (http://http://www.amc-ny.org/recreational-activities/trancode.html) for a multitude of other public transit options for access in the NY area. (Disclaimer: Please check with the appropriate operators beforehand to ensure that service still exists and is still on the same schedule.)

lilmountaingirl
02-27-2006, 18:17
I suspect one of the reasons my SO decided to hike with me was so he wouldn't have to worry about these things. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
02-27-2006, 19:45
I often hoped for a conjugal visit while on the trail but no conjugals would visit me.

I asked my wife about conjugal visits on the trail from my girlfriend.

I should be able to see outta my right eye again in about 30 days or so when the swelling goes down!!!! LOL

Rain:sunMan

Skidsteer
02-27-2006, 20:04
I asked my wife about conjugal visits on the trail from my girlfriend.

I should be able to see outta my right eye again in about 30 days or so when the swelling goes down!!!! LOL

HeHeHeh, You didn't ask your wife to give her a ride, did you? ;)

digger51
02-27-2006, 20:14
Rain man...even I am not that foolish. Hahahaha. I love it.

Ridge
02-27-2006, 21:00
HeHeHeh, You didn't ask your wife to give her a ride, did you? ;)

My wife would have had Ted Kennedy drive her to the trail.

Rain Man
02-28-2006, 00:22
Rain man...even I am not that foolish. Hahahaha. I love it.

LOL... I can joke because my wife is such a dear sweetie!

It's true, but THAT I had to say, in case my daughter who's a member of WhiteBlaze reads this thread!!!!! LOL

Besides, my Honey would never hit me... she has much more effective methods of torture and revenge!

Downunda
02-28-2006, 00:27
Well,l the way I figure it a "conjugal visit" counts as a blue blaze!