PDA

View Full Version : Need quick response about switching form tent to tarp

Thumper 2006
02-23-2006, 18:53
I have a question about switching from my MSR Microzoid tent to a company called tarptent (tarptent.com). Does anyone have any experience with the virga 2 that is made by this company? I is more of a tarp like structure but has bug meshing at the bottom which is a plus. Most tarps do not have this feature and is why I have not purchased one until I came across this company which makes this design.

Programbo
02-23-2006, 20:27
That`s an interesting design and concept..I sold backpacking and mountaineering equipment for 11 years and evaluated designs of new items for various companies..If it was something I was just going to use every now and then I`d take this over a tarp and save the extra weight of a tent..But then again some of the ultralight tents aren`t but another pound or so over this

hopefulhiker
02-23-2006, 20:36
I used this tent the entire time on my thru hike.. It is an excellent choice. Very roomy and dry, easy to set up and versatile.. I could cook under the beak.. It kept bugs out.. Good floor.. you can vary the height and set up.. It is very light weight and durable. I loved that tent... I found that the only problem was condensation during hard rain in warm weather.. This can be fixed by sleeping colder. Using just a sleeping bag liner for instance. Condensation is caused by a difference in temperature.. So if you don't heat up the tent like a furnace there will be no condensation.. Also in little wind situations try to set up the tent to maximize air flow... I would definetly carry that tent again.. Henry Shires is a great designer!

bullseye
02-23-2006, 20:48
I highly recommend Henry Shires products! I bought the Squall w/ floor 2 years ago and would buy again. I spoke w/ Henry when I was buying and he was a great help. Even told me to use it for a weekend and if I wasn't happy send it back! Didn't even consider it! :D

Bob Baker
02-23-2006, 21:55
Im currrently a tent user and plan on purchasing the rainshadow. For me the combination of weight and price is just too much to pass up. Everything I have heard about them has been good.

Ender
02-24-2006, 11:26
I personally haven't used a tarptent product, but tons of my hiking friends do, and they all rave about them. Plus, I've met Henry Shires, and he's a stand up guy. I don't think you'll go wrong with his product. His new Rainshadow is very intriguing to me...

Homecoming Queen
02-24-2006, 11:38
We own two tarptents -- a Cloudburst and a Virga, both with sewn in floors. They are easy to set up and do a wonderful job of protecting us from the elements and keeping out the bugs. In one of my backyard testing experiences, I learned that when it rains the sides of the tarptent have to be securely staked out tight or water will run down the side of the tent, through the mesh and onto the floor. Lesson learned. :o

D'Artagnan
02-24-2006, 12:54
I just ordered the Cloudburst 2 last week and eagerly anticipate its arrival on 2/28/06 (I keep checking UPS tracking). I first learned about Tarptent here and after a LOT of weighing the options, decided to take the plunge. I hope it's what I expect -- I have no reason to believe it won't be based on all I've read about Henry and his company. I can't wait!

Just Jeff
02-24-2006, 13:02
I'm surprised there aren't more tarptent users chiming in...maybe because "tarptent" isn't in the thread title. I've never used one, but whenever the topic comes up people seem to rave about the product and about Henry Shires. I don't think I've ever heard any significant criticism of either - some condensation under certain conditions, but that's the case with any single-wall tent, and even in tarps sometimes.

There was a recent review at www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com) , and scroll down to the bottom right of this page: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/

Alligator
02-24-2006, 13:26
I'm surprised there aren't more tarptent users chiming in...maybe because "tarptent" isn't in the thread title.
Yes. I looked in on it first pass because it said tarp. If it had said tarptent, I wouldn't have checked it right away.

If you use search, there are lots of good recommendations for tarptents scattered throughout different threads the wonderer. And I believe that Henry is pretty quick about checking here at WB too, one aspect of what is cited as his top notch customer service.

I'd give serious consideration to buying one of these for a LDH. I think that day in and out rain or constant bugs would wear down my preference for a regular tarp.

Lilred
02-25-2006, 15:56
We own two tarptents -- a Cloudburst and a Virga, both with sewn in floors. They are easy to set up and do a wonderful job of protecting us from the elements and keeping out the bugs. In one of my backyard testing experiences, I learned that when it rains the sides of the tarptent have to be securely staked out tight or water will run down the side of the tent, through the mesh and onto the floor. Lesson learned. :o

The sides need to be staked out when it rains, yes, but not tightly. The tighter you pull the sides, the more headroom you lose inside. I have a Squall and absolutely love it. I did experience condensation with it, but with the amount of headroom in this tent, I could still change clothes without hitting the top or sides of this tent. One swipe with a bandana fixes that problem in the morning anyhow. Henry Shires is excellent to work with. He has a new clasp style for attaching the beak to the guyline this year on the Squall 2. I emailed him about getting it for the '03 Squall I have, and he immediately sent one out in the mail to me....no charge! You cannot go wrong with a tarptent from Shires in quality or customer service, imho.