PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Messengers and Locator Beacons

sethd513
01-22-2019, 13:38
What do you use? How is the interface for users and also people looking into your location? Needs to work in cold temperatures. It seems like spot is the cheapest upfront cost and monthly cost but reviews I’ve read say it’s unreliable. I was leaning that way but then thought garmin inreach explorer+ but now I’m way up on price initially and monthly. Thanks in advanced for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2019, 13:39
The spot is really the only device I have ever seen on the trail. I have personally used the "my location" feature that is in guthooks a couple times but only for social media/ texting.

lonehiker
01-22-2019, 14:22
This thread should be a sub-thread of are we getting softer...

Gambit McCrae
01-22-2019, 14:24

Dang did I do a redo thread? I broke my own rule :datz

tdoczi
01-22-2019, 14:26
which itself seemed to at least have been inspired by the "what perimeter defense system do you use while tenting?" thread.

sethd513
01-22-2019, 15:35
Listen, you guys can say what you want. It must be great to be so close minded. My post is to get some feedback. I’m not a thru hiker and don’t plan to be anytime. I want to know what device works in below 0 temperatures to let my wife know where I am or get me some help if something unplanned was to happen when I’m out solo without cell service. I’d say by the comments above you don’t camp/hike in sub zero conditions or you do and think you are the best mountaineer that ever lives. Give me some feed back on how great you are. [emoji120] Lets keep it on track

TNhiker
01-22-2019, 15:48
Listen, you guys can say what you want. It must be great to be so close minded. My post is to get some feedback

just a word of advice------if you didnt want a thread to deviate from your topic, as most threads will do with discussion boards--------there is the "Straight Forward" forum where "This will be a very strict forum. It is for questions and answers, related to hiking the Appalachian Trail. Any deviation from subject will be deleted."

Venchka
01-22-2019, 15:51
ResQLink+ PLB. Purchased from REI.
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
Be safe.
Wayne

cmoulder
01-22-2019, 15:52
InReach with phone EarthMate app is good for 2-way. You can do it without the app but toggling thru the InReach screen keyboard will drive you nuts.

Hey, I'm old school, pre-GPS and pre-cellphone and can still git 'er done without 'em, but two pings a day are a small price to pay for maintaining marital harmony. And if the poop does hit the blower... well there's an option to maybe live to hike another day.

renais
01-22-2019, 15:54
In the past I've gone on hikes as long as 21 days when there was no expectation from anyone that I would be in contact before that. If I had had even a small injury early in the trips which kept me from coming out of the mountains, I could easily have been dead before anyone even knew I had any problems. I used Spot devices for a number of years, and had reasonable luck getting out messages, but there were times when failures occurred. For a few years now I've used InReach, both for work and hiking, and have yet to have any problems communicating. I may be mistaken, but the last time I looked, it appeared that the monthly fee for Spot devices was higher than that of the basic InReach plan. My plan includes emergency notifications, of course, as well as unlimited preset text messages which can be sent to my family and friends showing my position and status. I also have 10 ad hoc text messages which can be sent at no additional charge per month. Since I may be hiking for months at a time, and often out of cell service for a few days at a time, InReach is an enormous help in assuaging any concerns among family and friends. My device is about 7.7 oz., and has a usb rechargeable battery which lasts for well over a month and a half without recharging if I just send a status message once or twice a day. I usually send a message at the end of the day as I set up the tent; if I'm behind planned distance, message can indicate if the hiking was extra difficult, or if I have a minor injury, etc.. Otherwise the all's well message also gives my location in the text which is a link to a google map showing my camp. InReach also comes with an excellent phone app allowing you to control the device and type messages on your phone to be sent over the Iridium satellite network. If I were buying another InReach today I would consider the newish mini InReach which is only about 3.5 ounces, and has a simpler user interface, but still all the communication capabilities.
Renais

sethd513
01-22-2019, 15:54
InReach with phone EarthMate app is good for 2-way. You can do it without the app but toggling thru the InReach screen keyboard will drive you nuts.

Hey, I'm old school, pre-GPS and pre-cellphone and can still git 'er done without 'em, but two pings a day are a small price to pay for maintaining marital harmony. And if the poop does hit the blower... well there's an option to maybe live to hike another day.

That’s all I’m going for

Venchka
01-22-2019, 15:59
It shouldn’t be too difficult to keep the unit warm in your hands, inside pocket, etc.
ResQLink+ Battery specs.
“Battery, Operational Life
Exceeds required 24 Hours @ -4°F (-20°C)”
Wayne

sethd513
01-22-2019, 16:20
The only issue I have is keeping my phone warm at this point. iPhone 6. So I’m assuming anything I get might be bigger or now dealing with keeping both warm.

Time Zone
01-22-2019, 16:41
ResQLink+ PLB. Purchased from REI.
https://www.acrartex.com/products/resqlink-plus-plb
Be safe.
Wayne

Ditto here. Almost never have a cell signal where I hike anyway.

Venchka
01-22-2019, 16:51
Ditto here. Almost never have a cell signal where I hike anyway.
Ditto. My trailhead criteria includes loosing cell service before the pavement ends.
Wayne

cmoulder
01-22-2019, 16:59
PLBs are for summoning the cavalry, not the daily pings to let selected folks know where you are.

Another Kevin
01-22-2019, 17:20
This question comes up often enough (https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86715-PLB-or-no-PLB&p=1318047#post1318047) that I have a stock answer. (http://dftscript.blogspot.com/2012/07/originally-posted-at-httpwww.html)

I carried a (rented) SPOT on one longish (planned two-week) hike, for my wife's peace of mind. Nowadays she's more confident that if she doesn't hear from The Authorities, and I'm less than a day late, I'm probably fine. I don't feel any particular inclination to send real-time updates from the trail, and I go hiking in part to get away from the overload of other people constantly sending me whatever enters their heads.

bighammer
01-22-2019, 17:53
I've hiked in the Porcupine Mountains and on Isle Royal with a good friend who owns an InReach Mini. It was a little clunky to set up; the instructions were not real clear. (or clear enough for a couple 50+ guys) There was no cell service on either trip, and it was nice to be able to send texts to our wives at home to let them know that we were alive and well. It was also handy for getting weather forecast when the sky was getting questionable.

My son wants to walk on part of the AT this summer. I'm thinking we might own one of these devices in the near future. Besides backpacking, I also take motorcycle trips to/thru areas without consistent phone service. (I'd like to take a ride around Lake Superior)

TexasBob
01-22-2019, 19:37
The spot is really the only device I have ever seen on the trail..............

That maybe because people hang them on the outside of their pack. Folks with a PLB generally don't do that so you could be seeing folks who have a PLB but not seeing their device.

Tundracamper
01-22-2019, 19:54
Here’s how I look at it....

1. PLB ResQLink broadcasts at 5 Watts to get a signal to a government satellite and broadcasts a local homing beacon to get me help when the SHTF and I’m in serious trouble. They work.

2. Something like a satellite tracker/communicator broadcasts at less than 1.5 Watts and uses a commercial service that, based on reviews, doesn’t always work.

While 2 provides a superficial peace of mind, 1 provides a higher likelihood of actually working in a true emergency. Thus 1 provides my family with more comfort even though I may not be able to text them when I’m on the trail. They have peace in knowing that if I really need help, I’m likely to get it with a PLB.

Venchka
01-23-2019, 02:39
That maybe because people hang them on the outside of their pack. Folks with a PLB generally don't do that so you could be seeing folks who have a PLB but not seeing their device.
My PLB is strapped to a shoulder strap on my pack. If I need to light up the PLB I want it where I can reach it. Now!
Wayne

Feral Bill
01-23-2019, 03:06
Hmm? I need to think about this. Not getting younger, often go alone, rarely have cell service.

Maui Rhino
01-23-2019, 07:10
I got the original inReach back in 2013. It worked flawlessly to keep my wife informed/happy during my many misadventures. A few months ago, I upgraded to the new inReach Mini, which is simply the same device in a smaller package. Again, no problems so far, and I expect I'll be using it for many more years to come.

I went for the basic plan which is $15/mo. I get 5 free messages plus unlimited preset messages. I usually only message my wife each evening on overnight trips. Sometimes, I wait for a reply, sometimes not, and I never do tracking. When I hiked the JMT, I did the math, and realized it was still cheaper to stay on the same plan and just pay the extra 50¢ per msg than to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

You mentioned cold weather use, and I can't really speak to that since I live in Hawaii. My last overnighter only got down to 37°. The Mini is small enough to fit in your pocket, and I think this is your best solution .... Short of taping handwarmers to it, anyway. ��

Long story short, I love my inReach and I think you will too.

cmoulder
01-23-2019, 07:54
I agree w/InReach always working, altho under dense, wet cover it might take a while. And you get confirmation that the message actually went thru. I switched from Spot (Gen3) because several times pings did not get thru under crystal clear skies with no canopy overhead.

Spot worked flawlessly for me for a good while... about 3 years... until it didn't.:o

Five Tango
01-23-2019, 08:39
Here’s how I look at it....

1. PLB ResQLink broadcasts at 5 Watts to get a signal to a government satellite and broadcasts a local homing beacon to get me help when the SHTF and I’m in serious trouble. They work.

2. Something like a satellite tracker/communicator broadcasts at less than 1.5 Watts and uses a commercial service that, based on reviews, doesn’t always work.

While 2 provides a superficial peace of mind, 1 provides a higher likelihood of actually working in a true emergency. Thus 1 provides my family with more comfort even though I may not be able to text them when I’m on the trail. They have peace in knowing that if I really need help, I’m likely to get it with a PLB.

This is why I carry the ResQLink.I keep it in the hipbelt and otherwise don't even think about it.My wife operates on the "no news is good news" theory and I generally hike with others,so it's no big deal.I am already paying enough "monthly fees" and decided to draw the line somewhere,hence ResQLink as there is no monthly fee.

Traveler
01-23-2019, 08:53
FWIW, I have used SPOT devices for a number of years without issue. There are some limitations in the GPS tracking that include heavy canopy, in canyons or ravines and other areas where the device cannot see much of the sky, however these have been rare and did not impact their effectiveness for home tracking.