PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear underwear?

mattydt20
02-23-2006, 12:59
My girlfriend and I are getting ready to start our thru-hike. She's been wondering whether or not she should wear underwear. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mountain Maiden
02-23-2006, 15:49
This is pretty much an individual preference. If she usually does and likes it that way--go for it. The worst that can happen is that she gets on the Trail and decides otherwise--then pitches them in the next town. (not on the Trail or in a shelter, pls.)

When I broke my arm while thru-hiking--I found wearing a dress sans undies made life much easier. Never went back.

This is prob something your girlfriend can decide for herself. Or--maybe you are trying to influence:) her?

"Oh yeah, Hon--come on--everyone does it!" LOL

Pls tell her if she has any questions or concerns--come talk to us--the women here are glad to help

Doppleganger
02-23-2006, 18:16
I think, male or female, without good undies chafing could be a real problem.

Mouse
02-23-2006, 18:23
I just wore a pair of lined running shorts most of the time.

gsingjane
02-23-2006, 18:52
I don't know if you mean well or not, but IMO this is not an appropriate subject for a public board. I refuse to ever contribute to threads on things like underwear, menstrual cycles, my (or others') sex life, and so forth... it is way too personal and TMI in my view. I would like to meet some of the people on this board in person someday and posting about these subjects is a *definite* overshare. Plus which, I can't imagine my husband asking for advice on whether I should wear underwear or not. I'd smack him just for thinking about putting something out in public like that.

Just tell your girlfriend to decide for herself and leave the rest of us out of it. PLEASE.

Jane in CT

Mountain Maiden
02-23-2006, 19:03
I did not experience chafing but some who do use "Bodyglide" to minimize friction. Bicycle shorts work for well for some, too.

Megabite
02-23-2006, 20:10
I wore a mountain hardwear hiking kilt the for almost the entire trail - I switched from zip off pants in NC. I'll never hike long distance again without it! A pair of capilene boxers (loose!) underneath, and I didnt have any issues with chafing, even during the height of summer.

-- MB

jackiebolen
02-23-2006, 22:55
Forget the underwear. I never wear any while hiking and find that the airflow cuts down on chafing considerably.

But if you do wear underwear, never, ever, ever wear cotton.

mattydt20
02-24-2006, 21:57
I don't know if you mean well or not, but IMO this is not an appropriate subject for a public board. I refuse to ever contribute to threads on things like underwear, menstrual cycles, my (or others') sex life, and so forth... it is way too personal and TMI in my view. I would like to meet some of the people on this board in person someday and posting about these subjects is a *definite* overshare. Plus which, I can't imagine my husband asking for advice on whether I should wear underwear or not. I'd smack him just for thinking about putting something out in public like that.

Just tell your girlfriend to decide for herself and leave the rest of us out of it. PLEASE.

Jane in CT

Thanks for your dollar and 2 cents worth. It really was an honest question with no intention to sicken your stomach with. The question merely asks an opinion regarding an article of clothing. If you don't like the thread, don't answer. As a male, I can't tell her a female's opinion, and opinions do differ between sexes.

To the rest of you, thank you for your opinions without the bitter remarks.

Cuffs
02-24-2006, 22:57
Matty, as a newbie hiker, I cannot respond to your question. But, I can thank you for posting it. Thanks!! Yea, it's a delicate situation, but there is some great info here, and I will be trying several of them!

Thanks again Matty!!

mambo_tango
02-25-2006, 03:11

Jane in CT

I thought this is what the forum was for.

Toolshed
02-25-2006, 09:40

Jane in CT
I hadn't thought posting about wearing underwear could be such a big deal, but ..... obviously .......the thread caught your attention and you read it thread, and even posted - Even though it was TMI. I find that mildly amusing.:-?

Hammock Hanger
02-25-2006, 10:11
skirt and tee that's it for me...

CreakyBonze
02-27-2006, 17:22
skirt and tee that's it for me...

OMG, gotta have a bra w/that or I'd trip over my saggy maggies.

Gitter bug
02-27-2006, 18:28
I feel the same way Geohabit does....I'm a newbie and I need all the info a girl can get! Thanks.

lilmountaingirl
02-27-2006, 18:37

:D That made me laugh right out loud.

I'm hiking in a kilt and plan on wearing the Patagonia seamless boyshorts underneath (wicking and incredibly comfy ~ plus, can double as swimwear w/ a sportsbra...AND...makes changing in mixed company easy). Can't imagine wearing a kilt w/nada when the wind is whipping.:eek: If my system doesn't work, I'll change it.

Hammock Hanger
02-27-2006, 19:17

In 2004 I was leaning on the Big Katahdin sign getting my picture taken. My partner told me I might want to move the right boob, as it was blocking the sign. I said the K in Katahdin with a smile, he said no the S in Springer. We both got a laugh out of it. Talk about saggie maggies!!:eek:

NotYet
02-27-2006, 19:35
I wear shorts with mesh liners. They are very breathable and comfortable for me. Plus I feel much cleaner on my hikes because I rinse the liner out each night. By morning they are usually completely dry.

astrogirl
02-27-2006, 21:48
No underwear, but I wear running tights and they would just bind up and be a total disaster.

Icicle
03-01-2006, 11:33
I wear Lowe Alpine hiking underwear - can't remember their proper name - but they are a bit like biking shorts (shorter in the leg though). They do tend to *pong* a bit after a while - but they dry incredibly fast after rinsing them out.

I have considered the kilt sans underwear ensemble - my husband did his thru hike last year that way.

Spirit Walker
03-01-2006, 11:42
I wear cheap nylon underwear when hiking. They dry fast. I didn't wear a bra on my last long hike - but looking at the photos, I should have. When I lose weight, I lose it first in my bust - but gravity is still a powerful force, especially when you're over 40.

CreakyBonze
03-03-2006, 00:50
In 2004 I was leaning on the Big Katahdin sign getting my picture taken. My partner told me I might want to move the right boob, as it was blocking the sign. I said the K in Katahdin with a smile, he said no the S in Springer. We both got a laugh out of it. Talk about saggie maggies!!:eek:

OK, THAT made me laugh out loud!! And I can certainly relate!

Blissful
03-06-2006, 23:31
Just wanted to say that I hiked in the Ex Officio travel briefs and found them to be incredibly comfortable. No riding up, no cutting in, etc. I went today to REI and used my 20% coupon to get a second pair, I like them that much. So I'm set for my thru hike. ;)

Diomede
03-08-2006, 01:58

Jane in CT

I thought this post was very ironic, until I realized the name was "gsingjane" and not "gstringjane" Oh well.:D