PDA

View Full Version : This has to be embarrissing.

Slo-go'en
01-26-2019, 17:27
A hiker had to be carried out of Zeland Hut earlier this week due to a broken hip.

The cause of the accident?

He feel out of a bunk!

ghostman74
01-26-2019, 17:30
A hiker had to be carried out of Zeland Hut earlier this week due to a broken hip.

He feel out of a bunk!

Happens to the best of us. He needs a good story about a bear. I’d support that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
01-26-2019, 18:28

He feel out of a bunk!

I'd heard that he hurt himself earlier hiking, stayed at the hut hoping it would get better, then hurt himself again. Didn't know he fell out of the bunk. Zealand hut isn't too bad of a carryout. Not like some of them

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2019, 18:41
https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/local/injured-hiker-carried-out-from-zealand-hut/article_47d0118c-1e87-11e9-8b62-6f5543f075ae.html

gpburdelljr
01-26-2019, 18:59
https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/local/injured-hiker-carried-out-from-zealand-hut/article_47d0118c-1e87-11e9-8b62-6f5543f075ae.html
I read this article, and two more that I found. None mention a broken hip, or falling out of a bunk.

Southeast
01-27-2019, 00:32
At least they didn’t have to get helicoptered out like this doctor in NZ who also fell off a bunk. Found this while searching for the article.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11691961

cliffordbarnabus
01-27-2019, 00:56

He feel out of a bunk!
what's more "embarrassing"? the spelling of your post? or how someone "feel"s out of a bunk? c'mon english!

Sarcasm the elf
01-27-2019, 01:07
what's more "embarrassing"? the spelling of your post? or how someone "feel"s out of a bunk? c'mon english!
In written English it is customary to capitalize the first letter of each sentence as well as the first letter of proper nouns such as the word English. Additionally the use of sentence fragments is frowned upon. :rolleyes:

gracebowen
01-27-2019, 01:51
Nevermind I didn't read close enough. Elf already pointed out it's

English.

gracebowen
01-27-2019, 01:53
I don't think c'mon is a proper contraction either.

Feral Bill
01-27-2019, 02:56
I don't think c'mon is a proper contraction either. I would say it is a common contraction. It is not standard English, but this is not formal writing.

MtDoraDave
01-27-2019, 08:44
With a broken hip, or any serious injury, I would imagine that pride has left the equation, and embarrassment is the last thing a person would be worried about.

tdoczi
01-27-2019, 10:16
i wonder if the hiker is a collage student

Maineiac64
01-27-2019, 13:39
What’s embarrassing about an accident like this?

gracebowen
01-27-2019, 13:58
Tdoczi me wander too.

Edited too make me engleesh worser.

gracebowen
01-27-2019, 14:00
I would say it is a common contraction. It is not standard English, but this is not formal writing.

Don't mind me. That post waz directad at da grammer poleece.

dudeijuststarted
01-27-2019, 14:21
i thought you were gonna say he was slappin' pap

Slo-go'en
01-27-2019, 15:22

No, 63 years old. I heard the story from a local who was familiar with the incident and what wasn't reported.

Sorry about my spelling, sometimes I don't see them until after I post. Guess I need to pony up a donation again so I can edit.

Puddlefish
01-27-2019, 17:40
No, 63 years old. I heard the story from a local who was familiar with the incident and what wasn't reported.

Sorry about my spelling, sometimes I don't see them until after I post. Guess I need to pony up a donation again so I can edit.

My useless super power is spotting spelling and grammar errors in that half second after I hit the post button.

Deadeye
01-27-2019, 20:58

Artists are the worst.

Odd Man Out
01-27-2019, 23:12
I was just a few hours into my first hike when I slipped on a wet rock. As I was suspended in mid air with my feet over my head for a fraction of a second on the way to the ground, a whole train of thoughts we through my head. One of those was "I hope no one is around to see this. That would be embarrassing.".

Traveler
01-28-2019, 07:58
Embarrassing or not, I'll bet it was a painful journey out with each jarring movement.

Clearly a collage education is advisable given professionals recognize this as the top 3,406th most dangerous activity one can engage in.

LittleRock
01-28-2019, 10:29
My only fall on my last section hike? On flat, easy trail, 10 feet from a busy highway crossing, next to a trailhead parking lot where a bunch of day hikers saw it happen. Looked up too early to start watching for a break in the traffic, tripped over the one root on the trail, and fell straight forward into a mud puddle.

ldsailor
01-28-2019, 12:27
A fall in mud? This short video is the king (or should I say queen) of all embarrassing falls.

https://youtu.be/Eb31CYGQj8k

Bubblehead
01-28-2019, 13:32
Back in 2016 I was stepping down those small wooden footholds from the upper level of the Fontana Hilton and fell hard on my ass. Very lucky I didn't break anything...

Old Hillwalker
01-28-2019, 16:48
For those of you that say "he just fell out of bed", I'll bet most on here don't realize that some of the huts have bunks built five high. A fall from the topmost bunk could be pretty severe. A 12 foot fall if you roll off in the middle of the night in an unheated, unlighted bunkroom. Just think about it.

Dogwood
01-28-2019, 17:20
For those of you that say "he just fell out of bed", I'll bet most on here don't realize that some of the huts have bunks built five high. A fall from the topmost bunk could be pretty severe. A 12 foot fall if you roll off in the middle of the night in an unheated, unlighted bunkroom. Just think about it.

Indeed. Not unreasonable if one is accustomed to sleeping in a bed 30"-34" off the floor getting out of bed and expecting the floor to be there for support. Then, suddenly it's not because you momentarily forgot where you were.

Dogwood
01-28-2019, 17:24
A fall in mud? This short video is the king (or should I say queen) of all embarrassing falls.

https://youtu.be/Eb31CYGQj8k

If I had been witnessing this in real time I would have predicted it. The girls could have used trekking poles or a found branch for a balancing staff or pole vault. A branch could have been used to determine the depth of the mud.

Feral Bill
01-28-2019, 19:08
If I had been witnessing this in real time I would have predicted it. The girls could have used trekking poles or a found branch for a balancing staff or pole vault. A branch could have been used to determine the depth of the mud. Young kids. At least they have a sense of humor about it.

tdoczi
01-28-2019, 19:09

it makes one wonder though, how are all the differently abled hikers who have to use the wheelchair ramp to gain access to the hut supposed to get into the upper bunks? i smell a lawsuit.

T.S.Kobzol
01-30-2019, 20:12
it makes one wonder though, how are all the differently abled hikers who have to use the wheelchair ramp to gain access to the hut supposed to get into the upper bunks? i smell a lawsuit.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gracebowen
01-31-2019, 03:04
Indeed. Not unreasonable if one is accustomed to sleeping in a bed 30"-34" off the floor getting out of bed and expecting the floor to be there for support. Then, suddenly it's not because you momentarily forgot where you were.

Oh wow I hadn't thought of that and I can totally see it happening.
At work they mooved a trash can. I still sometimes throw trash on the floor where the trash can used to be.

Another Kevin
01-31-2019, 17:46
In written English it is customary to capitalize the first letter of each sentence as well as the first letter of proper nouns such as the word English. Additionally the use of sentence fragments is frowned upon. :rolleyes:

Fragments. Good device. Must use more of them.

Is a sentence without a subject.

Another Kevin
01-31-2019, 17:49
At work they mooved a trash can..

Was it getting in the way of the cows?

tdoczi
01-31-2019, 19:27
Is a sentence without a subject.
the proper fragment youre looking for is, i believe, "sentence without subject" the articles are usually extraneous as well.

Dogwood
01-31-2019, 19:46
Oh wow I hadn't thought of that and I can totally see it happening.
At work they mooved a trash can. I still sometimes throw trash on the floor where the trash can used to be.
It can be worse, like if you're accustomed to going to the bathroom while still half asleep, then, moving to a new environment with the bathroom located in a different place. Worse for men who stand up. That trash can could be mistaken for a urinal. :D

Ever descend steps expecting another step or two because that's what your accustomed and you hyper extend your leg when you actually are at the floor?

gracebowen
02-01-2019, 01:05
It can be worse, like if you're accustomed to going to the bathroom while still half asleep, then, moving to a new environment with the bathroom located in a different place. Worse for men who stand up. That trash can could be mistaken for a urinal. :D

Ever descend steps expecting another step or two because that's what your accustomed and you hyper extend your leg when you actually are at the floor?

Ouch. No but once after recently changing barracks I went to my old room. I put my key in and opened the door. Only when I saw none of my stuff did I realize I went to my old room.

I probably shouldn't have but I tested a few other locks. I had been given a master key. I went to supply and exchanged the master for a regular key.