PDA

View Full Version : Unaka Mountain

ladytaz
01-02-2019, 11:39
I apologize in advance if this has been asked before but I did a search with no adequate results

Are there campsites on top of Unaka Mountain? Not a problem if there is no water, I will haul it up

Lone Wolf
01-02-2019, 11:46
yes. plenty of places

ladytaz
01-02-2019, 11:51
Great TY! That puts me about half way on my overnighter, perfect

blue indian
01-02-2019, 12:14
Yes plenty of places. No water and very cold up there.

Its also an extremely rare forest composition on Unaka. Please understand and respect the mountain

ladytaz
01-02-2019, 12:19
I always respect nature

Gambit McCrae
01-02-2019, 12:27
Yes plenty of places. No water and very cold up there.

Its also an extremely rare forest composition on Unaka. Please understand and respect the mountain

Would it take more respect then we should give to the other mountains?

Comments like these remind me of the guy that is in charge at the county dump.

Once one arrives atop Unaka mountain..."Ok okayyy I made it here. Step 1! Ohhh I better pull out my extra respect hat, for THIS is Unaka Mountain!"
"facepalm"

To answer the OP, yes there is lovely camping up there and water has to be lugged up. I would warn that the Southern side of the mountain is like some sort of course lava type gravel about the size of golf balls. It shredded my dogs pads and ended out hike at indian grave gap. Don't know if you will have a dog but if you are, its a good piece of info to have.

ladytaz
01-02-2019, 12:57
No dog but TY for the info

Tennessee Viking
01-02-2019, 16:57
Keep away from Iron Mtn Gap and the side road at the gap.

Cherry Gap (actual) - If I remember there is a bit of a seep and a old logging road before it drops down.
Cherry Gap Shelter
Low Gap
Small saddle before the rock walk section.
I used to know where the old Trail was where it passed the trailside pipe.
Unaka summit (waterless) - Wooded summit. Kind of cool and creepy. Don't get lost.
Deep Gap field (cross forest road to a piped spring and smaller tent site)
Beauty Spot Gap - Water only (through stile and cross road to trail to spring)
Beauty Spot - PARTY SPOT during warmer months. Camp at your own risk. Backtrack to BSG or Deep Gap for water.

blue indian
01-02-2019, 17:36
Would it take more respect then we should give to the other mountains?

Comments like these remind me of the guy that is in charge at the county dump.

Once one arrives atop Unaka mountain..."Ok okayyy I made it here. Step 1! Ohhh I better pull out my extra respect hat, for THIS is Unaka Mountain!"
"facepalm"

To answer the OP, yes there is lovely camping up there and water has to be lugged up. I would warn that the Southern side of the mountain is like some sort of course lava type gravel about the size of golf balls. It shredded my dogs pads and ended out hike at indian grave gap. Don't know if you will have a dog but if you are, its a good piece of info to have.

Excuse me....???.....I take offfense to your comment..

Simply making sure folks understand there is a fragile ecosystem on that mountain and to LNT.

blue indian
01-02-2019, 18:03
I always respect nature

I wasnt implying that you dont...

Unaka has one of the last healthy spruce-fir ecosystems left in the entire Appalachian chain. Its considered the 2nd most endangered ecosystem in the US, supporting species of flora and fauna found no where else! Pretty cool huh?
So yes, I think its important to understand that as someone reading this might remember the next time they are there. Special places require special attention.

Absolutely beautiful area, one of my favorites in the SE. Have fun!

Slo-go'en
01-02-2019, 18:05
IIRC, the top of Unaka is a little pine forest remisent of Maine. One of the few spots in south like it. That's what makes it kind of a special place. It would be nice if people left it pristine, but of course, that would never happen.

ladytaz
01-02-2019, 21:44
Thanks everyone

MuddyWaters
01-02-2019, 22:39
This is what unaka look like.
Its a red spruce forest, rare this far south.
A remnant of the last ice age.

Not my ideal place to camp. Itll do, but its not a destination site with views, etc.

Highstepper
01-02-2019, 23:17
It is a cool place.

Ironically the top of Unaka was left treeless after a 1925 fire.

https://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/citation.php?ImageID=17644

Gambit McCrae
01-03-2019, 00:30
Excuse me....???.....I take offfense to your comment..

Simply making sure folks understand there is a fragile ecosystem on that mountain and to LNT.
My bad BI. I got carried away on my keyboard. A better way of putting it is we should expect people to respect every mountain top as its the last if its kind

ladytaz
01-08-2019, 15:01
I did the hike this past Sunday/Monday. I took advantage of the unsually warm January weather. There were others out to, I was surprised to see as many people as I did. Uncle Johnnys shuttled me to Hughes gap on Sunday morning. I got on trail at 7:15. I hiked over Unaka mtn to beauty spot clearing and camped there. Then got up and hiked to beaty spot in the dark Monday morning so I could be there for sunrise. That was about a mile and very easy to follow. Spectacular sunrise. I was at Uncle Johnnys by one that afternoon.

Gambit McCrae
01-08-2019, 15:58
Well done!

Hikes in Rain
01-08-2019, 21:29
Wow, great shots! I can only imagine how it was have been like to be there!

John B
01-09-2019, 09:45
Of the 760 miles of the AT that I've hiked, I have the strongest memories of Unaka. Everything about it was beautiful. I hiked through it slowly but didn't stop because I mistakenly thought there would be more like it.
I hope you enjoy every step. It's an incredible place.

gbolt
01-09-2019, 09:50
Is this the mountain with a decorated pine tree to the left of the trail or was that farther north?

scope
01-09-2019, 11:58
Looks like a great place to hang!

illabelle
01-09-2019, 13:57
Of the 760 miles of the AT that I've hiked, I have the strongest memories of Unaka. Everything about it was beautiful. I hiked through it slowly but didn't stop because I mistakenly thought there would be more like it.
I hope you enjoy every step. It's an incredible place.

Unaka is part of our AT Finale, which we'll complete in Nov 2020. Our plan is to "hike through it slowly" savoring every step.
:)

Seatbelt
01-09-2019, 18:08
Unaka is part of our AT Finale, which we'll complete in Nov 2020. Our plan is to "hike through it slowly" savoring every step.
:)
FWIW climbing it sobo is considerably easier than nobo.

u.w.
01-09-2019, 18:23
@ ladytaz: wow - nice shots! Thanks for sharing! I'd be smiling big too!

@gbolt: yes - the small-ish one on the left, on the way up (nobo), before you get into the Spruce.

u.w.

illabelle
01-09-2019, 22:13
FWIW climbing it sobo is considerably easier than nobo.

Good to know, this is a sobo section for us.

lkmi
01-09-2019, 22:27
Looks like a great place to hang!
It is! :) I did so last August.

JPritch
12-17-2019, 23:29
Unaka has been my favorite place on the AT so far. It's one of those places that brings you peace and feels like home the minute you step foot on it.
I made that climb alone pre dusk, the wind was blowing so smoothly over the ferns it had such a calming effect over me.
I made camp at the spruce forest on top and shared a campfire with three guys I got to know (Ragnar, Brownie, & Pockets!). Loved it.

John B
12-18-2019, 08:34
Unaka has been my favorite place on the AT so far. It's one of those places that brings you peace and feels like home the minute you step foot on it. ... .

My favorite place as well and for the same reasons.