PDA

View Full Version : Vernon NJ Mail Drop

Mouser999
01-09-2019, 12:48
Any experiences using Vernon NJ as a mail drop and / or resupply?
Thinking of hiking NJ and NY this September

Thanks

Slo-go'en
01-09-2019, 13:11
I don't know where you'd send a package to in Vernon, apparently they don't have a PO. I believe the church hostel is now closed and I don't think they accepted mail drops anyway. There is a grocery store though. I resupplied there.

If you want to do a mail drop, Unionville, NY has a PO, it's a 1/2 mile road walk to get to it. But there is a pizza shop and grocery store near the PO.

Mouser999
01-09-2019, 14:48
Thanks I'll continue researching

stephanD
01-09-2019, 14:58
Vernon has a long term resupply supermarket and plenty of restaurants, and hitchhiking is relatively easy from the trail.

Mouser999
01-09-2019, 15:18
That's what I'm seeing on Google maps, looks like there is a P.O.too.There also is a motel that takes drops for AT guests.
Gotta see if PO will take packages for hikers.

Thanks all

stephanD
01-09-2019, 15:52
That's what I'm seeing on Google maps, looks like there is a P.O.too.There also is a motel that takes drops for AT guests.
Gotta see if PO will take packages for hikers.

Thanks all
This motel is about 1-1.5 mile easy walk from the town center. The church dismantled in 2016. What a great loss for the AT. Not a single hostel between the church hostel in DWG and Hudson's hostel in CT.

Gambit McCrae
01-09-2019, 16:47
Call the George Inn.
Address (https://www.google.com/search?q=george+inn+address&stick=H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LWT9c3LEnPS8o2MdaSzU620s_JT04syczPgzOsElNSilKLiwGh 0C_KLgAAAA&ludocid=10851503093934910206&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvw6b7yOHfAhXwtlkKHdNCAF4Q6BMwEHoECAoQA w): 84 NJ-94, Vernon Township, NJ 07462
Phone (https://www.google.com/search?q=george+inn+phone&ludocid=10851503093934910206&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvw6b7yOHfAhXwtlkKHdNCAF4Q6BMwEXoECAoQB g): (973) 827-5758 (https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=q102XMK2Ncrv5gKUjZaIBA&q=the+george+inn+vernon+nj&btnK=Google+Search&oq=the+george+inn+vernon+nj&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i22i30l2.679.9521..9658...3.0..0.241.26 21.23j4j1....2..0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.FK46v9dJCTc#)

sfdoc
01-09-2019, 17:18
Try Heaven Hill Farm and Garden Cntr. Right on AT, near boardwalk section.

Quik
01-09-2019, 17:34
Any experiences using Vernon NJ as a mail drop and / or resupply?
Thinking of hiking NJ and NY this September

Thanks

I didn't stay in Vernon but I did resupply there at a full grocery store. Easy road walk but a narrow shoulder

Vernon has a long term resupply supermarket and plenty of restaurants, and hitchhiking is relatively easy from the trail.

Hitchhiking in NJ is illegal

"In the US state New Jersey it is illegal to hitchhike. This is provided by 39:4-5, which states: "Begging rides prohibited. No person shall stand in a highway for the purpose of or while soliciting a ride from the operator of any vehicle other than an omnibus or a street car."

stephanD
01-09-2019, 18:26
Dang....I know it is illegal in NY, Did not know it is illegal in NJ. When i hiked NJ in 2015, everybody hitchhiked to Vernon back and forth from the trail.

Slo-go'en
01-09-2019, 19:38
We hitched in and out of Vernon, didn't take long to get a ride. I doubt you'd get hassled doing that, they know the score. You just don't want to be doing that on an interstate on ramp or busy highway.

AWOL doesn't list a PO for Vernon for some reason, which is why I said there isn't one. Hum, it looks like there is one not too far from town center. It has a 2.5 star rating though, people don't like the service there. The AMCE market next door also has a bad rating, 3.5 stars, reviews say very high prices. Looks like the A+P we stopped at is gone.

There is a ShopRite a few miles the other way on 94 in Warwick NY. They have a 4.5 star rating. That would be a better choice.

Personally, I'd use Unionville instead for a PO. The Garden center is a good option too.

BillyGr
01-09-2019, 21:55
We hitched in and out of Vernon, didn't take long to get a ride. I doubt you'd get hassled doing that, they know the score. You just don't want to be doing that on an interstate on ramp or busy highway.

AWOL doesn't list a PO for Vernon for some reason, which is why I said there isn't one. Hum, it looks like there is one not too far from town center. It has a 2.5 star rating though, people don't like the service there. The ACME market next door also has a bad rating, 3.5 stars, reviews say very high prices. Looks like the A+P we stopped at is gone.

There is a ShopRite a few miles the other way on 94 in Warwick NY. They have a 4.5 star rating. That would be a better choice.

Personally, I'd use Unionville instead for a PO. The Garden center is a good option too.

A&P (as a chain) went out of business in late 2015. The ACME chain was one of several that bought their former stores (and the largest, taking about 70 locations of the 200 something that A&P had at that final time, along with chains such as Stop & Shop, Key Foods and ShopRite in a few spots). So most likely it's the same store with a new name.

People have said (in general) that ACME stores tend to be higher priced, so it's probably the case here as well, but aside from cost I don't know that they have other problems (perhaps you have to watch dates on things if they sell less due to the high prices.

Dogwood
01-10-2019, 00:15
You can legally receive a ride with someone if it's offered. Especially don't stand in the road or stick a thumb out. Don't fly a sign. It's dangerous anyway on 93 and 24. As Quik said there's a narrow shoulder on 93 and 24

Be careful walking. Be safe Think of the safety of others.

A few NOBO's were hitching by sticking their thumb out on 93 around Vernon Valley Ski Resort 10 yrs ago on a busy fall Fri evening with a PO stopping informing them it was not only illegal but dangerous. The two did get IDed with their names run. They ceased and were cooperative. Vernon PO was cool about it but related the officer swung back around to check on their cooperation. I later went by where the incident happened and it was a terribly unsafe place to hitch for safety of all.

I was walking back from a grocery store safely on the shoulder in the grass that same day and I was stopped by a VPD Officer. The exchange was mutually respectful. Another cruiser showed up with a female Officer insisting I was hitching and inquiring if I was homeless. She approached with her hand on her sidearm even though the other Officer clearly was not and clearly I was being polite and cooperative. She definitely had a chip on her shoulder repeatedly accusing me. "Are you sure you're not homless?" I was a NJ resident and told them respectfully I knew of the law and wouldn't hitch-hike in that location anyway even if it was legal because it was unsafe for everyone. I added I was not homeless, thru hiking the AT and quickly told them what thru hiking was. Then, especially the young female officer, felt compelled to launch into a protracted stern speech about hitching being unsafe and I SHOULDN'T BE WALKING ANYWAY - PERIOD. I gave both Officers a puzzled expression. I let her finish with trying to chastise me like one of her children. I politely said, "I just told you I know it's unsafe and illegal; I wasn't hitch-hiking; that would be illegal and unsafe." She didn't like that. Then she became very narrow minded saying with unprofessional undisguised vehemence, intolerance and with intent of imposition things I've ever heard from a PO, "people shouldn't be walking, unless it's on a track or in the gym or at the grocery store, I can't understand why anyone would want to walk the entire Appalachian Trail, YOU PEOPLE, if people want to travel they should drive a car or get a taxi, are you sure you're not homeless?" In an unassuming politeful respectful of LE atitude I related "I'm staying at the Church Hostel with some other hikers; some walk for adventure, others for health, others to experience Nature; not everyone always wants to get somwhere in a car. She was having little of it. She... snickered. I even was holding four full grocery bags two in each hand and had food in my backpack bought for others at the church hostel. She kept insisting I was hitching when truely I was simply walking back to the church hostel. They both now continued with the unfounded accusations. Without attitude, I asked "how am I hitch-hiking holding all these groceries?" She still kept giving me that kneel and kiss my authoritative Amazonian arse routine. He ran my name. They finally started to relent after confirming no criminal record, warrants, long time NJ residency, I wasn't a houseless transient, and after relating ownership of companies and last yr's income. They especialy liked last yrs salary inquiring "why would someone with your income and a biz owner hike all that much?, isn't that being irresponsible?" I said politely "I just told you." They tried to get in the last word by saying "this time we'll give you a warning." To which I said, witout attitude, "reminding me about the laws and conducting an ID check for investigative saftey is appreciated but you don't have to give me any warning because I'm not breaking any laws and I'm not doing anything unsafe to myself or others." They both shot back again about giving me a warning with an implication that I had done someting illegal as if the were doing me a favor. The had to let me know they were the boss when all along I was relaying a 'I'm respecting your authority' attitude. They left a little bit disgruntled in not being to get in the last word, issuing a citation. I said "walking is not a crime." He also swung back around to confirm my cooperation?

That was the first time I realized a legal prejudice can occur against those that choose to walk or seem homeless. I put that experience behind me and had forgotten it until this thread.

franky
01-10-2019, 02:43
Looks like the A+P we stopped at is gone.

Almost all the A&Ps in Dirty Jersey (my birthplace and home for almost 50 years) turned into ACMEs a couple of years ago when that parent company has financial difficulties.

Slo-go'en
01-10-2019, 09:54
Man Dogwood, talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You'd think with the church hostel there, they would be a bit more familiar with hikers coming and going.

But your right, hitching into town from where the trail crosses is pretty dangerous. Now that I think about it, the trail crossed at the top of a hill, there wasn't a good place for people to pull over and it's blind to people until they crest the hill. Hitching out of town isn't so bad as there's a parking lot on the east side of the road to be dropped off at.

PS, I only lived in NJ until I was 18, then I got out and never looked back...

sfdoc
01-10-2019, 10:12
Dogwood: Just imagine what would've happened if you were black, hispanic, or any other person of color.

Mouser999
01-10-2019, 11:15
Thanks for the assists. I'm probably going to get a room at the AT motel nearby that accepts mail for guests. I will continue to research. Thanks again.

Dogwood
01-10-2019, 15:07
Actually Slo-go-en I was in the right place at the right time...to impact those Officers perceptions(misperceptions) of hikers. They could have behaved differently and we could focus on complaining about it or we could recognize it as an opportunity to leave behind a positive impact/impression. These opportunities present themselves in abundance perhaps more so for those walking through 14 states.

stephanD
01-10-2019, 16:59
Unbelievable. being harassed like that just for walking with your groceries....

mikec
01-14-2019, 20:16
I sectioned that area in 2006. I stayed at the motel and got a mail drop at the post office. Also got a big pizza and carried it back to the motel. Took the old AT back to the correct route

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Quik
01-15-2019, 10:55
Dogwood- all I can say is WOW!

I send my friend an email asking if she would share her experience from several years ago with the Vernon police, a soccer mom and the A&P. I don't recall the details enough to post it on my own. It all turned out well at the end.

Dogwood
01-15-2019, 18:24
It shouldn't be surprising. Nonconforming brings attention and suspicion. People don't walk alongside busy highways normally hand carrying grocery bags and wearing a full backpack, particularly in NJ.

Vernon Valley Ski Resort(they've changed ownership so may have been renamed) had already been making snow so were economically buzzing with out of town somewhat aristocratic wealthy skiers which are important to Vernon's local economy, almost certainly more so than AT backpackers. I think I recall having it mentioned the local real estate market is heavily influenced by seasonal winter vacation home ownership and rentals. The resort had just opened for the season. There were quite a few families observed at the resort so largely it was a family oriented atmosphere not a single goetteed man walking wearing a backpack scene.

Additionally, backpacking crowds in some areas are not well received. As backpackers we should be aware our own behaviors creates a negative or positive impression for those that follow in our footsteps. That's why I regularly refer to a larger whole. :cool: Backpacking does not have to be approached as an imposition of a self indulgent 'vacation' experience. :cool: I was considering these things during that LE encounter.

Jack Tarlin "Baltimore Jack" despite his imperfections and peccadillos was good at reminding the AT community of our responsibilities. He made a positive lasting impression on many, including myself. I consider myself fortunate to have take away many positives from Baltimore early on in that thru hike. :)

Feral Bill
01-15-2019, 21:16
Dang....I know it is illegal in NY, Did not know it is illegal in NJ. When i hiked NJ in 2015, everybody hitchhiked to Vernon back and forth from the trail.
Not illegal in New York.

Gambit McCrae
01-16-2019, 12:59
Not illegal in New York.

It is in fact not illegal, as the law states that one can stand on the shoulder and solicit a ride. However I was unable to hitch a single ride thru New Jersey OR New York. Walked all the way from the Dutchess to the trail when I went thru there