PDA

View Full Version : Oregon and Washington trip planning

evyck da fleet
01-27-2019, 18:35
I’ve got a couple of weeks this year (anytime between May 1 and August 31) to hike out west. I was thinking of renting a car in Oregon and driving to Seattle hitting parks along the way for day hikes.

In the early planning stages, I’m looking at Crater, Columbia River, Ranier and leaving the Enchantments for last assuming I’ll work up to the 18 mile traverse.

To those who have hiked in the northwest when would you recommend going? Any issues with black flies, bears etc? Anything else I should see?

thanks

Feral Bill
01-27-2019, 18:59
Are you camping along the way? Rainier has lots of base camp and day hike potential. Take a look at the White River/ Sunrise area on the east side of the park.

evyck da fleet
01-27-2019, 22:10
Are you camping along the way? Rainier has lots of base camp and day hike potential. Take a look at the White River/ Sunrise area on the east side of the park.

Yes, I’ll do a combo of tenting and hotels once I figure out the general plan. The car is for flexibility should I fall behind or get ahead of schedule and want to add something. Or if I need to change plans due to nature or if I meet someone who tells me of some place I need to detour to see. I’m assuming I won’t get or try for Enchantment or Wonderland permits so a few night Ranier loop is fine.

Feral Bill
01-27-2019, 22:26
Wonderland Trail takes a week or (better in my opinion) two. It's a project. I'd expect you could get other back country permits as a walk in if you are flexible. Consider the White River Camp Ground. It is very nice and lot's of hikes (day and overnight) nearby.

evyck da fleet
01-27-2019, 22:54
Thanks. I assume any time in July or Aug is fine but busy (and earlier than that may be iffy).

I didn’t get Wonderlsnd last year so I did a Bryce Zion Antelope Grand Canyon south rim loop instead. I kinda like the idea of doing something like that again as opposed to just one trail.

Feral Bill
01-27-2019, 23:18
Thanks. I assume any time in July or Aug is fine but busy (and earlier than that may be iffy).

I didn’t get Wonderlsnd last year so I did a Bryce Zion Antelope Grand Canyon south rim loop instead. I kinda like the idea of doing something like that again as opposed to just one trail.

Take a look at the William O Douglas Wilderness, just east of Rainier. I'm considering a loop there in September.

garlic08
01-28-2019, 09:16
Back in 2009 and again in 2013 I had no problem at all getting walk-in permits for the Wonderland Trail. I hear there have been changes though. There are some nice loops at the north end of the park.

Bears and flies are nuisances for sure. If you can go during berry season, later in the summer, that's a real treat.

The Goat Rocks was my favorite stretch of the PCT and I would do that again. Same with the North Cascades and the Pasayten.

I don't think I'd hike Crater Lake in summer. It's an absolutely awesome ski tour in the off season, though.

I enjoyed the area around McKenzie Pass and would like to spend more time there.

The Olympic Peninsula coast is a different world.

Venchka
01-28-2019, 12:10

The Olympic Peninsula coast is a different world.

There it is!
Wayne