PDA

View Full Version : A place to cache food in Shenandoah?

hikermiker
01-27-2019, 19:46
Is there a place to cache food about halfway through the park near or along the AT? Will the campgrounds or resorts hold food packages?

chknfngrs
01-27-2019, 21:17
I haven’t heard of anyone doing this before outside of using their personal vehicle or having someone meet them at a road crossing. I think thru hikers tend to resuppply in waynesboro, and supplement at the waysides in-season.

HooKooDooKu
01-27-2019, 22:26
Are food caches even allowed in Shenandoah NP. I know that Great Smoky Mountains National Park does not allow food caches or storage of any type (with the exception of stuff in a car legally parked). A quick review of the SNP back country rules do not give an obvious answer.

Slo-go'en
01-27-2019, 23:13
I doubt the waysides or campgrounds would hold a package for you. Even if they would be willing, you'd have to hand deliver it. Their in business to sell you food, not to store it for you. But you could ask. Not sure who you'd ask, seeing these places are all managed by a private contractor.

Just plan to eat at all the waysides and lodges. Which is where you'd be going anyway.

Hatchet_1697
01-27-2019, 23:20
Lots of bears in SNP, the only safe place would be a wayside (mail drop) or inn. I left a bag at the inn, but you might need to stay a night. Ask. I wouldn’t volunteer that you have food in the bag, it’s just a bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

stephanD
01-28-2019, 09:39
you can resupply at Luray. Call Allison from the Open Arms at the Edge of Town hostel.

LittleRock
01-28-2019, 10:12
There's really no need for food caches or mail drops in SNP. The waysides and campgrounds all have stores with plenty of good resupply items for hikers, and they're never more than 2-3 days hike apart.