PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

illabelle
01-28-2019, 14:41
It's 51 days till spring. Today it's sunny and 54° but tomorrow we're supposed to wake up to an inch or so of snow and falling temperatures.

To be sure, there are plenty of things on my to-do list that can and should be accomplished during these short winter days and long winter nights. But I sit here and dream about my hiking plans for the year...

Short of getting out there in the cold, what's everybody doing to pass the time?

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2019, 14:44
I’m keep busy by scanning the internet for things that offend me. :D

illabelle
01-28-2019, 14:56
Now that's funny!! Kinda why I started this thread, to distract from the OTHER discussion and give an outlet for our winter blues.

Gambit McCrae
01-28-2019, 14:56

Im offended!!!!

I am passing the time with whiskey and reading. Time with family and busy working. I have some trips planned, March 15th down to springer. Easter weekend is going to be spent connecting map 2 from tanyard to davenport. I wouldn't mind another completion of the northern smokies 1 weekend. The big shebang for me this year is Hanover nobo thru NH for 2 weeks.

illabelle
01-28-2019, 15:10
Im offended!!!!

I am passing the time with whiskey and reading. Time with family and busy working. I have some trips planned, March 15th down to springer. Easter weekend is going to be spent connecting map 2 from tanyard to davenport. I wouldn't mind another completion of the northern smokies 1 weekend. The big shebang for me this year is Hanover nobo thru NH for 2 weeks.

Reading is a forgotten pleasure! I used to read all the time, but life got too busy. Trying to change that, this month I've read two books, and put together four jigsaw puzzles. And I'm almost finished with a quilt that I started two years ago.

TNhiker
01-28-2019, 15:17
Reading is a forgotten pleasure! I used to read all the time, but life got too busy

my life is in shambles right now but my solace has been through reading.....

it also doesnt help that my town has a very good used bookstore...

last year---i knocked off 74 books...........and this month it's been 5 already.....

just dont ask me how many miles ive hiked last year.....

illabelle
01-28-2019, 15:23
my life is in shambles right now but my solace has been through reading.....

it also doesnt help that my town has a very good used bookstore...

last year---i knocked off 74 books...........and this month it's been 5 already.....

just dont ask me how many miles ive hiked last year.....
Wow! that's impressive. If I read 10-12 this year, I'd feel that I'd accomplished something. You are an over-achiever!
And if it's what I'm thinking of, that used bookstore is only a 2-minute drive from my work. Very convenient.

TNhiker
01-28-2019, 15:26
And if it's what I'm thinking of, that used bookstore is only a 2-minute drive from my work.

it probably is....

i believe we have talked about said place before.............

since i turned in my moms books to them----i have a ton of credit..........and thats not helping the cause...

Dan Roper
01-28-2019, 15:41
I don't have television, so most of my down time is spent reading or writing.
In Georgia, winter is usually the best time of the year for hiking. But this winter has been gnarly, with alot of rain and cold, windy days. But I managed a memorable day hike two weeks ago, mostly bushwhacking up, along, and back down a ridge in northwestern Georgia. I tried to put it into words, as best I could, which led to this:

Rime Ice

The rough, sunset side of Johns Mountain rears,
its worn, jutting rock forms strong battle lines,
o’er which frozen clouds sweep like tears
brushed by naked limbs and needled pines.

Each tear that touches branch or bristle
flash freezes as if transfixed by surprise,
delighted at dawn’s fog and windy whistle,
gently backlit by pearl, midwinter skies.

This misty world of softer sound and hue
shadows the thrush that flashes in sunlight,
shading its wing, to navy from sky blue,
and dims frosted pine, to silver from white.

When noon sun warms the lingering hoarfrost,
flakes tumble like teardrops, melt and are lost.

RangerZ
01-28-2019, 16:06
Short of getting out there in the cold, what's everybody doing to pass the time?

Extending thread drift in the women’s issue forum.

Figuring out out how to get thru the Whites this year.

Organizing mail drops.

Wash and dishes.

illabelle
01-28-2019, 16:17
Rime Ice

The rough, sunset side of Johns Mountain rears,
its worn, jutting rock forms strong battle lines,
o’er which frozen clouds sweep like tears
brushed by naked limbs and needled pines.

Each tear that touches branch or bristle
flash freezes as if transfixed by surprise,
delighted at dawn’s fog and windy whistle,
gently backlit by pearl, midwinter skies.

This misty world of softer sound and hue
shadows the thrush that flashes in sunlight,
shading its wing, to navy from sky blue,
and dims frosted pine, to silver from white.

When noon sun warms the lingering hoarfrost,
flakes tumble like teardrops, melt and are lost.
Outstanding! Words are funny things, some of them delicate, others robust. And when you connect them thoughtfully, purposefully, or in uncommon ways, you can make people cry, make them think, make them fight, make them sigh with pleasure. :)

Alligator
01-28-2019, 17:24
It's 51 days till spring. Today it's sunny and 54° but tomorrow we're supposed to wake up to an inch or so of snow and falling temperatures.

To be sure, there are plenty of things on my to-do list that can and should be accomplished during these short winter days and long winter nights. But I sit here and dream about my hiking plans for the year...

Short of getting out there in the cold, what's everybody doing to pass the time?Early spring cleanup.

Alligator
01-28-2019, 17:31
Added new "used" shelving to basement storage. Way better than stacking/restacking totes of gear. I can just pull out a tote from a shelf now, so much quicker!

Built a sleeping bag rack to hang bags from. Looks like a ladder laid flat from the top of one shelf to the other. I just hung the bags in half on each rung. Mostly scrap wood but I did have to buy one inch diameter by 6 ft wood dowel. I had another one from somewhere, not sure why I bought it originally. Hangs 7 bags.

illabelle
01-28-2019, 17:36
Added new "used" shelving to basement storage. Way better than stacking/restacking totes of gear. I can just pull out a tote from a shelf now, so much quicker!

Built a sleeping bag rack to hang bags from. Looks like a ladder laid flat from the top of one shelf to the other. I just hung the bags in half on each rung. Mostly scrap wood but I did have to buy one inch diameter by 6 ft wood dowel. I had another one from somewhere, not sure why I bought it originally. Hangs 7 bags.

Gear organization, storage, and maintenance. That's what winter is for. Reminds me of several things I should do before the 2019 hiking season gets underway. Take trekking poles apart and clean out the grit. Replace a pair of socks. Restock 10 essentials/first aid/etc.

peakbagger
01-28-2019, 18:15
I go out snowshoeing when the temps are warm and walk around the block on sunny days with microspikes. My woodlot in Randolph NH looks right over at Madison and Adams and is facing south so with the leaves are down I can check out the views into King Ravine and its lot easier to roam around the woods on a snowpack (if the crust sets up). Even if I have to break trail which is lot of work even if it snows I can usually follow the trail the next time with a lot less work. I also am thinning my woods and winter is good time to check how healthy the trees are. I pick the best one and then girdle the undesirable species and specimens around it for about a 25 foot radius. The area has a lot of sugarbushes for maple syrup production and many folks are out getting their tubing run for when the sap starts running. The biggest hurdle is January as the days are so short. I think we just got over 10 hours of daylight.

swisscross
01-28-2019, 20:24
Im offended!!!!

how do you drink whiskey and read?

Traffic Jam
01-28-2019, 20:59
Sadly, I moved all my gear from my clothes closet to the basement. While it’s now very organized and tidy, I really miss seeing it every day.

I’ve been testing my sleeping bag outside on cold nights, planning trips, and researching fleece in order to make some Malanzana-inspired pullovers. (I’ve been lusting over a Melanzana hoody but they are only available on the secondary market and are way over-priced.)

I’ve also been testing out layering systems and have been pleasantly surprised by several discoveries.

Time Zone
01-28-2019, 23:15

Sounds like a full-time job!

Credit: https://xkcd.com/386/

soilman
01-29-2019, 07:51
Building a cabin.

Gambit McCrae
01-29-2019, 08:52
how do you drink whiskey and read?

1 sip at a time

tiptoe
01-29-2019, 09:38
No TV at my house either, but "passing the time" is not an issue. In no particular order, I'm busy reading, splitting firewood and managing the woodstoves, seeing the grandkids, working out at the Y, walking the old husky, etc., etc. In a few weeks I'll be starting seeds for my garden. And yes, planning a summer backpacking trip. The trick to surviving a New England winter is staying active, physically and mentally.

PatmanTN
01-29-2019, 09:42
I've found the best remedy for Cabin Fever is to go backpacking. :)

This view is from the AT on January 5th:
https://photos.smugmug.com/2019/January-4-6-Newfound-government-shutdown-/i-bKKSv3Q/0/a22f205a/L/20190105_092953-L.jpg

Here is the trip report for that outing: https://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/193255.html

Last weekend I ran into that guy with the giant pack on Warriors Passage, in this photo he's crossing Wildcat Creek when the ambient temperature was about 19F:

https://photos.smugmug.com/2019/January-25-27-Bald-River-Warriors-Passage/i-MSTM9wF/0/f01741e5/L/20190126_134237-L.jpg

cmoulder
01-29-2019, 09:47
Get out and do dayhikes.

Even if you walk or slow jog only 3-4 miles per day, it will go a long way toward maintaining your base fitness for the arrival of warmer weather.

And you might even discover that you like winter backpacking. Just a few tweaks to your kit, your skill set and your attitude and whole new world lies before you.

Personally, I love getting out into the winter woods.

Leo L.
01-29-2019, 09:52
Great pics, Patman! Guess we know this huge pack quite well...

Usually we would start backcountry skiing, with peak season in Feb./March.
This year we had so much late snowfall that many routes are too dangerous for avalanches, so I didn't even bother to unpack the equipment.

So for me it's all about organizing for the upcoming desert trip, which will start within 10 days.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2019, 09:58
I've gotten plenty of exercise this winter keeping the driveway and roof free of snow. Looks like I'll get to do it again tomorrow.

And since the last storm was a heavy rain event (like 2" of rain in 18 hours), it blew apart the piping in the stream I draw water from and I can't find the end of the pipe which heads down to the house! So now I have to walk down the street to the outlet of a small spring and lug buckets of water home. Guess it's a good excuse to go outside everyday.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2019, 14:16
I've found the best remedy for Cabin Fever is to go backpacking. :)

Last weekend I ran into that guy with the giant pack on Warriors Passage, in this photo he's crossing Wildcat Creek when the ambient temperature was about 19F:

https://photos.smugmug.com/2019/January-25-27-Bald-River-Warriors-Passage/i-MSTM9wF/0/f01741e5/L/20190126_134237-L.jpg

Wow, great pic Patman. You came out on a Sunday and I hiked Old Furnace road out the next day on Monday---so I could shorten my trip and hang out with Little Mitten in this current snowstorm. Plus, my exit day might have proven difficult for Little Mitten to drive through and pick me up. Monday (yesterday) turned out to be the best weather day this week . . . for driving.

People talk about cabin fever in the winter but you're right, the best cure for cabin fever is to go backpacking. And then if you're lucky you may get Tent Fever after 4 days stuck in a storm in your tent.

Here's Patman preparing to ford at the same crossing in his above pic---on Wildcat Creek on the Warrior's Passage trail.

Selfie on the Warrior's Passage trail, taken Jan. 27, 2019.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2019, 14:19
Oh and as a side note---look down Wildcat Creek where I'm crossing and check out the faintly visible Log Jam---as olde Wildcat goes berserk on occasion. Here's a better pic of the logjam.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpack-2018-Trips-188-/20-Day-Quest-for-Wildcat-Creek/i-38BmK8S/0/b86afdc9/XL/Trip%20190%20%28418%29-XL.jpg

illabelle
01-29-2019, 17:46
People talk about cabin fever in the winter but you're right, the best cure for cabin fever is to go backpacking. And then if you're lucky you may get Tent Fever after 4 days stuck in a storm in your tent.
Cabin fever isn't quite so bad right now. But later in the winter when spring is peeping in the windows, that's when I really feel it! We'll do some dayhikes in February when we can, but by March we'll be itching to go deeper into the woods.

2 more days in January.
28 in February.
then 3 weeks till first day of spring.
:)