PDA

View Full Version : Tent Dilemma

SC_Forester
01-02-2019, 18:58
I have two new light weight tents sitting on my bed. a Big Agnes one person Fly Creek Platinum and a Nemo Hornet 1 person. One is being kept the other is being returned. Both in their packaging there is only 1.5 ounces different, both fit well in my pack. I want to keep the one that will treat me the best on the trail. Which one to keep?

Gambit McCrae
01-02-2019, 19:09
My simple vote is the BA. A simple, lightweight, freestanding tent that has been tried and proven. It is also the only one of the 2 I have experience with.

PGH1NC
01-02-2019, 21:29
I have the BA Fly Creek UL HV 2. My sons have the Nemo Hornet 2.

They seem about equal in performance but when I crawl out of the Fly Creek it is like being born naturally while getting out of the Nemo Hornet is like be delivered by Cesarean Section. I think the side load is easier to enter but the door is larger in the Fly Creek. I would think a similar conclusion would relater to the one-person tents.

Ashepabst
01-02-2019, 21:29
Why don’t you set them up side-by-side? It might come down to: which is less coffin-like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC_Forester
01-02-2019, 22:27
How do they preform in the rain? Condensation issues? Its been quite some time since I was born, I don't remember how it felt, which one do you prefer?

HooKooDooKu
01-02-2019, 22:35
I've borrowed a FlyCreek UL1 and hated it. A combination of too small (sleeping bag touched the walls and was wet in the morning) it was as well as the head exit (that birthing experience mentioned above). A UL2 I would say might be a possibility for a 1 man tent.... loved my BA Copper Spur UL2 as a 1 man tent on a JMT thru.

SWODaddy
01-02-2019, 23:18
I have two new light weight tents sitting on my bed. a Big Agnes one person Fly Creek Platinum and a Nemo Hornet 1 person. One is being kept the other is being returned. Both in their packaging there is only 1.5 ounces different, both fit well in my pack. I want to keep the one that will treat me the best on the trail. Which one to keep?

Hornet. Better side entry and vestibule.

Traveler
01-03-2019, 07:38
FWIW - I am a fan of side entry and vestibule combination as a more practical design design as I get older.

capehiker
01-05-2019, 03:27
Hornet. Side entry, fewer stakes.

DuneElliot
01-05-2019, 04:16
I would also go with the Hornet due to side entry

Venchka
01-05-2019, 10:16
I don’t suppose that “None of the Above” is an acceptable answer?
Wayne

Furlough
01-05-2019, 11:19
I can't speak to the Hornet 1, but I have the hornet 2 and really like it. I have had it out on a number of weekend trips, to include one 2 night 3 day trip where I believe my presence was the single handed reason for ending the drought like conditions that existed prior to my arrival. I had zero issues with the rain, no real issues with condensation. A bit that I think was caused by the wet/damp conditions of my gear than issues with tent. Small matter easily remidied with my bandana. Head room is good (i'm 5.10), no issue with foot end sleeping bag contact with tent walls.

Furlough

Teacher & Snacktime
01-05-2019, 14:06
Neither is actually freestanding, but with an extra pole construct they can easily be made so. The Hornet...no question. I love BA, but hate that top opening, and the Hornet just seems roomier. BTW....I bought both and gave the Flycreek away.

Heliotrope
01-08-2019, 16:52
I was in the same dilemma and went with the hornet 2p versus fly creek 2p for the convenience of side entry and the seemingly better ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk