PDA

View Full Version : Big Storm

Mother Natures Son
01-18-2019, 20:01
The big Snow and Ice storm is to hit most of the East by Saturday. Near the trail, Snow might get up to 8-12"+ here in S.C. PA. After that, major Ice storm is to follow. The governor of PA has declared a statewide emergency starting at 1:00 p.m. and going through Sunday at 1:00 p.m. All commercial traffic, including buses is banned from the interstates and the turnpike. Many trains have already cancelled their routes ahead of the storm. What is the weather predicting for your area regarding this monster storm?

Slo-go'en
01-18-2019, 20:04
Hope to see 2+ feet here in the mountains of NH. About time.

atraildreamer
01-18-2019, 21:49
Snow to rain event, with a lot of wind, in R.I. starting Saturday evening. Then icy conditions as temperatures drop overnight. Expecting a very messy Sunday. Good day to stay home, drink hot chocolate and watch a good movie.

Sarcasm the elf
01-18-2019, 22:09
We’re getting stupid rain/snow mix here on the CT coast. I wanted SNOW! :(

Venchka
01-18-2019, 23:25
The Crud hit the Blue Ridge Mountains yesterday. School out at noon in Boone. It took my daughter and grandkids 3+ hours to make the 45 minute drive home due to stupid accidents.
I imagine that Grayson Highlands to Roan Mountain are interesting about now.
Be safe Y’all!
Wayne

bighammer
01-18-2019, 23:48
Just single digits and chance of flurries here. :(

Old Hillwalker
01-19-2019, 00:19
Looking for 2 feet more here in Maine. With three feet already on my roof, gotta get out there and start raking like a madman. I live in Maine's 100 inch belt. Right in the middle of the state. Now that I'm thinking about it, I get irked every time people refer to the AT running from southern Maine when it actually runs West to East for NOBOs and East to West if your a SOBO. End rant.

Traillium
01-19-2019, 01:02
Just a few cm of snow here in Southern Ontario on the north side of the storm. (But 30 cm just 100 km south.) It will be the -22°C temperatures and strong winds on the backside that’s going to be unpleasant …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo L.
01-19-2019, 03:01
We had a week of serious snowfall here in the Alps.
Had to clear off the eastern roof of my old house, the western roof unloaded itself and the snow piles up now above the eaves.
When trying to shake the loads of heavy wet snow off the fruit trees I was stuck chest-deep in the snow - feet not even down on the real ground.
All trails got officially closed due to danger of falling trees/branches.
All the while I was wondering what one would do if stuck in the outdoors?

All the best to all of you!

T-Rx
01-19-2019, 08:59
Sunny and 70’s here. Y’all bundle up and stay warm.

LazyLightning
01-19-2019, 09:38
a little more snow then the coast in mid CT but now I think the temps are looking a bit warmer during it so it's gonna be more of a rain/freezing rain mess after the snow...

tiptoe
01-19-2019, 10:24
Yes, we are expecting a slick and sloppy mess.

rhjanes
01-19-2019, 10:36
This is Texas....the arctic air hit some of the state. It is 8:30 AM USA Central time on Saturday 1/19/2019, it is 19 degrees in the panhandle of Texas. here in DFW, it is around 35 and winds at 20, gusting to 40 so a good wind chill. It is 70 degrees in south Texas along the Rio Grande. Keeps the citrus growing....

Slo-go'en
01-19-2019, 11:03
A low of 4F here at my place this morning. But it's warmed up to 9 now :) Still cold enough that the light breeze out there now makes the wind chill sub zero.

1/4" of flurries overnight. No sign of the storm yet, not getting here until tonight.

atraildreamer
01-19-2019, 12:07
We had a week of serious snowfall here in the Alps.
Had to clear off the eastern roof of my old house, the western roof unloaded itself and the snow piles up now above the eaves.
When trying to shake the loads of heavy wet snow off the fruit trees I was stuck chest-deep in the snow - feet not even down on the real ground.
All trails got officially closed due to danger of falling trees/branches.
All the while I was wondering what one would do if stuck in the outdoors?

All the best to all of you!
And we complain about a foot of snow here in the states!

Leo's report brings back memories of the Blizzard of '78, an event dear to the heart of all New Englanders who were around back then.

Puddlefish
01-19-2019, 12:36
I'm in the center of the projected path in NH, and it's looking more like 10 to 18 inches, which is basically just a typical winter storm over the course of two days. Off the trail, a non-event, if you're remotely prepared.

On the trail, still something I wouldn't mess with, with visibility and drifts 10-20 mph winds, gusts to 35 mph and a projected 17 to 27 inch snow total over two days at elevation. It's easy to laugh off winter storms from the comfort of my home, but I'm a giant wimp (seriously cautious) about conditions on the trail.

Venchka
01-19-2019, 15:21
This is Texas....the arctic air hit some of the state. It is 8:30 AM USA Central time on Saturday 1/19/2019, it is 19 degrees in the panhandle of Texas. here in DFW, it is around 35 and winds at 20, gusting to 40 so a good wind chill. It is 70 degrees in south Texas along the Rio Grande. Keeps the citrus growing....
I’m downwind of DFW in the East Texas Rainforest.
Tighten up! 👍😄
This ain’t cold. Yet.
Last January we had a string of mornings with lows of 12-7-15 degrees. The highs never got above freezing.
Doesn’t look like any snow from this system.
Be safe Y’all!
Wayne

Venchka
01-19-2019, 15:27
I'm in the center of the projected path in NH, and it's looking more like 10 to 18 inches, which is basically just a typical winter storm over the course of two days. Off the trail, a non-event, if you're remotely prepared.

On the trail, still something I wouldn't mess with, with visibility and drifts 10-20 mph winds, gusts to 35 mph and a projected 17 to 27 inch snow total over two days at elevation. It's easy to laugh off winter storms from the comfort of my home, but I'm a giant wimp (seriously cautious) about conditions on the trail.
I wonder what the old homestead in Chicopee, MASS will look like when this system goes through?
Wayne

Puddlefish
01-19-2019, 16:32
I wonder what the old homestead in Chicopee, MASS will look like when this system goes through?
Wayne

One of my college roommates was from Chicopee. From how he described it, it will be crime ridden and covered in beautiful fresh powder.

Slo-go'en
01-19-2019, 17:05
Well, it's started here. Lets see if it lives up to the hype.

According to my local forecast, it will continue to snow into Monday, then start again on Wednesday, then change to rain on Thursday, then go back to subzero next Saturday and Sunday. That's just peachy.

Venchka
01-19-2019, 17:55
One of my college roommates was from Chicopee. From how he described it, it will be crime ridden and covered in beautiful fresh powder.
All I know is that we would occasionally get snowfall of 12”-15”-18” without naming the storm nor using any scary words to define the impending doom. The big storms often arrived in March.
Oh. I was a bike commuter before it was Green and Fashionable.
Wayne

Puddlefish
01-19-2019, 22:36
All I know is that we would occasionally get snowfall of 12”-15”-18” without naming the storm nor using any scary words to define the impending doom. The big storms often arrived in March.
Oh. I was a bike commuter before it was Green and Fashionable.
Wayne

Yeah, I don't know any normal human who's amused by naming winter storms. Seems like a goofy marketing ploy to create scary click-bait headlines to suckers, and sell advertising. It's just winter, and winter has snow storms.

Slo-go'en
01-19-2019, 23:28
At least they stopped calling every one "the storm of the century". Seems we had a lot of those...

franky
01-20-2019, 00:48
Its going up to 80 and and mostly cloudy in Nairobi today. No rain predicted.

Another Kevin
01-20-2019, 01:06
About a foot and a half forecast here in the Mohawk River valley. I'm one of the people who canceled a hike this weekend - because the crud that Elf is getting is the same in Harriman, where we were going.

8 °F and snowing at the moment. Next few days are supposed to have lows approaching -10 °F. and thereś supposed to be wind behind the storm. I might wear my facemask and goggles to walk to work on Tuesday.

I'm down in the valley. I'm sure both temperature and snowfall are worse up in the hills.

(For those that inhabit milder climates - a foot and a half of snow isn't that unusual around here, we get a storm that big in a lot of winters.)

Slo-go'en
01-20-2019, 11:29
We're in the middle of the storm now and the wind is howling. Hard to say how much snow we've gotten as the wind is blowing it sideways into drifts. Plus it's cold, 11F. Windchill has to be well below zero. Definitely don't want to be out in this storm. Yep, I guess it's winter alright.

Leo L.
01-20-2019, 11:53
<sorry, wrong thread>

RangerZ
01-20-2019, 14:01
Well, SW PA survived the blizzard of 2019.

My snow gage shows 1” depth.

I braved the elements this morning to shovel.

I’ve got my heavier base layer on in the house because it is 22* outside.

:banana

Another Kevin
01-20-2019, 14:19
About a foot and a half here so far in the Mohawk River valley. Which is really no big deal around here.

I was out this morning to run the snowblower. I think I'll wait to do it again until the snow stops - it's still snowing, and I'm lazy.

Mother Natures Son
01-20-2019, 19:56
-15F on Monday. (Wind Chill.) No Rain or Snow here S.C. PA. Talk about Cold!! This is one time I'm not glad to be on the trail.

Dogwood
01-20-2019, 21:46
Some rain. bit breezy high of 35 low almost 20 degrees lower tonight clear it was crisp today will be crisp outside tonight clear skies mean cold no cloud cover might be a good night for astronomy

Typical Atalnta region winter weather for Jan wed will be back to a 60 high but right at freezing that night

Deadeye
01-21-2019, 00:08
17 inches at my house, 1 below, not much wind here

Traveler
01-21-2019, 09:10
Wayne

Agreed with the over-hype in some of these weather events.

In the US we have named winter storms since the 1700s but usually following the storm itself, like the vast winter storm in 1888 was named the "Schoolhouse Blizzard" in the Great Plains States and the "Blizzard of '88" in the Northeastern US. In 2011/2012, The Weather Channel, a commercial cable outlet having a significant viewership started naming winter storms.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Weather Service has requested TWC not to name winter storms for a number of reasons. But the primary driver of the TWC winter storm naming process being creation of a program marketing platform that boosted viewership and subsequently advertising rates and revenues during the particular weather event was too powerful to ignore.

It does seem a bit much to have a storm of 8-inches to 12-inches of snow predicted, which are fairly typical in southern New England, especially when only 3-inches materializes. However, TWC has done a good job of conflating marketing and science in how they produce these events, which has led to many local TV stations following their own naming schemes. So, be prepared for a lot more of this stuff. "Heavy Dew - Ivan" is not too far away.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2019, 12:04
Oh Boy, it's warmed up to -3 from a low of -7. Don't think it will get up to 0 today. But it used to go to -20 and -30 around here on a regular bases and stay that way for weeks this time of year. So, a few days of this isn't bad.

I'm about 2/3ds of the way of clearing 2-3 feet of dense, wind packed snow off my driveway. This stuff would make a great igloo. It comes out in blocks. Toes were getting a little cold, so time to drink some hot chocolate and warm up a little before tackling the rest of it.

Maybe tomorrow I'll see if I can find my snowshoes which I left out by the door and now under a 4 foot snow drift and try to break some trail before the rain comes.

The kicker is it's going to warm up to 39 and rain on Thursday, then go right back to single digits. Fun you bet.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2019, 15:00
Just pulled a trip during those dates---in the mountains of TN/NC on the BMT near Sled Runner Gap and Six Mile Gap---

My trip report is here and getting organized as we speak---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2019-Trips-195-/17-Days-in-the-Heart-of-Darkness/

JNI64
01-30-2019, 11:51
Just pulled a trip during those dates---in the mountains of TN/NC on the BMT near Sled Runner Gap and Six Mile Gap---

My trip report is here and getting organized as we speak---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpack-2019-Trips-195-/17-Days-in-the-Heart-of-Darkness/

Did a trip that weekend as well to to test some winter gear for Vermont trip president week. Had snow flurries on the hike up got up to where I was going got camp set up an hour later sat. Afternoon started raining rained 34 degrees rain all night till sun morning, then the wind d came with the cold front sun night got wild up on the mountain mon morning had 7 ambient and -15 wind chill.

Mother Natures Son
01-30-2019, 20:02
-15F here S.C. PA!! Thursday doesn't look any better. -15F or worse! Drove in the White Out of year today. (Near Reading.) Holy Cow was that bad. I hope no one is planning to be on the trail anytime soon, right?