PDA

View Full Version : Frugal Thruhiking

LShuman024
01-05-2019, 23:46
I'm new to this page, but I figured it would be the best place for advice and knowledge about the trail. My boyfriend and I are planning to hike nobo in spring of next year. We're both pretty frugal, as we've had to deal with financial hardships in the past. Additionally, we prefer the DIY approach as often as we can. I'm working on learning as much as possible about mail drops. My question is...is it possible to survive solely on mail drops for food source?
I do understand that things happen and resupplying in towns may be needed due to accidents, weather, falling behind schedule, etc.
My goal is to buy bulk foods and get a decent inventory of dry foods (oatmeal, dried fruits, etc.) and separate them into boxes that would be enough for a week's worth of food for an average of 6 months. Our families have agreed to mail these for us.
We plan on saving as much money as possible before starting our thru hike, but we would like to use as little funds as possible.

I'd love to hear any advice or opinions on this matter.

Gambit McCrae
01-06-2019, 00:05
Lets say it takes you a day longer to get to town to pick up your package? And that day falls on a sunday. You now have to either backtrack and camp in the woods waiting for the PO to open the next day or get a hotel room.

Your also going to buy bulk food, fyi that bulk food is gunna get old from a taste standpoint. Even if you love the food while your at home, your taste will change while on the trail.

Long story short, mail drops are out of date and you will find that mail drops have become a thing that loved ones mail to their hikers which contain mostly not desired things or impractical items. I whitnessed it many times this past year. Just resupply as you go

welcone to WB! :)

Slo-go'en
01-06-2019, 00:30
There are good reasons to do mail drops, but saving money is not one of them. A Medium sized flat rate priority box costs nearly $14. That adds up quickly. And as Gambit pointed out, all that bulk food gets tiring pretty quickly too. Then there is the missing package problems, the didn't get mailed in time problems, didn't get to the PO in time problems. In the end it becomes a royal PITA.

Finally what happens if you only last a week on the trail? It's more common then you think. Now you have a 6 month supply of food your probably not going to ever eat.

Buy local and support the communities you pass through. That usually ends up being the Dollar General or Walmart, but it's the thought that counts :)

capehiker
01-06-2019, 00:52
I will add that leaving in late April/early May is another way to save money. For one, the temperatures are better and you’ll avoid the major ice storms that take hikers off trail for multiple days in Feb/March but also you can start and end with the same gear.

Thru hiking costs money. You can minimize the costs by limiting town stops and zeros but keep in mind there’s a level of financial costs that incur (shoes, clothes, etc). If you and the bf are even remotely social butterflies, you might as well add more funds to the budget to account for town stays and beers.

Emerson Bigills
01-06-2019, 01:12
I will let you determine the financial impacts of what I share. I had maildrops from home sent to me about every 10 to 14 days. It usually contained Mtn House dehydrated meals for all trail evenings, snacks, chips, etc. This food was also supplemented by smaller resupplies in towns. Usually picking up items for lunch and those items that were more perishable. I also received equipment and clothing changes via this method as the weather changed.

I used hostels until I got into Mass, where I ended up using some post offices. The hostels are much easier because there are no restrictions on pickup. I made the selections before the hike for all of those through VA. From there north, I would just let my wife know at least a week before I thought I would arrive. Stopping in hostels about every 5 days or so was a key element to my mental strategy and maintaining a positive approach. It played a huge role in my success.

I finished my hike in 140 days, taking 12 zeros. I was doing a good job on spending, until my crew started slack packing a bit in New England. I spent more money on shuttles and was in towns more frequently when we started that. You don't spend any money when you are not in town. I spent a little over $5K, but think I could have easily done it for $4k, if I had slacked less up north and had a desire to watch my expenses. Frankly, I didn't care what I spent once I got past NY. I was loving every chance to eat real food and enjoy a clean place to rest and relax. Good luck.

fiddlehead
01-06-2019, 01:12
Here's what I do on some trails (especially ones far away from my home)
look for bigger towns to resupply in and take a day off (or at least a half day), then go to the supermarket and buy your supplies for about 4 or 5 mail drops. Then mail them to the next 4 or 5 places you wish to resupply in.
Don't necessarily use PO's to send to for your drops, but some hostels or places along side the trail are also available for mailing boxes to. (because of the weekend problem)
That way, you get what you like because you very well might get tired or sick of the stuff that you thought you liked but now don't any longer.
And your shipping fees are much less because you are mailing them from close by.
Keep them under 4 lbs and shipping is much cheaper also.
You don't need those medium flat rate boxes usually and even if you do, it's a lot cheaper to mail one of those to 100 miles away than it is from GA to ME or similar.
This method takes a little longer on the trail but saves money and you get what you crave.
We even do this for overseas hikes sometimes.

Venchka
01-06-2019, 01:20
It’s easy to find bulk foods along the way. Bob’s Red Mill products are more common than you might think. I eat their oatmeal and 5 Grain cereal with bulk dried fruit every morning. Doing the same on the trail would be easy.
DIY dried quick cook foods are out there. You just have to look.
Ordering online and collecting from Walmart is easy for those towns along the trail that have a Walmart.
Off the top of my head in my pantry right now: Nido dry milk, Instant refried beans, Minute Rice, Jerky, Oatmeal, Grits, Mashed potatoes, Cranberries, Raisins, Cherries, Cliff, Lara and Kind bars, peanut butter, the list goes on.
Even Dollar Stores have organic treats now.
Y’all will figure it out.
Wayne

gracebowen
01-06-2019, 02:01
I'm in the minority here. I absolutely think it's way cheaper to mail food. I've packed several sample boxes.

In every box I was able to put 5 days worth of food that cost $20-$30.

Let's say they were large boxes that cost $20 and they had 30 worth of food. That's $50 for 5 days of food.
That's $300 a month for food.

This was all store bought things like ramen, Pringles, granola bars, knorr sides, potatoes etc.

By dehydrating foods myself I'm sure I could lower cost. I'm sure you can too.

As for getting sick of the food you can pack a variety of boxes and or just resolve to eat what you have. I'm used to that.

I also plan to eat 2 days worth of town food every week for variety.

I've read numerous trail journals where people mention resupply from convenience stores cidting about $40 for just 3 days worth of food.

Exact $ ammounts rough estimates.

gracebowen
01-06-2019, 02:03
Oh and I'm HF head start flip flop on or about May 1 2020

Dogwood
01-06-2019, 03:22
Two of the most consequential approaches on doing frugal thru hikes are: 1) doing a speedy thru hike 2) starting a NOBO AT thru hike later, as in early May. Combining these two approaches together offer thriftiness of time, finances, and conservation of other resources. To execute these approaches efficiently typically requires prerequisites or meeting prior supporting conditions.

You can save money, perhaps on trail time, eat wonderfully without getting bored with taste, and not waste food by preparing and mailing resupply boxes but I don't suggest you primarily take that approach to financial frugality.

garlic08
01-06-2019, 08:19
Ditto what Dogwood says about time on trail. If you get into good hiking shape and start early May, spend most of the longer summer days walking, take few town days, you'll have an inexpensive hike. I did it about ten years ago for $3500, including transport to and from, replacement shoes and socks, and lots of restaurant meals.

And ditto what's been said about mail drops. The last time I used one, over 15 years ago on the PCT, I came into town five minutes after the PO closed on Friday afternoon on a three-day holiday weekend, after stressing for days about it. It turned out the little market in town had plenty of stock. Mail drops became a seldom used tactic after that. I didn't do a single one on the AT.

Roughly half my hike cost was on food. I spent about $800 on trail rations for my AT hike. (My hiking partner spend nearly double that on more expensive packaged mostly junk food crap. There are ways to be frugal in a small market.) I supplemented trail food with about $700 in restaurant meals. I didn't skimp on that, except I didn't buy any alcoholic beverages.

It's been mentioned, but you cannot know what your appetite will be after a month or two on the hike.

Slumgum
01-06-2019, 08:45
On my thru hike of the Long Trail I did drop boxes. The above responses are correct in pointing out that your affinity for certain foods will change to some extent. Still, I plan on doing drop boxes on the AT next year. I dehydrated much of my own organic food and nothing I could buy in the local grocery stores would come close in cost, flavor, or quality. The postal service has made deep cuts in their budget. PO hours are limited especially in small towns. That was the biggest pain; having to wait for the PO to open or rushing to get there before closing. As much as I fantasized about restaurant food on the trail, the couple of times I indulged were largely a disappointment both in cost and taste.

Costs really escalate when you start staying in town. I almost always supplemented my drops with purchases of a small amount of fresh food at the local grocery stores. Apples never tasted so good!

peakbagger
01-06-2019, 08:47
IMHO the best way to save is never stay in town. Camp a few miles from the road crossing into town the night before, skip breakfast then head into town in the AM, one person does the laundry while the other resupplys at a local store, splurge on an early lunch preferably by buying some cold cuts at the deli and some rolls at the grocery store or if you are lucky hit the salad bar if there is one then head out of town in the afternoon with some fresh food for supper and camp on the trail that night. Younger solo hikers have a tough time with this as they usually are hiking with a "pack" of folks and the temptation is to take a zero when everyone else does. Skipping town increases your trail miles and cuts back on expenses.

As mentioned some rural post offices have limited days and hours, make sure you have up to date info. I used to live near the Gorham NH PO and would see folks sitting at the door on Monday AM waiting for it to open as they got into town too late on Saturday.

There are pretty standard recommendations on where mail drops make sense due to lack of local stores, I dont know if they have changed but I think Fontana Dam, Glencliff NH and Caratunk Maine were a few of them as there are no local stores for resupply. Note sure if the POs are still there or have reasonable hours.

Lone Wolf
01-06-2019, 09:03
i've known folks that got together 20+ mail drops and never make it out of georgia. your chances of making it to maine aren't very good. better to buy as you go

lonehiker
01-06-2019, 09:56
Yes you can do it that way if you so desire. As mentioned above in a couple of places, mail to businesses as opposed to the PO. My only comment is that resupplying this way doesn't allow you as much flexibility as a purchase as you go strategy would.

bigcranky
01-06-2019, 10:21
You'll want to send the packages via Priority Mail. They get to most places in 2 days, 3 at the most. Also, that way if you miss one, the PO will forward it for free. The logistics of that can get complicated, but it does work. Of course Priority Mail is expensive.

After doing it both ways, we've stopped using mail drops on long hikes on the AT. Many years ago, mail drops were often the only way to get food in some places on the trail, but with the growth in mountain communities along the AT, it's easy to find a large grocery store with a good selection of food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. (This is not the case on some trails out West.) We stopped for all the reasons mentioned above -- mailing cost, P.O. hours, inability to gauge our hunger in advance (had several times when we had far too much food in a drop), lack of variety, lack of fresh food. We also did one long hike with our kid that we ended after a week and had to figure out how to get all the mail drops back.

But there are still people who have successful thru-hikes using mail drops.

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2019, 10:23
If you do wind up mailing to Post Offices here's an edited cut and paste from a prior post of mine a number of years ago: (Info is from my wife who used to work at White River Jct, VT, P.O.)

4eyedbuzzard

11-22-2015, 07:32
USPS regulations instruct offices to hold general delivery mail for up to 30 days - but that isn't a minimum. In practice this means that post offices will hold packages from between 14 and 30 days. If their hike is delayed, thru-hikers should call the PO and let them know approximately when they will be in, or give forwarding instructions.

Typically, post offices that are in AT trail towns are very aware of thru-hikers and go out of their way to hold packages, and many will simply hold them until the end of the NOBO thru-hike season, especially in the north. In my wife's former office in VT they kept thru-hiker boxes on a separate section of shelving and would return to sender any unclaimed 1st class or above boxes in late October/early November to clear space for the increased holiday season mail. [Late season SOBO's take note: Put an anticipated pick up date on any mail drops for this reason.] If they were sent First Class or Priority, and no one made contact, they will without further info generally be returned to the sender's address as Unclaimed - Addressee abandoned or failed to call for mail.

Many USPS employees are supportive and enjoy hearing from thru-hikers as they pass though. BUT, the USPS is undergoing a lot of changes. Small offices are cutting back hours; and as Postmasters retire or leave their office, they are now sometimes being replaced by staff from non-trail towns and displaced district office people who have little actual experience running an actual office. So there is that chance the person running the office is unaware of what through the years has typically been preferential treatment of thru-hiker boxes.

Private businesses like hostels, etc., are a whole different matter. Call and find out.

Some basic USPS info:
1) Mark all boxes "Please Hold for AT Thru-hiker".
2) If you aren't going to claim a package within two weeks of it's arrival at the PO, CALL and let them know or send a post card/letter to the Postmaster requesting forwarding. Make a list of trail PO's and their contact info, and hours of course. USPS will forward 1st class and Priority to a P.O. further up the trail or back to sender with no charge provided you haven't taken possession of it. If you arrive in town and DON'T want the package at that time, don't ask for the package at the counter and then decide later to ask to forward it. Make sure the clerk understands you want to forward it right away without YOU claiming/accepting delivery of the package! Technically, if you don't OPEN it, you can "refuse" delivery, and have it scanned again as "forwarded". But there are some P.O. employees who are less than well trained. Best to stay ahead of the curve...
3) Fuel (iso-butane canisters, alcohol, Esbit) cannot be sent Priority Mail or First Class (even if you mark it Ground Only ORM-D). It can ONLY be sent by Retail Ground (the old names were "parcel post" and "standard post"), marked as Ground Only ORM-D, and there are lots of packaging and quantity restrictions. Best bet - just don't mail such stuff - even the P.O. employees get confused on what type and quantities of flammables can be mailed.

Slumgum
01-06-2019, 11:27
One other point: The post master at one of my drops told me my box was almost returned because I addressed it "General Delivery". My only saving grace was that I noted on the box I was hiking the Long Trail. She said regulations have changed and they no longer do general delivery. Not sure what is the correct way to address drop boxes, but get the latest regs before you ship your boxes.

fastfoxengineering
01-06-2019, 12:41
I spent so much money on food on my AT thru hike I was surprised. I think its gotten much more expensive over the past few years. People who did mail drops and made it to Maine saved money from what I saw.

MOST hikers who made it to maine that I know spent 1,000 - 1,500 a month for everything. Every hiker I know was like yeah.. spent way more than I thought or wanted to.

Most I talked to spent between 6-8k by the end. Lots of 6 to 6.5 month hikers were in the 8k range. And they were also surprised because they werent just blowing money. They were doing a normal hike. Hostel stays every so often. Going to a restaurant when in town. Resuppling at whatever store was in town. Taking a zero here and there.

Restaurants are insanely expensive. Hostels, motels, and hotels are expensive. Hostels really arent cheap anymore.

Looking back on it I wanted to spend about 4k. I planned one hostel stay a week, about $15-$20 a day for food and not drinking alot, I still spent about 6k and I was watching my finances.

People tend to forget how much 5 pairs of shoes cost. Or the new hiker who has to change out gear because they didnt know.

That deluge of rain in VA and the heat wave in NY drove so many hikers off the trail. Its easier to say youll just suck it up, of course until your running out of food.

I always hear hikers saying good quality bulk food is easy to find on the AT. That was not my experience. In fact, down south, everyone lived out of dollar general. It wasnt pleasant. And it wasnt cheap if you went for "healthy" options.

And when you finally have a Walmart or a real grocery store... its expensive because you have to buy more than you need.

Hiker boxes dont exist at a certain point. Food wise.

Small town grocers are expensive.

There is no inexpensive way to resupply in Andover, ME for instance. Getting three days of food is going to run you lots of money.

When i hear someone say they took 12-20 zeros and did it cheaply I dont see it. At least not in town. I know there is a good portion of free or inexpensive places to stay on the AT but its tough to just rely on that.

I dont necessarily think a fast thru hike would always mean cheaper. I know people who spent 2-3k a person just slackpacking the WHOLE trail. Which for the average person to have a fast thru hike.. they need to slackpack. Even carrying an ultralight kit... most people cant do 30s with that much food.

If you decided to never go into town, stealth camp (probably illegally lots of the time) your way thru, only get free showers and whats available in the woods, never do real laundry, and do all your resupplying/organization/charging in front of the gas station then youd be looking at a cheaper hike. A cheap thru hike can be mentally draining. It's not always reasonable to get into town, do your chores, and get back out there too.

I was stuck in great barrington for 3 days cause my inflatable pad died and thermarest screwed me when they failed to ship my replacement. So i waited three days while they overnighted it. I stayed at the rec center for free but still had to feed myself for three days. Worst three days of my hike. I literally walked around gb for three days. My anxiety was thru the roof.

I think alot of it has to do with your own comfort limits as well with alot of the "free" places as well. Im not saying they are bad places, im not saying im not grateful they are there, however, are you okay sleeping in a bunk that looks like the sheets have never been stripped? Are you okay taking a shower in a stall thats never been cleaned? The best free place to sleep is in your tent.

Thats more of the reality of whats "free" on the AT. Youll even find yourself paying money for that sometimes.. buts its the only option other than getting back on trail.

Knowing what I know now... I could probably hike the AT again for much cheaper. But for your first thru hike.. its tough to do it cheaply when your rambling into these towns, you werent squared away for a LD hike in the first place, and didnt spend more time prepping.

I could of saved hundreds of dollars just by buying my shoes on sale in advance.

Hindsight is 50/50 though. I replaced my socks three times. I had to mail a bunch of crap home. Etc, etc. Just swapping out some cold gear for summer gear costs money via the usps.. and its not cheap.

On your first thru hike its easy to find yourself spending $10 here and $20 there.

Aiming for 4k per person is reasonable, but you might still run out of money due to circumstances out of your control. Hospital visit, gear replacement, you simply couldnt "rough" it enough, etc.

I think the trail is much more expensive than it was 10 years ago, something to consider.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Cheyou
01-06-2019, 13:13
Stay out of town . Wash on trail,you and clothes. Carry more days of food at a time so you don’t go into town as often. Buddy up when staying in town to split hotel bill. The dollar store sells healthy food . Most just don’t buy it. Take the bus if cheeper . Hike with your ATGear before you get to the AT so you know your gear fits, works and is warm enough. Stay out of town !

Dogwood
01-06-2019, 13:16
300 AT miles in PA and NJ. If you desire personally applicable backpacking advice, frugality, and knowledge go do those miles as multi day experiences. Then, come back. Ask a way.

Starchild
01-06-2019, 13:17
If you don't ship by Priority mail flat rate boxes it will help the budget as the packages will be pretty light, it's even cheaper if someone else is paying the shipping costs. I recall wanting to ship something and the flat rate was about $15, but by boxing it myself it was about $9. But also compare shipping and buying food to hiking further and perhaps longer hitches to cheaper resupply (aka Walmart) when possible.

Really a budget buster is town stays, so stay in the woods as much as possible to save. However that is missing some of the fun and social aspects of thru hiking. Skipping town stops should help one go a bit faster, so less days on trail is less food and saves money.

Really I would chose some points for a mail drop and others for cheaper resupply, do at least a combo as there are cheaper resupplies along the trail, but others that are expensive.

Tipi Walter
01-06-2019, 13:48
Frugal Hiking? That's all I did back in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Those were the days I either lived on the trail or was hitchhiking to the trail from different towns.

I pulled the Shenandoah section twice and remember hitching into Luray for food. And of course getting food in Hot Springs etc.

Do you really want to be frugal? Here's what I did---because my monthly cash allotment was $40. I know, it sounds impossible---but it ain't!!

** Live out of your backpack, literally. I was homeless in those years and had no at-home bills because I had no home. And no vehicle.

** Buy the cheapest gear you can find---goodwill clothing, walmart boots etc. Splurge only on a good sleeping bag and good tent.

** Learn about wild edibles and use them to augment meals, esp cooked meals.

** Get a decent cookstove that can simmer---and here's the secret---buy brown rice and lentils etc in BULK and slow cook these on simmer for an hour---white gas stove is what we all used---Svea 123s in fact---or Peak 1's---and you'll save a crapload of money by doing this. You just have to be willing to carry alot of grains and beans and alot of white gas. But it's frugal.

** Dumpster dive when the opportunity presents itself---and while in towns play street music for cash if you have an instrument---flute or recorder---or clarinet.

** Learn to live on oatmeal and raisins and peanut butter and peanuts---items usually available at every store.

** No need to rely on mail drops---I never did---because it crimps your freedom as store bought food is available almost everywhere if you're willing to hitch. And part of the adventure for me was not only backpacking the AT but also hitching off the AT and stealth camping around towns---to get food and to do street music.

Hosh
01-06-2019, 14:46
Frugal Hiking? That's all I did back in the late 1970s and 1980s.

Those were the days I either lived on the trail or was hitchhiking to the trail from different towns.

I pulled the Shenandoah section twice and remember hitching into Luray for food. And of course getting food in Hot Springs etc.

Do you really want to be frugal? Here's what I did---because my monthly cash allotment was $40. I know, it sounds impossible---but it ain't!!

** Live out of your backpack, literally. I was homeless in those years and had no at-home bills because I had to home. And no vehicle.

** Buy the cheapest gear you can find---goodwill clothing, walmart boots etc. Splurge only on a good sleeping bag and good tent.

** Learn about wild edibles and use them to augment meals, esp cooked meals.

** Get a decent cookstove that can simmer---and here's the secret---buy brown rice and lentils etc in BULK and slow cook these on simmer for an hour---white gas stove is what we all used---Svea 123s in fact---or Peak 1's---and you'll save a crapload of money by doing this. You just have to be willing to carry alot of grains and beans and alot of white gas. But it's frugal.

** Dumpster dive when the opportunity presents itself---and while in towns play street music for cash if you have an instrument---flute or recorder---or clarinet.

** Learn to live on oatmeal and raisins and peanut butter and peanuts---items usually available at every store.

** No need to rely on mail drops---I never did---because it crimps your freedom as store bought food is available almost everywhere if you're willing to hitch. And part of the adventure for me was not only backpacking the AT but also hitching off the AT and stealth camping around towns---to get food and to do street music.

The OP wants to thru hike the AT, not squat camp.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2019, 15:01
Staying out of town and washing on the trail is easier said then done. It is easier when it's warm or hot out though. If you start in March or early April, it will be month or two before that happens. If you do go with that option, do it a reasonable distance from the water source.

Having your hair cut short helps. It's easier to keep your head clean that way. I find if I can just wash my hands and face, that helps a lot. Rinsing out clothes to get the salt and grim out of them helps too. But every so often you'll need to take a real shower and wash clothes in a real washing machine.

Three years ago I hiked Harpers Ferry to NH and spent about $2 a mile when the dust settled. Which is pretty good for that section of trail. Only spent one night in a motel and only stayed at a couple of hostels, but still spent about $300 on lodging. The rest was food. I dropped over $100 for food at the AT deli in NY. Paid $1 for one Rama noodle pack. Which I never did end up eating.

All in all, it's real easy to hemorrhage money if your not real careful. And sometimes even if you are. I've meet more than a few who blew their whole budget by the time they got to the NOC, not even 200 miles in.

Tipi Walter
01-06-2019, 16:09

Thanks for going thru all my points and weighing the pros and cons.

fastfoxengineering
01-06-2019, 16:23
After all is said and done... we dont even know the op's actual budget.

Which kinda determines everything

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

AllDownhillFromHere
01-06-2019, 17:35
The things you miss with a finely-tuned ignore list.

evyck da fleet
01-06-2019, 18:02
The easiest way for a cheap thru is a fast thru. I spent less than most thrus I hiked with because I could hike 120 miles in five days instead of ten. My resupplies were about $60 instead of say $50 more them which allowed me to spend $30 more than them in town and still spend less. Doing more miles meant I could plan my resuplies around Walmart’s large grocery stores and Dollar Generals. I doubt buying in bulk would have saved much. Plus I got to change my meals according to my preference on the fly.

i did a few drops for maps and contacts at large towns on or near the trail. It would have been a pain time wise todo the whole trail that way, especially around holidays.

I split a couple of hotels and stayed mostly at hostels. You should be able to find people to split laundry with where everyone chips in a dollar. Don’t underestimate the mental charge from an unlimited warm shower.

i started late April finished late August so I had about as much sunlight as possible. I mostly hiked alone, all day, and got an early start. I can’t say I was frugal though as I spent more than I needed to but less than budgeted on side trips etc because my pace allowed for it.

Dogwood
01-06-2019, 18:41
To do a frugal thru hike this is one of the best I've ever heard.** Dumpster dive when the opportunity presents itself---and while in towns play street music for cash if you have an instrument---flute or recorder---or clarinet.

​As amusing and outlandish as the suggestion might sound the principle being relayed is if you really really want something and you are really really a frugality seeking DIYer you might have to go to extremes to get it even if it potentially means temporally acting like 'Kokopelli' Walter.:D
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e5/97/17/e59717d7cb64411e845afe251871272f.jpg

Slo-go'en
01-06-2019, 19:00
The OP is hiking with her boyfriend, so I have a feeling a fast thru hike isn't a real option. That could put a serious strain on the relationship, and thru hiking as a couple has enough challenges.

gracebowen
01-06-2019, 19:10
I'm working on getting more funds together for my hike but if I posted my current budget y'all would either tell me to stay home and wait a year or to enjoy my section hike.

It may very well be a section hike but afterwards I'll give an honest trip report. Maybe I will even write a book.

Crushed Grapes
01-06-2019, 19:22
i started late April finished late August so I had about as much sunlight as possible. I mostly hiked alone, all day, and got an early start.
What was your bubble situation (if any)? I'm starting the second weekend of March, and the appeal of much more daylight/bigger miles is really very attractive.

peakbagger
01-06-2019, 20:09
One thing I noticed in the early 2000s was that many of the small towns near the trail had lost their local supermarkets which were replaced with dollar general/save a buck type stores. Frequently there was a newer supermarket and/or Walmart with far more selection a few miles down the road farther away from the trail. I was car supported and found that I could resupply for far less just down the road. I would not be surprised if some local trail businesses do not just resupply from the same sources. They know that to most thru hikers that the price of convenience is worth the premium to a captive audience.

capehiker
01-06-2019, 20:23
What was your bubble situation (if any)? I'm starting the second weekend of March, and the appeal of much more daylight/bigger miles is really very attractive.

Not the person you were asking but the clocks move forward on March 10 this year so you’ll get some good daylight already. The one advantage to starting in March is the bear activity is minimal in the Smokeys. I started in mid May and it felt like half the shelters were closed in the Smokeys due to bear activity. There was a stretch that I had to do 20 miles between opened shelters.

Crushed Grapes
01-06-2019, 20:30
Not the person you were asking but the clocks move forward on March 10 this year so you’ll get some good daylight already. The one advantage to starting in March is the bear activity is minimal in the Smokeys. I started in mid May and it felt like half the shelters were closed in the Smokeys due to bear activity. There was a stretch that I had to do 20 miles between opened shelters.

I appreciate the feedback! The extra hour of daylight will help to hike in the cold haha

RockDoc
01-06-2019, 21:09
It's so funny, one AT hiker turns out to be multi-millionaire who just sold his company and the next doesn't have two nickels to rub together and yogis everybody... and often you can't tell the difference by looking at them.

lonehiker
01-06-2019, 22:54
I appreciate the feedback! The extra hour of daylight will help to hike in the cold haha

The clocks moving forward don't give you any more daylight...

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2019, 23:04
It's so funny, one AT hiker turns out to be multi-millionaire who just sold his company and the next doesn't have two nickels to rub together and yogis everybody... and often you can't tell the difference by looking at them.It isn't always cheap nor easy being a vagabond in the 21st century.

Feral Bill
01-06-2019, 23:12
The clocks moving forward don't give you any more daylight...Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's a secret.

Slo-go'en
01-06-2019, 23:27
The clocks moving forward don't give you any more daylight...

It just seems that way. There's the psychological effect of it not getting dark at until 7 PM instead of 6 PM.

But once you get used to rising with the sun and setting with the sun, the O'clock doesn't really matter any more. The real point is the closer you get to the summer solace, the more hours of daylight you have. And the farther north you are, the more hours of daylight you get. The hikes I did in the Canadian Rockies in July it didn't get dark until Midnight, so we didn't start hiking until noon.

Talk about thread creep...

evyck da fleet
01-06-2019, 23:31

The bubble was there but not a big deal after the first few days except for the in the Smokies. I caught the early April starters and with dayhikers two of the three shelters were overflowing. Avoiding Springer, Fontana, Barn near Roan Mtn and other popular shelters helped. I mostly camped near shelters. As long as there weren’t any partiers I didn’t care how many people were there.
If I wanted to do a fast hike again I’d probably start early May. Though mid late April gave me good enough weather for the Smokies it was still too close to the start that not all the pretenders had thinned from the heard.

I passed most of the bubble while they were in shelters. If there was another shelter within four miles of where I started it was usually still full when I hiked past or stopped for water. Same for people taking long lunch breaks or stopping early in the afternoon.

shelb
01-06-2019, 23:57
Food drops have been covered by many. I agree there is a plus an a minus for them. For me, a drop felt like Christmas when it worked out well! Yet, sometimes it didn't (rushing to make it before the PO closed, or making the PO after it closed.... - OR - the WORST: due to my current supplies, finding I didn't need 1/2 the food and just gave it away to others (although there is fun in that - just not cost efficient~). I don't "drop" anymore, unless there is something extremely special, such as meds or vitamins, etc.

Regarding savings on town stays... I agree that I tend to spend more money when I am with a "pack" - a Trail-family. It is a social time. I can save money by doing my own food (or some of it..to save on ordering as much in a restaurant) and by charming my group to get BYOB (even if we share) to bring back to a room or hostel: cheaper than drinking in an establishment.

As many mentioned, a "fast hike" later in the season would help with expenses. Start later - at the end of April, but make sure you are in tip-top condition. Many NOBO's start out hiking shelter to shelter (meaning they are only doing 5-10 miles per day) until they get their trail legs on. Get your trail legs on earlier by conditioning. I have found a stairclimber with my pack on is best (Keep your pack weight down - at least below 30 pounds with water and food). I do the step climber with my pack (have the weight down to 21 pounds) for two hours a day in the month prior to my section hikes, and once I hit the trail, I average 10-20 miles each day.

Good luck!

Dogwood
01-07-2019, 00:36

You could:

Start later. Use the time to get in better shape(physically, emotionally, psychologically, spiritually), dialed in, and to save up maybe more $$$. Be patient but apply the time wisely with an overall LD plan - YOUR PLAN - rather than a more chaotic Zombieing north towards Mt K - the supposed terminus of the AT - wondering where the next AT lean to is all the time or so and so's pocket UL guidebook or App says is water. Strongly consider limiting or even avoiding the mind numbing data, info, and opining overload sites like WhiteBlaze that overwhelming are based on advice given from the perspective of how someone else has done THEIR HIKE. You might have a greater adventure. Start in shape ready to go bigger from the get go. Better weather. Even more daylight. By not limiting yourself to backpacking during daylight that too can add to MPD Avgs and a faster overall(less total duration on trail) more rewarding hiking experience. Another thing shared many times before. Hike behind the bubble liberated from the Interstate AT NOBO Thru hiker congestion. 90+ at Springer Mt shelter, 8 in line to get H20, two with dogs simultaneously allowing their 'support pets' in the water to ruin and def ; 65- 75 at the Fontana Hilton, you're # 12 waiting to use the bathroom; 85+ at Ed Garvey Shelter. Eek. :datz Might as well do an urban 'hike' through Manhattan. :o Amp it up as you hit the masses. You'll be way ahead of the curve as you reach the tail. Blast through to get ahead of the masses. This is the agenda of some FKTers and speedier hikers. Don't do as the cookie cutter sheeple do if you don't desire a cookie cutter sheeple experience. BREAK OUT OF THE BOX! So easy to read or say it; so few do it.

*It's also an approach to a truly frugal thru hike. Frugality of finances, frugality of time, frugality of perhaps fewer town visits that tempt one to spend spend spend,....

This is not new information. It is not rare information. Consider embracing more adventure; break away from the everything has to be familiar and done before mindset. Don't turn your mind off! That's the cause of many problems...too many sheeple not willing to think outside of the common thru hike norms. That's what's been going on all the way back to Earl Shaffer, Bill Irwin, Grandma Gatewood, and..._______ Space reserved for you IF...

If WhiteBlaze had been around, as popular, and similar as it currently is Earl, Bill, and Emma may have never did what they did - exhibit creative intelligent will.

MuddyWaters
01-07-2019, 01:07
I will confirm again....the way to hike cheap is hike fast, stay out of town.

The problem with that, is your on vacation and would like to enjoy yourself.

Also problem, hiking fast, you cannot carry and eat enough food. You have to binge eat in town when hiking 20+ mpd, or you will waste away.

If you dont have the money.....wait until you do. Dont plan unrealistically.
$10-15 /day is easy to spend on trail food, if have a little jerky and couple candy or protein bars. $100/day in town aint hard either. Shoes and gear....another $1000.

Sometimes its thinking of that cheeseburger, fries, milkskake that gets you to town.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2019, 01:12
A fast hike maybe a more frugal hike, but it might not be the most enjoyable hike. Pounding out consistant 20+ mile days is more physically demanding and results in having to eat more food. You also have to do a lot more camping between shelters to get in those extra miles and that can be challenging. In some places illegal. It's also a much more solitary hike as your not camping at shelters very often and moving faster then most of the others.

There's also increased risk of injury by pushing hard. Many mishaps occur at the end of the day when your tired. I meet a guy in NY who had been pushing 30-40 mile days for some reason and was complaining his feet really hurt. Turns out he had some serious stress fractures which took him off the trail.

Maybe, just maybe, you like hanging around the campfire with a bunch of others and just wandering up the trial at a moderate pace. Or wasting an hour or two at a nice vista during the day with no pressure to do miles and miles.

But I will agree that starting out on the same day as 100 others is pretty crazy. So far I've been able to avoid that. One advantage of being a long distance section hiker.

Just another one of the many trade offs which has to be considered. As they say, HYOH. Which means find your own pace.

stephanD
01-07-2019, 09:38
Everything is more expensive north of DWG. No more $25-30 hostels up north. Food, transportation, lodging, everything cost at least double of what it cost in the south. Plan your budget accordingly, that is my advise.

garlic08
01-07-2019, 09:42
...Sometimes its thinking of that cheeseburger, fries, milkskake that gets you to town.

Dang, you forgot the pizza.

I'll add another ditto
To mastering the art of the near-o.

Puddlefish
01-07-2019, 10:14
First, I'm not complaining about hostel pricing, they're running a business and you are getting a solid value for the cost, you're paying for trail side convenience, and they need to meet their expenses, and make a profit.

But, for me, I spent a whole lot of my food budget at "cheap" hostels. A lot of them have piecemeal pricing. Cheap bunk. $5 for shower, $5 for laundry, a bit more for shampoo, and detergent. Sometimes these were included, sometimes not. It's entirely your choice what you decide to purchase. It was very easy for me to spend on the more expensive convenience food (Again, I'm not suggesting it was overpriced, because it wasn't. They had to travel, shop, purchase and stock shelves, all very real expenses. ) But, it was considerably more expensive than grocery stores. It's really easy to spend $50 for two meals at a trailside hostel. (in 2016 money) Frozen pizza, ice cream, chocolate milk x2, V8 x2, some nuts, some candy, a couple of microwave breakfast sandwiches, a big stickybun, and literally anything else tasty they have that's a break from dehydrated trail food.

Then of course, it's very tempting to resupply at that cheap hostel with "more expensive" dehydrated trail food, tuna packs, nuts, bars, and candy, because that might let you avoid another stop at the next town. It might even be cheaper to do so, as it might save you the cost of a shuttle, or it might not.

Maybe some people had the force of will to eat their packed in Ramen/Knorr sides at the hostels, but I sure didn't. All I'm really saying is budgeting food costs is really difficult when you're eating 5,000 calories a day, losing weight and are really hungry.

nsherry61
01-07-2019, 10:16
It's been mentioned once or twice above, but I think it's well worth amplifying the concern. If your idea is to save money by buying bulk and/or less expensive food to be shipped for resupply, the cost of shipping will likely kill any frugal food buying benefits. When you figure $10 to $20 added onto the price of every resupply box you send, plus adding the few boxes you miss or skip because timing of delivery and/or your arrival didn't work out, your savings all just disappeared and may well have become an added expense. Not to mention there is significantly increased workload for your preplanning, prepacking and communicating/coordinating your resupply along with the time and effort of whomever is managing your shipping. If you have access to corporate discount shipping through work so your shipping is about 1/2 what you would otherwise pay, you might make it come out ahead, but at what time and convenience cost?

Whatever you do, good luck and have fun!

peakbagger
01-07-2019, 10:29
I met a thruhiker in his seventies in NH long ago. His theory was hike from dawn to dusk at a slow pace. He would be up and on the trail by the time the sun rose in front of the shelter and would stop to camp right around sunset. He observed that the folks who had stayed with at the shelter would catch up with him in the AM and then he would pass them in the PM at a shelter as he got in his extra hours. If there wasn't shelter near where he was planning to camp he might stop at the shelter for supper to use the water source and the picnic table but he would then put on his gear and keep hiking until sunset.

A unrelated thought is folks advocate sending supply boxes to places than Post Offices. Remember that the vast majority of those non post office options are in business and will make it quite tempting to spend a few bucks or an overnight. Some legitimately charge for folks who are not staying while some don't really care. There is no option to refuse the package and get it sent forward at any place other than a PO.

RuthN
01-07-2019, 10:46
You could:

Start later. Use the time to get in better shape(physically, emotionally, psychologically, spiritually), dialed in, and to save up maybe more $$$. Be patient but apply the time wisely with an overall LD plan - YOUR PLAN - rather than a more chaotic Zombieing north towards Mt K - the supposed terminus of the AT - wondering where the next AT lean to is all the time or so and so's pocket UL guidebook or App says is water. Strongly consider limiting or even avoiding the mind numbing data, info, and opining overload sites like WhiteBlaze that overwhelming are based on advice given from the perspective of how someone else has done THEIR HIKE. You might have a greater adventure. Start in shape ready to go bigger from the get go. Better weather. Even more daylight. By not limiting yourself to backpacking during daylight that too can add to MPD Avgs and a faster overall(less total duration on trail) more rewarding hiking experience. Another thing shared many times before. Hike behind the bubble liberated from the Interstate AT NOBO Thru hiker congestion. 90+ at Springer Mt shelter, 8 in line to get H20, two with dogs simultaneously allowing their 'support pets' in the water to ruin and def ; 65- 75 at the Fontana Hilton, you're # 12 waiting to use the bathroom; 85+ at Ed Garvey Shelter. Eek. :datz Might as well do an urban 'hike' through Manhattan. :o Amp it up as you hit the masses. You'll be way ahead of the curve as you reach the tail. Blast through to get ahead of the masses. This is the agenda of some FKTers and speedier hikers. Don't do as the cookie cutter sheeple do if you don't desire a cookie cutter sheeple experience. BREAK OUT OF THE BOX! So easy to read or say it; so few do it.

*It's also an approach to a truly frugal thru hike. Frugality of finances, frugality of time, frugality of perhaps fewer town visits that tempt one to spend spend spend,....

This is not new information. It is not rare information. Consider embracing more adventure; break away from the everything has to be familiar and done before mindset. Don't turn your mind off! That's the cause of many problems...too many sheeple not willing to think outside of the common thru hike norms. That's what's been going on all the way back to Earl Shaffer, Bill Irwin, Grandma Gatewood, and..._______ Space reserved for you IF...

If WhiteBlaze had been around, as popular, and similar as it currently is Earl, Bill, and Emma may have never did what they did - exhibit creative intelligent will.

Are those numbers real???

Emerson Bigills
01-07-2019, 11:05
This is one of the best thru-hiking threads I have seen in some time. Really good input from lots of experienced folks. I will add a couple more comments for your consideration.

There are many reasons on many days to go home. No shame in that. But odds are against you from the beginning, so don't back yourself into a corner. Most people invest a great amount of time, money, energy and passion in getting to the trail. I think going out there with less than $3k would be extremely difficult. Having a $4k budget would be very doable, using some of the tips provided in this thread, primarily moving at a good clip and being cautious about how much time and money you spend in towns.

At the end of the day, there is no one way to thru hike the AT. If you can imagine it, some crazy person has done it. Hell, one guy carried a tuba. You have to eat and you will need some "rewards" along the way to lift your spirits. Give yourself some latitude for these. It is very much a mental/emotional test. Some of my best memories of the trail were in towns/hostels. Good luck.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2019, 11:12
Meet Grandfather! I met him in 2017 in the Roan Highlands. He claimed that he was on his 3rd AT Thru Hike in a row and he only had 11 more to do after that year. He said every year he allotted himself $1000 for the journey from Maine to Georgia. AND he was quite excited because that year he had an extra $40 to spend because the previous year he had only spent $960. Now that is called being comfortably homeless (IMO) seeing that he intentionally took 7 months to complete the walk every year.

Tipi Walter
01-07-2019, 11:29
Meet Grandfather! I met him in 2017 in the Roan Highlands. He claimed that he was on his 3rd AT Thru Hike in a row and he only had 11 more to do after that year. He said every year he allotted himself $1000 for the journey from Maine to Georgia. AND he was quite excited because that year he had an extra $40 to spend because the previous year he had only spent $960. Now that is called being comfortably homeless (IMO) seeing that he intentionally took 7 months to complete the walk every year.

Nothing wrong with being homeless and a backpacker. As I said, when you're backpacking and hiking and don't have a house or a vehicle or bills associated with these things you can live cheap. Old codgers seem to get this message more than others---I guess they see the value of becoming forest hobos---an honorable title in my opinion. I mean, we're all Neanderthals at our roots---and belong outdoors.

And Grandfather's 7 month thruhikes is wonderful---the longer the better. Heck, once a backpacker gets social security he can live out permanently and depend on his monthly check for everything.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2019, 13:44
Nothing wrong with being homeless and a backpacker. As I said, when you're backpacking and hiking and don't have a house or a vehicle or bills associated with these things you can live cheap. Old codgers seem to get this message more than others---I guess they see the value of becoming forest hobos---an honorable title in my opinion. I mean, we're all Neanderthals at our roots---and belong outdoors.

And Grandfather's 7 month thruhikes is wonderful---the longer the better. Heck, once a backpacker gets social security he can live out permanently and depend on his monthly check for everything.

I would like to add that I in no way am judging Grandfather. I think his ability and mental game is rock solid. I don't think I could do it

Dogwood
01-07-2019, 13:45
Are those numbers real???

Yup. Personally experienced. Do consider those are key congregating sites with larger lean tos.

Boardin12
01-07-2019, 16:12
We didn’t send any resupply boxes to ourselves when we did our thru hike last year and we loved not having to be tied down to a schedule like that although some places are ridiculously expensive (Fontana, Neels Gap etc.). If we would ever do this again (and we won’t!!) we would order resupplies from zerodayresupply.com. As good as sending resupplies to yourself without having to worry about getting sick of oatmeal packets that you thought would be good when you bought 6 months worth of it. (Don’t know if I will ever be able to enjoy oatmeal again). We didn’t actually get any resupplies through them but there prices seem reasonable. So don’t know how they are to work with but may be worth checking out.

One bit of caution/advice. Gear doesn’t keep you on the trail. Your mind does. You might need to spend more than you think on food to keep your head in the game. It’s easy to think you can get by cheap when your not that hungry at home. Half starved on the trail is a little different story!!

And good luck on your journey!! It’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tipi Walter
01-07-2019, 17:17
We didn’t send any resupply boxes to ourselves when we did our thru hike last year and we loved not having to be tied down to a schedule like that although some places are ridiculously expensive (Fontana, Neels Gap etc.). If we would ever do this again (and we won’t!!) we would order resupplies from zerodayresupply.com. As good as sending resupplies to yourself without having to worry about getting sick of oatmeal packets that you thought would be good when you bought 6 months worth of it. (Don’t know if I will ever be able to enjoy oatmeal again). We didn’t actually get any resupplies through them but there prices seem reasonable. So don’t know how they are to work with but may be worth checking out.

One bit of caution/advice. Gear doesn’t keep you on the trail. Your mind does. You might need to spend more than you think on food to keep your head in the game. It’s easy to think you can get by cheap when your not that hungry at home. Half starved on the trail is a little different story!!

And good luck on your journey!! It’s awesome!

As far as oatmeal goes---I love it. Never gets old. On trips I often eat it for dinner as it's a change of pace from my usual salty dehydrated meals. Heck, carry 10 lbs of oatmeal and go to a town once every two weeks. Wild edibles also mix well in cooked oats---esp wild mustard greens and violets and chickweed. And a pot of oatmeal accepts cream cheese and/or cheese and butter and peanut butter and almond/cashew butter and honey etc. One more big bonus---You can cold soak oatmeal and eat it w/o cooking. All Hail Therefore the Humble Oat etc.

Regarding your next quote---
"Gear doesn’t keep you on the trail. Your mind does."

I read something similar from a guy named Spirit Eagle in his "Thru Hiking Papers". He says---

""The Trail isn't about equipment, it's a head game---and a heart game." "If you start The Trail with that realization, you'll increase your chances of finishing immeasurably"

"Your 'attitude' is infinitely more important than what pack or stove or water filter you're carrying."

Infinitely more important? Tell that to a winter backpacker at -10F in a 50mph blizzard sitting inside his 4 season tent and wrapped in his -20F down sleeping bag. In such a scenario if I had "attitude" on the one hand and "sleeping bag" in the other, I'd always pick the sleeping bag. Survival is often all about gear and equipment and less about attitude. Just my opinion of course.

blue indian
01-07-2019, 17:54
I hope this is helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmenhoCLA5k&t=22s

Boardin12
01-07-2019, 19:38
As far as oatmeal goes---I love it. Never gets old. On trips I often eat it for dinner as it's a change of pace from my usual salty dehydrated meals. Heck, carry 10 lbs of oatmeal and go to a town once every two weeks. Wild edibles also mix well in cooked oats---esp wild mustard greens and violets and chickweed. And a pot of oatmeal accepts cream cheese and/or cheese and butter and peanut butter and almond/cashew butter and honey etc. One more big bonus---You can cold soak oatmeal and eat it w/o cooking. All Hail Therefore the Humble Oat etc.

"Gear doesn’t keep you on the trail. Your mind does."

I read something similar from a guy named Spirit Eagle in his "Thru Hiking Papers". He says---

""The Trail isn't about equipment, it's a head game---and a heart game." "If you start The Trail with that realization, you'll increase your chances of finishing immeasurably"

"Your 'attitude' is infinitely more important than what pack or stove or water filter you're carrying."

Infinitely more important? Tell that to a winter backpacker at -10F in a 50mph blizzard sitting inside his 4 season tent and wrapped in his -20F down sleeping bag. In such a scenario if I had "attitude" on the one hand and "sleeping bag" in the other, I'd always pick the sleeping bag. Survival is often all about gear and equipment and less about attitude. Just my opinion of course.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against oatmeal. I’m happy you like it. My point was you don’t want to buy six months worth of something only to find out you get sick of it after two weeks. I don’t like oatmeal anymore, doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just my personal preference.

Also I didn’t say your attitude is INFINITELY more important. They are both very important.
Although if you want to argue,(and I don’t) your mind keeps you on the trail, but your gear keeps you alive!!

Hosh
01-07-2019, 20:34
As far as oatmeal goes---I love it. Never gets old. On trips I often eat it for dinner as it's a change of pace from my usual salty dehydrated meals. Heck, carry 10 lbs of oatmeal and go to a town once every two weeks.

"Gear doesn’t keep you

You do realize that THRU HIKERS walk more than 1.5 miles per day and don’t squat for a week waiting for their pack weight to be reduced from eating, lol.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2019, 20:48
Just to clarify, I have nothing against oatmeal. I’m happy you like it. My point was you don’t want to buy six months worth of something only to find out you get sick of it after two weeks. I don’t like oatmeal anymore, doesn’t mean it’s bad. Just my personal preference.
Also I didn’t say your attitude is INFINITELY more important. They are both very important.
Although if you want to argue,(and I don’t) your mind keeps you on the trail, but your gear keeps you alive!!
Yep. Good gear will keep you alive and on the trail. Bad gear, or poor choices for gear, may not do either. But if your gear is adequate, in the long run it's a mental game. Can you deal with the monotony and the pain for months on end?

I'm not a big oatmeal fan either. It's light, it's cheap but it doesn't do much for me. I can't eat enough to get enough calories. Yeah, you can add a bunch of stuff to it like nuts and fruit, but then it isn't cheap or light anymore. Give me a 600 calorie honey bun and I'll dance up the trail for a good couple of hours.

Dogwood
01-07-2019, 23:22
I hope this assists someone. It's detailed but could offer personally applicable insight in what is a complex topic - what it cost to thru hike.

Thru hikers should assess their likely personal expenditures and the process by which these accrue if they are to target financial frugality. Here are mine and what I have observed. YMMV:

The majority of my long distance backpacking expenditures in N America where I reside are food and overhead lodging. These two expenditure categories can blow up my on trail budget more than anything else. I suspect for those that do LD hike somewhat regularly this is also the case. More importantly seeking these these on trail cascades into accruing greater expenses.

I much prefer to account for the majority of my LD backpacking expenditures pre hike. This has multiple benefits once on trail for myself with ultimate cost savings one of the primary objectives. In analyzing how my expenses accrue I've found it's not accurate for me to say going in to town is the blame. It's how, why and what I do in town. It's the mindset and behavior I exhibit that is most responsible. If I can avoid or limit a spending and consumption oriented mentality that limits my expenses. One of the activities I realized that most triggered a spending mindset for myself is going in to town to buy food. Thinking about going in to town because I had to buy food triggered my spending and other behaviors that often were not supporting frugality and other thru hiking completion goals... It tended to escalate into getting a room, greater consumption, restaurant outings, gear purchases, ever greater self indulgence, etc. Basically, even before I stepped into town I was priming myself to accrue greater expenditures. If I can limit a spending mentality I tend to get in and out of town faster. But, even if I do stay in town I'm not focused on buying stuff, spending money. My primary focus can be worthy experiences instead of shopping. I can actually go into town and add to the thru hiking experience by engaging other worthy experiences that don't require major financial expenditures.

Most often in analyzing financial costs to mail resupply boxes it's stereotypical this is not considered. Most often folks analyze shipping costs and the 'stuff' in the box. I include considering my behavior and the processes by which it occurs and how I can be more responsible in directing it in saving money, time, impact on other resources, staying mentally strong, contributing to others, being a good trail ambassador, etc. I tend to focus less on my own desires that are triggered by shopping for myself. I call it thru hiking with intention with a bigger picture plan.

evyck da fleet
01-07-2019, 23:28
To add to the fast thru hike without hiking fast...

going to sleep at nine, waking at five and being on the trail by six gave me about thirteen hours to hike during the daylight and still set up by shelters without disturbing others. If I take two hours for lunch and breaks I can cover 25-27.5 miles a day by cruising at 2.5 mph. There’s a reason it’s called the green tunnel. Throw in the occasional 16 mile day when you do find that view point and averaging twenty for hiking days can be done comfortably.

I did try to plan 12 mile days into town by noon so I could load up on lunch dinner and breakfast before leaving the next day. I didn’t save a lot on food by hiking fast. I’m burning the same calories to hike 2190 miles but I did cut out the calories for the additional days I didn’t need to complete the trail. I saved money on town costs by missing every other one.

i probably only stayed at ten campsites including less than five unofficial and night hiked just once.

Dogwood
01-08-2019, 00:02
Some define mailing resupply boxes as food or creating unnecessary time delays and costs. I don't perceive boxes that way...and don't experience it that way. If someone is organizing a AT thru for financial frugality of typical 4.5 - 6 month duration perhaps they shouldn't either.

I mail using a hybrid approach for my own reasons - meds/hard to conveniently obtain supplements, stricter diet, saving precious on trail time attempting to locate harder to find items, and saving money on trail doing so. For myself, with my tendency towards Organic Foodie dieting ways I actually don't save much money if any on the food alone by mailing it. I gain convenience and eating a diet which I know supports my on trail and overall 'health' goals. The food can be one possible cost savings for others when done personally appropriately in some cases. For myself, and I suspect for some others, my possible "in the box" cost savings are the non food items. For example, I still prefer paper maps or supplementing with them on some hikes(maps bought while on trail can be expensive and hard to find the maps I prefer, time and money spent on trail I'd rather prefer not to experience), insect protection/bug juice, pricier and sometimes harder to find hygiene products(this can be important cost considerations perhaps more so for females, a cost which some men don't account), tweaking kits with gloves, fresh merino socks, trail runners, etc and things like Li batteries is where the larger costs savings cumulatively come in for me. These items can be expensive on trail in terms of costing more money and inconveniently costing more time trying to locate and time hassles/delays having gear shipped from gear manufacturers while on trail. Cumulatively, the most expensive items in a resupply box can be the non food items, hence can be the largest potential savings. YMMV.

A hybrid resupply approach offers me the greatest flexibility in cost savings, diversity, flexibility, convenience, on trail time management, and getting the items desired. Garlic talked about mastering the near "0." That's what mailing a box to key places where there's less risk of longer in town durations helps. I can get in, get out faster with less temptation of spending money in town. The longer I'm in a town and the more most are too the more we are often influenced to spend money. Again, the one place and activity I find myself most exposed is shopping for food and other items. Non food items were third. From what I can, while disregarding gear financial costs, that fits the majority of AT thru hiker on trail financial costs. If I can reduce those costs my on trail budget can be ridiculously minimalist. If I shared my on trail budgets I wouldn't be believed.

Here can be a typical in town scenario when in the LD "zone" for myself. I pick up my box first; head to the laundromat next. As laundry is being done I'm unpacking my box and doing any gear maintenance. Maybe, get a bite to supplement the on trail diet and I'm back out hiking or to the trail all in the same day...if I want. That doesn't have to be all the time. By allowing myself to judiciously buy along the way at larger grocery stores and at towns that I've anticipated support the items and style I prefer ON SOME OCCASIONS I get the flexibility of attaining maybe something I had not thought of or anticipated including in the mailed resupply box. We can't, no one can account for every possible situation. This way when I go into town or a resupply I'm not habituating my activities to shopping and spending or having to spend as much time there if I don't want. Supplementing food and supplies by doing smaller less focused on shopping in and outs or as I pass can do the similarly. One ancillary benefit is that it can address the "your tastes may change, you'll get bored with your food" often cited against mailing some boxes. This adds diversity and flexibility of possible food choices and tastes. It also allows for some tweaking of on trail dietary and dietary related performance concerns as one gets deeper into the thru hike. YMMV. Weigh your own pros and cons. You don't necessarily need to adopt other's opined dogma against recognizing benefits of mailing at least some resupply boxes for your own hike.

People complain and focus on challenges... and leave it at that. The world and Whiteblaze can be a negative oriented place. For success in LD hiking and in life it's good to understand potential problems. To be successful we have to find acceptable personal solutions...to move forward beyond majoring on the challenges. I've considered the common resupply box issues. There's an excellent article on AT resupply here on Whiteblaze done by Jack"Baltimore Jack" Tarlin. There's another article here on WhiteBlaze on how a thru hike was done for about $1000 done by Carrot Top(?). This is good info we can learn from without having to personally go through the trial and error learning process. Now find solutions to those problems presented in those articles that make it a workable situation for your hike. That's what I've done. That's HYOH! In mailing, as a guesstimate, some 250 resupply boxes in N America on 30K+ and counting backpacking miles(Yes that's correct, I count) I've had a TOTAL of three(3) boxes temporarily delayed, one(1) lost box, and had a TOTAL of four(that's 4) times(Yes I counted them) where I couldn't get in and out experiencing time delays by immediately obtaining a resupply box. OVERALL, weighing the pros and cons, for myself that vastly equates with spending less time than necessary in a town and being less exposed to being influenced to spend money. That's where the larger picture of on trail financial frugality is created for myself.

Dogwood
01-08-2019, 00:33
AT NOBO Thrus are typified as NB's. I was too so don't hate on me. I was once instructed "don't despise small beginnings." That was good advice considering how far so many have evolved as backpackers and in life's varied other endeavors. Consider Andrew Skurka and so many other serial LD backpackers first very long hike was on the AT, basically as Newbs. As such one of my greatest on trail expenditures as a NB on that first AT thru hike was new gear purchases. In hindsight, this financial expenditure could have been less if I had completed a wk backpacking trip, and two 5 night + trips would have been better, in yielding greater gear costs savings as well as other frugality goals prior to the AT NOBO thru hike.

Want greater efficiency and frugality on a thru hike start BEFORE the thru hike by doing some extended overnight backpacking trips. Those trips can translate well to an AT NOBO.

LShuman024
01-08-2019, 01:18
I agree about not staying in town. Honestly, we feel that if we are really that tired and are aching for a night in a real bed, we'd hike half the day since most hotels you can't check in until mid afternoon anyway. But my feeling is, the farther from town we are, the less likely we are to make bad choices financially. For example, we have what we need, but we get close to town, get a whiff of fresh cooked pizza, and poof! Our budget is blown and our bellies are full for one evening rather than a possible week's worth of supplies.

LShuman024
01-08-2019, 01:35
[QUOTE=Dogwood;2233734 People complain and focus on challenges... and leave it at that. The world and Whiteblaze can be a negative oriented place. For success in LD hiking and in life it's good to understand potential problems. To be successful we have to find acceptable personal solutions...to move forward beyond majoring on the challenges. I've considered the common resupply box issues. There's an excellent article on AT resupply here on Whiteblaze done by Jack"Baltimore Jack" Tarlin. There's another article here on WhiteBlaze on how a thru hike was done for about $1000 done by Carrot Top(?). This is good info we can learn from without having to personally go through the trial and error learning process. Now find solutions to those problems presented in those articles that make it a workable situation for your hike. That's what I've done. That's HYOH! In mailing, as a guesstimate, some 250 resupply boxes in N America on 30K+ and counting backpacking miles(Yes that's correct, I count) I've had a TOTAL of three(3) boxes temporarily delayed, one(1) lost box, and had a TOTAL of four(that's 4) times(Yes I counted them) where I couldn't get in and out experiencing time delays by immediately obtaining a resupply box. OVERALL, weighing the pros and cons, for myself that vastly equates with spending less time than necessary in a town and being less exposed to being influenced to spend money. That's where the larger picture of on trail financial frugality is created for myself.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for referencing the other articles. I will definitely seek those out. I agree that people tend to lean more towards the cons than the pros because we're a society that relies on its instant pleasures, but I feel like maybe I have a little more patience. I don't plan on hitting the trail expecting all the comforts of home. If I wanted glamping, I wouldn't be considering the trail in the first place. So I'm already considering the costs of things that won't matter like going out for drinks/beer, or staying in hotels and hostels very often, although I do fall into the certain dietary differences category. I try to shop organic, but if I can't get it, I don't need anything brand name. But I also have certain allergies (dairy) so I know the frustration of going to a quickie supermarket or gas station for snacks and not being able to find anything appealing once I've scanned every nutritional label. I've lived a couple months eating plain oatmeal twice a day, so while I may crave chinese takeout every now and then, what I understand is this: I have a set amount of funds that I need to stretch for 5-6 months (with hopefully a remainder left over) so a tub of plain old oatmeal will do me just fine. At the same time, I dont want my thru hike to be absolutely miserable.
BUT I digress...what I MEANT to say was, thank you all for your input. I have a little over a year to consider my options and feel that perhaps the best way for me is to create an inventory of a few things and set up a few drop boxes, set up some good communication with family members, and at the same time prepare for resupplies in town shopping at Dollar Stores and Walmart. I tend to stress a lot about money and usually end up having more than enough in the end, so instead of worrying about it, I'll simply spend my year planning and saving as much as possible.

Thank you all! I appreciate the feedback so much and I'll definitely be back with more questions :)

Dogwood
01-08-2019, 01:56
Maybe, because you do consider your spending and consumption habits you have more money than might be presumed? Maybe, that also makes you more adaptable...which is a great trait to have if you're thru hiking? HYOH :cool: I can see you and your friend working out your hike with a good attitude.

BTW, I primarily grew up in the Pinelands and on the Jarzee Shure. Knew many who lived in PA and at The Shore. Forked River, Toms River, Red Bank, Little Silver, Rumson.:)

LShuman024
01-08-2019, 10:42
It's funny because I'm actually in a small little spit of a town in central PA, though most people confuse it with THE Jersey Shore hahaha. I've never been to the real thing. :p

ABnormal
09-12-2019, 16:08
My thru in 2010 cost me $2,300 including a bus from Maine to Nashville. I did lots of woods zeroes, didn't drink much in town, rarely stayed in a hostel, and took creek baths. I know a lot more now, and could probably do it even cheaper. I wasn't trying to be cheap, I had 5k budgeted for the hike, I didn't feel like I was limiting myself.

Dogwood
09-12-2019, 17:41
I'm new to this page, but I figured it would be the best place for advice and knowledge about the trail. My boyfriend and I are planning to hike nobo in spring of next year. We're both pretty frugal, as we've had to deal with financial hardships in the past. Additionally, we prefer the DIY approach as often as we can. I'm working on learning as much as possible about mail drops. My question is...is it possible to survive solely on mail drops for food source?
I do understand that things happen and resupplying in towns may be needed due to accidents, weather, falling behind schedule, etc.
My goal is to buy bulk foods and get a decent inventory of dry foods (oatmeal, dried fruits, etc.) and separate them into boxes that would be enough for a week's worth of food for an average of 6 months. Our families have agreed to mail these for us.
We plan on saving as much money as possible before starting our thru hike, but we would like to use as little funds as possible.

I'd love to hear any advice or opinions on this matter.
As a world traveler and LD hiker often with a financially frugal approach I've found many times I trade more time for less financial input.

futureatwalker
10-15-2019, 07:46
Youth
Time
Money

For the A.T., pick any two...

danil411
10-15-2019, 19:58
I live in NJ and I didn't do a frugal thru in 2013 but if you cannot do a full hybrid approach b/c of diet restrictions, I recommend a partial hybrid approach: as previously mentioned your costs go up north of Mason Dixon Line...it is not frugal to buy in bulk in PA and ship to the southern part of the trail. Give yourself a starter kit mailed from home and identify the first town you can do a major resupply and bounce it to yourself with flat rate box. Be honest with yourself on the limited flexibility of this approach--you will have specific towns for resupply. If you need to bounce your box forward (vs use 100% of contents of a box) and you will need to be sensitive to PO schedule.

I think you could plan resupply towns for bouncing box to yourself (this might mean overnight stay with trip to PO) and towns where you only ship the food for the next section (more flexibility--ship to hostel, outfitter, PO).

I ended up using an approach like this. I had purchased food for areas with no food stores and had them ready for my support person in NJ before I left. I knew I didn't want to be solely mail resupply b/c I need variety so I was not planning food for 2k miles but for specific places. I started my bounce box (Priority Mail) at Neels gap with things like travel laundry detergent, shampoo/conditioner, nail clippers, next section of guide book and even a lightweight pair of jeans! This box went to towns where I planned on zero's. I did do some food only boxes --no planned stay/rest--just food..and hostel/outfitter/hotels are great for these b/c of longer hours for pick up and no need for shipping services.

Having that starter kit helped for the hostels where shampoo or detergent were not available but that is not common. Today I would add packing tape b/c PO are making hikers buy tape now. Soon I realized how cheap everything is down South and I cancelled my planned boxes for south of NJ. I bounced my food only and starter box filled with food to myself from the trail b/c the food was cheaper and the postal rate was consistent.

I had extra food in NJ at end of hike. Didn't go to waste; I ate it before I got my next job so I don't consider it wasted money.

You have been provided good advice in this thread on start time, diet, social life vs cost. Like most things it's about prioritization. Remember you will need to be flexible and have fun to complete the hike. BTW, sounds like you live near good training hikes like the Black Forest Trail!

~Dimples -2013

stephanD
10-16-2019, 08:25
You are correct that costs go up up north, but it's mostly for lodging, transportation, services. food no so much.

FreeGoldRush
10-16-2019, 09:10
The frugal thru hike is much different than the “go into town whenever convenient” thru hike. It’s not uncommon to see people who say they ran out of money, or people who get ultra frugal near the end of their hike because funds are low. Just keep in mind that having a frugal hiking plan is one thing, but people often find unexpected difficulties that require money. I don’t want to tell someone not to attempt a thru hike, but don’t underestimate how the experience is improved by saving a little extra money before starting.

RockDoc
10-16-2019, 11:42
Your cost for eating on the trail may arguably be a lot less than it would be if you stayed home because it is limited by weight, volume, sourcing, and perhaps cost. But other costs like gear, lodging, and health case (if needed, as in an emergency room) can be minimized but not avoided. Yes, save up sufficient money and have an emergency fund (probably over $1k) as well. You simply have to pay to play. No way around it.

foodbag
10-17-2019, 15:59
I'm in the camp with those who recommend not using maildrops. I never liked having to be tied down to a schedule.

Granted, I don't have a thru hike under my belt, but my experience with the three longer sections I've done (610, 100+ and 200+ miles respectively) made me glad that I was not having to do maildrops. I resupplied at a gas station convenience store (they did stock Ramen and some other hiking-type foods for the thru hikers that stopped there), an old country store and some small-town grocery stores. Pricing was all over the place, but not having to trudge to a post office was priceless.

Ginger.Snap
10-18-2019, 07:10
I know a lot of people really dislike the idea of doing mail drops on the AT. However I am right now halfway through a sobo thru hike, (I’m hanging just outside of boiling springs as I type this) I have gotten 95% of my food from mail drops and have loved doing it. My biggest reason for doing mail drops is dietary restrictions, however I am also a frugal person and my thru hike was kind of last minute so I’m on a very tight budget and I have found it to be A LOT cheaper as I was able to put together my food quite cheaply at home before hand by just putting in time and effort. Including the cost of shipping I am spending about $6-$7 per day on food. I am also eating more and eating better than anyone else I’ve been hiking with who resupplys along the way. (Other than that guy who goes into town every other day and is getting most his food from delis and restaurants)

The best advice I could give if you want to do mail drops is, avoid sending to a PO whenever possible. There are a surprising amount of businesses that will accept and hold mail drops free of charge.

Another hugely beneficial thing is that I didn’t preassemble all my boxes. I have all my food preps sorted out into tubs in my sisters spare bedroom and I text her an order, an address and when I estimate I’ll be there and she puts the packages together as I need them and sends them out. That helps with the “getting bored of food” problem and I can send more or less food based off where I am. I usually plan 2 mail drops ahead and get 3 days of food per package.

In conclusion, I know mail drops aren’t for everyone but I have enjoyed doing them and if I ever have the chance to do another thru hike I will absolutely do them again.

gracebowen
10-21-2019, 06:40
I will pack my boxes ahead of time and pack different foods in each box.

I'll probably label them
A. B. C. And. D

I'll have a list of what's in each box and just ask for what letter I want.