PDA

View Full Version : Soft Shell Jackets Useage

Shrkbit143
02-23-2006, 10:31
I just got a Soft Shell Jacket from Columbia and would like to hear how some of you use a SS jacket in the layering system for temps down to the 20s. I am a 300 fleese jacket user and have no problem with using it but the SS don't seem to provide the same heat retention.

Do I need to add more mid level fleece? Thanks

chicote
02-23-2006, 11:06
It depends on what you want to use it for. I have a Soft Shell shell that has no lining in it. When I go out for my morning bikes in the 20-30 degree temps I just wear a polypro and a lightweight fleece and I find it suitable. The great things about the softshell is it's breathability. The key is that they are an active jacket, not one just to stand around in.

TwoForty
02-23-2006, 14:11
I thought the point of a softshell was that you don't layer it. Maybe have a base layer underneath it, but that is it.
I've never used one though.

chicote
02-23-2006, 14:35
I thought the point of a softshell was that you don't layer it. Maybe have a base layer underneath it, but that is it.
I've never used one though.

Pretty much it. My polypro wicks so well I always wear that. Since mine has no lining I layer. I imagine if I had a jacket like the REI one which has lining all I'd wear would be a wick away t or longsleeve.

timhines
02-24-2006, 09:48
hmm. I've thought of buying a softshell jacket but now i'm not sure.

For cool weather I just bought a wicking T from sierra trading post for $3, and a military wool sweater from ebay for $4. I have a "wind breaker" that i'm considering wearing over those two. I think that will take care of me in the 20s-30 degree temps.

Toolshed
02-24-2006, 10:03
IMMHO, for climbing peaks in the NE in winter, I think a softshell is an awesome piece of clothing. For hiking the AT, I think it is almost useless, unless you are hiking in winter.

I usuallly wear my SS pants without a layer beneath unless it is below 10 degrees, then I wear light running tights beneath. For my top, I wear 2 light polypropelene long sleeve shirts- the inner one a tighter fit and the outer one a looser fit. Over that goes the SS jacket. SS jackets are not made for leayering heavy items beneath, they are made to fit closer to your body and remove the bulk while allowing freedom of motion - Both of which aren't really requirements for thruhiking.

The reason why SS is useless for hiking the AT is that
A. They are way too warm and undreathable for 3 season use.
B. They're not waterproof - in a deluge, you will get moisture coming through.
c. They're too heavy for ultralight enthisuasts. I honeslty think you can get the better protection with a fleece and a hardshell (Marmot Precip).

tlbj6142
02-24-2006, 10:32
Softshells are primarily a winter (sub-20F) item. Otherwise they just don't make sense.

Of course, they look cool around town as well, but who needs "technical" gear around town?

Shrkbit143
02-24-2006, 13:48
Thanks for the responses. I was smart enough to get a jacket with pit-zippers so venting in warmer weather should be no problem. I'm hiking out this Sunday in Indiana and will try it with just the polypro underneath. I will also carrie the Fleece jacket as a backup.

Shrkbit143
02-25-2006, 17:07
I did a test hike to day in one of central Indianas state parks. Weather was nice, 40 degrees, clear skies, and wind 0 to 3 mph. Started out with long sleeved wicking t-shirt, 100 weight fleece shirt and the soft shell jacket. Carrying a 35 lb pack after 30 min. I was warming up nicely so stopped and took off fleece shirt. For the rest of that hike I was vert toasty in just the t-shirt and soft shell. After stopping for 15 min and breaking in my car I hike a trail a long a creek bed. On top of the ridges I was cold from the sweat but down in the creek bed gully i was fine (no wind). This was slower walking but I still was warm out of the wind. If your thinking of getting a soft shell jacket I recommend one with pit-zippers and a bottom drawstring. Bot came in handy on both hikes.