PDA

View Full Version : Southern VT Long Trail Difficulty Compared to AT In CT

piperston
01-06-2019, 21:49
I hiked the majority of the AT in Connecticut over 3-4 days in 2014. How does the trail difficulty in southern Vermont (Long Trail/AT) compare to the trail difficulty in CT? Planning a section hike with my wife for this summer and want to find a section of the AT of similar difficulty to CT for the two of us.

Thanks!

Piperston

4eyedbuzzard
01-06-2019, 22:55
The part of the AT that shares the LT in VT will have much greater elevation gains and losses than the trail in CT. The trail itself is similar forested woodland, but it's more remote - there aren't many road crossings to bail from if needed. There are several +/- 2000 ft ascents/descents such as Glastonbury, Stratton, Peru, and Killington. It's not difficult trail as it isn't really steep except in a few short sections, but compared to CT it will just keep going up (and down) twice as much compared to say Schaghticoke or Lions Head. Resupply isn't particularly easy as the trail doesn't go through any towns - you'll need to hitch or shuttle several miles to most resupply - From Williamstown MA it's +20 trail mi to Bennington, then +40 mi to Manchester Ctr , then +50 mi to Rutland.

Slumgum
01-07-2019, 00:01
I have hiked the entire Long Trail, but not the AT in CT. The primary complaints I heard from AT thru hikers regarding the VT section of the AT concerned mud. Lots of it! Many hikers try to skirt it, but after a while most give up and just slosh right through it. You might get lucky and choose a time when it is a bit drier, but from what I hear, those are rare occasions.

Slo-go'en
01-07-2019, 00:33
Vermud as we like to call it. It can be knee deep in places. Usually only a serious problem in the spring. But if there has been any significant rain recently, it can come back pretty quickly.

I did a hike in northern Vermont once in July where the only time the trail wasn't trying to suck the boot off my feet was when going steeply up or down hill. Anytime the trail leveled out, it was "how the heck do I get past that mess?" Hint: probe ahead with your hiking pole to find a solid place to step.

I would rate the AT section of the LT as Moderate. There are a few steep and rocky climbs and descents. The RT 9 crossing comes to mind. Actually, any major road crossing involves a steep up and down. But there are long stretches which are pretty mellow, so long as the mud isn't out of control. The LT has a way of tricking you into thinking your almost to the top of something when you really still have a long way to go, but that's mostly in the northern half.

I wouldn't call Connecticut a cake walk - they do make you work for some of those miles, but it is significantly easier then Vermont. As a result, I find the trail in VT a lot more interesting and challenging then CT.

Of course, everyone's perspective is different. What some find difficult others find easy. Weather is a big factor in making those impressions, as is one's physical abilities, how heavy a load your lugging, if you woke up refreshed or not and so on.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2019, 10:43
The further north I complete the trail the more I love all the sections I have previously done. That being said, I did Vermont last September and I was able to get thru it with very minimal mud. I did fall twice in VT and the only other times I have fallen on the trail were once in NJ and once coming down Roan on some ice. But I would agree that although CT isn't easy, it is on a different scale then VT. The climbs can be tough boogers in CT but they are short. Maybe 30 minutes tops and your done. VT had some time takers. As mentioned: Glastonberry, Stratton, Killington, the stretch north of Manchester Center, They were projects to get to the top, but if it helps any I could maintain my 20 miles per day that I did in CT, in VT as well. And on the 1 day of rain that I had in 16 days of walking I did a marathon into Manchester Center 26 miles. There are most certainly moose in VT. I heard one running thru the woods after dark on my marathon day and then further north I saw a good amount of moose poop.

Im not sure where you left off in CT, but there is excellent trail both north and south of CT if you haven't walked it yet. I enjoyed New York and New jersey in the fall of 17'

Slo-go'en
01-07-2019, 11:17
I agree, NJ is a nice easy section and suprisingly plesent. Thru hikers often comment how nice NJ was. Which is not suprising since they just finished stumbling over the rocks in PA.

NY, north of the Hudson river is also nice. No views to speak of, but easy hiking threw the forest. South of the Hudson to NJ, not so much. That section is a real pain, with the "agony grind", 10 miles of short but steep climbs which really wear you down on a hot summer afternoon.

But don't completely rule out Vermont. It might be more work, but it's worth it.

Gambit McCrae
01-07-2019, 11:23
I agree, NJ is a nice easy section and suprisingly plesent. Thru hikers often comment how nice NJ was. Which is not suprising since they just finished stumbling over the rocks in PA.

NY, north of the Hudson river is also nice. No views to speak of, but easy hiking threw the forest. South of the Hudson to NJ, not so much. That section is a real pain, with the "agony grind", 10 miles of short but steep climbs which really wear you down on a hot summer afternoon.

But don't completely rule out Vermont. It might be more work, but it's worth it.

Definitely worth it! Its a whole different world on the trail starting I would say about Bennington, VT north. The terrain and trees change, the views when you get the them are spectacular and your then in Moose country