PDA

View Full Version : Topo / elevation over distance

NumNum
01-22-2019, 10:33
I’m looking for topo software that allows me to plot my hikes and give me the elevation profile that also shows distance.

I currently use natgeo software when hiking in the adirondacks that gives me this, but from what i can see is it is no longer made so I cannot obtain it for the A.T.

I can find paper maps, but im looking forward the elevation profile over distance.

Thanks in advance.

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2019, 10:55
I use GAIA GPS app, it is $19 but I have really enjoyed it. It runs in airplane mode and will do all you want it to except 3d mapping of your route. At east at my experience level I don't know how to get it to do that however it maps your route on a map, and shows an elevation profile so I don't see why it couldn't use those 2 things to convert to a 3d perspective.

NumNum
01-22-2019, 11:53
I haven’t looked yet, do you know if it can be downloaded to a laptop?

Does it allow you to plot and see ahead of time the elevation gain over distance?

ldsailor
01-22-2019, 12:07
Maybe I'm missing something here, but have you considered Guthook? Most hikers who use navigation software on the AT use Guthook. It gives you the things you require and much much more. It can be used at home, too; although most hikers planning a hike at home use the AWOL AT Guide to plan.

NumNum
01-22-2019, 12:15
I plan to use Guthook on the trail. For planning my day I like to see what my elevation gain is ahead of time so I have some idea of where I want to end up by days end. I know that is subjective, but at least I have some idea.

I do have AWOLS AT guide, but unless I’m missing something, the elevation layout is to broad in distance.

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2019, 12:43
If you are looking for on trail navigation I would always suggest Guthooks. I described GAIA because I thought you needed it for more of a tool for analyzing hikes post trip.

alborg2
01-22-2019, 13:23
Take a look at https://caltopo.com
It took me about 30 seconds to generate this elevation profile, which I'll usually print out before a hike to show anyone hiking with me what they're getting into. You can also print the topo's directly from Caltopo. With a free account you can save up to 5 customized maps. Before a hike to a new location I'll first research it online to get some idea of the various intersecting trails and interesting sites along the way, and then create the route and waypoints using Caltopo. I'll then export all of that to a .gpx file and import that into Gaia GPS and download all the topos and satellite maps to my phone in the Gaia app. Tons of features and options on Caltopo, so just start poking around and you'll get the hang of it.

Southeast
01-22-2019, 15:46
I’ll second Caltopo.

Here’s a tutorial I put together. 11:45 shows elevation profile piece.

https://youtu.be/XNPCYmO5NZE

NumNum
01-22-2019, 16:15
Take a look at https://caltopo.com

I’ll second Caltopo.

Here’s a tutorial I put together. 11:45 shows elevation profile piece.

https://youtu.be/XNPCYmO5NZE

This is what I am looking for, thank you both!

madgoat
01-25-2019, 14:24
Other nice thing about caltopo is that after you make the map and print it out (on your screen, as a pdf, or as a hardcopy) you can scan the QR code at the bottom and open it up in Avenza, which will allow you to easily use the map you made in caltopo for gps tracking.

Who else remembers going to "The Map Store" and geeking out on all the maps you could get there? Oh how the internet has changed the world.

Venchka
01-25-2019, 18:59
CalTopo for sure. Create the profile. Expand. Export to PDF. Print 8.5x11. If you have a double sided printer you can print map on one side and profile on the other.
Wayne

RangerZ
01-25-2019, 19:13
Other nice thing about caltopo is that after you make the map and print it out (on your screen, as a pdf, or as a hardcopy) you can scan the QR code at the bottom and open it up in Avenza, which will allow you to easily use the map you made in caltopo for gps tracking.

Who else remembers going to "The Map Store" and geeking out on all the maps you could get there? Oh how the internet has changed the world.

I’ll do you one better. Since I’m an engineer with a long T square ( don’t go there ) I remember connecting the UTM tick marks on USGS maps to make the grids. Tedious work that you don’t want to get wrong.

In another former life, back in the stubby pencil days, I remember looking at maps grid square by grid square to determine slopes and trafficability. One of the reasons that I wear glasses.