PDA

View Full Version : On average how cold is it I'm march Nobo?

Wolfpaw
02-22-2006, 17:31
I'm curious how much clothing will I actually need for a march 15 nobo start. I am trying to avoid overkill without being careless. My thoughts 2 synth t shirts one under aromor cold long sleeve, one fleece vest, wool hat, baseball hat, gloves, socks 3 pr wool,1 pr shorts, two synthetic pants. Marmot precip pants and coat. Will I be cool and warm enough ? Thanks peace, Paw.

Wolfpaw
02-22-2006, 17:32
I'm curious how much clothing will I actually need for a march 15 nobo start. I am trying to avoid overkill without being careless. My thoughts 2 synth t shirts, one under aromor cold long sleeve, one fleece vest, wool hat, baseball hat, gloves, socks 3 pr wool,1 pr shorts, two synthetic pants. Marmot precip pants and coat. Will I be cool and warm enough ? Thanks peace, Paw.

Tinker
02-22-2006, 18:26
To be on the safe side, I'd bring a down jacket (I am). I'm doing the Georgia section starting March 6th. The guy I'm starting with is on his second thru attempt.

We're old guys. You might not need as much insulation. Otherwise, my clothing list is essentially identical to yours (I don't have Underarmor, I'm using basic polypro and polyester long johns). I will only be carrying one pair of long pants, no shorts, and a pair of Red Ledge bottoms to go with my Precip jacket. The down jacket may be overkill, but, better safe than sorry.

SalParadise
02-22-2006, 19:18
heck, you don't really even need three pair of pants. March 15th is two weeks before either of my starts, but I'd guess around 20 degrees at night should be expected for some cold snaps--actually, we hit about 10 in the Smokies, so you'll get the same.

What's cold isn't the day when you're hiking, but at night, so it depends on how warm you sleep. One of the best things I had along was a thin nylon sleeping bag liner that added 10 degrees to the rating of my bag and kept me pretty toasty.

TwoForty
02-22-2006, 19:20
I'm curious how much clothing will I actually need for a march 15 nobo start. I am trying to avoid overkill without being careless. My thoughts 2 synth t shirts one under aromor cold long sleeve, one fleece vest, wool hat, baseball hat, gloves, socks 3 pr wool,1 pr shorts, two synthetic pants. Marmot precip pants and coat. Will I be cool and warm enough ? Thanks peace, Paw.

I would say that is a bit overkill. Not that you have too much "bad weather" stuff, but you have a lot of duplicates.

I would lose a synthetic shirt and one of the pairs of synthetic pants. Basically, you want a set for hiking and another set for around camp. I would also suggest a 200wt fleece pullover or a down jacket. The vest may be fine for hiking, but you'll probably want something else around camp.

You can hike in the precip and use the synthetic pants for around camp, or the other way around. It depends on if it's wet or windy out.

You can hike in the underarmor and add either the vest or the precip. Again, this depends on wind and rain. At camp, throw on the down or fleece pullover (or maybe a wool or syntehtic sweater, like primaloft, etc). Wear the synthetic shirt around camp.

The woolhat and gloves are good. You may want two pairs of liner socks and a pair of liner gloves for sweat management. The ballcap is very handy too. 3 pairs of socks is what I use. Most say take two, but I rotate them between hiking and sleeping and they take a day to dry....

vipahman
02-23-2006, 11:40
For very cold/snow weather (0-30 degree) "weekend" hiking, I wear:-
- base layer silkweight top
- base layer silkweight bottom
- merino wool middle layer sweater
- outer layer waterproof pant
- outer layer waterproof shell jacket
- ear covering hat
- gloves
- 2 pairs of socks. (sweaty feet makes me change them midday).

While it might seem like this is very little, I actually overheat during the hike if I don't open the zipper on my waterproof shell. So you are defintely going to be warm on the hike.

Obviously you will need to add what's needed for a thru' hike but that list should give you an idea of what's good for a day.

orangebug
02-23-2006, 11:48
I'd have one synthetic t-shirt, one light and one mid weight fleece shirt, a vest, the wind proof precip jacket and pants, wool hat for head, thin balakava for face in wind and night sleeping, glove liners and heavy mittens, two pairs of socks, one pair of pants, and a set of dry capilenes/marino wool long undies for camp/sleep wear. I'd consider a couple of plastic sacks or look for silnylon glove shells.

I am rarely cold while hiking, although wind on my face can be miserable. I'm more concerned about cold at night and keeping something dry for sleeping.