PDA

View Full Version : New light/small sleeping bag suggestions

SGTdirtman
02-22-2006, 22:12
I'm looking for a new sleeping bag, I usually carry a Kelty 15 degree but want something lighter and smaller for my short spring/summer trips (mid april-august) my biggest concern is the stuff size not weight only because I carry a very small pack on these trips. The most extreme low temp I'd be facing would be around the low 40's on the cold nights in april. but have no problems wearing my polypro's and sweats to bed if it got too cold.

anyone have any suggestions?

Skidsteer
02-22-2006, 22:17
I'm looking for a new sleeping bag, I usually carry a Kelty 15 degree but want something lighter and smaller for my short spring/summer trips (mid april-august) my biggest concern is the stuff size not weight only because I carry a very small pack on these trips. The most extreme low temp I'd be facing would be around the low 40's on the cold nights in april. but have no problems wearing my polypro's and sweats to bed if it got too cold.

anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/store.html#frogsac

Heard good things about these-haven't tried one myself, though.

snickerssave
02-23-2006, 02:24
marmot atom? weighs 16 ounces 850+goose fill and is rated down to 40 degrees

Seeker
02-23-2006, 05:34
western mountaineering highlite, caribou, iraquois, mitylite... all 35-40* bags, all down, all in the 16-24 oz range...

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&viewpost=2&ContentId=27

there was a guy here on WB trying to sell a new iraquois bag and can't seem to get rid of it.... maybe a little to high temp rating (38*?) for most people, but you might take a look... i think he wanted 175 for it... i also think it's out of production now.

vipahman
02-23-2006, 11:24
Western Mountaineering Highlite, 35 degrees, stuffs 6x12, weighs 16oz.
Marmot Atom, 40 degrees, stuffs 6x10, weighs 16oz.
Sierra Designs Wicked Light, 45 degress, stuffs 6x8, weighs 14oz, sewn-in floor.

I used the Highlite to 40 degrees with my base layer and it was great.

Whistler
02-23-2006, 23:23
A sleeping quilt will help with the warmer nights because you can ventilate more easily, and the absence of zippers means less bulk. Take a look at the down quilts from Nunatak. While made for hammocking, Jacks R Better models could also fit your needs on the ground.
-Mark

Lump76
02-24-2006, 15:52
My Kelty Light Year 25 down bag compresses down very small and was pretty reasonably priced. While the 25-degree rating is a little exaggerated, I'd say it keeps me warm down to around 35-40 degrees without having to put on polypros or sweats.

chris
02-24-2006, 16:15
I've got a couple hundred bag nights in the western mountaineering highlite and recommend it highly. I used it for my PCT thruhike and an 1150 mile section hike on the AT from Damascus to Manchester Center. I wrote a review of it in the Gear Reviews section of this site. Briefly, though: Half length zipper isn't an issue for me. Size long weighs in at a bit over 1 lb (like 18 oz). I'd say that 40 degrees is the right temp rating. For the moderate temps in the east (during prime hiking season), it is ideal. For colder temps, wear your thermals and a hat to bed. Compresses to nothing. Costs about $200.