PDA

View Full Version : How did we ever do without it

MuddyWaters
01-03-2019, 18:33
The "campsite torch".

For when you feel the need for a little soldering on the trail i guess.

Dont get excited...for propane only right now.

Good for frozen water bottles, and double as a backup handheld stove , firestarter, and tent heater

perdidochas
01-03-2019, 19:02
The "campsite torch".

For when you feel the need for a little soldering on the trail i guess.

Dont get excited...for propane only right now.

Good for frozen water bottles, and double as a backup handheld stove , firestarter, and tent heater

I wonder how the prices compare with the same thing in the hardware section?

A couple of years ago, I looked at the huge carabiners with foam padding in the baby section at Wal-Mart. They were about $5. Same exact product at the same store but in different packaging was $2 in the hardware section.

Sarcasm the elf
01-03-2019, 19:54
I’ve always found a simple creme-brulee torch to be sufficient for the A.T. :D

GaryM
01-03-2019, 19:57
Maybe to start counter burns in case of a forest fire??? :banana

petedelisio
01-04-2019, 10:34
That's old camp hack.
I'm surprised they're just finally capitalizing on it.

Rain Man
01-04-2019, 12:11
Gotta admit, I like the little pressurized cigarette lighters for lighting alcohol stoves, which sorta requires a lighter to be upside down.

HandyRandy
01-04-2019, 12:22
That's old camp hack.
I'm surprised they're just finally capitalizing on it.

I still don’t get it. What is the hack?

HandyRandy
01-04-2019, 12:32
Good for frozen water bottles, and double as a backup handheld stove , firestarter, and tent heater.

Frozen water bottles:
Only if you happen to use single wall metal bottles in winter.

Backup handheld stove:
Seems like it would be better to just carry a backup stove.

Firestarter:
I suppose this is an improvement, but not worth it to carry just for that alone.

Tent heater:
Why not use your stove as a heater?

Deadeye
01-04-2019, 12:57
Gotta admit, I like the little pressurized cigarette lighters for lighting alcohol stoves, which sorta requires a lighter to be upside down.
Try an Optimus “Sparky”, solves that problem, and the mini-bid becomes the backup.

Deadeye
01-04-2019, 13:06
Mini- BIC, darned auto-correct

bigcranky
01-04-2019, 13:16
A couple of years ago, I looked at the huge carabiners with foam padding in the baby section at Wal-Mart. They were about $5. Same exact product at the same store but in different packaging was $2 in the hardware section.

I'm trying to picture how I would use a giant foam-padded carabiner on my baby.

HooKooDooKu
01-04-2019, 15:00
I wonder how the prices compare with the same thing in the hardware section?
Basically... same price...
The item pictured above is Bernzomatic WC2301C and can be found at Target for about $15.
The cheapest push button start torch at Lowe's is Bernzomatic WC3201 (notice no 'C' at the end) for about $17.

As for purpose... I've been "camping" with people who brought an ax (full size) and something like this. It was only a weekend hike where the gear only had to be carried a couple of miles before setting up a multi-night campsite. The ax was used to chop hunks of wood from a dead tree, the torch as used to start camp fires without having to deal with tinder, kilning, or other types of fire starters (just light the full size logs strait from the torch).

AtomicLlama
01-04-2019, 17:46

Hook the carabiner through the diaper bag handles, then hang it off of the handlebar of the stroller.

Puddlefish
01-04-2019, 21:15
This brings back memories at just how terrible my dad was at lighting the charcoal grill in the backyard. He's go through cans of lighter fluid, Sunday newspapers that turned to ash and blocked all the air, an electric element abomination that melted itself to death, and he even resorted to the propane torch while just standing around for 10 minutes holding the torch.

Grill lit yet? NO!

I use the single sheet of newspaper rubbed with vegetable/olive oil and crumpled into a ring method. Works like a candle. 100% one match effectiveness. Dad switched to propane.

Traffic Jam
01-04-2019, 21:24
Useful if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a baby carrier.

:)