PDA

View Full Version : AMC Tweet linking Appalachia article

rickb
01-19-2019, 05:54
The AMC Twitter feed linked this article originally published in Appalachia.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/appalachia-journal-blog/emotional-rescue?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-organic&utm_campaign=books-appalachia-2019

Well worth checking out, but needs to be read to the end.

illabelle
01-19-2019, 06:22
I read this story elsewhere earlier this week. Truly an inspiring story!

somers515
01-19-2019, 21:32
Interesting article! Thanks for sharing rickb.

3_dogs
01-20-2019, 00:13
Reminds me of something that happened years ago. It was a goof-off weekend. We were camped on the back side of North Fork Mountain in WV. In the morning as we broke camp lots of traffic passed by. I noticed a brown Astro van, only because I had a friend with a similar van. I saw the driver and knew it was not him. After breaking camp we drove to the top of the mountain to take photo of the back of Seneca Rocks. On the road to the top the driver of the van was on a bicycle heading down the mountain. He stopped me and ask if I wanted a bicycle. He said if I did it would be sitting along the road at the bottom of the mountain. It seemed weird but I thought nothing else of it.

Once at the top we discussed the conversation. The van was sitting at the top of the mountain. After talking we realized something was not right.

On the way down we did see the bicycle parked on the side of the road. We stopped and checked the woods along side the road and found nothing. We drove back to the other side of the mountain to the Seneca Rocks Visitor's Center. I told the staff the story and they called a ranger. I repeated me story to the ranger. We said he'd check it out. I asked him to let me know what he found out. I never heard from him.

In the years since I've wondered what was going on with the man. Obviously he wanted us to take the bicycle and remove his last known point. Did he move into the woods and harm himself? Did he have a ride waiting at the bottom of the mountain so he could just disappear?

I think of this from time to time and wonder what happened to him.

Sara
01-20-2019, 01:07
Thank you for sharing. An amazing, uplifting story.